Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
DisturbedFigjam
Starter Motor

Default What to get? BF XR6 or FG XT or FG XR6

Hey guys, I get my license (P1) next month and Ive been looking at what i should get as my first car. Im deciding between a BF Xr6 or an FG XT. But Ive also had my eyes on the FG Xr6 which i would be able to afford if i hold out until the end of the year, Im really stuck on what i should aim to get
I also plan to keep the car until i get my full license.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

DisturbedFigjam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
buggo
[BU66OS]

Default Re: What to get? BF XR6 or FG XT or FG XR6

If you're deciding between BF or FG XR6 and don't miind waiting the year it's FG all the way. That is if you don't mind the extra $$$ you'll be putting out. Between BF and XT, just depends what fancies you the most.
The XR6 will be the 'cooler' car, but the XT is a new generation, as opposed the the BF being fully evolved. So you can upgrade your XT interior to G6E spec over the next few years, plus it'll be faster.

Just as a side note, 3 years ago I was in the same position as you and bought a 5 year old XR6. Now it's been a great car and I love it dearly, but on your red P's as much as you say to yourself now you won't ever drive it hard, spin the wheels etc etc- you will. Eventually you will see the signs and have to fork out the money to get it running nice. This on top of money doing it up in general adds up.
If I could have my time again, I'd have bought an ED or similar and taken out my youthful immaturity on that, then sell it for similar to what I bought it for then buy that FG which is now XT prices of a year ago and enjoy that- in your case. That being said I have no regrets of my choice.
Just my 2c

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
Struggo

If you can hold off, go the FG XR6.

Its well worth the wait.
Struggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Buy an old EF or something and save yourself a fortune in insurance !
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2012, 02:59 AM   #5
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

or
buy a runner, save some more cash and when you're on your full licence you will have some more cash to go towards something better or in better nick
?
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2012, 03:04 AM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

It's great to have a nice vehicle when young ... and if you can afford it ... that's great.

But if you have to stretch to just buy that vehicle ... you need to take into account the other things like recurring rego/insurance as well. Things add up.

I'd say get the early years of driving out of the way with a cheaper vehicle that will save you some cash .... and then allows you to save more for that better vehicle later on after you get off your Ps.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
DisturbedFigjam
Starter Motor

Thanks for the reply's. Ive taken into account all the other costs, comparing insurance the fg xt is the cheapest. Im curious about the performance differences between the xt and xr's mainly how the xt handles? The minimum amount of time i would keep the car is until i can afford something better after im on a full license which will most likely be after uni
DisturbedFigjam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post