Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #31
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Opel Astra GTC

Depends if it plough understeers like an absolute pig, like previous hot Astras did.

One area they need to fix.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #32
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
So if Opel price their cars right they will be on to a winner: the cars get rave reviews in the European press. However, if they price them too high, a la Mondeo (great car, too pricey, thus poor sales) then they will struggle against the Golf and Japanese rivals..
The Mondeo is/was the 2nd highest selling car in the medium class behind Camry, so I don't know where you're getting that from.

Or is it your usual bash Ford just for the sake of it dribble.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:25 PM   #33
madmatty
dipstick

Quote:
So if Opel price their cars right they will be on to a winner: the cars get rave reviews in the European press. However, if they price them too high, a la Mondeo (great car, too pricey, thus poor sales) then they will struggle against the Golf and Japanese rivals..
i agree,the mondeo a bit pricey,but i think the focus rs will own this opel.
madmatty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #34
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatty
GTC

Girls Town Car

comes in super fast yellow

sorry i cant get excited about this opel
So why you here? Your contribution to the thread has been full of nothing but uninformed and childish comments. We get the fact you don't like the car but you don't need to keep on about it, acting like a child.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:21 AM   #35
Nurb608
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatty
i agree,the mondeo a bit pricey,but i think the focus rs will own this opel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Depends if it plough understeers like an absolute pig, like previous hot Astras did.

Obviously fans of Top Gear ;)

I have the current model VXR and the torque steer is no where like what they showed on that show.

Also, my fastest time at Winton is a second quicker than the current RS in my Astra with alot less power and without the fancy suspension setup.

My fastest here in my daily driver http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/re...2011.WIN.S16.Y

Gordon with his race car RS fastest time here http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/re...10/2011.WIN.P1

* RS times taken from one of the only guys I knows who races his RS at Winton, unsure if there are others who are quicker there?
Nurb608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2012, 12:56 AM   #36
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
It also comes with a mechanical limited slip dif (as will the hot version of the Corsa). It only comes with a 6 sp manual, for real drivers then.....
None of this brake the inside wheel crap, about damn time someone released something which works 100%.

Also yay to manual!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8

My TDCI Focus does this, I think its because of the cast iron engine over the front wheels, its soft suspension setup and high profile tyres (205/55/16). It will push out really wide in any sort of hard cornering.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #37
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurb608
Obviously fans of Top Gear ;)

I have the current model VXR and the torque steer is no where like what they showed on that show.

Also, my fastest time at Winton is a second quicker than the current RS in my Astra with alot less power and without the fancy suspension setup.

My fastest here in my daily driver http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/re...2011.WIN.S16.Y

Gordon with his race car RS fastest time here http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/re...10/2011.WIN.P1

* RS times taken from one of the only guys I knows who races his RS at Winton, unsure if there are others who are quicker there?
As much as i love the RS, its funny how people can make comments about the VXR and RS being a Torque steer loony but have never driven one.

Having driven a standard RS and one that has been fairly modded (And to a lesser extent my Tuned XR5) the Torque steer is no where near as bad as people make out.

Thing is this market (Hot hatch) is fairly well covered in terms of choice, and having so much choice can be a PITA i know ill buy another hatch but what it will be i just couldnt say as i have no idea what it will be.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance

Last edited by DJM83; 05-05-2012 at 09:30 AM.
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #38
ZDHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
it's weird, you can see it's astra lineage, but no lion badge on the front.
Because they are making provision for a chev badge
1997 El Futura Saphire 11 Wagon
1985 xf Fairmont sedan
ZDHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #39
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
As much as i love the RS, its funny how people can make comments about the VXR and RS being a Torque steer loony but have never driven one.

Having driven a standard RS and one that has been fairly modded (And to a lesser extent my Tuned XR5) the Torque steer is no where near as bad as people make out.

Thing is this market (Hot hatch) is fairly well covered in terms of choice, and having so much choice can be a PITA i know ill buy another hatch but what it will be i just couldnt say as i have no idea what it will be.
No one I know has said that about the RS at all, all the talk has been about how well Ford managed to tame all that power going through the front wheels, and that torque steer is minimal.

Front end grip of the RS is supposed to be excellent.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #40
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Boss it wasnt totally directed at you.
And it is even with more power then the factory intended.
Anyway this thread is about the Opel not RS.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance

Last edited by DJM83; 06-05-2012 at 12:41 PM.
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #41
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

I really hope the Opel Insignia comes to Australia with a manual option (preferably in base diesel trim). I could stare at it all day; it looks stunning.
I'd take one of these Astras over a new Focus any day of the week (the old Focus is still the king of small cars though).
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #42
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

[PHP][/PHP]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC
I really hope the Opel Insignia comes to Australia with a manual option (preferably in base diesel trim). I could stare at it all day; it looks stunning.
I'd take one of these Astras over a new Focus any day of the week (the old Focus is still the king of small cars though).
Agreed. Hopefully they aren't priced out of the market. Opel have the product: a keen price will see then walk out of the showroom.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #43
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

The Opels have arrived and are on the forecourt of Eastside Mitsubishi in Nunawading... Awaiting Rego tomorrow, and for the Opel showroom to actually commence building !