Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Getting number plates remade...

Ive got personalised plates on my car......fair enough.......so do a stack of other members here too...
The thing is....my plates have now been on around 7-8 different cars and are full of holes, scratches and generally look pretty crappy...
So we turn up at the RTA to get em' remade.....until they tell me that its gonna' cost me nearly 300 bucks ff's!!....nup...stuff that...
This has made me start thinking.....what if the plates were "pinched" off the car?......
Id be given a set of normal plates to use while the RTA remade my personalised ones for a fraction of the cost?.....
Would this not be a more cost effective way of getting my plates remade?

New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
Edit by Crescent Motorsport.....382rwkws @ 1150nms on E85....
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Benjamin Smith

Default Re: Getting number plates remade...

PPQ will redo plates for about 80 bucks if you want to change design. RTA sucks balls by the sounds of things
Benjamin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
kempy311
BEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicXR6T
Ive got personalised plates on my car......fair enough.......so do a stack of other members here too...
The thing is....my plates have now been on around 7-8 different cars and are full of holes, scratches and generally look pretty crappy...
So we turn up at the RTA to get em' remade.....until they tell me that its gonna' cost me nearly 300 bucks ff's!!....nup...stuff that...
This has made me start thinking.....what if the plates were "pinched" off the car?......
Id be given a set of normal plates to use while the RTA remade my personalised ones for a fraction of the cost?.....
Would this not be a more cost effective way of getting my plates remade?
I think you will find if your plates were to be stolen then you cant get them remade again because somebody else may use them on another stolen car etc.
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
kempy311 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Yeah if you say they're stolen then those plates can never be issued again.

I think the RTA remake way is the only way.
Old 29-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
Rin Tin Tin
Starter Motor

Yep Kempy311 is correct. If your plates are lost or stolen they will not reissue the same plates to you. I use to lose them on the front of the 4x4 in water they made me change rego sticker and plates etc. This becomes a pain is the *** when you have to change etag deails and insurance etc.
Rin Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well....that's buggered that idea I guess.....:(

But then again......wonder how we'd go if I just lost ONE plate?
New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
Edit by Crescent Motorsport.....382rwkws @ 1150nms on E85....
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Here in Vic if your personalised plate/s is damaged, they charge only a nominal fee (used to be around $20 each but probably a bit more now) for replacement plates (same number and style) and send them to your address. Ordering of replacement plates can be done on the vicroads website. Its up to you then to hand in the damaged plates or destroy them yourself when you get the new ones.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
MrEL
Sick Puppy

My olds personalised plates were pinched off their 4x4 in the driveway in NSW. They did a police report and the RTA reprinted them. No issues what so ever.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 12:48 AM   #9
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mate had his stolen in Vic and vicroads replaced them, this was only months ago. I've heard of people in NSW getting them replaced with no issues whatsoever.

No need to scaremonger every thread starter on the forum.
Old 30-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Getting them replaced (in VIC) as someone said is pretty straight forward.

Same if you're in an accident and they are damaged.

Can't see what the issue is? Tell them that the plates have been damaged and are unreadable (meaning - you can't be identified by police or speed camera's) and they'll issue you a set (for a fee no doubt) with no sweat.

I've got 3 sets of plates - and as soon as I order a set - I get another 'replacement' set issued as well. From memory the last time I did it - they charged me $25.00 per plate. This way - i've always got a 'MINT' set at home in my filing cabinet, and a set on the car that can get battered and bashed and its no worry.

Its certainly not that hard.
Old 30-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #11
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Costs 80 in wa to get plates remade.
We cant hold onto our unused private plates in wa they get kept at the license centre closest to you.
I would say the authorities would rather you have new plates because they show up better in pictures from speeding fines
The old black and white plates from years ago dont show up real good on camera
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post