Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Do you have back problems?
Yes 141 82.94%
No 29 17.06%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #91
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Default Re: how many people on here have back problems?

I don't have much of back pain I guess, but my posture is TERRIBLE. I am about 6 foot 2 and only like, 60KG so I look a lot taller than I really am and that made me really self consious as a kid so I slouched to be the same height as everyone else. As a result of that, I have a hunch and an obvious curve at the base of my spine that my vertebrae stick out on my back. That could be because I'm so thin but the curvature is there.

My knee also gives me some trouble in the mornings and when it's cold. Also, late in the afternoon. Mid day it seems fine but it's like a headache in my knee lol. Only way I can describe it, a dull pain like a headache in my knee :P

Oh, I'm also only 20.
Old 26-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #92
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72
I don't have much of back pain I guess, but my posture is TERRIBLE. I am about 6 foot 2 and only like, 60KG so I look a lot taller than I really am and that made me really self consious as a kid so I slouched to be the same height as everyone else. As a result of that, I have a hunch and an obvious curve at the base of my spine that my vertebrae stick out on my back. That could be because I'm so thin but the curvature is there.

My knee also gives me some trouble in the mornings and when it's cold. Also, late in the afternoon. Mid day it seems fine but it's like a headache in my knee lol. Only way I can describe it, a dull pain like a headache in my knee :P

Oh, I'm also only 20.
6 foot 2" and only 60KG...!!!! WTF !!! You'd have to run round in the shower to get wet !! You must be a stick !!
Old 26-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #93
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Yeah, yeah. I know I get it all the time.

Have to admit I laughed pretty hard at the shower joke. Haven't heard that one before.
Old 26-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #94
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

41 years old and used to have chronic lower back pain that would have me flat on my back for days.

Did karate for bout 10 years and havent had any issues since.
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
hendrixhc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #95
Dr Jekkyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkgirl
I have nerve damage in my back at T12-L1. The nerve is cut where it exits the spine, caused by shockwave from a big impact.

I have pain every day, I cant sit or stand for long periods, and can't twist my torso. And the weather makes it play up too . No other treatments work so I am having nerve blocks for ever. Currently I have them every 3/4 months. Drugs like nurofen dont have any effect, so when I cant cope I take endone & tramadol (i try not to take them if I can help it, as its too hard to function after.). Occasionally the muscles on the right side of my back spasm & go rigid - when this happens I cant walk at all & have to take drugs normally given to cerebral palsy sufferers.

I couldnt work for many years, currently I am working full time but it is a big struggle. It has caused scoliosis (nothing like some of you guys) and twist & rotation of the pelvis. I have a great chiropractor who has helped lots in the last 18 months but i still have to be careful about what I do ( do I ride my bike for half an hour, or be able to walk tomorrow?). The injury literally affects everything I do.

Yeah, Im one of those people who look ok but have a cripple sticker
Just curious, have any doctors tried gabapentin or pregabalin to help you with this pain?

In the past their cost has been out of the reach of many people (never PBS subsidised and it takes a couple of weeks to achieve the full therapeutic response ) but now their cost has plummeted.

Maybe worth revisiting?
Dr Jekkyl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #96
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

3 compressed vertebrae from a head on car smash 28 years, just live with it and have Panadol or Ibuprophen. Never had follow up treatment after the accident.
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #97
damoose

Used to be a storeman and packer 30 years ago and back pain was part and parcel of the Job but years after having a desk job the pain was there all the damn time, Tried all the usual treatments from physio to even hanging upside down but nothing really worked So someone mentioned Acupuncture and being a huge skeptic I didnt believe anything like that actually worked but i was desperate so I thought it could,nt hurt
That day is one i will never forget the needles went in up and down my spine into my right leg and into the bottom of my foot. The doctor walks away nothings happening and I feel I have just blown a good portion of my pay packet for nothing the doctor comes back and starts tweeking some of the needles and then it happens pain excruciating pain in my lower back I reckon I nearly passed out I could feel every muscle in my lower back twisting pulsating and pulling against each other. Its hard to describe but anyone who has pulled a muscle through a sporting injury would understand and this went on for 10 minutes. The doctor returns and asked how I feel "totally ********D" I said he then starts removing each needle and the back spasms reduce with each needle he removes, the doctor in his broken english says" your back muscles are back where they belong your spine is aligned and any pain you feel will be gone in a couple of hours.
The bugger was right the pain was gone and has stayed gone for 30 years
I have never looked back

I dont know if acupuncture works for everybody but it sure did for me and dont let anybody tell you it doesnt hurt cause it bloody well does
Old 27-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #98
Pis-ton broke
Banned

I trim and shoe horses from time to time, that means me bent over for sometimes 20 to 30minutes at a trim and up to 1.5 hours for a shoe and then onto the next horse. so my observation is (for me) that the more i use my back , the less it hurts afterwards, cause i think the muscles get used to it. i,m 44 and although i do less horses now i refuse to give in to back pain , because my thinking is that the muscles have gone a bit weak, so i might do 4 horses on one day and a little sore muscles and next time maybe in the next two days, more horses and very little pain, and my back is re-adjusting to the work. I,ve never been to a chiro , does this sounds like bs or does it sound ok.
some of the xrays are terrible i see hear, poor fallas.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #99
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72

Oh, I'm also only 20.
we have a young guy at work and he is about 5.8. he has a hunch back, and he is skinny to. can,t you force yourself to stand up straight? can you get a back brace two straighten out, if you leave it to late in life you may be stuck with it.
Old 27-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #100
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have had a bad knee for 20 years but last few years my back has gone out.

People dont understand im compensating for my bad knee, very recently my ankle and hip is sore but im waiting for it to go away as i scared to speak up.

I can stand for more than 2 hours with my back atm. , then i need a 30miin sit down to calm my locked up muscles.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 01:19 AM   #101
my_gxl
Unintended Perfectionist

19 april 99-hyperextended my back.

I did 13 years in the military, and that was tough with a sore back. I was very active, and just had to live with it. Could not stand still for more than 5 mins-so parades were hell.

I don't have a job now (medical discharge), so unlike most other people, plenty of rest is what is good for me. I don't do painkillers much at all.

If i do too much it plays up, just like my knees. I lifted too much stuff last week...

I lift my daughter a lot, so that is enough exercise right there.
my_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #102
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekkyl
Just curious, have any doctors tried gabapentin or pregabalin to help you with this pain?

In the past their cost has been out of the reach of many people (never PBS subsidised and it takes a couple of weeks to achieve the full therapeutic response ) but now their cost has plummeted.

Maybe worth revisiting?

I have, in the past, had small runs of anti-depressants with varying effects.
Both the drugs you have mentioned (especially gabapentin) i would be unable to take due to the risk of kidney damage - I lost most function in my right kidney due to the same accident. I'm always asking the pain doc & gp if there's anything i can try for pain. My gp is willing to put me down for THC trials if they ever go ahead Thanks for the suggestion though - never hurts to ask again. Mostly after 20+ years i just suck it up.

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #103
LOWAU

I used to get back pain for a couple of days every two weeks or so.
Saw a osteopath that used to fix me for a week or so but then it would always come back.

I sit behind a desk all day and I would say that bad posture caused the pain.

Started going to the gym at lunch times to do weights and on back day concentrated a little more on strengthening my lower back and now there is no more pain.

Also my old man gets severe back pain due to injury and his secret is losing weight, helps with the pain in his back and knees!
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #104
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWAU

I sit behind a desk all day and I would say that bad posture caused the pain.

Started going to the gym at lunch times to do weights and on back day concentrated a little more on strengthening my lower back and now there is no more pain.
thats the point that i was trying to make.

if you use you back regularly it strengthens it, is just my observation.