Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Nath deserve's a Technical Contributor award for his willingness to share everything in his vast knowledge of tuning EEC-IV and -V Falcons, not to mention engines! 
Default Poor Fuel Usage - AU S1 VCT

Hey Guys,

Ive been trying to trouble shoot this for awhile,

Scanning the computer shows no codes but i am getting 22.8L/100KM when Driving around the city and it wont go under 14L/100 Highway driving.

I have changed O2, Injectors, Plugs, Coil, Leads, Fuel Reg & Pump, Cam Sensor, Crank Sensor and its still doing it.

My Mechanic and I are wondering if it is the MAP Sensor, my engine builder told me that it is a Common Issue on the Series 1 Engines?

Nathan

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
364w | 225cc CNC | ---/---@0.050 | Morrison Motorsport ITB Manifold | MoTeC M150 (Engine Control) | PCS TCM-2800 (Trans Control) | 6800rpm Stall | 4R75W
FAT245 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Re: Poor Fuel Usage - AU S1 VCT

G'day Fat245, can you smell fuel or any black smoke out the tailpipe? Is it chugging or missing? No codes being thrown makes it hard aye lol! Where's the temp needle sitting when warmed up? Thermostat stuck open? (throw your dash into diag mode to see what the temp is in real time- please use Google or use the AFF search function to find out how if you dont know), fuel leak somewhere, air filter dirty? You are not using e10 are you?

Coolant temp sensor on the back of the head could be a culprit not sure, au's have a iat sensor in the intake manifold which could be covered in oil doubt it if your motor is in good nick - earlier falcons had a map sensor on the firewall. Is the o2 sensor a cheapy? It could be faulty, its not unheard of. Maybe do another ecu reset?

Sorry for all the questions i feel like Dick Tracey lol, theres enough suggestions there to keep you busy mate! Hopefully other member's could offer their expertise too- theyre pretty cluey lol!

cheers,Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Nath deserve's a Technical Contributor award for his willingness to share everything in his vast knowledge of tuning EEC-IV and -V Falcons, not to mention engines! 

I can't smell fuel but the tail pipe is black as. Its not missing but the engine is rough at idle and sometimes stalls when i go full throttle and i have to back off for it to recover, does this more so when the aircon is on.

When all this is happening, the needle never moves from the \ before NORMAL, No Fuel Leaks, Filter is new, and i always run either 95 or 98.

We have cleaned the BBM with the Subaru Upper engine cleaner.

O2 Sensor is a Genuine Bosch Unit and ihave tried it in another car with no issues.

ECU Resets do not seem to make a difference either.

Thanks for the Help Maka.

Nathan

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
364w | 225cc CNC | ---/---@0.050 | Morrison Motorsport ITB Manifold | MoTeC M150 (Engine Control) | PCS TCM-2800 (Trans Control) | 6800rpm Stall | 4R75W
This user likes this post:
Old 29-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has the catalytic convertor been checked?
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Brand New Magnaflow cat

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
Old 29-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tried another ECU?
Old 29-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

No,

I do not know what the original Catch code should be for my car.
It got replaced in an accident a few years ago and dont know what it should be.

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
Old 29-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ill find it for you.

edit:here it is....

AU:

WABF - AU Dual Fuel Auto.
WACG - AU Auto Series 1 VCT
WANA - AU Auto
WAKD- AU GHIA SERIES 1.5 VCT (SMART SHIELD)
WTAB - AU XR6 Manual
WTLB - AU XR6 3.45 Manual - June 99 - Feb 2000
X2CA - AU1 TS50
Y3EC - AU1 XR8 Auto (Adaptive Shift)
Y3DF - AU - 2001 - Auto XR8
Y3EC - AU1 XR8 Auto (Adaptive Shift)
Old 29-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #9
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAT245
I can't smell fuel but the tail pipe is black as. Its not missing but the engine is rough at idle and sometimes stalls when i go full throttle and i have to back off for it to recover, does this more so when the aircon is on.

When all this is happening, the needle never moves from the \ before NORMAL, No Fuel Leaks, Filter is new, and i always run either 95 or 98.

We have cleaned the BBM with the Subaru Upper engine cleaner.

O2 Sensor is a Genuine Bosch Unit and ihave tried it in another car with no issues.

ECU Resets do not seem to make a difference either.

Thanks for the Help Maka.

Nathan

Nathan, your au seems not to be reaching operating temp (too cold = rich mixture) - its supposed to sit in between n & o so you might have to check your thermostat or the ect (coolant temp sensor at the back of the cylinder head). Put the dash into diag mode to moniter real time coolant temp.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 29-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Hey Maka, we have already done the thermostat.

Ill search for the Diag Mode

T4ME, thanks for that, The car is actually a S1.5 Ghia VCT. So it looks like i need the WAKD Code. Cheers!

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
Old 29-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #11
_Ben
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Intake manifold gasket? Mine was missing heaps and going through fuel, stalling in cold mornings etc.
_Ben is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #12
Day-mow
rexnet

wow. you make me feel really good about my 18L/100km flogging through the hills the other day.
cheers

hope you find your gremlin

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #13
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

MAKA

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
Old 30-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #14
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

MAP sensor failed on my AU1 VCT many years ago and I had the identical symptoms. I'd say thats your problem.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #15
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

It wont hurt to have a look at your operating temp, have a look at the link but take notice what Casper say's

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...iagnostic+mode

cheers, Maka

Old 30-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #16
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Temp is stuck at 90.0 and has been there for an hour

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
Old 30-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #17
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Casper, that is what my original conclusion was.

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
Old 31-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #18
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

That rules the cooling system out, time to rip apart the bbm & inspect, test and maybe replace the iat sensor. Hopefully thats what the problem is, keep us informed of your progress.
cheers,Maka

Old 31-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #19
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Have you actually replaced the MAP sensor?
Also, does the car go into closed loop when you are in cruise control?

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #20
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

i havnt replaced it yet.

Ordered one through my auto elec today.
Cant check Cruise Control as i broke the controls during ... road rage..

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
Old 31-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #21
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

While im at it, can anyone see if their fuel level drops to 1L when they take off?

I have a suttering and stalling issue when the car is under half a tank, I have changed everything except for the fuel tank so i dont know what is going on, but i noticed that when the car stutters/stalls the Fuel level has dropped to 1L then recovers when it rises?!

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
Old 31-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #22
dieseltrain79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Inlet manifold gasket .

1991 Toyota Soarer TT - 11.72 @ 116.7mph

2004 Ford Escape XLT V6 - Family Ride .
dieseltrain79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post