Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
John64
Starter Motor

Default AUlll Jerking problem above 80kmph

I wonder if anyone has exprienced my problem. When I'm driving down the highway the car will jerk unexpectantly. So far I have tried replacing the spark plugs but that has not rectified the problem. Has anyone had a similar problem who can provide advice. Im thinking it might be a fuel filter issue now.

John64 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AUlll Jerking problem above 80kmph

could be anything to do with fuel, injectors, pump, filter, regulator. replace your filter and pull your pump out of the tank, have a look at the sock it might be blocked , if you have had dirty fuel at some stage the mesh sock can become blocked (happened to wifes car) if it is you have to get the whole pump as they don't sell the socks alone. hope helps
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
phr33k
Starter Motor

if it happens at an exact speed, like always right on 80 or w/e, and you find that your fuel and ignition system is good, maybe its the gearbox speed sending unit, confused thinking its hit the speed limiter?

also depends if the jerky-ness is like a power cut out, similar to traction control engaging, or if its just a rough type of power delivery
phr33k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
John64
Starter Motor

Its more like a thud and it happens at different speeds. Its unlikely to be the limiter as i can accelerate afterwards
Old 09-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
John64
Starter Motor

Thanks Reaper8,
Plan is to do the fuel filter next and if that does not fix the problem then off to the mechanic.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when I did the wife's car the tank had a light brown sludge in it. had to replace everything fuel pump, filter, regulator even the fuel rail had to be replaced and drained the tank and wiped it all out with the injectors being cleaned. don't know what caused it but it cost me over 1k to get fixed including a tune. go your filter and check your pump (its not hard to pull out). the pump is often overlooked but the sock picks up a lot of **** as its the first filter, as you increase speed the pump sucks harder and picks up more **** and when you get off the pedal it releases it.
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
John64
Starter Motor

Thanks again Reaper8
Plan to do it on the weekend.