Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #91
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Washing machine, Front loader Vs Top loader

dont get so "strung up" about it fellers.......wait til we start discussing man bags!

its the busy world we live in, we both work (not uncommon) so either housework is shared or it doesn't get done........I cook, I clean, I do the dishes and shower our son

I am far from the only one.......and no you cant bloody marry me!!!!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #92
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
I am far from the only one.......and no you cant bloody marry me!!!!

Available younger brother, perhaps?

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #93
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkgirl View Post
Available younger brother, perhaps?
now listen here you!.......I will have you know I am no pushover......however, I have been known to "trip easy"!

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 10-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #94
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
I do the dishes
and it was only a small load so I did it by hand -
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #95
Kevxr8Leexr6

Industrial front loading machines . no such thing as a top loader for industrial. why. not good enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SC80_lrgwasher.jpg (23.2 KB, 76 views)
Kevxr8Leexr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #96
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
and it was only a small load so I did it by hand -

reminds me of the little girl who asked her mum if she could play with daddys porcupine

when told that daddy didn't have a porcupine the little girl replied.... "he does so too, I heard you tell daddy last night that if he did the dishes you would give him a hedgehog"!

yes yes I know where the naughty corner is.....let me see, 1 minute for every year of life, so I figure i'll be there an awful long time

Old 11-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #97
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75 View Post
..obviously you hand wash your doonas cause they don't fit in front loaders,
Geez, you'd better tell my wife that. She's been washing our King size Winter Doona for years in our Front Loader.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #98
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

missed that......I do all our king size bedding in ours including doonas and covers....have done since we owned the machine

Old 11-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #99
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Same here. Sheets, towels, under blanket and doonas. All in the front loader.

Best stop and buy a top loader as I'm doing something I shouldn't!
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #100
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Yep, me too. Everything goes in.

Out of interest, I was near a HN yesterday and stopped in to have a look at current machines.
The biggest of both top and front loader is 10kg.
Another myth busted.

Not much of a case for top loaders anymore, I suspect in another 10 years they won't even be sold.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #101
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

10 kilo thats a fair sort of load......I dont reckon that amount would fit into a standard washing basket would it......that would be two trips per load.....ours is 7 and it fills the basket nicely

Old 12-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #102
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I'm loving this thread.

Sorting out the wheat (front loader owners) from the chaff (top loader owners).
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
4 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #103
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Front Loader FTW!!! It "ownz" top loaders. Owned about 4 top loaders and 1 front loader.
Front Loader takes a little longer, but clothes are cleaner. Easier to clean off the damn oil stains (work), or even food ones to boot!

There is no comparison, Front Loader will be again my next purchase.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #104
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Front Loader takes a little longer, but clothes are cleaner. Easier to clean off the damn oil stains (work), or even food ones to boot!"

I think that was the clincher for me. My old house was on septic tanks, so water volume was an issue. So, I decided to buy my wife (now ex) a front loader, once the old top loader was finished. Again, it was a FP 7.5kg. She complained about my buying a FL. 'Can't put odd socks in, blah, blah ,blah'.

First load went in (grumble, grumble), came out an hour later. 'Wow, its so clean and no lint, gee, this is good'. Dried in half the time too, because FL's spin dry better. The clothes felt better.

Nah, I didn't expect, nor get any thanks. Septic tanks lasted alot longer, less water saturation in the leech drains.
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2013, 11:56 PM   #105
zilo
BANNED

Our washing machine water just goes out an ag pipe straight into the front paddock with no septic at all.

So no problem here...
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #106
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
Our washing machine water just goes out an ag pipe straight into the front paddock with no septic at all.

So no problem here...
Same here.
Old 13-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #107
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Smile Re: Washing machine, Front loader Vs Top loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Geez, you'd better tell my wife that. She's been washing our King size Winter Doona for years in our Front Loader.
Lol you guys are way too serious , it don't matter ..they all the same one uses more water , one uses less power , one doesn't have agitator , one takes up less room , I have had both numerous of ...I like top , ex likes front , missus likes top ...sister got no room so has combo ...all the rest is only your opinion ..laundromats use both ....used to the directions all clean clothes ....I got 3 toploaders at the moment ..I don't live where there's a water issue , I also like the add and remove / cycle time of toploader ..if I had real water issues I would get a twin tub and recycle the water ...I don't like front loaders but you do ..its whatever suits you and your space , budget , water / power use .

Oh and toploaders wash better ...

Never argued with men about a washing machine before ...the missus on the other hand ..well they are always right , best not going there ..

As you were ladies ..
Old 13-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #108
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75 View Post
As you were ladies ..
That's about it.
Old 14-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #109
BOSSGTE

There are 3 things required to wash clothes. Chemical activation (detergent), thermal energy (Hot water) and friction (clothes rubbing against each other). Front Load Washing machines do all of these better. They use less water/energy, do less wear and tear to your clothes (no agitator), but take longer and a big capacity unit is more expensive than equivalent size top loader washing machines. eg 8.5kg FLWM = $1100 for reputable brand where as same brand 8.0/8.5kg TLWM = $800.

FLWM can heat their own water, TLWM cant. This means that the hottest your TLWM can wash at is 50-55deg, depending on your hot water service and assuming the unit doesnt draw any cold water during this time. FLWM can heat their water up to 95deg. You wouldnt normally wash at this temp, but it's good to be able to do a very hot or even 60 deg wash to clean heavily stained items. ie rags, overalls, jeans etc... Also, whilst a FLWM may take longer to wash, it can spin faster than a TLWM which means your drying time is reduced.

FLWM can be stopped during the cycle to add the"dropped sock". - only some brands offer this feature all LG/selected Miele/selected Bosch.

Buy a unit with a Direct Drive motor - less moving parts, less noise, less vibration, increased spin speed, increased durability, increased warranty, increased wash performance. Dont be confused by DC inverter motors - these still run a belt and pully system.

Buy from a bricks and mortar retailer, not online. It keeps more people employed and any major retailer will match any genuine online price.

1978 XC Fairmont 302 - Grandpa Spec
BOSSGTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2013, 02:23 AM   #110
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Through things beyond my control, no longer having a wife and at the ripe old age of almost 50, I find I have to learn more about domestic appliances, cooking, washing, cleaning, ironing. For most of my life, even as a kid, I've spent alot of time fixing household items. Many the ex would rant about needing to be chucked out, when a cheap new part, or subtle change in operation, made the device last way beyond its inbuilt obsolescence.
As with my car, I refuse to settle for second rate. Through this forum, I have learned many life skills, and through my life, I have never figured to put women in the kitchen, or hanging onto the end of an iron. I've met women pilots, surgeons, engineers... Some blokes might feel a bit intimidated if females start discussing real engine science instead of articles in Cosmo and New Idea.
This is a good (and yes funny ) thread.
It may have run it's course and the poor OP has received more than he bargained for. But I reckon there's been a few seeds sown that some members might regard as a good bit of knowledge and it is heartening to know I am not alone, being a domesticated male.
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #111
pundit
Gazza!

Who would of known there would be so much knowladge on AFF about something like a washing machine.

And cheers for the points guys.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2
11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
pundit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #112
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I cannot believe this thread is still going.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #113
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I like our front loader, but the Mrs hates it.

I like: gentler on clothes, which last much longer. Uses less water, spins faster so clothes are pretty dry when they come out and no lint. Clothes seem clean enough considering the less water used.

She likes: not much really.

I dislike: the increased time to do loads. I think they use more power but I've never run the numbers. I usually find another item I could throw in when it's too late.

She hates: increased time to do a load, the way you always seem to find an extra sock just after it's been going a minute. She hates the bending down to load and unload and the way it creeeeeeeps along the floor. Actually, that bugs me too. She thinks a "full' load" is less than our old machine, even though this one is rated a few kilos more.

I would go the raising of the height option if we didn't have uneven(ish) tiles.

If I had my time again, I reckon I'd go for one of the newer more efficient and gentler top loaders.

God-willing, it'll be another 10 years before I need to make that decision though LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #114
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When we bought our Meile, a service man had to come and fit it, we weren't allowed to do it, void the warranty, it doesn't creep anywhere, stays right where it is supposed to.

The sock thing can be an issue, but there is always the next load, or does your wife only own one pair of socks
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #115
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Trevor, when I got the Bosch way back in 2000, we had to get a man to fit it. When I replaced it in 2011, the guy who delivered it fitted it. No movement, no void of warranty.

Used a top loader today, came out wetter, more lint and didn't seem as clean. That is my experience with one today.
Previous:
Old 18-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #116
Lawwa
Starter Motor

I gained a top loader when my FIL moved in with us when we arrived in Australia. I hate the flaming thing and cannot wait for it to keel over so I can go buy a decent front loader.
So many of our clothes and sheets have come out with oily-like stains on them which I can only assume is because the detergent isn't getting rinsed out properly due to all the items being not being 'tumbled' like they are in a front loader. It's very frustrating as the stains never come out again despite re-washing.

"Passes everything but petrol stations!!"
Lawwa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post