Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
Brewtal ED

Default Side indicator wiring

Hey guys,

Just picked up au unregistered 2002 AU XR6 Manual (first of this series). Doing my best to get it licensed so I can use it as my daily driver.

I have a few issues that need rectifying, one of them being the side indicators. It appears someone has come by and stolen the side indicators, and in doing so, they have cut the bulb holder off. Is there a clever way to get in so I can extend the wiring and put new bulb holders on? The wiring left isnt enough for me to attach a new connector, and the hole in the side of the gaurd isnt big enough for me to work inside of.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

2002 AU XR6
Manual, current project

2004 BF Fairmont
Stock - family car
Brewtal ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2013, 11:56 PM   #2
BHDOGS
Banned

Default Re: Side indicator wiring

just take the front guard of to get to the wiring its about 6 bolts i believe and just pulls off easy as! Take of front bar first tho
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 01:16 AM   #3
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Yup take the guard off, when i had to pull a guard off, i didnt remove the bumper, just the grille and headlight as per thread http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11371310

Once its off youll hopefully have enough wiring to wire another indicator up. here's a pic of mine.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2013, 01:35 AM   #4
Brewtal ED

Cheers for that, there appears to be enough wiring for this to work perfectly. I'm assuming its a little different with the XR headlights? too dark to have a look right now, in your experience will I have to remove more to get the gaurd off?

2002 AU XR6
Manual, current project

2004 BF Fairmont
Stock - family car
Old 28-02-2013, 01:42 AM   #5
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Oh crap, thats right..yours is an XR.. sorry, times getting on haha. Uhm yes, there is more to it, you will have to take the whole bumper off then. How, unsure, standard bumpers have two bolts, one on each side corner of the bumper, so undo that then all the scrivets, the stone tray, then indicators and it should come off i think.

Been a while since i did that write up, dont remember exactly if you could undo the inner splash guard liner in the wheel arch to access things as an alternative to removing the front bumper.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Have you got enough wire in the blinker recess to strip a bit of the insulation? If so, you should be able to get a soldering iron to it to lengthen it. Then just slide a bit of heatshrink down to insulate the join.

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

You might also be able to just remove the inner guard plastic and get access that way depending on how much cable you got left in there..

Cheers,
Nik
ROOSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
Brewtal ED

After a few niggles (previous owner had lock nuts on wheels but no lock nut key) finally got this sorted today. Managed to pry the splash gaurd back and pull the wiring out as Roosta said.

Cheers for the help guys.

2002 AU XR6
Manual, current project

2004 BF Fairmont
Stock - family car
This user likes this post: