Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #31
damo6
turbo pilot

Default Re: VZ SS holden- are they any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter View Post

Strut brace....never seen one fitted from the factory and I was lowering these when new....So news to me.
. The strut brace was factory fitted to VY ser2 V8's and VZ V8's
damo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2013, 02:45 AM   #32
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyXR6T View Post
My mate has a VZ SS with the 6.0L. I expected alot more from these cars. Very sluggish and eveything felt very heavy including the steering. The only pros I can think of is that they sound awesome with an exhaust and they look great in factory trim
My 100% stock FG GT auto runs line ball with a mates 6M VZ SS ute with cams, tune, exhaust, intake, extractors and 'supposedly' 270+ rwkw.

Sounds fast and tough (and kind of is), but would never see a 12 sec pass from what I've experienced.
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-06-2013, 03:31 AM   #33
FTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter View Post

Strut brace....never seen one fitted from the factory and I was lowering these when new....So news to me.

Look harder. The SS had one. I bought mine brand new and was standard on All VZ SS.

http://www.carsales.com.au/CarStockG...x=7&mode=popup

http://www.carsales.com.au/CarStockG...=11&mode=popup
http://www.carsales.com.au/CarStockG...x=8&mode=popup

http://www.carsales.com.au/CarStockG...=10&mode=popup
FTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #34
Sioso
irregular member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms View Post
My 100% stock FG GT auto runs line ball with a mates 6M VZ SS ute with cams, tune, exhaust, intake, extractors and 'supposedly' 270+ rwkw.

Sounds fast and tough (and kind of is), but would never see a 12 sec pass from what I've experienced.
I have that same engine in my 2002 Monaro, VZ 6 Litre (L76) 6M with similar mods, cam, tune, exhaust, intake, modified fuel system & 3.9 diff.
I think it's an animal of an engine, mine is making over 300rwkw and is a lot quicker than my stock GT-P 335 auto.

Definitely look for the 6L VZ, the L76 has better heads and is more responsive to tuning.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #35
damo6
turbo pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOWN.GTP View Post
I have that same engine in my 2002 Monaro, VZ 6 Litre (L76)
Obviously a transplant?
Old 09-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #36
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

VZ with the 6.0 is the only commodore I would buy , I believe its the best commodore they made before they started cheapening aspects of it
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #37
Sioso
irregular member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo6 View Post
Obviously a transplant?
Yep, brand new comp 918 valve spring broke, dropped a valve and destroyed the original motor with just 35,000k's on the clock.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #38
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good cars

I had a VY SS before my FG turbo. Just don't get an auto as Gmh boxes are terrible! They go very hard with exhaust/extractors and a full tune and otr. Cam it and it'll be a weapon
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #39
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
Good cars

I had a VY SS before my FG turbo. Just don't get an auto as Gmh boxes are terrible! They go very hard with exhaust/extractors and a full tune and otr. Cam it and it'll be a weapon
Agreed, the auto gearboxes are pretty bad. The GM smallblock makes up for that though.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-06-2013, 01:02 AM   #40
STINKY NINJA
Banned

TH700 = boat anchor
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2013, 05:12 AM   #41
damo6
turbo pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOWN.GTP View Post
Yep, brand new comp 918 valve spring broke, dropped a valve and destroyed the original motor with just 35,000k's on the clock.
So what I heard was true! I heard stories back then of a dodgy batch of 918's on the market causing failures,stopped me putting a set in mine.
As for stinkys comment on TH700's,the last TH700 came out in the VP,it was a mechanical box,from VR onwards it was the 4L60E which was electronically controlled and yes it is a brain dead box to tune yet much simpler to mod than a 6L80E that's in the VE. The mech 700 is a good box to mod and can cope with high hp. But yes I agree auto boxes have never been a strong point of gm,I'm not expecting the VF to be much better considering all the hype of the 6L80E when it was released and its problems/ habits that have been discovered since.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:35 AM   #42
Sioso
irregular member

Quote:
So what I heard was true! I heard stories back then of a dodgy batch of 918's on the market causing failures,stopped me putting a set in mine.
As for stinkys comment on TH700's,the last TH700 came out in the VP,it was a mechanical box,from VR onwards it was the 4L60E which was electronically controlled and yes it is a brain dead box to tune yet much simpler to mod than a 6L80E that's in the VE. The mech 700 is a good box to mod and can cope with high hp. But yes I agree auto boxes have never been a strong point of gm,I'm not expecting the VF to be much better considering all the hype of the 6L80E when it was released and its problems/ habits that have been discovered since.
Yep, it was true.
Comp switched their manufacturing to Mexico and started having failures, the Corvette forums in the States were packed with Comp 918 failure stories.

Sorry to go off track OP, 6L is definitely the better of the two engines.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #43
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

before i bought my VE SSV in march last year i was looking for a VZ 6L (preferred the look of VZ) but i found that the decent VZ 6L's were asking as much or more than a VE. And there only ever seemed to be a handful of VZ 6L's for sale. In hindsight I was never totally happy with the VE and should have waited it out for a VZ SS or just got a VZ Clubsport/VZ Monaro and been done with it

also being a noob to decent power RWD (had always bought 'sensible' cars) the VE had better traction control and handling compared to the VE.

another thing to consider is if you do mods/tune the VZ L76 it has the Displacement on Demand setup in the motor, the VE L98 does not. I'm not too sure of what it is/does but on the commodore forums there was a heap of talk about it and the DOD removal kits when working on engines.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #44
damo6
turbo pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky View Post

another thing to consider is if you do mods/tune the VZ L76 it has the Displacement on Demand setup in the motor, the VE L98 does not. I'm not too sure of what it is/does but on the commodore forums there was a heap of talk about it and the DOD removal kits when working on engines.
VZ'S did not have it activated.VE'S had it from late 08 onwards.L98 both man and auto before then till the ser 2 when both man and auto shared the same engine (L77).it works by switching every second cyl off by locking the lifter in place via a oil pressure activated pin lock and spring setup on the lifter,bloody awfull design and very noisey too. when you get the engine tuned (with a VE) its switched off if you have a/market exhaust..imagine the sound of a 4cyl blowing thru twin 2.5 or 3'' pipes! the DOD delete kits are more commonly used if you cam it
Old 10-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #45
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What was wrong with the VR 4sp auto, compared with the ford 4sp auto.

My VS auto worked just fine but for not going back to 1st when i wanted it to, as it would only go back to 1st under 40km/h and that's fine but if i used the T bar i would of liked it to go back at 60 km/h, so apart from that it was a fine 4sp box.

The VE 6sp auto main problem is on overtaking at 100km/h the gear ratio is to low in 2ed and 3rd is to high, so it lacks performance at that speed and i hate it more than the old 4sp because of that.
The FG falcon 6sp is the same problem as well.
The ford 6sp auto is better than the 6 sp auto in the commodore as the como is not as sharp and is a slush box.

We need a 7 sp auto box with a gear between 2ed and 3rd or just use the manual box ratios and it would be fine.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #46
damo6
turbo pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
What was wrong with the VR 4sp auto, compared with the ford 4sp auto.

My VS auto worked just fine but for not going back to 1st when i wanted it to, as it would only go back to 1st under 40km/h and that's fine but if i used the T bar i would of liked it to go back at 60 km/h, so apart from that it was a fine 4sp box.

The VE 6sp auto main problem is on overtaking at 100km/h the gear ratio is to low in 2ed and 3rd is to high, so it lacks performance at that speed and i hate it more than the old 4sp because of that.
The FG falcon 6sp is the same problem as well.
The ford 6sp auto is better than the 6 sp auto in the commodore as the como is not as sharp and is a slush box.

We need a 7 sp auto box with a gear between 2ed and 3rd or just use the manual box ratios and it would be fine.
i never said there was anything wrong with those boxes,they are very limited as to what can be done tune wise and yes much better than the ford btr box of the time.the 4L60E only has about 12 tuning tables to play with which does make it simpler in some ways compared to the 6L80E which has about 400 and requires considerable knowledge to tune properly. the ZF box flogs the crap out of it for drivability- does not flare as much as the 6L80E which is especially noticable after a tune,the ZF learns gear changes better the only difference being it doesn't blip on downshifts (if thats your thing)etc.. but anyway we're getting off topic here...
Old 10-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #47
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My VY SS's auto went at 110,000 kms with only exhaust and tune. My mates auto in his VE SS went at 60,000 :/

They're ****
Old 10-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #48
MrsTyphoon
04 FPV F6

Dunno mate but we've got a VX SS S2 5.7L you can have for $7000 ;)
Old 10-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #49
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My VY SS's auto went at 110,000 kms with only exhaust and tune. My mates auto in his VE SS went at 60,000 :/

They're ****
My VY SS auto was still going strong at 186000 when I sold it, although engine broke a valve spring at 150000. VE SS is still going strong at 243000
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #50
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilcv8 View Post
My VY SS auto was still going strong at 186000 when I sold it, although engine broke a valve spring at 150000. VE SS is still going strong at 243000
You're a lucky one I guess
Old 10-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #51
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Heaps and heaps of good replies in this thread!
I dont have to worry about holdens anymore a nice 6 speed manual 2004 xr8 came up at the right price so i grabbed it,nowhere near as fast as a commodore but ill make it a nice cruiser,already has 20 inch rims and zorst.
Cheers
Old 10-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #52
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Thanks alot guys/.gals for all the help/advice i really appreciate it!
Old 10-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #53
Mr G8
Maximum Derek

Timing chain leaks are very common on the VZ, partners car has it, and a mates SV6 did too

2008 FG XT 6 Speed
18's, Tint, ZF Conversion, LED Conversion, Exhaust.
Mr G8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #54
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA View Post
Heaps and heaps of good replies in this thread!
I dont have to worry about holdens anymore a nice 6 speed manual 2004 xr8 came up at the right price so i grabbed it,nowhere near as fast as a commodore but ill make it a nice cruiser,already has 20 inch rims and zorst.
Cheers
Stock for stock the XR8s aren't really any slower at least not in the real world. The Commodores big advantage is it has an all American crate motor so has the huge American aftermarket industry to delve into.

Quote:
You're a lucky one I guess
The GM gearboxes are strong/reliable enough on average, just arent the greatest functioning box.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #55
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon View Post
Once done you have VZ front end in the VK and a big Hp car weighing 1200kgs.

I have done the conversion before and it's most fun you could ever have!!! 4th gear tyre fryer!!!!
I'm planning on doing this to a VK in the next few years, once I get a shed
Had planned on doing it to my previous one but it had major rust through the whole chassis. Head, cam and tune for 400+rwhp for the win!

I can confirm faults Bluehoon named, my VY SV8 had a few issues:
- Diff needed a shim, slipped a fair bit
- Throwout bearing needed replacing (very hard to put into first gear)
- Aircon randomly stopped if on "3" (max) for too long
- Engine oil usage was above average (would top it up at least once with 1L or so between services)
- Oil pressure switch needed replacing

Mine had 180,000km when I had it so after I replaced most of the bits it ran like a dream. I still miss that V8 note :(
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2013, 03:06 AM   #56
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

A 2006 (6.0L) VZ SS-Z is on the very, very short list of Holdens I would like to own, my preference would be for a ute (although a HSV would be preferred, an SS-Z is the more discreet option)

The only things I really dont like about them is the can-bus network that they run, as well as the frequency controlled alternator, both "features" that make fault finding a pain in the butt, even if you have access to Tech2 and a CANDI module.

I put 80,000km on a VU Ute in 2 years and have driven a couple of peoples toys, between that and running a Holden dealers parts department for 2.5 years I've got a fair clue what the shortcomings of the chassis design are, and heres what I would do given the money.....
Nolathane *everything*
Replace shocks, struts, springs and swaybars
Remove the rear suspension toe links (HSV then Holdens "fix" for rear tyre wear issues, works by distorting the factory rubber bushes so becomes redundant with urethane bushes/camber kits, and ends up binding the rear suspension up to the point where the toe link will break)
Get a better front strut tower brace
Harrop diff cover & something like a trutrack centre
Stick with 18" wheels and decent rubber, any bigger doesnt achieve anything other than looks
Better brakes, drove a VT with AP Racing 6p/4p inside 18" wheels and it stopped repeatedly (even when hot) hard enough to pull stones out of the bitumen....
Cam, heads, intake, HSV induction pipe and two hole airbox, OTR is nice but ultimately a PITA for no appreciable gain on a street car, DeFilippo twin 2.5" exhaust
Old 12-06-2013, 04:28 AM   #57
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo6
VZ'S did not have it activated.VE'S had it from late 08 onwards.L98 both man and auto before then till the ser 2 when both man and auto shared the same engine (L77).
I’ve had 4 V8 VE’s.
2 manuals & 2 autos.
I have a MY2010 manual Ute I brought new in early 2011 which has an L98 and does not have any D.O.D gear in it – only the autos had it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
Get it fixed
My MY2008 auto Ute has a L98 with a tuned auto box and runs 295 rubber on 20x10 inch rims.
With only an exhaust, cold air and tune when I go WOT is spins the wheels with ease in 3 gear.

Last edited by Express; 12-06-2013 at 04:35 AM.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2013, 06:38 AM   #58
damo6
turbo pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I’ve had 4 V8 VE’s.
2 manuals & 2 autos.
I have a MY2010 manual Ute I brought new in early 2011 which has an L98 and does not have any D.O.D gear in it – only the autos had it.

which is what i said wasn't it? to clarify though,the afm engine was introduced jan 09, ive had 2 utes as well.my08 and my10, nice ute by the way apart from the chev badge.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #59
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
which is what i said wasn't it? to clarify though,the afm engine was introduced jan 09, ive had 2 utes as well.my08 and my10, nice ute by the way apart from the chev badge.
Sorry mate my mistake, I misunderstood what you meant and thought you were saying they all had D.O.D after 2008.

I’ll concentrate a little harder in future.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #60
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I’ve had 4 V8 VE’s.
2 manuals & 2 autos.

Get it fixed
My MY2008 auto Ute has a L98 with a tuned auto box and runs 295 rubber on 20x10 inch rims.
With only an exhaust, cold air and tune when I go WOT is spins the wheels with ease in 3 gear.

Only a std VE SV6 ute 3.6L V6 6sp auto i am on about. she would get a wriggle on with a gear ratio between 2ed and 3rd. and would not need a V8. as this would liven it up on overtaking at 100 km/h
She is a heavy car and carrying only 500kg around mainly.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post