Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default Vw eos

Daughter is interested in a late model turbo diesel EOS Cabriolet. Any info or advice on them ? Which model VW has been in the news and caused all the grief recently ................

Old 03-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 
Default Re: Vw eos

VW Golf
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

The EOS is based around a Golf, which is the model with the bad rep over the past year over recalls to fix an acceleration problem....

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VWs with the 7 speed DSG have been recalled for their mechatronics (valve body) in the trans.

with vw It seems you get a perfect one or a lemon.

Check service history should be dealer only. Ring the dealer. If its been in every month for two years dont buy. If its had services only and no warranty work it should be ok

The roof and window setups are very complicated on EOS.

(started work as service advisor at vw dealership 4 weeks ago)
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
manny.miner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503 View Post
VW Golf
To be fair only certain golf models have been affected. My partner has a gti and they said it's fine. It was a select few golfs (not gti) and the caddy...... just because one car is based on the same platform as another doesn't mean it's automatically afftected.....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
manny.miner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

The main engine with issues AFAIK was the 118 TSI. All models with the DSG transmission are still prone to some problems, they are also pretty expensive to service as well so make sure she takes all that into account. Not too many issues with the 103 TDI engine which would be the only diesel engine used in the Eos from memory You could try doing a bit of research on some of the Aussie VW forums (VWWatercooled.com.au would probably be your best bet) although the Eos is not as popular as the likes of the Golf and Polo, probably due to it being aimed more for single women than men or people with families I also use this site a bit when researching different things and as it's Australians doing the reviews you know it will be the same product - http://www.productreview.com.au/p/vo...7-present.html

A few varied opinions on there so be sure and go over stuff with the daughter before she commits and at the very least I would recommend a thorough mechanical inspection be done before handing over any cash.

Best of luck

Last edited by Russ; 03-09-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

We have an EOS, ok it's SWMBO car, and we absolutely love it.

Ours is a 2.0l turbo petrol model (147kw), not the diesel. 2008 model bought used from interstate sight unseen, with low kms.

They come with the 6spd DSG out of Europe. All the trouble has been with 7spd DSG from Asian plants. The EOS hasn't been the subject of any of the recalls.

Buy wisely and your daughter should be very happy. I think they are sensational cars.

Pics of ours (SWMBO's) here; http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...42&postcount=7

Last edited by Raptor; 03-09-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

My old boss has had a petrol one for 2 years with no issues as yet.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #9
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VW's are good with factory warranty, if you do look at buying it try to get a factory backed warranty with it, if something explodes they are expensive.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
pursuit2359

As noted above, Volkswagen Australia's recall was for the 7sp DSG and the Eos has only been offered in Australia with the 6sp DSG. However, the 6sp DSG has had recalls and 'customer service programs' in the USA. There's some useful info about it at http://wikicars.net.au/reviews.php#!...el=Eos&gen=933.

Not sure what your daughter's priorities are, but the Eos has the potential to be expensive to maintain and VW's reputation could affect resale values.
pursuit2359 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #11
Bossxr8
Peter Car

How deep are her pockets if it goes wrong?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #12
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

I've heard the repair prices are damn scary at VW too.
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #13
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
How deep are her pockets if it goes wrong?
Not as deep as "Dads"....
Old 06-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #14
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wife had an Eos TDI manual with individual pack ( all options ) - it is a quality car , well built and only issue we had in 3 years of ownership was failed motor in headlight which was replaced under warranty.
They are great open road cruiser and very economical. Only hard top convertible i know of with a sunroof :-).
Handling is not bad for what it is and it feels rock solid on the road. Repairs to folding hard top are not cheap so buy carefully otherwise i would say great car for a young female if she enjoys driving a manual car.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2013, 11:56 PM   #15
morak001
460 - cubes torque

I had a 2007 with the 2L turbo and manual box and a heap of fancy options. Had no issues aside from some poor fitting plastic trim bits. A pain in the butt to drive without the traction control on.

The roof system is a work of art, would not want to own one when it starts to wear and not work as intended.

It was a good car, just not the type of car I prefer.
morak001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #16
littlered
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
The EOS is based around a Golf, which is the model with the bad rep over the past year over recalls to fix an acceleration problem....
Actually EOS is built on the Passat floorplan... not golf

You can also get a golf convertable which has a fabric roof as opposed to the EOS metal folding roof.

Only issue I am aware of is hydrolics with the folding roof. Allianz does do an extended factory warranty if the vehicle is still under new car warranty which I understand covers this

Cheers

LR
littlered is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #17
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlered View Post
Actually EOS is built on the Passat floorplan... not golf

You can also get a golf convertable which has a fabric roof as opposed to the EOS metal folding roof.

Only issue I am aware of is hydrolics with the folding roof. Allianz does do an extended factory warranty if the vehicle is still under new car warranty which I understand covers this

Cheers

LR

Eos is based on VW A5 platform and shares wheelbase and mechanicals with Golf Mk5 . Passat is a B platform.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post