Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
gregg_13
2016 PX2 Ranger XLT

Default Great Cycle challenge - Sponsor Me!

Hey guys and girls

This October, I am riding in the Great Cycle Challenge to fight kids' cancer!

I will be pedaling for 31 days and my goal is to ride 300km throughout the month. Although this is just a start, we’ll see if I can better that, If a 2yr old can go through chemo I can do this...

But why am I doing this? To help children affected by cancer and their families.

Right now, cancer is the largest killer of children from disease in Australia and 3 children die from cancer every week. Kids should be fighting with their siblings, not fighting cancer.

And so I am taking on this personal challenge to help these kids and fight this terrible disease.

My goal is to raise $500, but I need your help. I’d like to raise a lot more but every bit counts

Please sponsor my challenge by clicking on the link below:

http://www.greatcyclechallenge.com.a...s/GreggPearson

All funds raised will support Children's Medical Research Institute to continue its work in developing treatments and finding a cure for childhood cancer.

Thank you for your support.

And please feel free to forward this on

Gregg

To make things a little harder on the rides every Friday and Saturday my cheer squad (2yr old and 4yr old) are in the trailer strapped to the bike.

Weapon of choice and cheer squad below

Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (88.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Giant-XtC-011-bike-black-red-a1.jpg (130.1 KB, 64 views)
gregg_13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 
Default Re: Great Cycle challenge - Sponsor Me!

Me too :-) I am aiming for 1000km for the month. Have lost a lot of weight lately and got back on the pushie after a l-o-n-g time off it.

http://www.greatcyclechallenge.com.a...rs/TrevorHedge
2 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
gregg_13
2016 PX2 Ranger XLT

I'm hoping to hit 500km, but working a 4/3 Roster i lose a few days with travel and being on a remote site the opportunities to go for a ride a quite limited. So I thought id start with 300 and work my way up.

Good luck man
Old 10-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Yep I have so much work on right now (and GP week is also on during October) so it is going to be a battle time wise to do that many km but I guess if people donate it will give me the motivation to get up earlier and/or stay up later :-)
This user likes this post:
Old 10-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good on yas all! Fantastic cause.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
gregg_13
2016 PX2 Ranger XLT

Quick Note on this

I work for BHP and anything I raise they will Double
Old 11-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
gregg_13
2016 PX2 Ranger XLT

Come one guys support one of us, don't do it for us, do it for the kids.

The way I look at this if a 2 yr old can go through chemo for the better part of his current life, than I can do the time and the donation, donate as little as $1.00 or as much as you want. PLEASE
Old 11-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
mcnews
Trev

We might have to end up donating to each other instead, lol.
Old 25-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
gregg_13
2016 PX2 Ranger XLT

UPDATE
$2620.00 Raised so far for the Kids,
So once BHP match this that will be $5240.00

WOW

Day 1 is next Tuesday, BRING IT ON
Old 25-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
mcnews
Trev

Well done mate, with the money that I know is coming from another couple of sources next week I am up to around $1200 thus far.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
gregg_13
2016 PX2 Ranger XLT

Well done too. Im hoping over the mont hi can get close to 4k, then it will end up being 8k
Old 02-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #12
mcnews
Trev

Have managed to crank out 98km over the first two days.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:19 AM   #13
gregg_13
2016 PX2 Ranger XLT

I spent the weekend in hospital s only managed a lazy 10km on Tuesday but should put some more down tomorrow
Old 05-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #14
mcnews
Trev

159km as of yesterday.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #15
mcnews
Trev

240km now.
Old 19-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #16
mcnews
Trev

Today's ride, hit 83.9km/h coming down the other side of one of the climbs.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #17
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done mate!!!!

Feel free to add me on Strava if you like (David Bourne) Superman costume photo.

Not that I'm apart of this challenge, but I'm up to 714km since Oct 1. Pretty happy so far.
Old 21-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #18
mcnews
Trev

Added.
Old 21-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #19
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sweet. You've certainly clocked up a fair few K's since joining Strava! Nice work pal.
Old 21-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #20
mcnews
Trev

Before the challenge started I had done about 500km in the past five years.... I was fairly fit from other things but had no bike legs, the first half of this month my legs ached 24/7. I am now doing big rides but have a rest day or two to let legs actually recover a bit which is working better. Was asking too much of muscles that were just not conditioned to doing big km every day on a pushie. I have done 843km so far this month. Heading up to Bright today on our annual Post GP Bright trip with the boys, I am riding a Hayabusa up and a mate in a car is taking my pushie, so when I am not riding the mountains up there for the next couple of days on the motorcycle I will be doing it on a pushie, lol
Old 21-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #21
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done guys, just look after yourselves in the heat, you can do yourself damage if you over heat.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #22
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

excellent effort fellas. Well done.

On on strava too if you wanna add me. shav bird

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon