Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-01-2006, 09:12 AM   #61
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Certainly is interesting regarding the LS7 but it's entirely irrelevant to Ford/FPV, who aren't in direct competition with HSV according to some. 290kW is all you will get and going on the latest propaganda, you should all be grateful the outputs didn't DROP with new emissions standards. That's the kind of attitude you all should expect to see from them more often from now on.

Hoping and wishing for improvements in outputs from our beloved "pinnacle of the Blue Oval" brand is about as much use as asking an Eskimo to design and build an interstellar space vehicle with an onboard gymnasium and outdoor BBQ setting.

As for HSV, they do a lot wrong but at least they have always pursued improvements in the engine department. How they have gone about it has not always been timely, but the improvements have been evident.
Old 19-01-2006, 11:11 AM   #62
lowriding
interloper

If , and a big if , HSV make a coupe like this it will be outstanding value and will sell .Infact they are better going all out with the works and >$150k. Alot people are clueless thinking "if they are rich enough they will only buy Porsche,BMW etc" or "get M3 for that " .Many of this coupes potential owners probably already have an M3 as a shopping trolley! A car like this would be an instant collectable and find its way into those garages - cars like these are true pedigree , look at what types of cars are worth the mega dollars to the super wealthy collectors in the US - ZL1 camaros ,Boss Mustangs , Hemi powered mopars .All these are touching the US$1 million mark or more. Forget about M powered Bimmers and Porsche Boxsters,pfft- they are just working poor mans toys for real estate agents : _2:
lowriding is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 05:28 PM   #63
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowriding
If , and a big if , HSV make a coupe like this it will be outstanding value and will sell .Infact they are better going all out with the works and >$150k. Alot people are clueless thinking "if they are rich enough they will only buy Porsche,BMW etc" or "get M3 for that " .Many of this coupes potential owners probably already have an M3 as a shopping trolley! A car like this would be an instant collectable and find its way into those garages - cars like these are true pedigree , look at what types of cars are worth the mega dollars to the super wealthy collectors in the US - ZL1 camaros ,Boss Mustangs , Hemi powered mopars .All these are touching the US$1 million mark or more. Forget about M powered Bimmers and Porsche Boxsters,pfft- they are just working poor mans toys for real estate agents : _2:
Thats a big call mate- sure you've got your die hard V8 Fans out there that would roll over their wives to own a Mopar or Boss Mustang but at the same time there is a general populous out there that would happily take a Carerra, M5 or AMG... :eclipsee_
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2006, 09:46 AM   #64
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

More info on the car in the Herald Sun Cars guide this morning.
Appears it "may" be the farwell car for the Monaro, in current chassis form, ie: it really IS the end for the coupe.
50 units as a one off fairwell car.
50 units is an extrememly low volume run and changes the whole scenery, especially if its not an ongoing model into the future.
The reliance on the car having pedigree, refinement and top level appointments would be largely non existant, hence the "low" 125k price rumour.

Old 20-01-2006, 10:05 AM   #65
lowriding
interloper

If ,still a big IF to me ,they do it it's got to be an all out balltearing beauty in the vein of the last stillborn coupe HRT8 ??(can't remember the name ?).doubt it though

lowriding
lowriding is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2006, 10:15 AM   #66
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Let's see:
1. 427 Coupe = stillborn.
2. HRT "One Make Racing Series" Coupe = stillborn.
3. LS7 powered "Special" Coupe = ?

Holden love their headlines don't they? Got all of us talking about it, and we're FORD fans....

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2006, 03:21 PM   #67
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
More info on the car in the Herald Sun Cars guide this morning.
Appears it "may" be the farwell car for the Monaro, in current chassis form, ie: it really IS the end for the coupe.
50 units as a one off fairwell car.
50 units is an extrememly low volume run and changes the whole scenery, especially if its not an ongoing model into the future.
The reliance on the car having pedigree, refinement and top level appointments would be largely non existant, hence the "low" 125k price rumour.

Did they specifically mention the LS7 or just a seven litre engine?

If they are going to use the LS7 its because it is coming in something else.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2006, 04:15 PM   #68
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Did they specifically mention the LS7 or just a seven litre engine?

If they are going to use the LS7 its because it is coming in something else.
It says:

"potential customers report plans for a final HSV coupe with a red body and black cabin and as much as 375kw from a tuned seven litre LS7 V8 engine.
Fifty cars to be made with a model code BB7. They will cost about 125K and coupe and Monaro owners will be given priority.."

50 is a tiny run, i doubt you'd ever see one on the road!

Old 20-01-2006, 04:20 PM   #69
HSE2

Well I know I probably won't down here, unless that is, I buy one

So in other words they just read the thread on LS1.com. I would hope they gave credit to the source.

It’s an impressive engine which by most standards gets close to supercar type billing. Even for 50 cars I struggle to see it for that money unless there is another offset somewhere else.

Thanks for that, will be interesting to see what shows up at the MMS.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2006, 04:24 PM   #70
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des
Let's see:
1. 427 Coupe = stillborn.
2. HRT "One Make Racing Series" Coupe = stillborn.
3. LS7 powered "Special" Coupe = ?

Holden love their headlines don't they? Got all of us talking about it, and we're FORD fans....
By "One Make Racing Series," Coupe.. you mean the 335kW LS2 powered HSV GTS-R? That's NOT stillborn. They've sold one or two...
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2006, 04:34 PM   #71
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Well I know I probably won't down here, unless that is, I buy one

So in other words they just read the thread on LS1.com. I would hope they gave credit to the source.

It’s an impressive engine which by most standards gets close to supercar type billing. Even for 50 cars I struggle to see it for that money unless there is another offset somewhere else.

Thanks for that, will be interesting to see what shows up at the MMS.
That was my thinking, it doesnt make sense to offer a car that would probably be presold anyway to select people at a loss....
50 units makes it almost irrelevant as virtually no-one will be able to buy one anyway? Maybe its a tester? or another stillborn teaser....

Old 20-01-2006, 04:43 PM   #72
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
By "One Make Racing Series," Coupe.. you mean the 335kW LS2 powered HSV GTS-R? That's NOT stillborn. They've sold one or two...
Yep, that'd be it. Gees, must make a great race series....

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2006, 05:00 PM   #73
jmc-007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The bottom ends are the same aren't they, Callaway just ported the heads added a cam and put on a bigger throttle body. Not much different at all.

The engines were fully blueprinted and ballanced unlike the factory built rubbish.

here is some good information.

http://waw.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_hp_isnt_enough/

James
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2006, 07:54 PM   #74
distortion

I have heard about a new scary-powerful v8 going into the new commo... about 6 months ago from an interior designer at holden, though they wouldnt tell me what it was, they hinted at the time it was something from a corvette - i dont know anything about holden/gm engines so i didnt consider it such a big deal at the time!
distortion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post