Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-02-2014, 01:24 AM   #31
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: Replacement VIN stickers?

I'm quite sure you can have a new VIN issued but you must go through your local RTA & have an engineer inspection report which will be required by the RTA at your cost.
Then the RTA will issue you a new VIN
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2014, 08:07 AM   #32
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

For those talking about engine numbers, whilst they're a legal form of ID, they are a throwaway number. Engines & engine numbers can be changed, (with little problem).

My FPV Cobra was registered & insured (by the selling dealer) incorrectly from new.
I didn't pick up the error for 18 months, all I had to do was get a Blue Slip inspection, goto the RTA, & tell my insurance company, no drama's.

The incorrect engine number was listed on my new vehicle sale contract, & also in Ford service history records too.

I contacted Ford to see if it was listed wrong from them (in their build details), or just from the selling dealer.
(don't know if this is correct or not?), Ford told me engines can be replaced, they don't keep any records of what engines, go into what cars?

If you goto the Ford Etis website & get you vehicle build details, it'll list the VIN, but not the engine number, so it may be correct?

These VIN stickers are the equivalent of the old compliance plate & theoretically shouldn't be replaced if damaged or lost.

These days the build details are available from elsewhere, & as has been mentioned the VIN is stamped into the car elsewhere.
The VIN's also locked into the computer, so all you have to do is plug in a scan tool & match with other details you have or can get.

These stickers shouldn't be any issue, (even though it's nice to have them there as a complete car/package).

I doubt if the car was stolen & found, that the Police would look at them & trust them. As we've seen linked to, they could easily be, tampered with copies, with falsified details on them.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #33
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramania
These days the build details are available from elsewhere, & as has been mentioned the VIN is stamped into the car elsewhere.
The VIN's also locked into the computer, so all you have to do is plug in a scan tool & match with other details you have or can get.
I would really like to know where the VIN numbers are stamped as I & others have never found them when looking plus what happens if you replace ECU/PCM computer for any reason means your stored VIN details have changed.....bit odd.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2014, 10:17 PM   #34
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
I would really like to know where the VIN numbers are stamped as I & others have never found them when looking plus what happens if you replace ECU/PCM computer for any reason means your stored VIN details have changed.....bit odd.
FG up to 17/10/2010 has the VIN stamped on the LH side of the engine bay right next to the bonnet support strut attachment. Silly Ford people put the last few numbers under the aircon pipe on mine, so the last bit is hard to read.

After 17/10/2010, it is stamped on the drivers side floor panel next to the drivers seat near the door sill. There is a cutout in the carpet there to enable viewing of the stamping.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-02-2014, 10:25 PM   #35
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the thing is the stickers are part of the cars ID and so if they are missing then you'd have to ask why and therefore look deeper.
possible reasons are repaired damage, rebirth, vandalism

mine also has paint code on and it and other details which I'm not sure are on anything else on the car making them all the more important.
they'd clearly be one of the points RMS inspectors would look at when they do those long inspections to check bona fides of cars being registered. they'd check all ID points and ensure they do match
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2014, 10:34 PM   #36
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Yes, something to look at whenever you car is damaged near or at that location, its important to make sure the sticker issue is clearly sorted out with the insurance company in writing BEFORE any repairs are started.

And avoid buying any cars that have them missing as you may have problems later on. Vicroads on their website acknowledges that they may become missing, but dont seem to worry about it.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2014, 03:59 AM   #37
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

http://grafixunlimited.com.au/ford/f...ed_el_ba_bf/bf

Don't know how good these are but here you go
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: