Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Should these things be allowed in built up areas, such as cities & suburbs?
Yes. 57 32.95%
No. 68 39.31%
If prime movers, tractors, etc. are allowed, so can these. 25 14.45%
Suburbs only. 3 1.73%
Who cares. 20 11.56%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 21-01-2006, 05:42 PM   #241
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Landcruiser 100s now have IFS too - yep they have gone pretty soft lately
Old 21-01-2006, 07:41 PM   #242
Swerve

Quote:
Originally Posted by I bleed ford
As stated by most here, it comes down to driver operation. No need for big lift in the carpark at woolies lol
I'm so over this but ! The samne applies, there is no need for a 200kw lowered ford in teh carpark either. At least we dont bottom out on the speed bumps

Swerve

Old 21-01-2006, 10:10 PM   #243
chunkz
www.fordmods.com

yeh but hit/come close to the bar things that hang down
Old 21-01-2006, 11:50 PM   #244
4DZSUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Taipan
The question we have got to answer is, why do we achieve such high rates of perfection in the air
Any ideas?
If there was thousands of planes in a small space, and haggling for positions there too would be many accidents.. also with pilots they mainly rely on instruments to fly thier course, whereas drivers just have thier eyes and perception...

Its apples and oranges mate... no comparison :

Old 22-01-2006, 01:05 AM   #245
EL_futuraistic

This thread is a bloody joke. Nearly everyone on here owns modified vehicles, the fact your attacking someone with a modified 4wd which is no-doubt modified for that purpose. There are dickheads in every vehicle, this has been debated over and over and over and over. A raised Landcruiser is no more dangerous than a "DUMPED" passenger vehicle. It both cases the suspension geometery, load level, handling characteristics, steering characteristics etc..... have all been changed from what he manufacturer intended. Having said that in most cases, NOT ALL people dont bother to do the job properley either (wheel alighments, change bushes, change springs, change shocks) and its these vehicles that are unsafe.

As a lot of people have said, a modified 4x4 is ususally not tearing around the streets...... but this is NOT always the case. I would thow my hat in the ring to say that a Passenger vehicle, "dumped" on big rims, with 5 occupants, a full tank of fuel would be far more dangerous than a raised 4x4 under the same conditions.

Think what you will of my comments, i dont really give 2 sh**s but these threads of bagging out other peoples vehicles are fast becomming a bit boring, and usually turn into 1 member arguing with another about an issue that is totally irrelevant to the thread.
Old 22-01-2006, 02:12 AM   #246
Swerve

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_futuraistic
This thread is a bloody joke. Nearly everyone on here owns modified vehicles, the fact your attacking someone with a modified 4wd which is no-doubt modified for that purpose. There are dickheads in every vehicle, this has been debated over and over and over and over. A raised Landcruiser is no more dangerous than a "DUMPED" passenger vehicle. It both cases the suspension geometery, load level, handling characteristics, steering characteristics etc..... have all been changed from what he manufacturer intended. Having said that in most cases, NOT ALL people dont bother to do the job properley either (wheel alighments, change bushes, change springs, change shocks) and its these vehicles that are unsafe.

As a lot of people have said, a modified 4x4 is ususally not tearing around the streets...... but this is NOT always the case. I would thow my hat in the ring to say that a Passenger vehicle, "dumped" on big rims, with 5 occupants, a full tank of fuel would be far more dangerous than a raised 4x4 under the same conditions.

Think what you will of my comments, i dont really give 2 sh**s but these threads of bagging out other peoples vehicles are fast becomming a bit boring, and usually turn into 1 member arguing with another about an issue that is totally irrelevant to the thread.
Well said !!!!!

Old 22-01-2006, 02:34 AM   #247
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_futuraistic

The bagging you get when your not bagging. Hey what, now I'm confused :dr_Evil:
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
Old 22-01-2006, 03:30 AM   #248
chrisl
Starter Motor

I can’t believe that people are seriously comparing the risks of a modified sedan to a large 4WD. 4WDs are killing machines compared to a sedans. It has nothing to do with the driver. If the same driver got out of a sedan and into a large 4WD and drove with exactly the same mind-set and same skill level, the 4WD would be far far more dangerous.

And, it has nothing to do with whether you “feel” safe in a 4WD either. You can’t measure safety by how you feel. There is only one way to measure it and that is statistically. And statistically it has been shown unequivocally that 4WDs are more likely to kill their occupants than sedans. But worse, they are absolute killing machines around anything else that they share the roads with… including pedestrians.

In my opinion, if people have a legitimate need to own one then fine. But if they drive one of these things for status value, then they are being irresponsible and objectionable by any standard.
Old 22-01-2006, 12:22 PM   #249
Swerve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisl

I can’t believe that people are seriously comparing the risks of a modified sedan to a large 4WD. 4WDs are killing machines compared to a sedans. It has nothing to do with the driver. If the same driver got out of a sedan and into a large 4WD and drove with exactly the same mind-set and same skill level, the 4WD would be far far more dangerous.
If the same driver chaned cars he should have the knowledge and skill to know how to drive the 4WD within its limits. You guys know you cant drive a basic model falcon the same as a XR8. Same with moving into a 4wd. Pull ya head in !
Quote:
And, it has nothing to do with whether you “feel” safe in a 4WD either. You can’t measure safety by how you feel. There is only one way to measure it and that is statistically. And statistically it has been shown unequivocally that 4WDs are more likely to kill their occupants than sedans. But worse, they are absolute killing machines around anything else that they share the roads with… including pedestrians.
Fine, show me a web address from a goveremnet source !
Quote:
In my opinion, if people have a legitimate need to own one then fine. But if they drive one of these things for status value, then they are being irresponsible and objectionable by any standard.
Why do you need to own a 300kw ford that does 0-100 on 5 seconds !. Everyday we hear how a passneger car has a accident. Same applies and practise what you preach.

Old 22-01-2006, 02:42 PM   #250
I bleed ford
351 cubes of power

wow...this has gotten out of hand big time......the only prob i have with 4wd is alot of people who drive them aren't experienced enough, the same with modified cars....bottom line is if we can modify our vehicles they can mod theirs...group hug lmfao
Old 22-01-2006, 04:08 PM   #251
chunkz
www.fordmods.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl

Yeh it really doesnt matter how safe i feel, for the fact that i can stop quicker then a falcon, turn better (i am comparing to a stock EF falcon)
and i cant go as fast

now mr big man, with your little 'knowledge'
Go find out how many people have been killed
in 4x4 crashes (lack of control and hitting pedestrian)
in sedan crashes (lack of control (usually speeding) and hitting pedestrian)

I would believe there would be more speed related crashes in sedan then there is in any 4x4... :
Old 22-01-2006, 05:12 PM   #252
Swerve

All.

http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/ecars/A/Safety2.html

Overall, four wheel drives performed about average, ie. better than small cars, sports cars, vans and commercial vehicles but worse than large cars and luxury cars. The notable exception is the Range Rover - which is both a four wheel drive and a luxury car. It ranked fifth overall.

The results should be interpreted cautiously. The uncertainty in an individual rating is typically +-0.5, sometime more, sometimes less. Since 1992, many four wheel drive models have been revised or superceded and some have been fitted with air-bags. The analysis does not say anything about the chance of a given vehicle type having an accident; it analyses the risks given that an accident has occurred.

However, if you want a low-risk car and do not have much money, an old Toyota Crown or Cressida looks like a good bet. If you also need four wheel drive, you seem to require money (the Range Rover) or mass (the Nissan Patrol).

Old 22-01-2006, 05:17 PM   #253
chunkz
www.fordmods.com

The risk in a small four wheel drive such as a Suzuki Sierra or a Daihatsu Feroza is more than twice that in the Jackaroo.

son of a ИИИИИ
Old 22-01-2006, 06:03 PM   #254
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

This has gone totally off subject.

Some of you guys need to grow up.

I doubt that some of you are old enough to drive let alone experienced enough to comment.

A word of advice; read up on what you believe before postiong & making fools of yourselves.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
Closed Thread