Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #1
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

Default Dream Racing (Las Vegas) - Are they any good?

Hi,

http://dreamracing.com/

I am planning to fly over to the states next year for my honeymoon and me and the missus are looking at driving some super cars and we have came across dream racing and before i start booking stuff with dream racing, i wanted to know if anyone on their trips to the US, have gone driving super cars at Dream Racing Las Vegas??

The Prices look good and the car selection looks great (meets both of mine and the missus's tastes, she love Lamborghini's and i love Ferrari)

Looks super cheap compared to OZ (we have driven at Gallardo and F430 at the GC for half a day before, but was $$$ compared to dream racing)

Thanks for your assistance..

May 2006 – October 2006: 2002 Proton Persona
October 2006 – July 2013: 2004 BA Ford Falcon XR6 (Blueprint – 4 speed Auto – Premium Audio - No Tracton Control )
July 2013 - ???: 2013 Chrysler 300c Luxury (Bright white – Panoramic Sunroof – 19 speaker 900 watt Harmon/Kardon stereo)
November 2013 - ???: 2013 Ford Focus Sport (the missus's car, white, manual)
chopstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
xd_cobra
FG GS - Boss 315

Default Re: Dream Racing (Las Vegas) - Are they any good?

Mate I did the Muscle Car Challenge through Richard Petty Motorsport last year at the Las Vegas speedway and drove past those guys on the track on my way in. It looks like the real deal, if I had known about it before I went I would have booked that as well.

Plus don't forget Shelby's headquarters is at the Las Vegas Speedway too. They have a bit of a shop/museum there, it's free to go in and they have some sweet vehicles in there ranging from the Cobra to the new Mustangs.
FG S/C GS - Silhouette w/Matte Black Stripes, Manual, Premium Sound w/dual zone, Tein Coilover Kit, Whiteline Adj/Swaybars, K-MAC Camber Kit, 6/4 Brembo, K&N, Shaker, Magnaflow Cat Back & Tips, Mal Wood Shifter, Black 20" Wheels w/275 rears, HO Splitter, DJR Boot Lip, GT cuise switches and side mirrors...

FG X XR8 - Smoke, manual...

'16 Mustang GT - Deep Impact Blue w/White Stripes, Manual, Magnaflow Cat Back, Cervini Ram Air Bonnet, Shelby 20" Wheels, GT350R Bodykit and Steering Wheel...

Last edited by xd_cobra; 23-04-2014 at 12:04 PM.
xd_cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #3
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Isn't there a thread on here somewhere where a member did that sort of thing - maybe in Lambos but I can't recall - but I am sure there is a thread here somewhere lol

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2014, 11:08 PM   #4
Tokyo Geoff
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exotics Racing in Vegas is the place to go imo. Ive been twice and done the GTR, Ferrari 430, SLS AMG and R8 V10. The new track is better than the old one and so much fun. Best car the Nissan GTR by a country mile. The SLS was a weapon and even though I was driving it as hard as I could it kept kicking down a gear coming out of the main bend and the noise omg it's awesome. Be prepared for plenty of hands out for tips though.
Cheers and sorry for the shameless selfie ;)
Geoff

1974 XB Sedan, 1974 XB Hardtop, 1991 EA Ghia (New to 430,000km), 2004 BA Fairmont, 2009 FG XR8, 2014 FGX G6ET, 2016 FGX Sprint XR6 and now...
Tokyo Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2014, 11:38 PM   #5
Bulletime

+1 for exotics racing!

In 2012 I drove the GTR, Lambo superleggra (booked the aventador but it was in the shop grr) and the Ferrari 458. 458 was my favorite by far, the speed of the shifting and the blip on downshift were absolutely amazing! The videos I have give me goosebumps to watch to this day! That sound... Pure heaven!

Pay the extra for in car video too, worth it for the memories. Also if u can get some videos taken by the misses while she's watching u, warn her tho in the. 40 degree heat it'll be hot as hell!

The wife also had a ride in the drift corvette and she loved it!

If I ever get there again my wife's keen to drive some next time (so prob make sure she has a go to if she's keen). Next time Ill prob drive the aventador as I did book it in last time, 458 again and maybe the mclaren or gt3, or whatever else they might have when there.
Bulletime is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2014, 11:39 PM   #6
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Another vote for Exotics, you get better choices of car it seems, still at LV speedway, still get picked up in a disco limo bus and from memory a tad cheaper as we'll.
I did Lamborghini Gallardo 550, Ferrari 430 and Porsche 997, I wanted an Aston DB9 but it was broken... cost was around $800 for 5 laps of each car.

FYI you are not racing, either another car or the clock officially, a guy sits shotgun and tells you where to brake/accelerate etc, when to overtake, or pull over if you are slower and counts the laps off. Traffic is pot luck on the day. Once he sees you are comfortable and won't kill him he lets you off the leash a bit.

Also do a machine gun shop, unless you are totally anti gun.

To complete the Boys Trio, go to the Pinball Hall of Fame, hundreds of working classic and new pinball machines.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2014, 11:55 PM   #7
Tokyo Geoff
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, loved the gun shop:- Ak47, Ouzi and Thompson shooting the bejazzle out of someone that looked a lot like a coward with a big bushy beard and odd hat ;)

1974 XB Sedan, 1974 XB Hardtop, 1991 EA Ghia (New to 430,000km), 2004 BA Fairmont, 2009 FG XR8, 2014 FGX G6ET, 2016 FGX Sprint XR6 and now...
Tokyo Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #8
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

thanks for the feedback guys..

the cars we are looking to drive at the moment while there is:

Me: 599, 458, GTR (but still might chose SLS or Corvette yet too, it so hard to choose, i am trying to the keep the list to 3, lol!)
the Missus. Adventador, Audi V10 R8, BMW M6

This missus is a bit of a car nut and loves to go fast too, so she will in out there giving a red hot go in the cars for sure!

and yep, we have a plan trip to a gun range for sure, i am looking forward to shooting a 0.50 Cal Barrett Sniper... the missus wants to shoot a machine gun (which the gun range we are looking at has!!)

and will keep shelby in mind as well...

October 2006 – July 2013: 2004 BA Ford Falcon XR6 (Blueprint – 4 speed Auto – Premium Audio - No Tracton Control )
July 2013 - ???: 2013 Chrysler 300c Luxury (Bright white – Panoramic Sunroof – 19 speaker 900 watt Harmon/Kardon stereo)
Old 24-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #9
tweeked
N/A all the way

Another one for Exotics Racing - I drove the Aventador and the 458. Will drive some others next time. Great instructors too - let you go as hard as you want (esc on of course which blunted the cars a bit)

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #10
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

Just noticed Exotics doesn't have a 599 :( but does have an Aston...

Old 24-04-2014, 01:10 PM   #11
Bulletime

Exotics are also now in LA for ppl who don't go across to Vegas.
Bulletime is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #12
Yellow Toy
Batteries Not Included

Chopstar87 have done this as well good fun to really push some great cars and not worry about the cops lol. If you do go to Vegas for this make you go the same time as NHRA or the Nascars, Plus the Carol Shelby shop is in the same complex.
Ps How's the Chrysler going?
Yellow Toy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #13
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

Yellow toy, yea the chrysler is going great, no issues to report as of yet. Still gets a million looks when out driving and everywhere it goes.

I will be doing the drive for sure over there... the hard thing will be narrowing down what cars i want to drive, and then hopefully the missus can make her mind up as well lol!

Old 25-04-2014, 10:18 PM   #14
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstar87 View Post
Just noticed Exotics doesn't have a 599 :( but does have an Aston...

Hope it's working when you get there...

Exotics is in several locations but not always operating...they have times when they don't operate due to weather or the track in use by NASCAR etc...check the website.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2014, 01:58 PM   #15
furiousgibbon

I drove at Dream Racing in December, and it was bloody awesome.

I did a lot of reading before booking. I was initially looking at Exotics Racing, but decided against it for a number of reasons, primarily that there are a huge number of reviews that say they won't let you redline the cars. Short shifting in a highly strung Ferrari? Might as well not bother. Their videos are not great quality and they record the instructor giving over the top instructions, which kinda ruins them as a lot of the instructors sound like dicks. I read plenty of other negative feedback about the experience at Exotics, and barely read a bad thing about Dream Racing.

Exotics doesn't operate at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway anymore, they have moved across the street to what is basically a temporary track set up in a giant car park. The layout looks ok but it's a bit of a pleb looking setup.

Most importantly, at Dream Racing you can drive the track spec F430s, and other than straight line speed, these things crap all over the other supercars. I did 7 laps, worth every penny. I wish I'd done the split session option where they give you telemetry feedback, give you tips and let you back out for another run. I know how to drive fast (I think) but it was a serious strain on my brain, the acceleration and grip was insane and I could barely keep up with what was happening. It doesn't look like much in the video, but by lap 6 I was feeling physically tired and started to make errors!

The only thing they were conservative on is the braking point into turn 1, but I suppose they have to assume you're not used to the sort of braking power these cars provide. Could have done much deeper. There are constant instructions on braking points, turn in points, lines and throttle opening throughout the session, but it's not at all overbearing and helps you get more out of the car. It would be very easy to overshoot corners with the sort of acceleration these things have.

I don't know if they let you drive the normal supercars as hard as the F430, they did say the Mclaren 12c had been very unreliable.

Here's a video of my last 3 laps in the F430:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E01Um_TtRys
furiousgibbon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #16
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousgibbon View Post
, primarily that there are a huge number of reviews that say they won't let you redline the cars. Short shifting in a highly strung Ferrari? Might as well not bother. Their videos are not great quality and they record the instructor giving over the top instructions, which kinda ruins them as a lot of the instructors sound like dicks. I read plenty of other negative feedback about the experience at Exotics, and barely read a bad thing about Dream Racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E01Um_TtRys
Great video the cabin noise is insane in that thing -though the video is basic at best, so I have to disagree that the quality comments about exotics video. Speed and layout is included on screen in it, maybe you were looking at some old youtube clips.

I didnt have one issue with the instructors, the only time he mentioned shift points was when i shifted early to see how the Aventador liked it, and he said too early????? The rest of the time I was within a bees of the redline. Maybe you were reading posts by idiots who just wanted to valve bounce a Ferrari in second?

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #17
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I also did exotic racing in Vegas.
Birthday present from the missus. Drove a V10 Gallardo.
Had a choice of 6 cars. Picked lambo for the V10.
There is a few different categories, I had one of teh cheaper categories.

They show you around the track in a Cayanne V8 Turbo. Driver drives it flat out and was passing the customers driving in the supercars.
My instructor in the Gallardo was a French bloke. that let me drive flat out on the first lap. Although I took it easy on the first lap to get my confidence up in that car.
When I go back I will defiantly do it again, but in a more expensive category. Not sure what company I will go with, but I have nothing but a good experience with Exotic.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post