Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 02-10-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
madas

Default Mondeo MA TDCi EML stays on

Car has been running rough on and off lately and the EML has come on a stayed on. Cleaned out the spark plugs and now is running fine but the engine management light has stayed on.

Disconnected the battery for 20 minutes but is still on. Car has only 70,000 on it and starting to think that maybe the catalytic convertor is playing up as the rough running has been intermittent? not sure

Does anybody know how to reset the EML?

madas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2014, 02:34 AM   #2
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: Mondeo MA TDCi EML stays on

scan tool or fix the actual problem usually.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
oemdenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by madas View Post
Car has been running rough on and off lately and the EML has come on a stayed on. Cleaned out the spark plugs and now is running fine but the engine management light has stayed on.

Disconnected the battery for 20 minutes but is still on. Car has only 70,000 on it and starting to think that maybe the catalytic convertor is playing up as the rough running has been intermittent? not sure

Does anybody know how to reset the EML?
Don't clean the plugs - replace them.
IF you have done 70k they should of already been replaced or are due.
EML will stay on for some logged DTCs (and current ones)until its cleared with a scan tool.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:51 PM   #4
Binny

Spark plugs and Catalytic converter on a diesel? I'm confused. Is it a TDCi or not?
Binny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #5
oemdenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binny View Post
Spark plugs and Catalytic converter on a diesel? I'm confused. Is it a TDCi or not?
yeah I figured hed got his badge wrong....unless he meant electrical connectors by plugs?
If its really a TDCI boost leaks from split pipes are common on them but that's a total guess of a diagnosis without seeing the car or having a bit more info!
Lots of new diesels run cats though
Old 03-10-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
madas

My mistake should be Zetec,
The plugs were replaced with iridium ones only 12 months ago. It looks like one has failed as when I disconnect plug three there was no change to the engine idle but there was with the other three?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:26 PM   #7
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

yeah looks like you found it plug three, I tried platinum plugs but they are useless on an old vehicle. I changed to replacing them every 20K (NGK-BRE's) simple enough and <$5 a plug.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #8
oemdenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by madas View Post
My mistake should be Zetec,
The plugs were replaced with iridium ones only 12 months ago. It looks like one has failed as when I disconnect plug three there was no change to the engine idle but there was with the other three?
Ok now we are getting somewhere.
So its a Mondeo zetec (zetec now used by ford as a trim spec not engine name any more) and has the duratec HE engine.
You haven't mentioned if its coil on plug setup or coil pack though.
(coil on plug is literally each spark plug has a coil on top)
If its coil on plug swap it with cylinder 1 or 4 and see if the misfire moves. if it does then your coil is faulty. if it doesn't check its getting an earth trigger at the multiplug with a multimeter - should be a 12v ignition feed and the earth will switch on and off. if that's ok then its not your ignition system.
If its not a coil on plug setup which it may not be dependant on chassis number then swap leads 1 and 3 over at the plug ends. if misfire doesn't move from cylinder 3 to cylinder 1 you either have a mechanical or fuel problem on cylinder 3

Last edited by oemdenied; 04-10-2014 at 07:13 PM. Reason: typo
oemdenied is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #9
madas

yes it has the coil on the plug. I’ll try the swap and see how it goes. Thanks for the help
Old 05-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #10
madas

EML reset after the fifth start and running great again.