Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-02-2006, 08:52 PM   #1
Matt_971
Regular Bum

Default What would you do????

Hey guys.

Here's the situation. I own a 1994 ED Manual Futura with 230,000kms on it and is on gas also. Slight mods etc etc and lots of my skin still under the dash and in the engine bay (manual conversion aftermarth).

I also own a 1993 ED XR6 with 310,000kms. Slightly written off lol. Has been hit in the front and back. It is a repairable write off so can be registered again. I have another front end (lights grill etc) to go on it already. Did before i bought it. I have another shell here for panels that i need. Bonnet boot lid etc.

Have spoken to my panel beater about it and he said without actually starting on it rough price he gave was 2.5k-4k including full paintjob.

So my question is what would you do. Wreck the XR6 and keep interior and front end. Put on my car and make it mock up XR. Or sell the Futura and fix the XR6 up.

Advantages of Futura. done 90,000kms less than the XR. I know the car.

Advantages of XR6. Wont be worth scrap metal in 10yrs time. Will be an original XR6.

Now I cant see myself ever selling either car depending on option i go. So eg if i fix XR i wont be selling it. If i get another car the XR will turn into my project car. Then i would sell the Futura.

And same but opposite for the Futura.

So WHAT WOULD YOU DO???

Cheers
Matt

Matt_971 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 08:58 PM   #2
vino3o2
owning V8=having no $$$

In my opinion i would make the Futura into a mock up XR...if you know the car and it
sounds like a better car than the XR then i would focus on that...You should maybe run a poll for people to vote on and see the result, but yes the Futura would be the way Id go

The Reality: 13.1 @ 106mph.... The Goal: somehow get into the 12s!!! :sm_headba

www.qldsuperkart.org
vino3o2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 02:05 AM   #3
Steffo
LPG > You

Scrap that XR6. It's not worth repairing. Whack the front and interior and anything else you can save into the Futura, and be happy with a nice car.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 01:38 PM   #4
Matt_971
Regular Bum

Yeah i am leaning more and more that way.
With the way money is atm i think i will end up doing that. And one day I WILL GET myself a proper XR. ONE DAY hehe.

Thanks for input guys.

Matt
Matt_971 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 05:37 PM   #5
XRated
Shoot.

Sell all the good bits of the XR and keep the money. Or else if you actually plan on keeping the car for a long time, keep the XR IMO.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 05:41 PM   #6
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You said if you did the XR up you would keep it even in the long run.. so I am gathering you mean many years etc.
Anyway if it was me, I would be fixing the XR and selling the Futura.. but, then I am hopeless and can't part with my XR (against all the best advice given in the world).....

good luck with whatever you decide

Cheers
Kerri
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 11:26 PM   #7
nb_351
building the xe...

if its an original xr, theyll be worth more than a futura sometime... keep it as a project car, rurbo it... lol
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post