Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-03-2006, 09:54 PM   #1
russky
Road Terrorist

Default Ford AU 6 cylinder exhaust

Hey,

Ive just been thinking of fitting an exhaust system for my AU Fairmont, however, its not a cheap job, and really dont want to get it wrong with a wrong system. What im looking for is something of Italian v8 nature, quiet at idle, but screams its head off when revved hard. The high pitched sound dont think is possible to achieve, cos of engine, though have heard once a new XR falcon flying past with something similar to maserati sound. Does anyone know whats the best approach to tackle in order to achieve what im trying to? Quiet at idle, while a good sound at highish revs? had a muffler done before, but quickly refunded my money, cos it sounded bit loud (would not have appreciated it if i had a headache), and not to my taste. Will a complete exhaust system be necessary to quieten the sound? or just muffler of some sort?

Any help would be appreciated,

Alex

russky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 10:05 PM   #2
HLC
Audi S3

not using the search button makes the baby jesus cry.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:06 PM   #3
HLC
Audi S3

seriously man : there are about a trillion threads on this topic :P just perform a quick search and im sure you'll find an answer :P
Old 01-03-2006, 10:08 PM   #4
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Default Hotdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by russky
Hey,

Ive just been thinking of fitting an exhaust system for my AU Fairmont, however, its not a cheap job, and really dont want to get it wrong with a wrong system. What im looking for is something of Italian v8 nature, quiet at idle, but screams its head off when revved hard. The high pitched sound dont think is possible to achieve, cos of engine, though have heard once a new XR falcon flying past with something similar to maserati sound. Does anyone know whats the best approach to tackle in order to achieve what im trying to? Quiet at idle, while a good sound at highish revs? had a muffler done before, but quickly refunded my money, cos it sounded bit loud (would not have appreciated it if i had a headache), and not to my taste. Will a complete exhaust system be necessary to quieten the sound? or just muffler of some sort?

Any help would be appreciated,

Alex
I can appreciate where you are coming from.
You are probably asking too much from your exhaust though. I have extractors & mandrel bend 2.5 redback system with a resonator & it is still loud at idle. You could try an extra resonator but that could become restrictive for power. You are after power aren't you?. I believe Buickman has had success with his exhaust note by fitting a hotdog drop him a PM.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:50 AM   #5
stiddy
Banned

2.5in or 3in cat back system with a small muffler or resonator will do it..

Be weary of the 3inch, its loud all over lol.. its what I have.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2006, 01:31 PM   #6
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm using Pacemaker Headers 4490 or something technical they call it. High flow cat, redback muffler. All the piping is 2.5inch with twin tips on the end
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2006, 01:36 PM   #7
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I'm using Pacemaker Headers 4490 or something technical they call it. High flow cat, redback muffler. All the piping is 2.5inch with twin tips on the end
Running almost the same as Buckie, cept I have Pacemaker 4480 extractors. :P
Old 02-03-2006, 01:41 PM   #8
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I might have the 4480. Not sure. But I have the VCT engine. Might fish out the receipts so I'll know for sure, but 4490 sounded like what I remember
Old 02-03-2006, 07:37 PM   #9
stiddy
Banned

Hey bucky, just recently downloaded and watched your comedy about an exhaust mod.

how fast were you going? hahaha

sounds good for a few bits of cardboard and pegs :P
Old 02-03-2006, 08:20 PM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

4499s Bucky.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2006, 08:35 PM   #11
TCK-098

Mine dont have paceys and im putting out a nice amount of mumbo and bucky you know what mine sounds like.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:44 PM   #12
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
Hey bucky, just recently downloaded and watched your comedy about an exhaust mod.

how fast were you going? hahaha

sounds good for a few bits of cardboard and pegs :P
: I forgot about that mod. I was only doing about 100, but we sped the film up so it looks like I'm going flat out. I overlayed the sound of my mates BA Pursuit over the top. It was funny when i was putting it alltogether, I was thinking what could I do as a story. Then i remembered the pegs and carboard when we were at school. Just kinda worked out well :

But you wanna know whats even funnier. Is when i posted it, Dez (no longer a member) asked how I kept the pegs on without them falling off.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:42 AM   #13
stiddy
Banned

hahhahaha it turned out very well..

I was at a mates when I downloaded it and he was like "theres no way thats a 6" lol sounds tougher than his SV8 lol
some people are gullable..
Old 06-03-2006, 09:06 PM   #14
russky
Road Terrorist

Thank you people for help! Gives me an idea now.

Apologies for the people complaining about the post. I did search, but nothing relevant came up.

Thank you again,

Alex
russky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post