Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-03-2006, 10:37 AM   #1
AUIIForte

Default Door Repair

Just last night at about 10:30pm I was driving back home from my girl friends house, and this guy in a white Falcon XE starts tailgating me like no tomorrow, even though he could have pulled into the left lane to over take me (i just turned into a main road from a side street, ending up on the right lane). There was a really big round about comming up, and the whole road was empty, so as I was trying to ignore him and keep driving normally and safely, i slowed down for the round about, but he started speeding up. He overtook me, barley missing the back of my car, and tried to go around me on the roundabout, but I heard his wheels loosing grip, and i saw the his car, it was revving quite hard and wheels spinning crazy...
He lost abit of control and ended up smashing into my left door... I felt my whole car move and it slid abit to the right, but i managed to slow down without losing control. I stopped at the side of the road, got out, and started walking over to the XE, which was stopped in the middle of the road blocking traffic in both lanes, but then he sped off with a burn out going back the way he came.

Now my whole front left door is completely smashed, same with the window, which i got pulvarised by little tiny shards of glass!

So I got back into my car and drove home. I didnt get his liscence plate, i just know its a white ford falcon XE, well, those old falcons that are box shaped.

What should I do? Call police, call insurance, call ford to make me a new door? I have no idea, please help!

AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 11:24 AM   #2
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Without the other guys number plate, you may have to cop the excess if you claim on insurance. Again, without that number plate police won't be very helpful.

So you could either claim on insurance and have them sort it out, paying the excess. If it's only one door that's damaged, perhaps go to a wreckers, pick up a replacement door, and have it repainted to match. Depends if the excess (and potential drop in rating) is less than the cost of buying a used door + painting.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 12:10 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

What Death XR said. And next time, I'd advise you to get out of the right hand lane. The guy in the XE was an idiot, but I can understand his frustration with people sitting in the RH lane going slow, when you could just as easily have been going slow in the left lane.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 12:40 PM   #4
XR6Stu

I reckon definitly go to the cops though. Guy in the XE sounds like he is a tool. Sorry to hear t hough.
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 12:41 PM   #5
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
What Death XR said. And next time, I'd advise you to get out of the right hand lane. The guy in the XE was an idiot, but I can understand his frustration with people sitting in the RH lane going slow, when you could just as easily have been going slow in the left lane.
fair comment but if the roads were empty the XE could've just as easily overtaken in the left lane when he caught up instead of tailgating and being an idiot

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 01:09 PM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
fair comment but if the roads were empty the XE could've just as easily overtaken in the left lane when he caught up instead of tailgating and being an idiot
Overtaking on the left is technically illegal. But yes, he could've. But why sit in the right hand lane at all, if the roads are empty. Guy in XE was a fool though.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 01:13 PM   #7
AUIIForte

I was sitting on the right lane because i just came off a side street that led onto the right lane, and the roundabout was about 40-50meters away so I didnt really see a point of changed lanes.
I went to insurance and excess is $2100!!! Unbelievable! I also went to police and gave a describtion of the other car, but like DeathXR said, they didnt do much, they just said if I see the same car again with damage done to it from the accident, to get the number plates and report it in.
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 01:33 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wreckers at the top of the page might be able to help you out with a door for the right price ,maybe even the right color, would seem the cheapest way to go
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 03:34 PM   #9
XR6Stu

$2100??? Im a 20 year old with a very average driver history, and my excess is only $1450 with an AU XR6. Why is your so much?
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 03:58 PM   #10
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

$2100 sounds like pretty brutal.

Pick up a door from a wreckers is the go I think. FTG will be a good place to start. Then try a local smash repair place to paint it up for you. Do try and pick a door that is the same colour. Even if they have to respray the door skin to match, you could happily leave the inside of the door untouched, and just put your trim, etc on top.

A case of bad luck really, hopefuly it works out ok for you.l
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 04:53 PM   #11
billbanter
Starter Motor

If you get his details you can lodged a claim or do a third party recovery against him. Depending on what state you are in you might find it difficult to do a third party recovery. Most insurance companies don't offer replacement cars whilst your is getting repaired. They will tell you that you can hire a car and they will try to recover that cost for you. If you use a third party recovery service, you will get a car.
billbanter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 06:28 PM   #12
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

You should of asked the people in the other cars he blocked if they got his rego, i have had people do hit and runs on me in the past and usually someone else around see's it all, alot of people are only to happy to leave a police statement too for you for proof. But too late for that now anyway, do what the guys above said and just goto the wreckers and get another door, way cheaper all up in the end and less dramas. Sorry to hear you got wiped out , too many idiots on the roads these days, that sux .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post