Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-03-2006, 07:47 PM   #1
Falcon Freak
Banned

Exclamation HSV badge on imported Opel product - I don't get it!

Opel Astra VXR to wear HSV badge

An adaptation of an infamous John Crennan comment from late 2004:

"Is it Holden? Is it Opel? Is it HSV? Is it HRT? Is it four-cylinder? Is it eight-cylinder? Is it turbocharged?" Yes John, please tell us, : is HSV???

For those who have short memories, here is the dribble John Crennan said in 2004 when FPV released their first non-V8 model:

Link to article in another forum as original article is no longer available on www.news.com.au

If Crennan believes that the arrival of the Typhoon would 'confuse the brand image of FPV, while HSV is clearly a V8-only brand,' how do HSV justify putting their badges on a fully imported non-V8 model?

FF

Last edited by Falcon Freak; 09-03-2006 at 08:03 PM.
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 08:35 PM   #2
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak

"Is it Holden? Is it Opel? Is it HSV? Is it HRT? Is it four-cylinder? Is it eight-cylinder? Is it turbocharged?" Yes John, please tell us, : is HSV???

For those who have short memories, here is the dribble John Crennan said in 2004 when FPV released their first non-V8 model:

Link to article in another forum as original article is no longer available on www.news.com.au

If Crennan believes that the arrival of the Typhoon would 'confuse the brand image of FPV, while HSV is clearly a V8-only brand,' how do HSV justify putting their badges on a fully imported non-V8 model?

FF
Exactly what i was thinking, apparently it's a bit of a Pig to drive so it should fit in with the rest of their range : :evilking:
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 08:40 PM   #3
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

ah if ford brought the RS over I would be upset if it didn't wear FPV badges.

But yes..good to see that twat eat his own words...but as if it wasn' going to have a HSV badge...marketing guys woudl love it.

It also means that the die hard holden fan can have two HSV's in his drive way, his R8 and her VXR. Makes perfect sense to me.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 09:03 PM   #4
HSE2

John said

John Crennan, boss of HSV...

Crennan says the arrival of the Typhoon will confuse the market image of FPV and that HSV is clearly a V8-only brand.

"I consider our branding and our vision and our plan to be very pure. The essence of good marketing is purity, and to a certain extent simplicity. And I look at the Ford side of things and I see something that is more confusing," Crennan says.

"Is it six-cylinder? Is it eight-cylinder? Is it supercharged?"

Crennan says FPV needs to do more work on its brand strategy to give customers a clear picture of its direction.

"That picture can only be confused by the potential of a six-cylinder product, cheaper than the V8, and the potential for that to strangle the V8."
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 09:32 PM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I thought the RS Focus was the XR5. Which isn't FPV.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 09:50 PM   #6
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

What's the bet Crennan becomes extremely media-shy to avoid having to eat his words...
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 10:27 PM   #7
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
John said

John Crennan, boss of HSV...

Crennan says the arrival of the Typhoon will confuse the market image of FPV and that HSV is clearly a V8-only brand.

"I consider our branding and our vision and our plan to be very pure. The essence of good marketing is purity, and to a certain extent simplicity. And I look at the Ford side of things and I see something that is more confusing," Crennan says.

"Is it six-cylinder? Is it eight-cylinder? Is it supercharged?"

Crennan says FPV needs to do more work on its brand strategy to give customers a clear picture of its direction.

"That picture can only be confused by the potential of a six-cylinder product, cheaper than the V8, and the potential for that to strangle the V8."
Yeap, we'll all be driving turbo 6 Fords within 2 years if FPV don't starting taking the V8 more seriously.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:27 PM   #8
FPV

Quote:

FF
Yeah i remember that quote, I think he likes to release similar editions to that quote every so often, there was a quote in wheels september 99 magazine. This time he let off another one-liner at tickford and the T-series:

"Tickford means everything from LPG gas, to a spoiler, to a sunroof, to a suspension kit, to an xr8 to an xr6"
John Crennan

Another quote in the same article is:

"If I am proud of anything, I have kept the HSV brand very,very specific to performance luxury cars-we have not mixed breed in any way, shape or form."
John Crennan

Yep you have gotta love those quotes. :
FPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 12:15 AM   #9
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You see Creenan realises how gullable alot of people are and wants to have a way to run down superior opposition.

This is going to be quite a bit dearer than the Focus. Good luck to those who want to pay extra for a badge.
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 02:06 AM   #10
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Well maybe a few other brand have been eating into HSV sales. Oh how times have change. Would John like a big peace of pie?
Old 10-03-2006, 10:17 AM   #11
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Nah... the XR5 is the ST. RS Focus is a totally different beast.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 10:47 AM   #12
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV
Yeah i remember that quote, I think he likes to release similar editions to that quote every so often, there was a quote in wheels september 99 magazine. This time he let off another one-liner at tickford and the T-series:

"Tickford means everything from LPG gas, to a spoiler, to a sunroof, to a suspension kit, to an xr8 to an xr6"
John Crennan

Another quote in the same article is:

"If I am proud of anything, I have kept the HSV brand very,very specific to performance luxury cars-we have not mixed breed in any way, shape or form."
John Crennan

Yep you have gotta love those quotes. :

Yes you certainly do. I sincerely hope the media have the balls to put these quotes back to HSV because Tickford-FPV hasn’t got the credit they have deserved. HSV reckon they don’t copy anything FPV do. On closer inspection that sentiment is far from the truth.

Anyone who invests for a living knows diversification is the best way to go.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 07:26 PM   #13
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
I sincerely hope the media have the balls to put these quotes back to HSV................
Australian media to be impartial?

FF
Old 11-03-2006, 01:26 PM   #14
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Anyone remember that the first ever car to wear the HSV badge was a astra? with a bodykit, alloy wheels and a few extra badges...
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 01:32 PM   #15
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Thats fine and i feel the same but... FPV havn't shot their mouth off saying there a V8 only company either!
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 01:36 PM   #16
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

FF
cos they suck.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:59 PM   #17
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

John Creenan might have said that but he isnt the MD of HSV anymore, and is was the new MDs decision to bring it in
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 03:42 PM   #18
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
The XR5 is the Focus ST in Europe.
There is no Focus RS in the current model range, unlike the previous generation Focus.
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 04:47 PM   #19
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagom
The XR5 is the Focus ST in Europe.
There is no Focus RS in the current model range, unlike the previous generation Focus.
Ahh ok. I stand corrected. Hate the RS, ST cr@p, always gets me confused.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 12:41 PM   #20
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

So basically, the arguament is that FPV is supposed to stand for Ford Performance V8's, is it? I may be romanticising about a non-existant past but I'm sure FPV used to stand for Ford Performance Vehicles. Why is it, then, that this John Crennan character is struggling to come to terms with Ford producing Performance Vehicles under their Performance Vehicles banner?

Makes sense in a way though. When you think about it, he's probably one of the biggest Holden drivers out there, right? Says it all, really.

Sounds to me like someone's more upset about his poxy V8's being shat on by a Ford badged 6 than anything else.

As far as I'm concerned, we'll stick to Performance, and they can stick to being Special.

My XB Fairmont Sedan Project
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 02:08 PM   #21
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz
As far as I'm concerned, we'll stick to Performance, and they can stick to being Special.
Bingo!

FF
Old 12-03-2006, 04:10 PM   #22
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

he might have shot his mouth off now and then, but he made HSV sucesful, and made Ford open up a similar operation.

Hes not in charge anymore.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post