Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-05-2017, 10:58 AM   #1
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: The Camping Thread

Theres nothing wrong with the Chinese gear, the tent on my camper trailer is Chinese and has been through heavy winds and torrential rain and never let a drop of water in, had 3" running through the annex at Victor early last year but not a drop got into the sealed area.

When we went looking for a camper it was really only because the missus wouldn't sleep on the tent floor and with 4 kids the alternatives were beyond our budget for how often it would be used.
We hunted around for a while and then one day I found a bloke on Gumtree who was importing Chinese tents and fitting them to locally made 7x5 trailers for $3k, half the price of the cheapest alternative.
I went for a look and realised it was just a tent on a trailer with nothing else I thought it was a great idea as it meant I could fit it out my way so I grabbed it.
Bets place to go to compare brands and fitouts is the upcoming caravan and camping show, we go twice a year and go through everything on offer.

https://fordforums.com.au/attachment...1&d=1460264897
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2017, 11:02 PM   #2
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Theres nothing wrong with the Chinese gear,
i wasn't saying there was anything wrong with products from offshore. just that be aware when doing research that many people will badmouth these products simply because of where they are from without actually giving any reasons why. i say, just go in to any decision with both eyes open. its good to get lots of ideas, but at the end of the day, the only person that knows what will suit you, is yourself.

i'm all for supporting home grown, but at the same time, i have to look out for myself and family as well, and sometimes that means sticking to a budget and buying whatever you can afford.

when we were looking at camper trailers, we didn't rule out any based on where they were made, or where the materials came from.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2017, 04:32 PM   #3
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
i wasn't saying there was anything wrong with products from offshore. just that be aware when doing research that many people will badmouth these products simply because of where they are from without actually giving any reasons why. i say, just go in to any decision with both eyes open. its good to get lots of ideas, but at the end of the day, the only person that knows what will suit you, is yourself.

i'm all for supporting home grown, but at the same time, i have to look out for myself and family as well, and sometimes that means sticking to a budget and buying whatever you can afford.

when we were looking at camper trailers, we didn't rule out any based on where they were made, or where the materials came from.
Yeah I think you might have misinterpreted my comment, I wasn't implying that you were knocking it, I was just agreeing that some people refuse to acknowledge the stuff out of China, whilst throwing my support behind it.

From what I could gather, most of the lower end of the market source their tents from China anyway.

Now, those Jayco's are a great piece of kit for what they retail for, been sussing them out the past 2 caravan shows with the intention of buying one when the time is right.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post