Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-10-2017, 09:24 PM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I don't usually like to brag, but....I told you so!
Yes you did. Its also one of the rare times the reality is actually better than the online pictures look. The sites were very generous in size and mostly reasonably screened from each other. I used to think, based on the online pics (thumbnails on booking site) that it wasn't really that suitable for tents, but while the ground is hard, its not 'rocky' and the sites are mostly level. Good pegs and mini sledge would be a must, but there were plenty of tents around.
It is mainly camper trailers and vans though.
Our site was #7 and when we go again we will stay in the same area. We felt for us, the sites facing the creek were the best ones. Sure, there is a bit of foot traffic due to being close to the facilities, but we parked our van parallel to the path so we were facing the creek and shielded from passers by.
Its our new favourite spot, although we haven't actually been to that many.

Quote:
Did you do any of the walks, I imagine it would have been pretty warm up there lately..
As mentioned earlier, did a day trip to Alligator Gorge and did 'the narrows' walk. absolutely fantastic, despite seeing a junior brown snake...

did the mambray ck walk that just follows the ck down toward the baroota hike and loops back. Also did the baroota ruins hike. We set off on the Hidden Gorge hike but that was too hot and we pulled the pin after about 3km and turned back.

I'll upload some pics when i get time but for now here is a link to my strava page which has the walks and some pics
baroota hike
https://www.strava.com/activities/1211573227
Alligator Gorge
https://www.strava.com/activities/1209588068

Quote:
Did you have beers with the ranger?
He has a farm just across the road from the entrance on the highway but his Wife loves it so much they spend most weekends in the park where he shares a coldie with the visitors.
If you want the best experience, aim for mid year holidays in future, its awesome.
Ranger (assuming its the same guy) sure was a friendly chap. Was good that they don't act like the police, although for some of the people there it may not have been a bad thing if they did.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-10-2017, 06:43 PM   #2
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Its our new favourite spot, although we haven't actually been to that many.
I'm glad you enjoyed it, it's a fantastic place with all the facilities you could ask for in a bush camping scene.
Its a shame you didn't get to do the Davey Gully Hike or make it up to the shepherds hut up the creek, but with the warm weather and being so dry you'd have found plenty of that little browns cousins.
Did you get a visit from the Monitor Lizards?

Now you've had a taste, you can explore further in future, it is truly breathtaking especially at points like the battery track ridge and Sugar gum lookout.
Unfortunately Mt Cavern track is closed due to washouts but I'm told they are pushing to get funding for repairs as it is quite a challenging hike with spectacular views once you get up there and would be a shame to remain off limits.

Was it busy, it can get a bit full on during the school holidays which is why I prefer to go up a week or so after, giving the ranger a chance to tidy up and less traffic.

I've just completed a 9 day trip to Sydney, 6 of those driving as we took our time, but i'd have swapped it for a few nights up there in a heartbeat.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-10-2017, 08:44 PM   #3
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Was it busy, it can get a bit full on during the school holidays
according to the online booking, every site was booked, but once there, the reality was quite different. it was probably 2/3rds booked, but a surprising amount of empty sites considering it was a long weekend and school holidays.

perhaps the crows being in the grand final caused people to change their plans??

speaking of which, it was quite funny. i'm not in to AFL and don't follow it, but living in adelaide you can't avoid the fact that most media outlets consider anything related to the crows, 'newsworthy', so i was aware they were in the final. we arrived sat arvo about 2ish, so there was a bit of a buzz around with radio's blaring and the odd tv. we set up camp, had a quick bite to eat (who doesn't like snags on bread when camping) and then set off for an explore up the creek. about half 3 we noted that there didn't seem to be much noise coming from back at the camp ground. i thought perhaps it was half time. about an hour later it became evident that the crows weren't doing so well, as the footy was off and the camp was silent except for normal camping sounds. Talk about hardened supporters i found it amusing anyway.

anyway, i digress. the campground, even with only a few sites empty, didn't feel that full. i'm not a real social person and it still felt fairly empty to me. no queues to the toilets or showers. it was good to experience it on the full side knowing it can only improve.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:56 PM   #4
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anybody been to Blanket Bay in the Otways? What’s it like, and how does it go for vehicle access?
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2017, 09:06 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

some pics

3 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2017, 12:32 AM   #6
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

The reason it appeared fully booked but in reality only 2/3 full is because of the park pass system that they use currently.
The Ranger was telling us that because the grey nomads can buy a full year pass for only $100 they just book willy nilly and hardly ever turn up and it is something which has been noted and is in the process of being rectified.

He said before the online rego's started the place was full every holiday period but since the new system has been implemented, and you can just book from home with the cheap pass, it has become a real issue when people turn up without pre booking and cracking the ****s with him when they cant set up on an empty site because its booked by someone who may or may not turn up.

He also said the online system was causing all kinds of issues with campers turning up late in the evenings and being turned away if there are no sites left.
In the old days of envelopes at the gate, once the sites were full, he could open up the group sites at the western end of the camp ground and let them stay there, but now he cant take money he cant open them up.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2017, 12:40 AM   #7
prydey
Rob

I guess it's a tough situation to be in. Personally I like the online system because it guarantees I have a site before I leave home. It's a long way to travel to find out its full. Having said that I understand how those that are travelling and setting their agenda as they go are being disadvantaged by it, esp if there is no internet coverage to be able to book online whilst on the road.