Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-05-2021, 09:56 PM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default Re: Diabetes: Discussion thread.

Thanks for the feedback regarding pumps. Makes sense. My eldest plays netball so takes the pump off while playing. The fact that she is exercising pretty much negates the lack of insulin for that period. I guess if you eventually slow down in life pumps may get another look in.

Do you use pens?

And yes, there are many different insulin types out there with different profiles.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:09 PM   #2
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Thanks for the feedback regarding pumps. Makes sense. My eldest plays netball so takes the pump off while playing. The fact that she is exercising pretty much negates the lack of insulin for that period. I guess if you eventually slow down in life pumps may get another look in.

Do you use pens?

And yes, there are many different insulin types out there with different profiles.
I use disposable pens for Toujeo long acting, and a cartridge pen for fast acting. At one stage, I was so sensitive to insulin that I needed a pen with 0.5 unit increments.

I'm also using the new NovoFine Plus tips.

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-05-2021, 10:19 PM   #3
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

When I was first diagnosed, this mean bastard was used for blood testing. Can you imagine trying to use that on a 6 year old -

And these were the machines -

These machines needed much larger blood samples than today's crop, needed regular calibrating and took forever to display a result.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-05-2021, 10:24 PM   #4
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
When I was first diagnosed, this mean bastard was used for blood testing. Can you imagine trying to use that on a 6 year old -

And these were the machines -

These machines needed much larger blood samples than today's crop, needed regular calibrating and took forever to display a result.
Thats brutal. Yes, much better today.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:23 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

My youngest started on pens as they don't like to put you straight on to a pump, and it takes time to organise a pump with insurance so for the first few months she had Lantis at night, for the Basal (long acting, 24 hours) and novorapid or something for the Bolus.

Pens are pretty easy to use and a lot better than back when you had to draw up your own insulin into a syringe and inject yourself.

Pumps just use a single type of short acting insulin (novorapid) and it just trickle feeds constantly in the background at the set amount, and then pumps more in when you tell it, each time you eat.

Its good that there are different methods and everyone doesn't have to conform to a fixed regime.