Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 18-04-2006, 07:59 PM   #61
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
Top Fuel cars that were told not to do a full pass.
Where did you get that info ????????
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 08:05 PM   #62
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

I felt very let down for my $40, I will in future be taking my missus to sydney to watch some proper racing, I'll probably spend 15 times the amount but I think i will be satisifed.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 08:42 PM   #63
Bandit702
Starter Motor

We calculated that you need a minimum 350 acres to build a purpose built drag racing facility. anywhere within a 50 k radius of melbourne, any price starting at 15 million. Thus why we need to do what was done in sydney. Get the government on side to provide the land.
Bandit702 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 11:16 PM   #64
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@ACE
From where we watched Craig you could tell it wasnt possible for them to get a good pass in anyway, the tyres instantly spun out of the hole. I'm sure Darren was fired up to run a full pass but he would also have known the track conditions too and the danger of such a powerful car on it

What was the report card like anyway, from the team point of view and how the cars went?
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 12:31 AM   #65
camc88
ba xr6 mk1

Traction in the RH lane was non existant. LH lane was good. They had put rubber down but it appeared to be peeling off in 60mm blobs. I spent some time out on the start line during an oil down and had chance to look at track prep and it appeared poor. As far as T/F cars being told not to do a full pass, if they were not informed, it is a sad day for top fuel racing ,as their feeble attempt at putting on a paid show for the public leaves a lot to be desired. Drag racing has suffered a severe blow from the Jane corporation again when you have the paying public Booing our leading performance vehicles.
camc88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 08:50 AM   #66
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

was wondering if anyone had any more info ( pics if possible ) on the crash out there on Monday??
Was it Eric in his ( Skid row racing ) altered that hit the wall or someone else??
Finding out because fairly good friend of Erics and wanting to know if he is alright and how bad the car is damaged. Thanks.
agony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 09:00 AM   #67
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Just to silence some people here who THINK we were told or were not trying to put in a full run you have to be kidding yourself. We spent a lot of time and money preparing for this event with a race car that has a proven 4.8 combination, to turn up and see a track that wasn't suitable for TOP FUEL we were very disappointed then to see the repairs at 200ft really concerned us but the show must go on.

With the car backed down to a fairly mild tune we went up there with finger crossed but instant smoke.

2nd run backed down the tune changed the clutch and bang instant smoke again.

3rd run well what do you do here we have to get it down there somehow with out risk to Darren so we did a bigger than usual burnout and well Darren pedalled it 3 times with the same result only this time it dropped a valve and damaged itself.

Certainly not how we wanted to race as i said we spent alot of time and money to be there and we had some sponsors there as well we were just as disappointed as everyone was.

I will say it again we would never go to an event with the view of not ever putting on a show for the paying public it's unfortunate the facilities wernt up to standard.

If anybody disagrees or wants to have a whinge ring me 03 9746 0255

Regards Craig
Old 19-04-2006, 09:12 AM   #68
Chris
AFF.com.au

Agony,

Eric pretty much climbed out of the car himself and waved to the crowd, which drew a huge cheer.

Im 99percent he is ok, the altered is ****ed.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 09:18 AM   #69
Chris
AFF.com.au

Quote:
Just to silence some people here who THINK we were told or were not trying to put in a full run you have to be kidding yourself. We spent a lot of time and money preparing for this event with a race car that has a proven 4.8 combination, to turn up and see a track that wasn't suitable for TOP FUEL we were very disappointed then to see the repairs at 200ft really concerned us but the show must go on.

With the car backed down to a fairly mild tune we went up there with finger crossed but instant smoke.

3rd run well what do you do here we have to get it down there somehow with out risk to Darren so we did a bigger than usual burnout and well Darren pedalled it 3 times with the same result only this time it dropped a valve and damaged itself.

Certainly not how we wanted to race as i said we spent alot of time and money to be there and we had some sponsors there as well we were just as disappointed as everyone was.

I will say it again we would never go to an event with the view of not ever putting on a show for the paying public it's unfortunate the facilities wernt up to standard.

Regards Craig
Craig,

I had a lengthy chat to Darren yesterday, and he told me (his words) that he was shattered, especially for the fans.

People haven't let it sink in that this is a massive blow for drag racing. If i was the crew chief of either fuel car, i wouldn't have let any of them down the track, far too dangerous.

Even the Cavallo super stock cars were sideways on the shift.

Top fuel campaigners in Aust do it for the thrill - not the cash. Money for small parts in top fuel, like a billet short engine is around $20kUS. You need at least 3-4 of these in the trailer if you want to bang out consistent 290plus mph runs. Top ends, 40K plus, US dollars remember.......

I think Rachelle and Darren deserve a pat on their backs for their effort to try and put on a show. As for the track, these guys need to

WAKE UP
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 10:11 AM   #70
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris

I think Rachelle and Darren deserve a pat on their backs for their effort to try and put on a show. As for the track, these guys need to

WAKE UP
Spot-on and they kept trying on what was a totally sub standard track conditions.
It takes a very brave person to even try to put that amount of power down on that track on what we seen.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 10:43 AM   #71
JG3282
Awake after dark

Quote:

Regards Craig
Well said Craig...

His Car: XE Fairmont Ghia - For Sale Here

Her Car: ED Fairmont - Lowered, Pioneer stereo, Sony XPlod speakers, Big Exhaust & more
JG3282 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 12:11 AM   #72
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

i didn't go to the event but well done to darren and rachelle sounds like calder is a complete shizithole. well done to the teams that ran the cars down the track for the spectators taking a risk like that shows how much you really care about the fans.
to the jane family wake up and get a F@#KING CLUE heathcote has better prep work performed to it by the sounds of this thread and it's in the middle of no-where
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 12:22 AM   #73
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Saw Erics car today, well the remains anyway, very lucky guy to walk away unhurt from that one. Good luck to Eric and family on there future projects.
Old 20-04-2006, 12:48 AM   #74
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Monday was one of the biggest failed attempts by a now more than likely greedy operation at trying to get a quick grab for cash.

I went and paid my $40, mind you this was at about 4 in the arvo, I went to see the T/F cars coz they haven't been around for so long, I saw them, but what a pityful sight. I'm not having a go at the teams oor the drivers so don't even go their, it was amazing to see almost the entire crowd just get up and start walking out pretty much straight after the T/F cars ran. I don't mean just a few people I mean pretty much everyone, well over 60-70% of the crowd.

Is that stupid woman still running the show their, I'm all for equall opportunity when it comes to management, what I'm against is all these Degree carrying morons that only understand a bottom line but forget who fills it for them.

I still can't believe how simple the solutions are, I mean you hear every man and his dog talking about the little things that could be done to fix the track but somehow it eludes these educated types, you know the one that kissed the best a$$ to get the job. I still to this day cannot believe that even thought the thunderdome is no longer in use they have perfectly good stadium seating that has already been paid for but remains unused.

Does anyone actually have an email or phone number for Big Bob, I rekn a letter writing campaign wouldn't go astray, I don't mean abuse him or come accross all knowing but let him know that 'we are not amused' Chances are he would only get reports from management as to the every day running and crowd attendances and feedback, I doubt that he even spent much time their over this weekend to see for himself, although if the turnout was as good as it was Monday evening, he would have been quite happy knowing that his reports were true, well, they were this weekend.

Oh yeah and as I said, got their about 4 left about 2 hours later, best $40 rip ever.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 09:50 AM   #75
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

i was out @ calder from thursday till tuesday doing various things forThe Bowden Family and the 3 cars they bought to the event ,we dealt closely with the Management @Calder and the whole weekend was all over the place no programme at all just wing it along.Which was a little hard to work around and keep up to speed with .The crowds were well down on fri sat and sun and at $40 a day i thought it was a bit dear for spectators (if it had the racing that Muscle Car Masters @ Eastern Creek had last year it wouldve been worth it) Calder park had Darren running the event and i think was ill prepared for this but you can only do what you can.Apart from Bowdens 3 ex touring car legends there wasnt much else
We rolled up on Monday to put the cars out for a static display and was amased at 10 30 am there was more people there at that time than had been there at the weekend.Putting on Top Fuel brings them out ,To Darren and Rachelles credit they didnt stand a chance and after talking to both of them they were very Dissapointed in the out comefor the fans and their teams Again Bob collects and we all feel raped
on tuesday i was out there again for a photo shoot wit Moffat and Brocky for unique cars and the Glenn ridges Car Show ,we had the cars on track all day .After walking around the circuit a couple of times and actually seeing the condition of the drag strip and circuit it needs a lot of attention and dangerous so put some cah back in the joint its easy to take it but dosnt want to spend it that easily

Top Fuel told not to do full passes Darren and Rachelle didnt hear that from anyone ???

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 10:03 AM   #76
BJ
Banned

Quote:
From some of the safety crew thats who.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 10:26 AM   #77
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTR

Oh yeah and as I said, got their about 4 left about 2 hours later, best $40 rip ever.
You rang me twice during the day, I told you it was ordinary and the big bangers couldnt get the power down and i told you it was $40 but you still come, you knew all this and you still donated your $40. :yeees:
info you asked for.

Calder Park Racing Promotions Pty Ltd
PO Box 2491
SUNBURY DC VIC 3429
Tel: 61 3 9217 8800
Fax: 61 3 9217 8960

Email: cpreception@bobjane.com.au

Old 20-04-2006, 11:55 AM   #78
jcxr
Tribal Elder

I have just put pen to paper.Everyone who has issues with this feeble attempt at putting on a drag racing event should also do the same.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 12:27 PM   #79
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
From some of the safety crew thats who.
Well they were feeding you Bull5hit unfortunately BJ......
Old 20-04-2006, 02:55 PM   #80
rodderz

Quote:

Regards Craig
Great post Craig,

There is no reason why you would spend the the time and money to go to a meet to do a burnout and 60' pass, to those who saw the runs by Darren and Rachelle it was blatantly obvious that they couldn't pedal the things with the way they were getting wheelspin

Calder might be good for our street cars and maybe some 8.0sec cars but for these monsters that rely on a perfectly prepared track and a flat surface it isnt good enough. Why Bob Jane doesnt realise the potential of drag racing here at the moment $$ wise and bite the bullet and really do the place up I dont know, it would rake it in for him and provide the racing for the spectators and entrants

Also a pity for Darren and Rachelle who had sponsors there to get more money to do more racing, just hope the sponsors were realised of the reasons why a full pass couldnt be completed
Old 20-04-2006, 04:24 PM   #81
SpoolMan

Here are some pictures from fullboost there are 7 pages of pics from Mondays meet.
The pics are from Eric's car SKID ROW.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calder_060417_unique_112b.jpg (108.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg calder_060417_unique_113b.jpg (86.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg calder_060417_unique_114b.jpg (72.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg calder_060417_unique_115b.jpg (76.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg calder_060417_unique_116b.jpg (76.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg calder_060417_unique_117b.jpg (88.4 KB, 39 views)

Old 20-04-2006, 05:13 PM   #82
rodderz

Jeez that camera guy was quick

He was lucky it happened pretty early, it would of been 10 times as bad with more mph on board

It almost looked he almost had the fishtail under control before the sidewalls of the slicks grabbed and flicked him over. Main thing is he's ok, car and engine looked in bad shape on the back of the truck though
Old 20-04-2006, 05:18 PM   #83
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That was one gorgeous looking Altered, before the smash.... Glad to hear that the driver is okay...
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 07:08 PM   #84
BJ
Banned

Spoke to Eric today. Said he will be back bigger and better than before. I would not expect anything less from him.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 07:29 PM   #85
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

Man that looks like a hair ride. Good to hear that he is ok

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 10:06 PM   #86
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cant believe that anyone would want to test in a Fuel Car at Calder with sponsors in tow knowing what the track is like. I know it would be expensive but surely a trip to WSID would be worth the investment even to a Bracket Attack. I can assure you the track at the last one was soo much better than CPR is likely to be its not funny. All the best to both teams would be great to see them both back full time in the series
Old 20-04-2006, 10:49 PM   #87
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd dad
Cant believe that anyone would want to test in a Fuel Car at Calder
Who was testing? We were there to race make no bones about it.
Old 21-04-2006, 12:25 AM   #88
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

thanks spoolman for the pics of Erics ride. I have also seen the video of it and yes what a ride he had.