Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-07-2022, 03:59 PM   #27
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Some Important Lessons to be Learned Here

It's easy to sit back after the fact and slow the video down and pick apart the dudes actions when the brakes failed but in the heat of the moment things are different. Now he had plenty of warning and shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place 100%

I have a funny throttle sticking experience from my younger days. Here comes story time

Before I had my license I had a rally basher it was a 70s corona chopped into a ute with a welded diff and I drove it hard on a mates farm. Now I'm gunna be modest and say I could drive that thing like you wouldn't believe It never was straight absolutely sideways all the time and also only had front brakes because it did better line lockies with the rear brakes gone. One day I had it brought into my parents place in town so I could work on it. Now this day my parents were away and a few mates were around looking at the corona and what happens well they want some action so I decide to do a quick burnout in dads carport. So I back it into the carport facing the road and dial up some revs and drop the clutch.... guess what happened, the flipping throttle sticks wide open. Now this is the first time in my short driving carrier that I have ever experienced this. I panicked so jumped on the brakes but with only front brakes they just locked up and did nothing. So im flying out the driveway heading for the street so I chuck it sideways out onto the road and finally get the sense to shut the ignition off. Was lucky not to do any damage. My mates didn't realise the throttle had stuck and thought I was just putting on an amazing show

Its easy to say just shut the ignition down but its stinking fear inspiring when a car takes off and I would bet most would take a few moments before they made the right choice. I drum it into my wife a lot, If the throttle sticks shut the ignition off. It might save someone's life one day
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post