Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-05-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
OldManGhia

Default Bullbar On BA

Is this legal? My daughter snapped this with a mobile phone hence the not so good quality.

OldManGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
phildee

Don't know if its legal oor not, but it sure looks hideous
phildee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 06:55 PM   #3
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Don't see why it wouldn't be, not sure how it would affect the operation of the airbag though. Around town here I will see a late model ute with a huge bullbar almost every day.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 06:58 PM   #4
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

my word it's legal.
it's even air bag certified.
don't knock it til you city boys know what your talking about.
Orbit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 07:20 PM   #5
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

orbit , we treasure our cars unlike you country folk who put copius amounts of Bundy and Wrangler Stickers on you Car along with massive Aerials and Bullbars , seen enough of them to know that not only are they unsafe , but they look ing hideuos

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 08:06 PM   #6
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR_AU
orbit , we treasure our cars unlike you country folk who put copius amounts of Bundy and Wrangler Stickers on you Car along with massive Aerials and Bullbars , seen enough of them to know that not only are they unsafe , but they look ing hideuos
I am a country person and I treasure my car, so your point is invalid.

When driving in the country at night time I would prefer a big bullbar and 3 or 4 driving lights to lowered suspention and bodykits anyday. Granted, lights, bullbars and stickers may not look the greatest, but looks is such a personal thing.

I am also curious how you came to the conclusion that you know that these types of vehicles are unsafe?

Oo\===/oO
Old 01-05-2006, 08:14 PM   #7
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
I am also curious how you came to the conclusion that you know that these types of vehicles are unsafe?
Without starting a poo-fight, a rigid aluminuim bull bar is not designed to marry up with the crumple zones. That is why Ford use, test and recomend those polymer plastic bars..

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 08:21 PM   #8
LUXO_8
windsor user

sorry but ITS NOT A TRUCK..... why try and make it look like one....??
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 08:29 PM   #9
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hahahah i think this is just funny.
if people want those hideous things on their cars let them, it not your car so don't worry about it

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 09:46 PM   #10
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
Without starting a poo-fight, a rigid aluminuim bull bar is not designed to marry up with the crumple zones. That is why Ford use, test and recomend those polymer plastic bars..
Yeah fair point, but they sure do make those kangaroos bounce right off!

Oo\===/oO
Old 01-05-2006, 10:35 PM   #11
russky
Road Terrorist

I think its just personal taste playing here. Some people like sports cars and performance, others like their cars looking as if it will demolish something. taste is taste, and nothing can be done about it...
russky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 11:01 PM   #12
HLC
Audi S3

there is this feral VS commo ute that gets around penrith

and it has a massive bullbar like that, and 2 HUGE aerials, one on each corner. funnily enough, only one is hooked up to a wire. :|
Old 01-05-2006, 11:23 PM   #13
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I could understand if that car was in the country but around the city area, it IS very unsafe. Imagine that thing hitting a pedestrian. Poor bugger would just go under the car instead of over the bonnet like on a "normal" car.

And I wouldnt want that thing slamming into me. My god, I don't think there would be much of my car left for me to survive on a side impact on the drivers side.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 03:07 AM   #14
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

The company that I work for has a policy that makes smart bars and driving lights mandatory for all company vehicles used out here (Alice Springs). We have several BF SR's with them fitted. Alloy wheels are also mandatory. I can see why city folk dont like them, but you cant restrict where a car is driven in this country, at least not yet.
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 10:09 AM   #15
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

There is a bloke I work with, he has a bullbar like that, only about 2 foot taller and 2 foot wider...

He has checkplate side skirts that are stuck on with double sided tape and a diff dumper exhaust and the back window covered in stickers...

I know for a fact that it has never been out of the CBD.

Heritage green, isn't that a fence paint?
AshMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 10:41 AM   #16
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

If anyone has hit a Wombat or a Kangaroo surely you can understand why country folk do actually want bullbars.

I wonder how they go against a stray cow or a bull at 80kmph.

You would be suprised at the number of incidents that occur when people hit wild life or swerve to miss it and hit a tree or a oncomming vechical.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 10:45 AM   #17
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I wouldnt put that bull bar on that car neways, if that car has a serious head on good luck the occupants living to tell the story, they will end up out the windscreen as that car will have an anormous amount of shock going through it on front impact.

Good for roos but not much else.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 10:46 AM   #18
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Yeah fair point, but they sure do make those kangaroos bounce right off!
I'd be more concerned what would happen to the subframe of the car. Modern cars aren't really designed for a sizable impact using a rigid front bumper assembly. AHAIK modern, big 4x4s like 'Cruisers and whatnot still use a full chassis, so a bullbar like this would spread the impact down the chassis; no real problem. But in a passenger car, where would that force go? It has to disapate somewhere? The bullbar would probably be fine, but unless the whole thing was tied together with subframe connectors and whatnot I think the vehicle would be stuffed after a few good hits? I'd be more inclinded to try the SmartBars that offer some flex ..
BTW: I've moved into a 'roo infested area, so I'm interested in doing something soon. I *was* thinking of fitting a big-assed 'roo-bar onto my '69 Phoenix and going hell-for-leather, but the Phoenix is unibody construction too, so I'm not sure about it taking a big hit either. It would probably just damage where the subframe assembly mounts to the body ..
Rod.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 10:47 AM   #19
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
I could understand if that car was in the country but around the city area, it IS very unsafe. Imagine that thing hitting a pedestrian. Poor bugger would just go under the car instead of over the bonnet like on a "normal" car.
I'm sorry, but some people who live and work in the country do have to come into town occasionally.
I'll agree there are some big bullbar cars getting around that have never seen dirt, but there are also plenty of 4WD's with Waeco fridges and all the off road gear who haven't either. Same Argument.

The manufacturers of bullbars are working hard to make bars that cater to this market that are still compliant with the current legislation. These rules are still changing to try and stamp out all bullbars just like trying to force 4WD's off the road.

If I got hit by any car I'd be upset, I wouldn't care if there was a bullbar or not really, it would just hurt a lot.

Yes a bullbar can be a godsend in the country, and although they aren't ideal for city driving, if you have to drive in the city you would obviously be more observant and aware of the silly pedestrian that dares to step into traffic.
Mack 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 10:58 AM   #20
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Until Ford can come out with a factory bullbar that actually does a decent job of protecting the front of my ute, and myself, well I will stick with my 5 Poster.
But even i will admit there are some bloody big bars out there, that are way over the top. Mine is big, but not bloody truck size!!! I believe that bar is a "Sick Puppy"
http://www.blueys.com.au/acc-sickpuppy.htm
Old 02-05-2006, 11:08 AM   #21
OldManGhia

The BA Ute was passing through Coffs when we took the pic, so I cant say if it was a country car or city car. Either way it was nice clean unit.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:57 PM   #22
wicksy
Just a bogan VF SS driver

i got nothing against bullbars i like them and darren i like ur sig "Ban Stupid Pedestrians Before Banning Bullbars" people dont understand how much they mean to people in the bush but each to their own i guess i had a bullbar on my XD and boy did that sve teh car loads of times
wicksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 02:20 PM   #23
gozza

d in a rural town it would be ok.....i used to live in grafton...and each drive home from town at night constituted of Roo Dodging...hit a couple here and there too...

in the city....that things should be banished
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 02:22 PM   #24
Penelope Pitstop
Can't get enough of this.

Location: Standing on the driveway sobbing because I don't have a PINK ute anymore :0(

Personally I like Bull Bars although that one on the BA is a little over the top.

I have been involved in an accident where a bull bar saved me from harm - imagine a vehicle ramming into a brick wall at speed. I walked out of that accident without a mark on me - the bull bar took the full force and was dented quite badly but both myself and the car were uninjured. Did the job! I live in the city but have still had a collision with a Koala that resulted in a lot of damage as well as Wallabies.

Each to their own....

Last edited by Penelope Pitstop; 02-05-2006 at 02:31 PM. Reason: spelling - couldn't live with it wrong!
Penelope Pitstop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 06:44 PM   #25
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack 6
I'm sorry, but some people who live and work in the country do have to come into town occasionally.
I'll agree there are some big bullbar cars getting around that have never seen dirt, but there are also plenty of 4WD's with Waeco fridges and all the off road gear who haven't either. Same Argument.
Yeah sorry... I forgot to mention that I only object to those who don't ever ever intend on seeing dirt. I'm fine with country people who come into the city with a bullbar cause well... I wouldn't expect them to have another car dedicated for city driving.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 08:49 PM   #26
WINDSR
Genuine V8

Its funny. I helped a mate fit a bullbar the size of the one in the photo to a BA ute. Far enough, he is a country bloke travelling, country miles. BnS and Deni ute muster he attends.

BUT!!! When fitting the bar we quickly realised that they were never made for a bulbar like this. Where the bullbar mounts up is on the fake, flimsy, chassis rail up front. Really, the front end is not made for it. Hit something fairly hard and more damage will occur than not having one.

I like the look of those big bars, eg. (Sick Puppys) on utes that are country. Just my opinion.

WINDSR plates for sale. (VIC) PM if interested.
WINDSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 09:43 PM   #27
OldManGhia

I wouldn't bother with a bullbar on my AU. I just have a couple of roo whistles and I haven't hit anything yet. Cheaper and so far, effective.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:56 PM   #28
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU98C-Wagon
I wouldn't bother with a bullbar on my AU. I just have a couple of roo whistles and I haven't hit anything yet. Cheaper and so far, effective.
The jury is still out on roo whistles out here in the centre... seen plenty of wrecked cars with those little tweeters screwed on. I have found the most effective way of avoiding roos is
1. The best driving lights that you can afford.
2. Top speed of 80k around dawn and dusk.
3 100k during full darkness when the driving lights take full affect.
4. If you do see roos, and they look like getting in the way, brake gently and blast the horn until they bugger off. It seems although they get dazzled by the lights they seem to work out which way to go to get away from the noisey horn.

5. try not to drive at night... not always practical, I know.
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post