Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-01-2023, 06:55 AM   #211
WagonJunkie

Default Re: 2001 AUII ute immobilizer problems

I didn't know there was different bonnets...?

Regarding nearlythere issues:
It sounds similar to the problem I had. My ute wouldn't exit theft mode even after a full key re-program & PATS reset. (With 2 factory keys)

But as soon as I plugged in a new (2nd hand) BEM & ran the keys & PATS program again, it started first try.
Haven't had issue since.
It was a bit of a gamble...but it sounds like you've eliminated most other things?
WagonJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-01-2023, 10:32 AM   #212
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonJunkie View Post
I didn't know there was different bonnets...?

yeah - AU1/utes/XR - Fairmonts etc, then utes/XR with rest using same same on AU2
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2024, 05:13 PM   #213
dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonJunkie View Post
So unless the mods think I should start my own thread (?), I'm going to "adopt" Mr Furious' old thread to see if I can get my ute running.
It has been almost a month since Smartshield mysteriously activated & called the cops on the party.
The only clues was on the day it failed it got progressively harder to start over a few hours, as I went from place to place running errands 'n stuff.

So I have run the PATS procedure thru FORScan, and the Module Initialization, with both factory keys. The system had no problem recognizing & relearning the keys - it bumped the locks up/down to indicated the process worked on both keys.

I have attached a couple of screenshots of the errors.
I would love more info about IC B2682 "EEC (PCM) Communication Fault ??
Not a very specific code....wondering where to start?
Unfortunately I’m in the same boat. Fine yesterday. This morning no start! Tried a few times. Now fast flashing of the smart shield instrument cluster lamp and starter motor locked out!!!

My Ute is the series 1 (small brake calipers 1999 model). Two keys and remotes all previously working fine. Interior lights etc working fine. First up I plan to check out the wreckers to see if a suitable BEM module is available locally. Also will have to update forscan as I had previously downloaded program but never had to use it.

Although I have read this and other threads regarding smart shield anything I should/could do suggestions welcomed. For example tried the hold the key in the start position for < three seconds to force read of key chip ( no difference ). Will also do a fuse check to double check for any blown fuses although everything seems fine.

Please wish me luck .

Last edited by dollars; 14-07-2024 at 05:23 PM.
dollars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2024, 07:01 PM   #214
asimplelife
mechanical novice hopeful
Donating Member2

I am no expert...and I only have series 2/3 AU's.
But yes, once you have exhausted the simple things (which may be different for AU1), if you can find a BEM for 50 bucks or less, I would try that next.
I am also not sure if Forscan works the same for AU1 as it does for AU2 and 3.
But to re pair the PCM/ECU to the BEM, you also need Forscan extended, which is a small charge you have to pay. I can't remember the steps off the top of my head. But it's all spelt out on the website. And if you're like me you may need to spend some time digesting it all.
Good luck.
And I'd be confident you can get a resolution...although you may need to spend some time. And to reduce how long it takes, make sure you are meticulous with your steps. I find it really easy to forget what I just did. So I write it down as I go to overcome that.
asimplelife is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM   #215
dollars

Thanks ASL. Checked the simple things first. All the fuses checked out OK. Funnily enough when I went looking for the BEM module I found it was flopping around under the left hand side of the lower dash. The bracket that is supposed to locate it was loose and I managed to unplug it without removing the dash!

Interestingly it has a service sticker on it serviced on the 26/08/21? A couple of years before the son in law first purchased the one tonner Ute.

Unfortunately no colour markings on the module (all grey no pink or blue) Next part of the plan ,as you and others suggested, is off to the local wreckers to see if they have a suitable replacement.

Thanks to WJ also. Just double checked out the images you posted of the BEM to make sure I had the correct component lol.

Last edited by dollars; Yesterday at 02:58 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM   #216
asimplelife
Donating Member2

I never got to the bottom of which colour BEM's are for what. And both WagonJunkie and myself were talking about S2 and S3.
I am not sure if S1 BEM's are different...they might be...given the different security systems.
Usually I have found there was not much demand for BEM's.I would be trying a pick a part type wrecker. I am fortunate to have 4 within a reasonable distance. I'd be trying to find one with an S1 ute.Or maybe there is someone wrecking one close by on FB Marketplace or Gumtree.If the existing BEM was not secured and able to bounce around...that seems to me to to make it more likely that the BEM has failed.
Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM   #217
dollars

Still ongoing. Spoke with our local wrecker ( only one in town). Had a few of the later model blue and pink Modules. Mine is the early “grey”type also mentioned might be a difference between manual and auto transmissions ( mine is the 5 speed manual ) Also mentioned the bypass chip (J6 ?) or the looping of the power wires to bypass the immobiliser.

He also suggested a ex ford dealership mechanic in town who is good with these models. I visited his workshop and spoke briefly he didn’t have a suitable spare replacement module but he did seem experienced with these. He suggested that my module might just need a parameter reset ( ie reset communication between BEM and ECU ) and had seen this fault previously. This wouldn’t require reprogramming keys etc that a module replacement would require. He didn’t have a scan tool himself but suggested a local mechanic that had one but also mentioned that the last time he had to show the other mechanic how to perform the reset. He suggested that Forscan wouldn’t work!

So mixed results. So I still would like to try and find a suitable replacement module. I have put an add up on gumtree will have a browse online later tonight. Upgrade Forscan to try and reset communications or perform the full reset if when I can locate a replacement module

TIA for your help, much appreciated.

Last edited by dollars; Yesterday at 08:00 PM.
Old Today, 10:49 AM   #218
asimplelife
Donating Member2

As I mentioned initially, I am no expert.
But I don't believe the comment about Forscan by the mechanic is correct.
With access to a real scan tool he wouldn't have needed to use Forscan.
From memory, as I haven't used it in a while. Forscan DOES do the reset to get the BEM and ECU/PCM communicating again.

If you don't already have one, you need to buy a cheap ebay ELM device to plug into your cars port in the fuse area and connect to the laptop with Forscan and the extended addin installed on it. The Forscan website provides advice about that. There is also a thread or 2 on here that specifically mentions which devices on ebay work the best. I initially bought a cheap one for 10 bucks. Then wasn't sure if that could be part of my problem. So bought a better $70 one. And that was no better. But be careful because some of the cheap ebay ones are reported to be no good.

I wasn't sure about whether the BEM was different for auto and manual so did not mention it. I don't think it is though. I believe the ECU/PCM controls the differences between auto and manual.
I am also not sure whether it makes too much difference for a ute to use a sedan/wagon BEM. It may only be the 2 door v 4 doors and a boot that is the difference. If you are stuck for a ute one but can get a sedan one for free or cheap I'd give that a shot.
The thing I know nothing about is the AU1 v AU2/3. I suspect that you will have to use an AU1 one.
Sorry I can't be more specific. Much of the gaps in my knowledge will be answered in various posts on this and other forums...but that is time consuming...so it just depends on your situation. I could spend some more time going through my own notes but am flat out on something else at the moment. Plus having no experience with AU1 and it's different security system makes my info less relevant. I believe AU1 is more like the late E series models that preceded it. Having said that, perhaps their BEM's might be interchangeable with late E series?...I don't know that for sure though.

At best I am trying not to mislead you.
But I also want to say that I think your problem is fixable for not much money but maybe a lot of time depending on your experience and ability.
I've got a low km 2010 VW van sitting on the street for over 2 years now that I've had since new which seems to have an ECU problem...and that is a far bigger headache for me than any AU falcon issue I have experienced. My VW mechanic gave up on it and I then wasted $500 with an auto elec who somehow made the problem worse. I now need to spend a lot of money on a quality scan tool and hundreds of dollars more on a second hand ecu just to try and get it started...now that for me is a BIG problem :(

Last edited by asimplelife; Today at 10:55 AM.
Old Today, 01:01 PM   #219
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

This thread on the Forscan Forum https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic....r+reset#p63917 does suggests that it cannot do the parameter reset.
Old Today, 02:34 PM   #220
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Still it would be worth posting the Question on the Forscan forum.
Old Today, 02:56 PM   #221
dollars

Thanks again to ASL and Aussiblue for your constructive comments and encouragement

This is a great informative thread with lots of contributors and a lot of reads.

I tend to agree with your comments regarding the mechanics assumption regarding forscan. You would think that some part of the scan would include an initiate communication request/ reset for the various modules to communicate with the ECU!

I believe from many hours of reading on this forum and other sites that all the early S1 AU cab chassis had the new “Smart shield” installed. The wagons and the sedans were updated mid series.

So far haven’t been able to find a “grey” BEM still looking. While browsing also spotted the reprogrammed ECU with smartshield removed advert for $269. So that is another option if all else fails!

Already have the ELM unit just need to update forscan program

And now going to read up with link provided by AB

Cheers and best wishes

Last edited by dollars; Today at 03:12 PM.
Old Today, 05:37 PM   #222
portokatsiki

Had same pronlem about 14 years ago on my S1 TE50 immoboliser wouldnt let me start the car. Bit the bullet and towed to the ford dealer who did a parameter reset and all was good. My car losked me out after I installed an aftermarket chip in the ecu. Costly excercise. Sometimes leaving the ignition on for an hour can marry the ecu,bcm,and the key and enables you to start the car.
portokatsiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 06:18 PM   #223
asimplelife
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollars View Post
He suggested that my module might just need a parameter reset ( ie reset communication between BEM and ECU ) and had seen this fault previously. This wouldn’t require reprogramming keys etc that a module replacement would require. He didn’t have a scan tool himself but suggested a local mechanic that had one but also mentioned that the last time he had to show the other mechanic how to perform the reset. He suggested that Forscan wouldn’t work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by asimplelife
But I don't believe the comment about Forscan by the mechanic is correct. With access to a real scan tool he wouldn't have needed to use Forscan. From memory, as I haven't used it in a while. Forscan DOES do the reset to get the BEM and ECU/PCM communicating again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
This thread on the Forscan Forum does suggests that it cannot do the parameter reset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollars View Post
I tend to agree with your comments regarding the mechanics assumption regarding forscan. You would think that some part of the scan would include an initiate communication request/ reset for the various modules to communicate with the [COLOR=#F80000 ]ECU[/COLOR]!
Just in case you were referring to my comment, I am now less sure now that I was talking about the same thing as the mechanic.

I am talking from my AU2/3 experience. I had assumed that "Paramter Reset" was what happens when Forscan extended re-links the BEM and ECU/PCM. It definitely does this as I have swapped over a number of ECU/PCMs. And the car won't start until you have run the Forscan process (and with this process and the 2 genuine keys you have to be careful not to mix up your steps).

However perhaps the "Paramter Reset" is a different thing for an AU1 with their different security system? And Forscan has not been programmed to do this?

I am deliberately trying to not use any specific terminology here and mislead you. I haven't taken the time to re read everything and am just speaking from memory. And not with any AU1 experience.