Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-09-2006, 01:39 PM   #1
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

Default Parking on the apex

:

Why is it that some people who live on winding suburban streets, insist on parking their cars in the street on the apex of a blind corner.
This forces you to go wide around the corner, not knowing if there are any oncoming cars...

The thing that annoys me the most, is that the people who park their cars in such positions all have empty driveways...

I have had quite a few scary moments on my street as I've had to swing wide around a curve, only to find an oncoming car heading straight for me. Its bloody dangerous!

Who else has had such experiances? Is there anything that can be done about it?? It has already caused a few head on crashes in my street, and I don't want to be next...

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 01:45 PM   #2
Hally

You have already answered the reason they do it...... it is usually a blind corner and they struggle to reverse out of there driveway withoout seeing what is coming.

I agree it is annoying, and that they should learn to back into there driveway, but legally there is nothing that can be done.
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 01:50 PM   #3
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Happens somewhat frequently where I live. It's not such a problem if the drivers that live in the area are responsible but my street, and neighbouring streets are full of dumbarses who have nearly cleaned me up.

If they hit my car because they are being a fool, they will have a swift kick in the backside from me.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 01:56 PM   #4
Allen

I think they should make an exemption for people that live on curves, they should be allowed to park on their nature strip, to stop them from parking in a potentially dangerous place.

It may be legal for them to park there, but it doesn't mean its safe...

My street is also full of boy racers, which treat the curve in question as a perfect place to pretend they are in a V8 supercar... Only making the problem worse...

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Old 18-09-2006, 04:59 PM   #5
bob^
LPS

Yep, I see this everyday. I live on a street which is exactly like this.

The other thing that happens is people treat it like a race track and take racing lines around the blind corners. Almost been wiped out a few times by little boy racer going blind around a parked car at full pelt, or taking his racing line.

The other stupid part about the street is there are courts comming off it, just before/after the blind corner. Clearly a poor designed street.

I'd like speedhumps put in the street, but I don't think many people would be keen on that
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 09:38 PM   #6
jason71
google is my friend

I’ve got a street near me were cars are parked just before the crest a very steep hill. There is no way of seeing what is coming, one day I almost had a head on with **g bus! Got me baffled why they park there!
jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 10:28 PM   #7
plext
Forum Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlane_ghia
My street is also full of boy racers, which treat the curve in question as a perfect place to pretend they are in a V8 supercar... Only making the problem worse...
And therein lies the real issue.

If a vehicle is legally parked on on a residential street, it will pose no danger whatsoever to anybody if those around drive to the conditions. Not I hasten to add, the posted limit, the conditions.
plext is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 11:08 PM   #8
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes same in tville, no one parks in the garage thats where their junks goes...dunno why
people park on my street and usually opposite another car so only one car at a time can go through...down side is no one knows how to give way. also those thats use to park on the apex learned the hard way and expensive way.
one day (during the construction of the houses, my place is the new area) a big truck goes flying down road, goes around and BANGGG!!!!! car went about 3 blocks down the road, car bits everywhere, talked to the owner few days after and insurance said they werent gonna cover it because it was parked illegaly. well it sorta is (refer to your Learners manual), dont no what happened after though.

live and learn....though the best option you have is talk to them, tell them you or someone is gonna hit the car, can you please reverse it onto the driveway or park across the driveway but off the road...ask nicely and they should do it.

if not spike strip should slow 'em down :

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 11:17 PM   #9
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

It may or may not be legal, but if the owners dont want the risk of their car being run into, they need to be more thoughtful where they park.

On a similar situation, I see it quite often where drivers open their door without looking to see if any car is coming.

Some people are so absent minded.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 11:35 PM   #10
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by plext
If a vehicle is legally parked on on a residential street, it will pose no danger whatsoever to anybody if those around drive to the conditions. Not I hasten to add, the posted limit, the conditions.
Sorry, but I don't agree there.

Yes the cars are legally parked, but that does not mean that it is safe.

I could pull over on the side of the highway legally... doesn't mean it is safe.

The curve in my street, is on the side of a hill, so it is blind and off-camber.
In order to drive around these cars it is about 20 meters on the wrong side of the road. (as they park all four of their cars on the street)

Being a blind corner, a collision is inevitable even if both cars are doing 50km/h, should two cars both take the corner at the same time, not knowing of each other due to the parked cars blocking the veiw.

There should really be a double white line on these type of curves, so that people cannot double park there.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Old 18-09-2006, 11:45 PM   #11
Allen

Hopefully this explains the situation.

The red is where these people park 4, sometimes 5 cars on the street. The fact that it is on a off camber gradiant just makes things worse.

It may look like a gentle curve, but the hill makes it tricky, even at 50km/h

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Old 19-09-2006, 12:31 AM   #12
Gaz
Got Ghia?

wouldnt that make it illegal by parking with 6m? (long time ago haha) of an intersection?

we have a guy in our street to parks on the crest of a hill, many times ive had the ABS kick in from people driving around this car at 60 with me coming the opposite way.
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2006, 08:38 AM   #13
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are probably the same people who park at then end of T-intersections or facing the wrong way down a two-way street. Highly annoying and also illegal.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2006, 11:24 AM   #14
Genghis
It's Clobberin' Time!

I have nearly the same identical issue on my street but the road is a little wider so that reduces some of the probability of a bingle.

In the afternoon in winter though, the sun is in just the right spot and when you factor in the blind crest you're practically in God's hands.

I guess the people who park there don't see there is a problem because they don't actually have to negotiate the curve.

Have you spoken with them to alert them of the hazard, they may be oblivious to the problem.

Former Fords:
2003 Blood Orange BA XR8
1993 Winter White XG S Ute
Genghis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2006, 11:30 AM   #15
Allen

Yeah, the sun is a problem of an evening for me too... the people who live there know that it is a problem, as there have been a number of crashes.
One morning one of the parked cars was collected by a car. So they know that it isn't safe, yet they continue to park there.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Old 19-09-2006, 11:33 AM   #16
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1) Take photos of location with parked cars.
2) Write letter to traffic section of local council and cc RTA - attach pictures.
3) Someone from council/RTA will go out on site and investigate.
4) If they decide that it is dangerous then they will take it to "Traffic Committee"
4) a) Alternativly you can (depending on your local councils laws) skip Step 2/3 and go directly to the traffic committee yourself.
5) Traffic Committee meeting - which is attended by Council, RTA, Police, Public Transport providers ect - then raise the issue and an answer is usually supplied on the spot for simple decisions.
6) If successful council would then pay for and erect "No stopping" or appropriate signage at the location.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2006, 11:42 AM   #17
Browney

Hey i can see my house from here, lol.
I live down that court coming off this particular corner and i'm very surprised that there hasn't been a serious accident there yet, even without the cars being there its a dangerous corner.
The boy racer types around here make it even worse and tend to love this road.
It's not even just cars ever there has been a truck parked there for a couple of days now i think.
Old 19-09-2006, 11:52 AM   #18
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Should the road not have line markings which prevent you from crossing the centre lines, also making it illegal to park there? At the least, they shouldnt be parking in that intersection, which appears to be where the apex is.
Old 19-09-2006, 12:06 PM   #19
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Should the road not have line markings which prevent you from crossing the centre lines, also making it illegal to park there? At the least, they shouldnt be parking in that intersection, which appears to be where the apex is.
thats exactly my thoughts... there are other streets in my suburb that have double white lines around such corners, so perhaps its an issue that should be raised with the city council.

merlins advice may prove useful...

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Old 19-09-2006, 12:24 PM   #20
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

I can definitely relate to your fury this happens all the time on the street joining the hwy to my g/fs street.

It is extremely irritating, even more so when it's a 4x4 or other larger vehicle obstructing your vision even further.
Old 19-09-2006, 01:45 PM   #21
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I hate that, but I find most people are courteous about it. What about the people who park right at the end of a suburban T intersection - right at the T.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 04:51 PM   #22
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

It is illegal to park opposite a T intersection like you have shown, even if the street was straight. Perhaps see if the council will put up No Standing signs?
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 04:54 PM   #23
Allen

I thought it was illegal to park directly across from a T-intersection... I've been trying to find who I could contact within the council so I can raise the issue...
Almost got collected again coming home last night... :P

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR