Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #301
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: First Chinese Cars Entering Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Seems you care more about the cost of it than your daughters safety.

Let it not be mentioned, that the current ANCAP ratings for the Ranger (assume new one hasnt been rated yet) and Transit are currently sitting at 3 stars.

ANCAP then goes onto say - Make safety a high priority when choosing your next car. Look for vehicle with a minimum of 4 stars... it could save your life.

Using generic assumptions, roughly 30% of the cars imported by Ford Oz last month, shouldnt be on the roads.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #302
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Seems you care more about the cost of it than your daughters safety.
That is a valid comment and one that needs careful consideration.......of course we all want the cars we travel in to be "accredited" as safe..no doubt. If extreme level of safety was paramount - we really all should be selling our old "coffin on wheels" Falcons and commodores that are probably ANCAP 2 star rated and upgrade.......No !

What's the difference between your family member driving around in an EA - EB , ED Falcon which I'm sure are not 4 or 5 star rated - and a new Chinese manufactured car which would probably be ANCAP 4 star ????

Most people will factor safety in to the equation but from my experience - most buyers would not scoff at a 4 star ANCAP rated car over a 5 star rated car........

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 12:06 AM   #303
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Chery J1 scores three stars in crash tests

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25788C0026DC72

Quote:
ANCAP critical of Chery J1 crash protection after first Chinese car test

10 May 2011

By RON HAMMERTON

THE first Chinese-built passenger car to be crash tested under the independent Australasian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP) – Chery’s pint-size J1 hatchback – has earned three stars, along with some stinging criticism for its safety shortcomings.

ANCAP’S report released today says the J1 – the cheapest new car on the Australian market at $10,990 drive-away – suffered what ANCAP describes as a “loss of structural integrity” in the 64km/h front offset crash test conducted in April, resulting in “considerable risk for occupants”.

The crash safety organisation also released a revised result for the Australian-made Camry and Camry Hybrid, elevating both mid-size sedans from four stars to five stars after Toyota made safety improvements in cars entering production at its Altona factory in Victoria this month, bringing it into line with the larger five-star Aurion sedan also produced at the plant.

As GoAuto reported exclusively this week, the tweaks – which include a seatbelt reminder device for the front passenger seat and more crash protection for the driver’s knees – have been made just weeks before the Australian government introduces a mandatory five-star safety standard for all federal fleet passenger car purchases from July 1.

Without the improvements, the Camry would have become the only Australian-built car to be excluded from federal fleet sales, putting a major hole in its sales volumes and giving rivals a free kick, at least until an all-new Camry arrives later this year and the next-generation Camry Hybrid follows it on sale in 2012.

While ANCAP welcomed the Camry into the five-star club, it dished out some tough love to Chery following the debut performance of China’s first passenger car in Australia, where Chery is distributed by the nation’s biggest independent importer, Ateco Automotive.

ANCAP chairman Lauchlan McIntosh said the J1 offered poor protection against serious chest injury to the driver in both the front offset and side impact crash tests.

“We were concerned over the lack of head-protecting side airbags and electronic stability control (ESC) on this model,” he said.

“These life-saving features are available on competing models from other manufacturers – many of which have a five-star ANCAP rating.”

The lack of ESC has precluded sales of the J1 and its J11 SUV sibling in Victoria, where roadworthy rules require all passenger vehicles to be fitted with the device, ahead of federal rules that will require ESC on all new cars registered nationally from November.

Ateco Chinese brands spokesman Daniel Cotterill told GoAuto that Chery was working on ESC for the J1 and J11, and planned to have the revised vehicles in showrooms ahead of the Australian Design Rule deadline in November “as soon as they can reasonably get it done”.

“It is not a bolt-on piece of technology,” he said. “It needs to be quite properly integrated into the whole engine management system and the anti-lock brakes and so on, and it needs to be thoroughly tested.”

Mr Cotterill said Chery – which had sent two crash safety engineers to Australia to observe the J1 crash tests – would use the experience to improve its safety levels.

“It gives them a real quick insight into it and, from where we sit, that’s going to result in rapid improvements via running changes to current models and, looking down the track, it will feed into the design of future models,” he said.

“I want to emphasise that all Cherys on sale in Australia are fully compliant with Australian design rules, as they have to be.”

Mr Cotterill described the crash tests as a fair result, adding: “It is better than I suspect a lot of people would have expected. It is a result that also could use some improvement.”

In 2009, Ateco’s other brand, Great Wall Motors, had to recall its V240 ute after a seatbelt failed during ANCAP crash testing, in which it scored just two stars. Last year, Great Wall’s X240 SUV fared much better, scoring a commendable four stars in the ANCAP tests.

The improvement to the Toyota Camry’s safety systems comes five years into the life of the current model and only months before the launch of the new-generation car.

In 2006, Toyota said it was too difficult to add a passenger seat warning device and extra knee protection to the car – two improvements that would have addressed the major safety shortcomings of the vehicle as seen by ANCAP and potentially lifted it to five stars.

The Camry Altise tested by ANCAP in 2006 scored 12.29 points out of a possible 16 in the offset crash test – short of the 12.5 necessary for five-star status.

But even if it had made 12.5 points, it still would not have qualified for the top rank because ANCAP requires seatbelt warning devices on both front seats. Until now, the Camry had the device fitted only to the driver’s seat.

Now, just days after the federal government announced that five stars would be the minimum safety standard for all passenger cars bought by the federal vehicle fleet from July 1, the Camry has been equipped with the passenger-side seatbelt warning device and extra padding to protect the driver’s knees.

Toyota is a major fleet supplier to the federal government and its agencies, which, under guidelines laid down by former finance minister Lindsay Tanner last year, are required to pick from a select list of passenger cars, all supplied by the three Australian manufacturers, Toyota, GM Holden and Ford.

The so-called Tier 1 cars – which departments and public service executives must choose from first – include all the Australian-made vehicles: Holden’s Commodore, Caprice and Cruze, Ford’s Falcon and Territory and Toyota’s Camry, Camry Hybrid and Aurion.

If they cannot find a car from that list that suits their operational requirement, they are permitted to select from a range of imported cars with engines smaller than 2.4 litres.

These cars on the Tier 2 list are all sold by the three local car-makers, but at least three – the Holden Barina and Captiva diesel and Toyota Yaris – currently fall short of the five-star requirement.

The four-star Barina and Yaris are both expected to be replaced with all-new models later this year, rectifying that situation, but it is unclear if the Captiva, which was updated earlier this year in a Series II facelift, can be elevated to five stars before the July 1 deadline.

This would make the Ford Territory the only qualified SUV in the two-tier list.

Toyota Australia senior executive director sales and marketing David Buttner said the ANCAP testing had confirmed that Camry and Hybrid Camry were strong cars that provided excellent protection for occupants.

“This was no surprise because Toyota’s own extensive tests ensure all our vehicles meet or exceed safety standards in every country in which they are sold,” he said.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:58 AM   #304
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Phht...I wouldn't really like to be in any small cheap economy car from any manufacturer in an accident.
Our son has a brand new Suzuki Alto...and while it's a nice zippy little car with comfy seats and airbags, I still am acutely aware that there just ain't that much sheet metal between me and whatever we might hit...

I bet losing a government contract scared Toyota...seeing as how maybe more than half the police cars I've seen lately have been Aurions...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #305
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...511-1ehwx.html

Quote:
China's new hatch: 'high risk' of injury
Jez Spinks
May 11, 2011 - 1:45PM

Chery J1 joins list of Chinese-made vehicles to have performed poorly in crash testing.

Buyers of Australia's cheapest car could pay a heavier price after local crash-testing revealed the Chinese-made Chery J1 potentially posed a high risk of life-threatening injuries in an accident.

The new, $10,990-drive-away city car has been awarded only three stars out of five by independent body the Australasian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP), recording one of the lowest scores yet in an offset crash test.

ANCAP scored the J1 5.233 out of a maximum of 16 points in the 64km/h test, stating that the J1's passenger compartment lost structural integrity and that "protection from serious chest injury was poor for the driver".
Advertisement: Story continues below

The driver's knees were also said to be at risk of injury from both the edge of the centre console and steering column components.

Chery's five-door hatchback scored 11.733 out of 16 in a side-impact crash test, with ANCAP declaring the results suggested "a high risk of a life-threatening chest injury for the driver".

The J1 lacks a number of safety features compared with most cars in the city-car segment. It's equipped with only two airbags, for driver and front passenger, and lacks an electronic stability control that can brake individual wheels to help control an unintentional skid.

The omission of stability control has prevented Chery from selling cars in Victoria, where the safety technology is mandatory; other states will mandate the fitment of stability control by the end of the year.

Chinese vehicles, which are being imported to Australia in increasing numbers, have a history of performing poorly in crash tests.

Great Wall Motors's SA220 and V240 utes scored just two stars in ANCAP testing last year.

The first Chinese vehicle to be tested by Euro NCAP, the Landwind C9, also scored only two stars last year - the lowest test result of the year.

A spokesman for Chery importer Ateco Automotive said the Chinese brand sent two senior engineers to Australia to learn from the crash-test procedure and results.

"The engineers spoke to the ANCAP people at length and observed the tests," says Daniel Cotterill. "What I would say is we have seen the speed with which Chinese manufacturers can react to these results. And I expect Chery to do well in their response."

Cotterill said Chery was aiming to fit the J1 with stability control "as soon as possible".

Chery will enter Australia's most popular vehicle segment later this year with the arrival of the J3 small car. Ateco said it would have six airbags as standard.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #306
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2011, 04:22 PM   #307
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
What's the difference between your family member driving around in an EA - EB , ED Falcon which I'm sure are not 4 or 5 star rated - and a new Chinese manufactured car which would probably be ANCAP 4 star ????
A heck of a lot of more quality steel and then some. Most new drivers these days have a recent model car anyway that has airbags, abs etc. (available since mid 1990s on Falcadorres).

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #308
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still want to know who would like to be in any small car in a decent accident.
Only a while ago Australian cars wouldn't have met most world safety standards. Not that long back "3 stars" would have been seen as a real accomplishment.
Further back, none of us had airbags at all...or just a drivers bag...and we thought nothing of it and didn't drive around in a state of terror. Well...my sister in law the nurse does. She's actually frightened of going in a car with less than six airbags...honestly.

Three stars out of five is perfectly acceptable for a tiny economy car. If you buy something that small and start mixing it in city traffic with large cars and four wheel drives, don't go thinking that if it has five stars you are invulnerable...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #309
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I still want to know who would like to be in any small car in a decent accident.
Only a while ago Australian cars wouldn't have met most world safety standards. Not that long back "3 stars" would have been seen as a real accomplishment.
Further back, none of us had airbags at all...or just a drivers bag...and we thought nothing of it and didn't drive around in a state of terror. Well...my sister in law the nurse does. She's actually frightened of going in a car with less than six airbags...honestly.

Three stars out of five is perfectly acceptable for a tiny economy car. If you buy something that small and start mixing it in city traffic with large cars and four wheel drives, don't go thinking that if it has five stars you are invulnerable...

Roughly 40,000 road motor cycles and 10,000 scooters are sold each year. Maybe Chery buyers should be supplied with a decent Helmet, and they would be no worse off than these other 50,000 motorists each year.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2011, 11:17 PM   #310
bingoTE50
Steve

My 94 hilux has no airbags ,no ABS , no worries for me . You watch I'll get hit by a truck tomorrow !!! lol . .. I remember travelling in the parents EJ Holden with no seat belts in the rear ,in fact my 63 VW had none until I put some in it from a wrecked XB GT a mate bought to put the motor in his panel van ...
So I suppose the key is not to hit anything to hard and hopefully don't get hit by anything to large . I would like to think that what we all want no matter what we drive .
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2011, 09:34 AM   #311
napmatt
Starter Motor

the ute looks totally crap but the 4x4 doesnt look 2 bad. still though, so guttless haha, i suppose thats what you get for that kinda money.
napmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #312
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Another Great Wall recall

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25789D0024FEEE

Quote:
Chinese manufacturer recalls more than 900 Australian X240 SUVs

27 May 2011

By MIKE COSTELLO

GREAT Wall Motors has recalled 922 examples of the X240 compact SUV because the steering column may come into contact with the car’s brake pipe.

The recall notice placed on the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) website states that “it is possible that the lower section of the steering column may come into contact with the front-right hydraulic brake pipe due to the small clearance between the two.

“The column may rub against the pipe during operation resulting in a leak in the hydraulic brake pipe.”’

Owners of affected vehicles will be contacted and advised to see their local dealer for an inspection and, if necessary, a replacement brake pipe.

Public affairs consultant for Ateco Automotive – the distributor of Great Wall Motors in Australia - Daniel Cotterill, told GoAuto: “There has been an issue noted on one X240 concerning the incorrect fitment of a brake pipe in the factory.

“This has led to the recall of 922 potentially affected 2010 model X240s for inspection and rectification if necessary. None of the facelifted models are included,” he said.

Last month’s X240’s facelift gave the car sleeker frontal styling and a substantial increase in standard equipment, including a reversing camera, DVD player, Bluetooth connectivity and steering wheel audio controls.

As GoAuto reported in April, the X240 – which is powered by a 100kW/200Nm 2.4-litre petrol engine and available only with a five-speed manual transmission – is set to be joined by an X200 TDi model powered by a 105kW 2.0-litre turbo-diesel engine matched with both six-speed manual and five-speed automatic gearboxes.

Mr Cotterill confirmed this week that the release of the diesel engine and automatic transmission for the X200 is scheduled for the third quarter of this year.

Great Wall shifted 346 X240s in April, meaning the SUV accounted for almost half of the company’s 711 total national sales for the month and outsold rivals such as the Ford Escape, Kia Sportage and Suzuki Grand Vitara.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #313
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2578E1001BEC91

Chery J1 recalled in response to ANCAP result

Quote:
Ateco recalls 702 Chery J1s to replace front seat backrests and improve crash safety

3 August 2011

By HAITHAM RAZAGUI

AUSTRALIA’S cheapest car, the Chery J1 – priced at just $10,990 drive-away – has been recalled to address concerns over the three-star ANCAP safety rating it attained in May.

All 702 examples of the Chinese-built J1 brought into Australia so far – including vehicles sold, dealer and importer stock – are being recalled to have the backrests of their front seats replaced with redesigned components that Chery importer Ateco says “perform substantially better”.

Ateco’s Chinese brands spokesman Daniel Cotterill told GoAuto the seat redesign was “done in light of the ANCAP crash testing that was done here, where we got a three-star result”.

“I don’t think anyone was too pleased with that, so they redesigned that (backrest) component,” he said.

The ACCC recall website describes the J1’s defect as being an “internal non-conformity of both front seat backrests”, and that “under certain operating conditions, the integrity of the seat frame structure may be compromised”.

Mr Cotterill said Ateco had seen test results of the car with the redesigned backrests and been pleased with the results.

“We think it performs substantially better now in private testing and we think actually it’d probably get four stars now,” he said.

ANCAP spokesman Allan Yates suggested that the J1 would not be re-tested, meaning its three-star rating is likely to remain until at least the model’s next significant model revision.

Chery J1 owners will be contacted by letter and advised to contact their dealer to arrange for the replacement of their front seat backrests. The procedure will involve the removal of both front seats. They will be re-fitted using new mounting bolts.

The Australian-delivered J1 went on sale in March this year and went on to sell an average of 61 units a month, peaking in May with 82 sales.

Just seven J1s were sold in July, meaning 451 of the 702 cars imported to Australia remain unsold with the Australia-wide November deadline for mandatory electronic stability control (ESC) fast approaching.

At the time of the J1’s ANCAP test, the crash-testing organisation expressed concern about the vehicle’s lack of ESC – and issue that Ateco says it will address.

A state law mandating ESC has kept the J1 and its J11 SUV stablemate out of Victorian showrooms since January 1.

Ateco – which pioneered Chinese vehicles on the Australian market – also recalled its V240 twin-cab ute in December 2009 after its ANCAP test revealed a potential seatbelt problem.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #314
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://www.caradvice.com.au/130776/2...-in-australia/

Quote:
2011 Chery J1 recalled in Australia
By Tim Beissmann | August 3rd, 2011

A mandatory safety recall of Australia’s cheapest car, the Chery J1, will “almost certainly” turn it into an unofficial four-star safety-rated car, according to the vehicle’s distributor.

A total of 702 Chery J1 five-door hatches have been recalled in Australia to repair a defect in the front seats. The defect was identified off the back of local crash testing conducted by ANCAP (Australasian New Car Assessment Program) in April.

The Chinese-made Chery J1 was awarded a three-star ANCAP safety rating in May, making it the equal least safe new passenger vehicle available in Australia. Fitted with just two airbags, ABS and EBD – and without electronic stability control or the option to fit additional airbags – the J1 cannot be sold in Victoria for this reason, and will need to be updated before November 1 to meet new national safety regulations.

Among the criticisms from ANCAP were:

“The passenger compartment lost structural integrity. Protection from serious chest injury was poor for the driver”, and,

“There was a high risk of a life-threatening chest injury for the driver.”

Daniel Cotterill from Ateco Automotive, the distributor of Chery vehicles in Australia, said Chery Automotive Australia believed a second crash test after the recall would elevate the J1 above its current rating.

“We think that it would almost certainly get a four-star rating,” Mr Cotterill said.

Despite this, Chery will not get a chance to prove the J1’s improved integrity, as ANCAP will not test the car again so soon after the initial crash round.

Around 300 Chery J1 vehicles have been sold to the public since the car’s launch in February. Approximately 400 other vehicles are currently in the hands of dealers and in other holding zones in Australia.

The official recall notice on the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission website explains:

“There is an internal non-conformity of both front seat backrests. Under certain operating conditions, the integrity of the seat frame structure may be compromised.”

Ateco Automotive says it will contact all customers advising them to bring their vehicles into dealerships.

“The dealers will remove both front seats from the vehicle and replace the backrest assembly on each seat. Both front seats will be refitted to the vehicle using the new mounting bolts as per recommendations.”

The recall repair will take around 40 minutes to complete.

The Chery J1 went on sale in Australia with a price tag of $11,990. In April, a $1000 cashback offer – which remains in place today – brought the effective driveaway price down to just $10,990, making it the outright cheapest new car in the country.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #315
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

How bout this new beaut ute from Foton http://www.caradvice.com.au/124135/f...early-in-2012/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Advice
A Sydney-based automotive distributor, WMC Group, has secured the rights to sell the brand in Australia. Foton vehicles are currently undergoing Australian Design Rule compliance testing, which will be finalised within the next two months.

Foton customers will have a choice between a Cummins 2.8-litre turbodiesel engine and a Mitsubishi-sourced 2.4-litre petrol engine.

The diesel engine will produce up to 120kW of power and 380Nm of torque.

Transmission options will include either a five-speed manual by Getrag and a ZF six-speed automatic.

WMC is planning a range of six model variants at launch including a 4×4 dual cab diesel, 4×2 dual cab petrol and diesel, 4×2 extra cab diesel, and 4×2 single cab petrol and diesel.

At 5310mm long, 1880mm wide, 1810mm high and with a ground clearance of 220mm, the Foton will be 180mm longer, 120mm wider and have a 10mm larger ground clearance than the comparative Toyota HiLux.

WMC is targeting at least a four-star ANCAP safety rating and will offer ABS, EBD and dual front airbags as standard.
Sounds the goods.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #316
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...805-1if67.html

Quote:
Safety agency takes aim at Chinese car
Matt Campbell
August 5, 2011 - 5:21PM

More than 700 Chinese-made Chery J1 hatchbacks recalled over safety issue with crash test authority ANCAP claiming the importer has made false statements.

Australia’s largest independent crash testing authority ANCAP has slammed the importer of Chinese made car brand Chery over the safety – or lack of it – in its tiny J1 hatchback.

The J1 – which, at $10,990 driveaway, currently holds the title of Australia’s cheapest car – scored three stars in its ANCAP crash test, managing just 16.97 points out of a possible 37. The report states the J1 exhibited a “high risk of life-threatening chest injury in side impact”.

Chery importer Ateco – which also imports brands such as Great Wall Motors, Citroen, Fiat and Alfa Romeo - defended the score when the results were released on Wednesday, and issued a recall for all 702 examples of the J1 to fix a faulty seat frame structure that in-part contributed to the three-star result.

Spokesman Daniel Cotterill was quoted in the media as suggesting that a rectified J1 – which would have the backrest assemblies of its front seats replaced and new seat mounting bolts fitted – would “almost certainly get a four-star rating” if the car were to be tested again.

ANCAP disagrees.

Chairman Lauchlan McIntosh says the claims made by Cotterill are “not correct”.

“We were surprised to hear ATECO’s spokesman, Daniel Cotterill, comment in the media that the modifications would now see the Chery J1 almost certainly get a four-star rating if crash tested again,” says McIntosh. “These comments are clearly incorrect, as the modifications would not impact the overall crash test result, and the Ateco engineering staff should be aware of this.

“We are disappointed at these comments, particularly given ANCAP works closely with the automotive industry to deliver safer vehicles for Australian motorists,” he says.

“The Chery J1 performed poorly in the crash tests - the passenger compartment lost structural integrity in the frontal impact test, providing limited protection from serious chest injury for the driver.”

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission’s recalls website states the J1 poses a hazard “under certain operating conditions, the integrity of the seat frame structure may be compromised”, and that the defect comes from “an internal non-conformity of both front seat backrests”.

Ateco has not returned calls for comment.

Owners of the 1.3-litre five-door J1 hatch will need to contact their dealership, where both front seats will be removed and the backrest assemblies will be replaced. As per recommendations, new seat mounting bolts will be used in the repair.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #317
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
How bout this new beaut ute from Foton http://www.caradvice.com.au/124135/f...early-in-2012/

Sounds the goods.
looks pretty good i wonder if it will be priced like the other Chinese cars I would look into one with a diesel.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #318
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Chery crash-test comment raises ANCAP ire

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2578E60029BE38

Quote:
ANCAP hits out at Chery’s claim that recall could earn four-star crash rating for J1

8 August 2011

By HAITHAM RAZAGUI

VEHICLE safety authority ANCAP has criticised Chinese car brand Chery for claiming a recall to replace the front seat backrests of its J1 light car would be enough to improve its crash safety rating from three stars to four.

Importer Ateco Automotive’s Chery spokesman Daniel Cotterill last week told GoAuto that private testing of the car fitted with redesigned backrests led the company to believe the J1 – which scored 16.97 out of a possible 37 – would “probably get four stars” were ANCAP to re-test it.

In response, ANCAP chairman Lauchlan McIntosh dismissed Mr Cotterill’s comment as incorrect.

“The modifications would not impact the overall crash test result, and the Ateco engineering staff should be aware of this,” he said.

“The Chery J1 performed poorly in the crash tests – the passenger compartment lost structural integrity in the frontal impact test, providing limited protection from serious chest injury for the driver.

“We are disappointed at (Chery’s) comments, particularly given ANCAP works closely with the automotive industry to deliver safer vehicles for Australian motorists.”

All 702 examples of the Chinese-built J1 brought into Australia so far – including vehicles sold, dealer and importer stock – are being recalled to have the backrests of their front seats replaced with redesigned components.

Mr Cotterill told GoAuto the seat redesign was “done in light of the ANCAP crash testing that was done here, where we got a three-star result”.

The ACCC recall website describes the J1’s defect as being an “internal non-conformity of both front seat backrests” and that “under certain operating conditions, the integrity of the seat frame structure may be compromised”.

Mr McIntosh clarified that ANCAP testing had uncovered an issue “concerning the design and integrity of the seats in the Chery J1”, leading Chery to voluntarily issue the recall.

ANCAP told GoAuto the J1 would not be re-tested, meaning its three-star rating will remain until at least the model’s next significant revision.

At the time of publication, Mr Cotterill had not been available to comment.

Chery J1 owners will be contacted by letter and advised to contact their dealer to arrange for the replacement of their front seat backrests. The procedure will involve the removal of both front seats and re-fitting using new mounting bolts.

As GoAuto reported at the time of the J1’s ANCAP test, the crash-testing organisation, which advises against purchasing cars with a crash test rating lower than four stars, expressed concern about the vehicle’s lack of electronic stability control – an issue Ateco said it will address.

A state law mandating ESC from January 1 this year has kept the J1 and its J11 SUV stablemate out of Victorian showrooms since launch.

In December 2009, Ateco – which pioneered Chinese vehicles on the Australian market – also recalled its V240 twin-cab ute after its ANCAP test revealed a potential seatbelt problem.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #319
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://www.caradvice.com.au/131486/r...-rating-ancap/

Quote:
Recall will not improve Chery J1 three-star safety rating: ANCAP
By Tim Beissmann | August 8th, 2011

The Australasian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP) has hit back at claims made by the distributors of the Chery J1 that a recall of the Chinese-made hatch would unofficially elevate its safety rating from three stars to four.

Last week, Ateco Automotive spokesman Daniel Cotterill told CarAdvice if the Chery J1 was crash tested again by ANCAP after the 702-vehicle recall to improve the integrity of the front seats, it would “almost certainly” achieve a four-star safety rating.

But ANCAP Chair, Lauchlan McIntosh, said these claims were simply not true.

“We were surprised to hear Ateco’s spokesman Daniel Cotterill comment in the media that the modifications would now see the Chery J1 almost certainly get a four-star rating if crash tested again,” Mr McIntosh said.

“These comments are clearly incorrect, as the modifications would not impact the overall crash test result, and the Ateco engineering staff should be aware of this.”

Mr McIntosh confirmed the voluntary recall was sparked by the J1’s concerning crash results during testing by ANCAP in April.

“We are disappointed at these comments, particularly given ANCAP works closely with the automotive industry to deliver safer vehicles for Australian motorists,” he said.

“The Chery J1 performed poorly in the crash tests – the passenger compartment lost structural integrity in the frontal impact test, providing limited protection from serious chest injury for the driver.”

The distinction between a three-star vehicle and a four-star vehicle is a very important one to ANCAP. The independent crash tester officially states it does not recommend purchasing vehicles with less than four stars.

Ateco Automotive’s Daniel Cotterill today reaffirmed its conviction that the car will be much safer following the recall repair.

“We are confident the J1 would be significantly improved by the modifications,” Mr Cotterill said.

He said tests conducted by an independent crash tester supported this belief.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #320
thedutchman92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watto_Cobra
Drown it..........

Quickly.................

Please.

OMFG :
It's bogged
thedutchman92 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #321
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Great Wall’s diesel V200 utes make showroom debut

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2578E9001AB2E8

Quote:
Chinese brand Great Wall starts diesel assault on ute market as first V200s arrive

11 August 2011

By HAITHAM RAZAGUI

BEING Australia’s cheapest one-tonne ute has helped earn Chinese brand Great Wall’s hitherto petrol-only V-series a 5.1 per cent share and mid-table position in the 4x2 light truck market in just two years, with sales up 125 per cent so far this year – in a segment that has shrunk 12.6 per cent.

As first deliveries of the dual-cab 4x2 diesel variant – badged V200 – trickle into dealers, Sydney-based Great Wall importer Ateco Automotive is expecting to make an even bigger – albeit delayed – impact on Australia’s diesel-dominated one-tonner market.

Ateco’s Chinese brands spokesman Daniel Cotterill said: “We’ve been waiting for these for some time. We’d hoped to have them on the market much earlier.”

Priced at $24,990 driveaway for the 4x2 and $27,990 for the 4x4, the 2.0-litre turbo-diesel V200 carries a $2000 premium over its petrol equivalents.

Peak power and torque outputs of 105kW and 310Nm mean the diesel engine is gruntier and more powerful than the 100kw/200Nm 2.4-litre petrol and its six-speed transmission gains a ratio over the petrol’s five-speed.

The V200’s combined fuel consumption is 8.3 litres per 100 kilometres, compared with 10.7L/100km for the V240 petrol.

Mr Cotterill said Great Wall dealers have each received “one or two” 4X2 V200s and that more – including 4x4 variants – are on the boat.

He said the single-cab diesel V200 will arrive “later still”, as will the X200 SUV – which will receive the same powerplant as the V200 but with the option of a five-speed automatic transmission. Again, buyers can expect to pay a similar $2000 premium for diesel, although no price for the self-shifter has yet been confirmed.

“We’d hoped to have them on the market much earlier, which is why we haven’t really made any fuss about it yet,” said Mr Cotterill.

“When we’ve got stock in place there will be a formal announcement, followed by a spec-sheet, followed by advertising.”

As GoAuto has reported, the Great Wall range received a MY2011 update in April which saw dual-cab utes and the X-series SUV receive new styling.

The SUV also scored more equipment including reversing camera, DVD player, Bluetooth connectivity and steering wheel audio controls. All MY2011 V-series utes had their towing capacity reduced from 2250kg to 2000kg.

Great Wall – Australia’s first Chinese vehicle brand – has sold 2667 utes year to date, an increase of 62.8 per cent, but SUV sales are flatlining at 1888. The brand’s overall YTD growth is a still-healthy 28.8 per cent in a market that has dipped 5.9 per cent so far.
Great Wall V-series dual-cab pricing:
2.4-litre petrol 4x2 $22,990
2.0-litre diesel 4x2 $24,990
2.4-litre petrol 4x4 $25,990
2.0-litre diesel 4x2 $27,990
Old 11-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #322
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Great Wall passenger car confirmed for Oz

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2578E90021253B

Quote:
Ateco confirms Great Wall’s first passenger car will be here within six months

11 August 2011

By HAITHAM RAZAGUI

CHINESE ute and SUV specialist Great Wall is branching out into passenger cars Down Under, the first of which will almost certainly be a five-door light hatchback known in China as the Voleex C10.

Great Wall importer Ateco’s Chinese brands spokesman Daniel Cotterill told GoAuto the small passenger car is “still on the agenda”.

“It just hasn’t proceeded quite as quickly as Great Wall or Ateco had hoped but it is still on the way,” he said.

Originally pencilled in for the fourth quarter of this year, it now looks like Great Wall hatch will arrive in Australian showrooms early in 2012.

“It could still be late this year, but it wouldn’t surprise me if late this year did become early next,” said Mr Cotterill.

As GoAuto has reported, the C10 is a five-door, five-seat hatchback offered in China with a choice of 1.3-litre 68kW/118Nm and 1.5-litre 77kW/138Nm four-cylinder petrol engines, each in a choice of two equipment levels, Luxury and Elite.

Unlike many Chinese light cars, the C10 comes with an automatic transmission alternative – a continuously variable transmission (CVT) – alongside the standard five-speed manual gearbox.

Standard equipment includes air-conditioning, four-wheel disc brakes with ABS, electric windows and central locking. To satisfy new federal rules effective from November this year, the cars must also come fitted with Electronic Stability Control (ESC) as standard.

“We had a left-hand drive version out here for a dealer function earlier this year just to give some illustration of what we’ve been telling people about,” said Mr Cotterill. “It was quite a nicely put-together little car.”

True to Ateco’s Chinese import policy, the C10 is likely to be offered in one high specification with just a choice of colour and perhaps a sunroof as an option.

The company already imports Chery-branded Chinese passenger cars for sale in Australia, although they are not yet sold in Victoria due to a lack of ESC.

The C10, also known in China as the Phenom, is sold with two distinct front-end styles, one that plunges below the numberplate Audi-style with bold diagonal chrome grilles, the other with a more conventional-looking face.

When GoAuto spoke with Ateco about the car in May, Mr Cotterill said the company was finalising some details, including the front-end fascia design.

Other potential future Great Wall passenger cars for Australia include the Corolla-sized C50, the brand’s first sedan. The C50 will be powered by a choice of two 1.5-litre four-cylinder engines – a turbo producing 98kW of power and 188Nm of torque or a naturally aspirated version with 77kW/138Nm.

According to its Chinese website, Great Wall plans to sell 12,000 vehicles in Australia this year, almost doubling its 2010 volume of 6690 units.

The new diesel-powered V200 ute and X200 SUV will have to hit the market soon and sell well if the brand is to achieve its aims, as so far it has missed the required 1000 average monthly sales rate by 350 units.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #323
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Combine the front end of this Great Wall vehicle:

with the rest of this vehicle (A pillars back):

What do you get?
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 06:44 PM   #324
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...907-1jwpf.html

Quote:
$14,990 for China's Corolla
Matt Campbell
September 7, 2011 - 10:54AM

Mazda3 and Toyota Corolla-sized J3 to be priced closer to city cars.

Chinese car maker Chery will soon be selling a Corolla-sized hatchback for just $14,990 driveaway.

As reported by Drive in April, the cut-price Chery small car is being brought to Australia to undercut mainstream competitors such as Toyota's Corolla, Mazda's 3, Mitsubishi's Lancer and Volkswagen's Golf by more than $5000, despite offering standard equipment such as leather seats and alloy wheels.

The J3 will also get anti-lock brakes and six airbags as standard, but unlike its rivals it will miss out on the soon-to-be-mandatory electronic stability control (which helps the car control a skid). The lack of stability control means the J3 - as with the J1 city car - cannot be sold in Victoria due to that state's stricter regulations.

The J3 will be available in a five-door hatch only, with a four-door sedan version some chance of appearing at a later date.

The J3 is powered by a 1.6-litre four-cylinder engine producing 87kW of power and 147Nm of torque. It comes awith a five-speed manual transmission and there's no automatic option.

Chery's aggressive pricing strategy will see the brand positioned as the cheapest manufacturer in three of Australia's boom segments: it has the J11 compact SUV at $17,990 driveaway, the J1 city car at $10,990 driveaway, and the J3 priced identically to Proton's Persona small sedan.

Despite its low prices, the brand has struggled for sales in its first few months. Chery sold just 169 vehicles in August, and has managed a meagre 1065 units so far this year - well short of its anticipated sales of 5000 units in 2011.

The brand's first year on sale in Australia has not been without its dramas: in August Chery's local distributor Ateco recalled more than 700 J1s over a crash-test-related seat fault.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #325
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://www.caradvice.com.au/136723/c...-in-australia/

Quote:
Chery J3 priced at $14,990 driveaway in Australia
By Tim Beissmann | September 7th, 2011

The Chery J3 will become the cheapest small car in Australia when it hits national showrooms in the coming months at $14,990 driveaway.

The Chinese-built Chery J3 (called the A3 in its domestic market) will initially only be available as a five-door hatch with a five-speed manual transmission. Premium features like alloy wheels and leather seats will come standard.

The safety package includes six airbags and ABS brakes, but like the Chery J1 and J11 already sold here, electronic stability control will not be available, even as an option.

This means the Chery J3 will not be available in Victoria (which mandated ESC for all passenger cars in January), and despite ESC becoming mandatory across the country from November 2011, we understand a ‘grace period’ allowance means it can be sold throughout the rest of the country until 2013.

The Chery J3 promises to be one of the more compact offerings in the small car segment, with a total length shorter than the popular Mazda3 and Toyota Corolla hatches.

The Chery J3 is powered by a 1.6-litre four-cylinder petrol engine with 87kW of power and 147Nm of torque.

Chery is yet to confirm fuel consumption figures, but we expect the J3 will fall in between the 1.3-litre J1 and the 2.0-litre J11 from a combined cycle perspective – meaning an average somewhere between 6.7 and 8.9 litres/100km.

At $14,990 driveaway, the Chery J3 is more than $5000 less expensive than the best-sellling cars in the small car segment: Mazda3, Holden Cruze, Corolla and i30.

From a price perspective, it will be competitive with the smallest and cheapest cars on the road, like the Nissan Micra, Holden Barina Spark, and the Proton range.

After the first eight months of this year, 1065 new Chery vehicles have been registered in Australia, including 761 J11 SUVs, 299 J1 hatches and five J3s.
Old 22-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #326
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...922-1kmjx.html

Quote:
Another Chinese car wreck
Barry Park
September 22, 2011 - 4:44PM

Chinese cars may impress on price, but still fall short on safety, the latest independent crash tests show.

Another Chinese car brand has earned a less-than-stellar crash rating after being tested earlier this week.

The Geely MK hatchback earned a three-star rating in the latest round of Australasian New Car Assessment Program crash tests. Geely cars are only available in Western Australia at the moment but a local distributor plans to set up dealerships on the east coast in the near future.

The three-star rating, out of a possible maximum five stars, places the $11,990 drive-away Geely alongside the similarly priced, Chinese-made Chery J1 in terms of crash safety, prompting a warning from the independent crash test authority.

‘‘These results show that, while we are seeing an increasing number of five-star vehicles in Australia, there are still new cars coming onto the market with considerably lower ratings which provide less crash protection for drivers and passengers,’’ ANCAP chairman Lauchlan McIntosh says.

‘‘While motorists have a wide range of models available at different pricing points – and at different safety levels irrespective of price – the ANCAP safety assessment is a vital and valuable aid in the selection of a new car.’’

The Geely currently comes equipped with dual front airbags and anti-lock brakes as standard. According to the crash report, steering column components were a potential source of injury for the driver's knees, while a seat slide mechanism released on one side, allowing the driver's seat to move forward.

Despite the poor rating, the Geely didn’t get the worst result in the latest round of crash tests.

That honour went to the India-made Mahindra Pik-Up, which received a two-star crash rating, making it the third-worst result for a car sold in Australia, slightly ahead of the one-star Mitsubishi Express van and the Proton Jumbuck ute.

According to the crash report, the Mahindra revealed a high risk of life-threatening head and neck injury in an offset test that replicates a vehicle turning in the path of an oncoming car - a common cause of crashes.

As with the Geely, the Mahindra has driver and passenger front airbags fitted as standard, and anti-lock brakes, but no stability control.

The test results reveal that the Mahindra’s passenger compartment lost structural integrity, and posed a high risk of serious head, leg and foot injury for the driver.

It says the airbag was still deploying when the driver’s head hit it, and the tailshaft moved sideways and dented the fuel tank.

The steering column was identified as a potential source of injury to the driver’s knees, while the dash was an injury risk to both the driver’s and passenger’s knees.

In other crash test results announced yesterdayAudi’s A6 mid-size sedan and the BMW X3 compact soft-roader both earned a top five-star rating, while the Citroen Berlingo and Renault

Kangoo light commercial vehicles each gained a four-star.

Nissan’s Micra city car car earned a four-star rating despite having six airbags and electronic stability control.

According to the test results, the Micra was marked down for its clutch pedal, which moved almost 20cm backwards and posed a ‘‘moderate risk of driver foot injury’’ in an offset test.

The test also flagged a concern for the driver’s airbag, which twisted the crash test dummy’s neck.

The Mitsubishi i-MiEV electric car also gained a four-star rating for when it goes on sale later this year with six airbags and stability control fitted as standard.

According to ANCAP, protection from serious chest and leg injury was marginal for the driver in the offset test, while the EV’s electrical system passed new regulatory safety checks after the crash.
Old 22-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #327
thedutchman92

I'd sooner perform dental surgery on a great white than buy a chinese car
thedutchman92 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #328
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Mahindra, Geely fail to impress in crash tests

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2579130083BFC9

Quote:
Mahindra Pik-Up, Geely MK receive poor ANCAP results as Nissan Micra makes only four

23 September 2011

By TERRY MARTIN

THE safety of motor vehicles from emerging markets has again come under scrutiny with the Indian-built Mahindra Pik-Up utility receiving a two-star rating, and the Chinese-built Geely MK light car achieving only three stars out of five, in the latest Australasian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP) results.

The independent crash-test authority has also handed down a four-star rating for the Nissan Micra, which falls short of five-star performers now commonly found across the light-car class, such as the newly released Holden Barina, Hyundai Accent, Honda Jazz, Suzuki Swift, Mazda2 and Ford Fiesta.

ANCAP chairman Lauchlan McIntosh this week repeated the call for new-car buyers to check ANCAP ratings before purchasing and to consider the fact that five-star-rated vehicles are now increasingly available.

“These results show that, while we are seeing an increasing number of five-star vehicles in Australia, there are still new cars coming onto the market with considerably lower ratings which provide less crash protection for drivers and passengers,” Mr McIntosh said.

“While motorists have a wide range of models available at different pricing points – and at different safety levels irrespective of price – the ANCAP safety assessment is a vital and valuable aid in the selection of a new car.”

The Hyundai i20 is the only Indian-built vehicle on the Australian market with a five-star ANCAP rating – Suzuki’s Alto, also from India, has achieved four stars – while the Pik-Up’s two-star rating is the same as when tested in 2008, despite an upgrade in 2009 which brought dual front airbags, front seatbelt pretensioners and standard fitment of ABS brakes.

There are no Chinese-built vehicles at five-star level, with the Chery J1 light car recently given a three-star rating and Great Wall’s V240 utility and X240 SUV earning two- and four-star results respectively.

Great Wall’s SA220 ute also scored a poor two stars before being discontinued last year, while Chery’s J11 SUV and the new J3 small car are still to be tested.

The Pik-Up’s overall score of 16.49 points (out of 37) is exactly the same as the previous model, despite the extra safety equipment now onboard.

ANCAP said there was a high risk of life-threatening head and neck injury in the frontal offset crash test – in which the Pik-Up scored a mere 2.39 out of a possible 16 points – after the passenger compartment lost structural integrity.

It also noted there was a high risk of serious head, leg and foot injury for the driver.

Among a number of worrying aspects of the vehicle’s performance in the test, the airbag was still deploying when the driver’s head contacted it, which increased the risk of serious head and neck injury.

The accelerator pedal also moved 298mm rearward by and 137mm upward, while the steering wheel hub moved 62mm rearward, 104mm upward and 18mm sideways.

In comparison, the five-star-rated Volkswagen Amarok utility’s accelerator pedal moved 44mm rearward and 19mm downward, while the steering wheel hub moved 56mm forward, 11mm downward and 3mm sideways.

The Pik-Up was awarded a default score of 16 out of 16 in the side impact crash test. The regulation test does not apply to vehicles with such high seating positions, and ANCAP assessors noted that this sort of vehicle typically performs well.

As GoAuto has reported, the Geely MK – which is currently unavailable with electronic stability control and sold only in Western Australia – was expected to be replaced by the end of this year with a new model fitted with the life-saving safety device.

The MK is, however, fitted with dual front airbags and ABS brakes with EBD. It scored 20.56 points out of 37 overall, after also performing well below par in the offset crash test in which it scored 8.46 out of 16.

ANCAP said the passenger compartment held its shape reasonably well, but there was a moderate risk of serious chest, leg and foot injury for the driver and chest injury for the passenger.

The car scored 12.10 out of 16 in the side impact crash test, with ANCAP noting a moderate risk of serious chest injury for the driver.

The Thai-built Micra’s four-star result also comes as a blow for Nissan Australia, which is relying on this model to achieve a large 10 per cent share in its segment as the company strives to become the top vehicle importer by March 2013.

Despite a high level of standard safety equipment – including front, side and head-protecting side curtain airbags, ESC and ABS with EBD – the Micra had some shortcomings in the offset crash test, in which it scored 12.79 out of 16.

ANCAP said the passenger compartment held its shape well – except for pedal movement (the clutch moved 173mm rearwards – but found a slight risk of serious chest injury for the driver and passenger and a moderate risk of driver foot injury.

The airbag cushioned the head of the driver and contact was stable, but there was some concern about twisting of the neck.

The Micra scored 15.32 out of 16 in the side impact crash test, with a slight risk of serious chest injury for the driver. The vehicle scored a further two points in the pole test.

ANCAP also this week confirmed five-star ratings based on European NCAP results for Audi’s A6 executive sedan and BMW’s X3 SUV, while four stars were meted out to the Citroen Berlingo and Renault Kangoo vans.

Old 28-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #329
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257919000EFE7E

Chery recalls 1664 J11 SUVs

Quote:
Ateco to replace front seat backrests of all Chery J11 SUVs in bid to improve safety

28 September 2011

By HAITHAM RAZAGUI

CHERY importer Ateco Automotive is recalling its Chinese-built J11 compact SUV to fit redesigned backrests on the front seats as it did in August with its J1 as a response to the light car's disappointing three-star ANCAP safety rating.

The recall affects all 1664 Chery J11s on the ground in Australia – including the 761 sold to the end of August.

A recall notice on the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) website says: “The side impact capabilities of the vehicle may not adequately protect the occupants in the event of an accident.”

It goes on to say that Australia’s most affordable SUV – effectively priced at just $17,990 drive away when a $2000 cashback offer is taken to account – may not “perform to the manufacturer's required specifications” in the event of a side impact.

Ateco’s Chinese brands spokesman Daniel Cotterill told GoAuto the voluntary recall of the J11 – which involves similar componentry to the J1 recall – was “Chery learning from issues they had with the J1”.

“In light of the J1 experience they decided to improve the J11,” he said.

“It’s no secret that nobody was happy with the J1 and they moved to rectify that but it clearly also motivated them to look at other vehicles in their fleet and see what they could do there.”

GoAuto understands ANCAP has recently tested the J11 and spokesman Allan Yates confirmed the results will be published “within a few weeks”.

Mr Cotterill said J11 owners will be notified by mail, inviting them to make an appointment with their nearest Chery dealer to get the work done at a convenient time and that parts to carry out the recall work are ready to go.

“We have seats here because you really need to have parts available before you announce a recall but we’ve clearly been moving quickly to get this sorted out.

“With the J1 the first several batches of parts were air-freighted out and then we moved to sea freight soon after that to ensure availability.”

As GoAuto reported in August, Ateco recalled the J1 – which priced at just $10,990 drive-away is Australia’s cheapest car – to replace the front-seat backrests in response to its three-star ANCAP crash test rating.

In July Ateco carried out its own tests of the J1 at the Autoliv crash test centre in Melbourne, claiming the replacement seat components were proved to perform “substantially better”.

However a comment by Mr Cotterill that the J1 could potentially achieve a four star rating if re-tested incurred the wrath of ANCAP, with chairman Lauchlan McIntosh issuing a statement saying: “The modifications would not impact the overall crash test result, and the Ateco engineering staff should be aware of this.

“The Chery J1 performed poorly in the crash tests – the passenger compartment lost structural integrity in the frontal impact test, providing limited protection from serious chest injury for the driver.

“We are disappointed at (Chery’s) comments, particularly given ANCAP works closely with the automotive industry to deliver safer vehicles for Australian motorists.”

ANCAP told GoAuto the J1 would not be re-tested, meaning its three-star rating will remain until at least the model’s next significant revision.

Mr Cotterill said that after Ateco’s test of a J1 following the fitment of new backrests, various technical people from Ateco and the Autoliv crash lab commented that it was a pity that the modification had not been done before the ANCAP test “because it probably would have got four stars”.
Old 24-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #330
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://www.caradvice.com.au/148279/c...p-crash-tests/

Quote:
Chinese cars improve in latest NCAP crash tests
By Jez Spinks | November 24th, 2011

Chinese cars have performed better in the latest round of testing by independent body Euro NCAP, with the MG6 and Geely Emgrand EC7 both scoring four out of five stars.

The results follow a series of poor crash-test performances by Chinese-built vehicles that are also available in Australia.

The Chery J11, Australia’s most affordable SUV, this year joined the Great Wall Motors V240 and SA220 dual-cab utes in achieving only two stars.

Chery’s J1, the cheapest vehcile on sale in Australia at $10,990 driveaway after a $1000 cash-back offer, fares only slightly better with a three-star rating.

Great Wall Motors’ X240 ute-based SUV has been one of the better performers, achieving four stars.

The MG6, a new hatchback (pictured above) from the British MG brand now owned by Chinese car maker Shanghai Automotive, achieved a 73 per cent score for adult occupancy protection and 71 per cent for child protection.

Geely’s Emgrand EC7 sedan (below) scored 75 per cent and 80 per cent for the respective protection areas, including maximum points for the side impact test.

The EC7 lost points for poor protection of the driver’s feet and ankles in a front-on crash.

NCAP penalised the MG6, which is sold in the UK, for a number of issues, including marginal protection for the driver’s chest in a side impact and insufficient pressure from the inflated driver’s airbag to prevent the head from hitting the steering wheel.

NCAP, however, said the four-star ratings were “creditable results that underline the [Chinese] manufacturers’ desire to improve the safety record of Chinese brands in Europe.

“These results mark a milestone for the Chinese automotive industry,” said Euro NCAP’s secretary general, Michiel van Ratingen. “It is a clear sign that Chinese car makers are building on recent experiences and rapidly investing in better vehicle safety. Even with the upcoming increased demands [from NCAP testing], five stars are expected to be within reach soon.”

Some high-profile British, US and European vehicles – the Jaguar XF, Jeep Grand Cherokee and Fiat Panda – also failed to achieve the top five-star rating.