Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-10-2021, 12:12 PM   #3691
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: What made you feel good today?

Another construction site next to me, they dug the deepest I’ve seen on this block. Now they’ve got a civil works size digger - Sumitomo SH-350 pushing dirt around. This thing is close to the size of a house by itself.

Somehow I can just picture MITCHAY holding a beer and looking across all this, going “**** me, that’s huge!”
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-10-2021, 05:55 PM   #3692
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Little things that make your day........
The apple danish I bought for lunch yesterday wasn't so crispy and flaky as beechworth Bakeries usual standards.
This morning I mentioned it in passing while ordering todays lunch treat
(an Apple turnover) the woman serving thanked me for telling her.
She then takes the Danish price and the Turnover price of my order. I said I just mentioned it cause I thought they might want to know and didn't want money off as I did eat it.
She said no we appreciate your input. Embarassed, I put the difference in Yackandandah's fire brigade bucket on the counter.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2021, 07:47 PM   #3693
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I now eat every second day. Whole foods (not organic or pasture-raised) cooked by myself with no processed crap...this will be short-term.

This is how my Great great great great great great grandfather ate to get me here.

He didn't have diabetes, need meds, no gut, no Dementia. No flu shot or covid jab.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2021, 09:30 PM   #3694
.:4:.
Kicking back

So rego ,tick, my car wasnt dirty just dusty. I never take it for a rego inspection squeeky clean with an engine bay stinking of degreaser. The mechanics i trust are brutally honest but in the same sense very good at what they do. So they passed the steed as i was pretty sure it was apples, they had the same opinion. If i thought the car had an issue id take it to the place down the road, drop two $50's on the counter and say do the same with the brake tester.
Anyhow, dusty but not dirty, spider webs. Around the boot and both mirrors. Not so much an issue exept the one on my drivers side mirror was a bit more wooley. Last time i saw a web like that was in my boat and it was an angry redback. So i gave the car a present, a run throught the contactless carwash. Hopefully the spiders decide its a **** place to live. I also filled the tank. It had a bit over half, but its been 6 or 9 weeks since i last filled it.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-10-2021, 09:57 PM   #3695
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
I now eat every second day. Whole foods (not organic or pasture-raised) cooked by myself with no processed crap...this will be short-term.

This is how my Great great great great great great grandfather ate to get me here.

He didn't have diabetes, need meds, no gut, no Dementia. No flu shot or covid jab.

But died of the Plague in 1657 at the ripe old age of 29 regardless?
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2021, 10:15 AM   #3696
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post

He may not have had any of those things and even if he had there would have been no treatment and the average life expectancy was 40 for men.

But hey, knock yourself out.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2021, 10:38 AM   #3697
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Another construction site next to me, they dug the deepest I’ve seen on this block. Now they’ve got a civil works size digger - Sumitomo SH-350 pushing dirt around. This thing is close to the size of a house by itself.

Somehow I can just picture MITCHAY holding a beer and looking across all this, going “**** me, that’s huge!”
It's only a 35 tonner CB, the block must be quite small, to make the machine look so big, but it moves dirt quickly!
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2021, 10:47 AM   #3698
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
It's only a 35 tonner CB, the block must be quite small, to make the machine look so big, but it moves dirt quickly!
Most domestic work here uses 5-7 tonners, with a baby digger to do the detail.

This thing has a large bucket, 1200? and the dirt is flying into the tippers. They’re down to grey-white plastic clay, which can go for metres - suspect piering is next.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:54 AM   #3699
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Most domestic work here uses 5-7 tonners, with a baby digger to do the detail.

This thing has a large bucket, 1200? and the dirt is flying into the tippers. They’re down to grey-white plastic clay, which can go for metres - suspect piering is next.
The bucket is 1.4 cm, I repaired the walking gear on an older 35 tonner my el cheapo Maltese boss bought, I was in a paddock, it would not fit in the shed, the rear drive sprockets were smooth, lol, but it had good hydraulic pump, that's the main expense on them, it was a nightmare of a job, watching for snakes and working, fires too, it was just outside of Penrith!
But a good operator makes the cost to hire worthwhile!
Old 07-10-2021, 01:08 PM   #3700
slowsnake
Banned

Am watching Jack Miller in 5th place on his factory Ducati trying to get on the podium at The Circuit of the America's in Texas, 5 laps to go!

Laguna Seca is a better track by miles, but this will do.....
Old 07-10-2021, 01:50 PM   #3701
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

My ASUS G55V which I purchase in 2013 is being retired today as I have purchased an ASUS G513 Advantage Edition. Full AMD system!

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2021, 02:09 PM   #3702
.:4:.
Kicking back

Well, 1st, its a lovely warm day, not a cloud in the sky. Secondly, the spiders living in the side mirrors of my car finally vacated. Or atleast i think they have. Normally if i just wiped away the webs, within an hour theyd be reconstructing. So 24 hours after the high preassure blasts from the contactless carwash, no webs. I have no issues with huntsmens or daddy long legs etc. Theyre harmless, all they do is eat flys. However going off prior experience the one residing in my drivers side mirror, and i cannot 100% confirm, appeared to be a redback. Thats a big no for me. But, it seems to have vacated.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2021, 02:58 PM   #3703
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Well, 1st, its a lovely warm day, not a cloud in the sky. Secondly, the spiders living in the side mirrors of my car finally vacated. Or atleast i think they have. Normally if i just wiped away the webs, within an hour theyd be reconstructing. So 24 hours after the high preassure blasts from the contactless carwash, no webs. I have no issues with huntsmens or daddy long legs etc. Theyre harmless, all they do is eat flys. However going off prior experience the one residing in my drivers side mirror, and i cannot 100% confirm, appeared to be a redback. Thats a big no for me. But, it seems to have vacated.

if he/she/it returns have ready
1 plastic bag big enough to cover mirror completely,
1 ziptie
1 can quality bug spray.

liberally spray behind mirror glass, quickly cover with plastic bag, ziptie tight, dont go driving for few hours, but the little ****e will not bother you again.
Old 07-10-2021, 06:09 PM   #3704
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Just finished applying cyanoacrylate to my Alfa’s HVAC panel rear.

The dials get their “notchy” feel from little sprung plungers which ride on ribs of the dial’s back edge. The plunger springs are too strong, the panel too weak and it all falls apart at the back. So I clean everything and shorten the springs to reduce tension, then reassemble in stages with super glue.

It’s such a rubbish design it should have been on a Territory ICC - then again, it uses ‘00s electronics, not eighties… Once this is reassembled, I can find out if the phantom unlocking was spilled coffee “glue” inside the panel or a faulty door actuator.
Old 07-10-2021, 06:11 PM   #3705
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Getting this thing back in one piece,long story short had an incident with front bar insurance company ****ed about then finally found someone to fix it then whilst away we went back into lockdown etc etc got it back Tuesday but weather was rubbish,cracker day today so got home from work and had a wee outing,front bar all fixed n painted,got them to spray out bonnet whilst at it.So very glad to have it back.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:05 PM   #3706
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The dials get their “notchy” feel from little sprung plungers which ride on ribs of the dial’s back edge. The plunger springs are too strong, the panel too weak and it all falls apart at the back. So I clean everything and shorten the springs to reduce tension, then reassemble in stages with super glue.

It’s such a rubbish design it should have been on a Territory ICC - then again, it uses ‘00s electronics, not eighties… Once this is reassembled, I can find out if the phantom unlocking was spilled coffee “glue” inside the panel or a faulty door actuator.
I have no clue what you said, I'm pretty illiterate when it gets too technical.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:09 PM   #3707
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cutting out a rusty piece on the inner front guard and welding in a new bit.
It was hiding under the washer bottle, didn't know it was there until I took out the bottle.
Done now, one more bit finished on the old girl.
5 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2021, 10:05 PM   #3708
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Given it is an Alfa panel - superglue - what were you thinking.

Should have been twin pack epoxy araldite at least

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2021, 10:07 PM   #3709
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Superglue allows it to work correctly until the next, inconvenient, failure.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:17 AM   #3710
slowsnake
Banned

Ch 24 ABC news, Australian Socceroos beat Oman 3 - 1, in world cup qualifier, good news!
Old 08-10-2021, 09:23 AM   #3711
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Given it is an Alfa panel - superglue - what were you thinking.

Should have been twin pack epoxy araldite at least
With 24 carat gold leaf printing on it, and a fine velvet lined box made from the rarest wood in the world, studded with perfect pink Argyle diamonds!

Well, it is an Alpha after all!...lol....
Old 08-10-2021, 09:27 AM   #3712
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Cutting out a rusty piece on the inner front guard and welding in a new bit.
It was hiding under the washer bottle, didn't know it was there until I took out the bottle.
Done now, one more bit finished on the old girl.
Hey jaydee do you use an anti rust treatment in the boxed sections before you weld your patch in?
Old 08-10-2021, 09:48 AM   #3713
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Hearing that my daughter's friend's aunt, Chloe McCardel, has just equalled the record for the most number of swum crossings of the English Channel. That's now 43 times she has swum the Channel. She'll be aiming for the outright record on Sunday.

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.co...nnel-crossing/

Well done Chloe!

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor

Last edited by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0; 08-10-2021 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Oops, wrong link.
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2021, 09:56 AM   #3714
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Hearing that my daughter's friend's aunt, Chloe McCardel, has just equalled the record for the most number of swum crossings of the English Channel. That's now 43 times she has swum the Channel. She'll be aiming for the outright record on Sunday.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-...eath/100521852

Well done Chloe!
Just watched that on the news, good stuff eh!
Old 08-10-2021, 10:25 AM   #3715
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Hey jaydee do you use an anti rust treatment in the boxed sections before you weld your patch in?
Yes, got some wax cavity spray, just hope it works, but I'll be long gone by the time it rusts out again.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:34 AM   #3716
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Yes, got some wax cavity spray, just hope it works, but I'll be long gone by the time it rusts out again.
Not heard of that, will look it up, my first big rust job in the early 70's was the sills on my 1962 Ek Holden Panel Van, I bought this "guaranteed to last forever" zinc chromate plus "fish oil"....lol, I only did it once, it was more fish oil than paint and I did everything including doors and tailgate, couldn't pick a girl up for the next 6 months, and the cats loved it, everywhere I parked it attracted the local cats, no bull****.....only once jaydee...lol.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:44 AM   #3717
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haha, yes, did the same with my HD Holden, fisholene everywhere, stunk for ages.
Have used it on my XC in parts, but in sealed cavitys this wax is supposed to be better.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:55 AM   #3718
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

It absolutely is better. Creeps more, self-heals, loses odour quickly, fast to apply.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:00 AM   #3719
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Haha, yes, did the same with my HD Holden, fisholene everywhere, stunk for ages.
Have used it on my XC in parts, but in sealed cavitys this wax is supposed to be better.
Yes mate I remember now, it was called Fisholene, and it was true what it said on the can, "you only use it once"......they dident tell you it was because of the smell not its ability to stop rust!.....lol, too funny thinking back now!
Old 08-10-2021, 12:20 PM   #3720
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Try spraying cavity with Brunox before cavity wax its rust killing epoxy which is thin, it wicks into hard to reach spots.
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: