Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-05-2022, 07:17 PM   #1
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What made you feel good today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
jaydees post.
Your brother has a good brother.
This..
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2022, 06:10 PM   #2
.:4:.
Kicking back

Renewed my ewp licence today. So its only an 11m not high risk. Just an online course thing. Yeah, i dont really need it these days, but eh, for $50 for another 5 years might aswell keep it.
So the quiz's are 100% pass rate. 3 attempts but anyhow.
Started to read the material for the 1st quiz. It made me feel stupider then before i started. Long story short, skim read all the topic material, aced the tests. To get an ewp ticket you need to do the physical course. Thats not hard. Operate the equiptment and then do a written test. Its basic as. The renewel is online. If you cannot pass that then, i dunno. But eh, 15 minutes of my day.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2022, 08:02 PM   #3
Kicking back

So with the ewp licence thing, the only reason i have one is because at my last job i bought it up to my employer as we used them frequently but nobody was licenced.
So yeah, thats how i got my licence done.
Texted my mate, my old manager, today to ask if he got the renewel email. He did the same course on the same day. His first response was no. 5 minutes later, it was a yes, but it was in his junk mail. So my response was do it on your works time, and if you cannot pass it you're retarded. He's a good mate, so mates are allowed to call each other retards or spazz's or other derogatory terms.
For both my mate and myself, we dont need ewp licences anymore. But, might aswell, whats another card in the wallet?
This user likes this post:
Old 02-05-2022, 01:56 PM   #4
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Whats making me feel good today ?
Saturday my eldest son got married to a beautiful person who had become a daughter in law long before this and I'm still on a high.
Sydney had been having such unpredicable weather and being a outdoor wedding it was raining in the morn but clearing mid arvo.
Service was 3pm, just as she was walking down through the garden aisle the sun broke through !
You couldn't have asked for more perfect timing !!!!!
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 02-05-2022, 02:47 PM   #5
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Whats making me feel good today ?
Saturday my eldest son got married to a beautiful person who had become a daughter in law long before this and I'm still on a high.
Sydney had been having such unpredicable weather and being a outdoor wedding it was raining in the morn but clearing mid arvo.
Service was 3pm, just as she was walking down through the garden aisle the sun broke through !
You couldn't have asked for more perfect timing !!!!!
Reminds me of something that happened once when I worked in Defence and we were on an adventure training exercise with our business unit.

Our unit was made up of both serving military staff and civilian public servants, so the exercises were generally not as 'out there' as if it was a military only group.

This particular exercise included a lot of team building activities, one of which was a high ropes course, which culminated in the 'leap of faith' where the participant climbed a very high small pole, about 400mm in diameter and 40ft high. The pole had cuts in the side to allow the participant to climb it. At the top of the pole was a platform to stand on, again about 400mm on each side. Just enough room to put your feet firmly on. At a reasonable distance (maybe about 8 feet?) from the platform was a swing (like you see with a trapeze artist). The idea was that you needed to climb the pole, somehow work out how to get yourself onto the platform, without any stabilising aids (ie nothing to hold on to) and then jump to catch the swing. Once you'd done that, you let go of the swing and you were lowered to the ground via the harness.

One of the participants was a public servant from our finance department. He must have been in his 50s at that stage. He was very much afraid of heights, so was very reluctant to even give it a go, but with a lot of encouragement from the rest of the group, he wrestled up the courage to have a go.

As you could imagine, someone with that amount of fear of heights took a long time to make his way to the top, but eventually did, even finding a way to be able to get onto the platform.

Standing on top of that pole, he was shaking so much that the pole was violently swaying from side to side. I've never seen anyone so scared in all my life. As you could imagine, it took a long time to coax him to even contemplate jumping off that platform into thin air, hoping like all buggery that he caught the swing.

He was also a very religious man. The day had been overcast all day and remained so for the rest of the day, too. But just as he stood at the top of the platform, the sky partially cleared around this chap standing at the top of the pole, bathing him in a bright light. It honestly looked like he had a halo around him. We were even fortunate enough that the activity photographer happened to take a pic of him right at that point.

He never did work up the courage to make that jump. And he had to climb back down the pole as he could not handle being lowered in his harness. But what he achieved that day was truly inspirational and something I will never forget. The resilience he showed was inspiring to everyone that saw him that day, including the instructors who had seen many people have a go at this exercise.

RIP Michael.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-05-2022, 03:35 PM   #6
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Reminds me of something that happened once when I worked in Defence and we were on an adventure training exercise with our business unit.

Our unit was made up of both serving military staff and civilian public servants, so the exercises were generally not as 'out there' as if it was a military only group.

This particular exercise included a lot of team building activities, one of which was a high ropes course, which culminated in the 'leap of faith' where the participant climbed a very high small pole, about 400mm in diameter and 40ft high. The pole had cuts in the side to allow the participant to climb it. At the top of the pole was a platform to stand on, again about 400mm on each side. Just enough room to put your feet firmly on. At a reasonable distance (maybe about 8 feet?) from the platform was a swing (like you see with a trapeze artist). The idea was that you needed to climb the pole, somehow work out how to get yourself onto the platform, without any stabilising aids (ie nothing to hold on to) and then jump to catch the swing. Once you'd done that, you let go of the swing and you were lowered to the ground via the harness.

One of the participants was a public servant from our finance department. He must have been in his 50s at that stage. He was very much afraid of heights, so was very reluctant to even give it a go, but with a lot of encouragement from the rest of the group, he wrestled up the courage to have a go.

As you could imagine, someone with that amount of fear of heights took a long time to make his way to the top, but eventually did, even finding a way to be able to get onto the platform.

Standing on top of that pole, he was shaking so much that the pole was violently swaying from side to side. I've never seen anyone so scared in all my life. As you could imagine, it took a long time to coax him to even contemplate jumping off that platform into thin air, hoping like all buggery that he caught the swing.

He was also a very religious man. The day had been overcast all day and remained so for the rest of the day, too. But just as he stood at the top of the platform, the sky partially cleared around this chap standing at the top of the pole, bathing him in a bright light. It honestly looked like he had a halo around him. We were even fortunate enough that the activity photographer happened to take a pic of him right at that point.

He never did work up the courage to make that jump. And he had to climb back down the pole as he could not handle being lowered in his harness. But what he achieved that day was truly inspirational and something I will never forget. The resilience he showed was inspiring to everyone that saw him that day, including the instructors who had seen many people have a go at this exercise.

RIP Michael.
Ahhhhhh, that reminds me of school camp in year 8. There was a high ropes course. Clearly not as high and more basic. Anyhow, 1 kid froze after the 1st climb. Took 3 of the staff to get him down.
We were savages back then, that bloke earned the nickname ropes. In passing everyone would say hi ropes. It was a constant reminder....
Old 07-05-2022, 06:56 PM   #7
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post

RIP Michael.
Great story... but the RIP at the end is alarming!
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2022, 08:54 PM   #8
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I have a customer who comes in every few months with his wife and mother. They live a couple of hours away and from what I can gather, he comes to town to visit his mum, then come out to have wander around the garden center.

After the first few visits spread over about a year, he asked me quietly after greeting them if the white Ranger in the carpark was mine, to which I grinned and nodded. He said he thought so and that I kept it so nice. That of course started a bit chat about Fords.

As the encounters went on, I got to learn he was an old school Ford mechanic, having driven and worked on the all over the years. The EB XR8 is red, the FG-X being Kinetic blue. He traded a FG MK II FPV GS ute for the FG-X and has owned a variety of other desirable models too. His eyes lit up when I mentioned I had owned a T3 TS50 and went on to say he services a T2 regularly.

So while I was supposed to be "working", I spent 15 minutes chatting about cool Fords. If anyone askes, I was building a "customer relationship" ok.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2022, 09:28 PM   #9
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I have a customer who comes in every few months with his wife and mother. They live a couple of hours away and from what I can gather, he comes to town to visit his mum, then come out to have wander around the garden center.

After the first few visits spread over about a year, he asked me quietly after greeting them if the white Ranger in the carpark was mine, to which I grinned and nodded. He said he thought so and that I kept it so nice. That of course started a bit chat about Fords.

As the encounters went on, I got to learn he was an old school Ford mechanic, having driven and worked on the all over the years. The EB XR8 is red, the FG-X being Kinetic blue. He traded a FG MK II FPV GS ute for the FG-X and has owned a variety of other desirable models too. His eyes lit up when I mentioned I had owned a T3 TS50 and went on to say he services a T2 regularly.

So while I was supposed to be "working", I spent 15 minutes chatting about cool Fords. If anyone askes, I was building a "customer relationship" ok.
Sounds great, you didn't happen to attain whether he still does the odd job on Ford's for customer's at all did you ?.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2022, 02:15 PM   #10
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Feet up in the mancave not working on ****box cars !
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2022, 11:41 PM   #11
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was getting my groceries as I usually do and some UAP candidate came at me forcing a flyer in my face. It made me feel good when I put that rubbish in the bin where it belongs
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2022, 08:38 AM   #12
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Auckland this morning...

5 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2022, 09:40 AM   #13
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I prefer the close up one.
Remember as a young one telling north islanders, any more crap and we will cut the power cables and yous guys will float away on your own smog blanket.
Old 07-05-2022, 12:12 PM   #14
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haha Tonz not smog but early morning mist, super clear autumn day here.
Old 07-05-2022, 06:24 PM   #15
Kicking back

So i do speak to my kid everyday, but i havent seen him in person for ages. Anyhow, went for arfternoon tea with him this arvo. He's 12, but man alive. He's 5"10'. Im 35 and not entirely short at 6"2', but he is going to be a giant.
I did have a few things to give to him. But one joke item, ill get to that in a sec. I always ask him if he has a girlfriend yet? He is in year 7, he knows im joking sort of. Yep, i bought him a can that will guarentee he will be holding hands with other girls in year 7. Linx africa.
Old 08-05-2022, 04:13 PM   #16
Kicking back

Simply being able to hear properly again. A week and a half ago i perforated my left ear drum again. So only having 1 ear to hear from, it left me a bit lop sided and the main thing that annoys me is simply having to ask people to repeat themselves because i cannot hear them.
Woke up this morning with ear goober on my pillow, but i could hear in sterio again.
The only good thing after you tell someone your hard of hearing is they dont know that you are intentionally ignoring them.
3 users like this post:
Old 10-05-2022, 01:07 PM   #17
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8
Great story... but the RIP at the end is alarming!
Yeah, soz, I probably didn't word that as well as I could/should have. Fear not, he didn't pass away that week away. It would have been a couple of years later. Although, perhaps the fear he suffered that day had some impact on his life longevity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Simply being able to hear properly again. A week and a half ago i perforated my left ear drum again. So only having 1 ear to hear from, it left me a bit lop sided and the main thing that annoys me is simply having to ask people to repeat themselves because i cannot hear them.
Woke up this morning with ear goober on my pillow, but i could hear in sterio again.
The only good thing after you tell someone your hard of hearing is they dont know that you are intentionally ignoring them.
I wish! I'm like that permanently. I could handle the lack of responsiveness in one ear if I could just get over the dizziness I suffer permanently. Walking into door frames, or furniture, all the time. Falling over/losing my balance pretty regularly, too. Very frustrating. The dizziness was supposed to clear up after 12 months, but it hasn't gone away. And that was after doing some physio exercises, too.

You also get used to asking people to repeat themselves, especially with the screens introduced due to covid in a lot of public access places. Masks don't help either, as I have adapted to reading people's lips pretty well.

But, yes, there are some advantages; I get to choose as to what I 'hear'

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2022, 12:10 PM   #18
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What did you say?
Old 11-05-2022, 03:31 PM   #19
Kicking back

That.
So i rate asahi as a very good beer. The ones we get over here are brewed in china under licence, still good in my opinion. But ive had better travelled people tell me they do not hold a candle to the japanese ones. Never had those. Ive had the uk brewed asahis that were private imports, they were very good. That flagon or jug, i guess thats what your call it, its a private jap import. Id love to drink it. The import sticker on it is in english as per regs, its 2L and product of japan. But im giving it to my brother who is gluten intollerant so cant drink it anyways to take to a work event or something like that. The aluminium bottle is cool in itself.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2022, 06:11 PM   #20
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2 more Sydneysiders removed from the gene pool.
Old 11-05-2022, 06:15 PM   #21
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
Who cares, if your reffering to what im thinking, they chose the wrong path.
3 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2022, 10:42 AM   #22
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

A local political candidate of the “fat bloke from Queensland party” has deliberately had his signs hung from some trees near me. The unthinking irony of it.

…for the crows to pluck, for the rain to gather, for the wind to suck
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2022, 11:16 AM   #23
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
No loss with these dregs of society!
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2022, 05:45 PM   #24
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Close to wrapping up the immediate stages of what started as a cam belt change in early January and became a sorry tale of rain, more rain, still more rain, electrical faults, postal delays, cracked breather hoses and near-inextricable leaky coolant pipes.

The spiders will soon get to experience life at 110km/h.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2022, 07:07 PM   #25
Kicking back

I got around to something on my eventually list. So i have two lists, the to do list which is more stuff you have to do immediately, and the eventually list which is more or less the too hard basket. The fix i did today that was on the eventually list. Its been an issue for the past decade. No joke, it took 5 minutes to fix.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2022, 09:52 PM   #26
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gee if that was on your eventually list and took 5 minutes, you should be able to bowl over the immediate list in the same time.
Old 20-05-2022, 01:35 PM   #27
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Gee if that was on your eventually list and took 5 minutes, you should be able to bowl over the immediate list in the same time.
Well, it was on the eventually list because when i used to work 6 days a week i just temped it up, stopped the leak, but not a proper fix.
So what it was, was a slow leak for the hot water connection in my laundry for a washing machine. My washing is cold water only as it has an internal heater in it.
The temp 'fix' was a zip lock bag over the outlet and cable ties. The real fix was simply changing the washer in the remote mounted tap. So as the thing didnt leak with a bag cable tied over it and that outlet was never used, it wasnt a high priority. But its done properly now.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-05-2022, 04:58 PM   #28
Kicking back

So i have 1 plant that has grown a rather large appendage. Its a yucca, 1 of many in my garden beds, but said appendage is now around 6 foot tall and laying over a bit. So plan was tie it to the fence to keep it upright.
I think the saying goes no good deed goes unpunished.
Long story short, about a year ago i lent ropes and equipment to the lady in the house behind when she had someone over to lop her big tree.
Today, she sticks her head out and after asking what i was doing, asks why dont i just put a star picket in?
Answer is i dont have one. No reason i couldnt go out and get one, but she had a spare in her shed. I said more then enough times are you sure? So yeah, belted said star picket in with my lump hammer, couple bits of rope, and the long appendage on my plant is now properly errect.
Old 20-05-2022, 05:30 PM   #29
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Your said appendage is now erect! (sometimes I can't help myself)
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2022, 05:58 PM   #30
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Your said appendage is now erect! (sometimes I can't help myself)
Yep, sorry mate, gardening related.
My bed I call my work bench, my bedroom, well.. that's the cockpit.