Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-10-2010, 12:29 AM   #391
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I have never heard one. I always saw the AAE 727 at perth airport, but I know our government has banned them due to noise violation or some crap. If people want to build their houses near the airport then deal with it. We used to live on a flight path into Perth. I loved lying there on a stormy night and hearing those 747's coming in as low as they could, engines constantly being throttled up and down. We were about 15km as the crow flies, maybe not even that (it took us 20-25mins to get there by car) and damn did they come low some nights.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2010, 12:39 AM   #392
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I had my way I'd build near the runway centreline and the house would have a glass roof just for spotting. The missus said over my dead body.
Old 22-10-2010, 09:59 AM   #393
74_XB_Ute
See..Everybody Loves Ford

We used to live pretty close to the flight path in Perth. I used to like watching DC-10's and 747's on sun set peeling out towards the ocean after take-off. Fantastic sight.
74_XB_Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #394
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Nice collection ED, the JT8D's in the 727 are fantastic, whilst holding short of any runway a departing 727 can be felt through the airframe.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #395
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #396
74_XB_Ute

Old 23-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #397
Spudz27
Call me Spud

can you figure out what this model will be? not airline just aircraft. I am currently building it.

Old 24-10-2010, 12:32 AM   #398
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

A320?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #399
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

RTV Power
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 24-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #400
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
A320?

Correct. Will be an Ansett. I used putty so that when it is all painted you will not see the join where the 2 halves of the body meet, however I had not done it before and made an error, now I have sought of fixed it, but I sanded off the top antenna's whilst fixing it, however you will see there is no longer a seam where it joins.

Old 24-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #401
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yesterday I did an hours flight at the Flight Experience Simulator in a 737.

To be honest I thought it was going "more fun" but to me it was an hour of pure stress!

I did it to clear my mind of what im going through at the moment but it just added to my stress levels! I had to have a stiff drink when I got home.

The pilot treats it like the real deal and got a bit angry when I dipped the nose too much as I was flying over hong kong.

I did not realise how tricky it is to fly these things! I had an idea but woa you gotta have 4 arms and 6 eyes to do it right!.

It was enjoyable but I think I need to do it 4 or more times so you know what your doing to have some real fun.

Remote control sail boating sounds more like my style.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 01:19 PM   #402
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74_XB_Ute
What are we looking at there mate? Cannon testing or something like that?

Oo\===/oO
Old 24-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #403
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordOwner

To be honest I thought it was going "more fun" but to me it was an hour of pure stress!

I did it to clear my mind of what im going through at the moment but it just added to my stress levels! I had to have a stiff drink when I got home.

The pilot treats it like the real deal and got a bit angry when I dipped the nose too much as I was flying over hong kong.

I did not realise how tricky it is to fly these things! I had an idea but woa you gotta have 4 arms and 6 eyes to do it right!.

It was enjoyable but I think I need to do it 4 or more times so you know what your doing to have some real fun.

I envy you, it is something I want to do next time in Perth. I reckon it would be the greatest fun ever.
Old 25-10-2010, 12:57 AM   #404
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

RTV Power
Old 25-10-2010, 01:24 AM   #405
Spudz27
Call me Spud

The Vulcan is beautiful. I love the look of them. Only the SR-71 looks better.
Old 25-10-2010, 01:43 AM   #406
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I did it back in February and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd love to do it in a real 744 simulator to get the true 3 dimensional experience.

Flight Experience is a whole lot better than MS flightsim.
Old 25-10-2010, 07:06 AM   #407
74_XB_Ute

Quote:
What are we looking at there mate? Cannon testing or something like that?
Correct....I'm pretty sure it's the only ground hot boresight done on an Aussie Classic Hornet.
Old 25-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #408
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

post 396, 2nd pic, the ordanance on the ground, how much of that can be carried on that aircraft /jetty type thingo , surely not all of that?(great pics by the way)
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #409
Tavers

Quote:

That's a shame as it's not cheap. I've been fortunate enough to spend some time in the sims before they're sold/installed to the franchies - pretty darn cool. Not too much fun coming back to a joystick and computer screen after flying around in them.
Tavers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #410
74_XB_Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
post 396, 2nd pic, the ordanance on the ground, how much of that can be carried on that aircraft /jetty type thingo , surely not all of that?(great pics by the way)
mik...this is just a display of the various types of ordnance that can be carried by the Classic Hornet. By no means can it carry all the ordnance shown. The ordnance carried would depend on the mission/sortie the jet would be carrying out...ie... air to air ordnance, air to ground ordnance....

Still doesn't compare to the payload of an F-111 tho!!

Full load of Mk-82LD 500lb bombs...48 in total
Old 25-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #411
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Awesome shot.

The F111 can hold up to four times as much ordinance as the equivalent F4 Phantom.

Impressive - especially if you plan on flattening down town Jakarta.

Oo\===/oO
Old 25-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #412
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

RTV Power
Old 25-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #413
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Awesome shot.

Impressive - especially if you plan on flattening down town Jakarta.
A single Blue 82 would do that job & flatten an area 1.6km in diameter.

RTV Power
Old 25-10-2010, 07:48 PM   #414
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Some pretty cool shots in this thread!
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #415
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
Some pretty cool shots in this thread!
Here's a few more:

RTV Power
Old 25-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #416
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDfutura25
The Vulcan is beautiful. I love the look of them. Only the SR-71 looks better.
True, the Tin Triangle is an awesome Plane, one of the three Brittish V Bombers (others being Vickers Valiant and Handley Paige Victor), forming the air bourne part of the UKs Nuclear Triad.

The SR-71 is the coolest Plane ever, Mach 3.2, 25 km up in the air. If something shoots at it, it just goes higher and faster. Two Pratt & Witney J-58s on afterburner.

The only other lane that comes close to the Black Bird is the North American XB-70 Valkyrie Bomber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #417
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavers
That's a shame as it's not cheap. I've been fortunate enough to spend some time in the sims before they're sold/installed to the franchies - pretty darn cool. Not too much fun coming back to a joystick and computer screen after flying around in them.
I've seen alot of video clips of guys in the simulators but have never got in one myself. The flight experience on the gold coast is supposed to be quite good, both in terms of level of simulation (not full airline spec but rated for instrument training by casa from memory) and the types of flights etc. I've never done it partly because i don't want to have to come back to my little old computer and be depressed...rather not ruin it for myself....

Did you have much experience in airliner type simulators even MSflight sim on computer fordOwner? Because to be honest to take a guy off the street and throw them into the simulator you'd struggle even after 4 sessions to get the proper experience and any enjoyment. I haven't flown the 737 in the sim for a while now and i'd definitely do quite a few circuits in it before going along to the day because its just helps you familiarise yourself with the cockpit and how it flies compared to say the 767 which i fly in the sim. I'd say an experience flight sim guy (with airline experience) could probably do an ok job with some instruction but without some background it would be pretty stressful indeed....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #418
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
mik...this is just a display of the various types of ordnance that can be carried by the Classic Hornet. By no means can it carry all the ordnance shown. The ordnance carried would depend on the mission/sortie the jet would be carrying out...ie... air to air ordnance, air to ground ordnance....

Still doesn't compare to the payload of an F-111 tho!!

Full load of Mk-82LD 500lb bombs...48 in total
Cool shot but i doubt that any F111 have every flown with that load at least outside of initial flight testing. For starters with the two outer rails for stowage you can't sweep the wing..because they don't 'pivot'. You'd also be pretty buggered with getting any decent range or speed out of it....it looks overload just sitting there on the apron! Check out the compression in the tyres! Pretty impressive it can even lift that much i suppose...not much else in that class of aircraft would get close i'd say...

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #419
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDfutura25
I have never heard one. I always saw the AAE 727 at perth airport, but I know our government has banned them due to noise violation or some crap. If people want to build their houses near the airport then deal with it. We used to live on a flight path into Perth. I loved lying there on a stormy night and hearing those 747's coming in as low as they could, engines constantly being throttled up and down. We were about 15km as the crow flies, maybe not even that (it took us 20-25mins to get there by car) and damn did they come low some nights.

Im about 15km away from MEL, a straight line to the e/w runway...

Some days, they seem to use my roof as a turning marker... theres always one overhead.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 10:03 PM   #420
74_XB_Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Cool shot but i doubt that any F111 have every flown with that load at least outside of initial flight testing. For starters with the two outer rails for stowage you can't sweep the wing..because they don't 'pivot'. You'd also be pretty buggered with getting any decent range or speed out of it....it looks overload just sitting there on the apron! Check out the compression in the tyres! Pretty impressive it can even lift that much i suppose...not much else in that class of aircraft would get close i'd say...
Yes the two outer pylons are fixed but the wings can be swept to 26 degrees with fixed pylons fitted. Wing sweep lockout controls this for the pilot so he cant select wing sweep exceeding 26 degrees. Full forward wing sweep is 16 degrees.
It might look deceiving but they are black rubber chocks in front of the wheels.
Flight trials have shown that some stores produce more lift than drag which can assist in range....in saying that probably not for this weapons config. But range is no problem when in-flight refuelling is an option (just ask Libya) This type of weapons load is usually reserved for fancy photo shoots or when you want to show who has the bigger bollocks to our northern neighbours