Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 23-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #481
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Major Ford announcement

The Ecoboost Falcon is the biggest loss of all in my opinion...it could have been so much more. People aren't afraid of large four cylinder cars anymore...Subaru, Mazda, Toyota, and Honda don't lose sales because they're "only" four cylinders. With a good advertising campaign, it could have been marketed at people considering "foreign" cars.
They should have pushed...hard...the fuel economy and cheaper running costs. In Queensland especially you save a large amount of money having a four over a six or, especially, an eight cylinder. Some figures on the screen could have shown this.

And I agree...as sad as the job losses are, the people have a lead time of three years warning. There have been plenty of examples in recent history here of workers turning up at their place of work on Monday morning only to find the gates locked and a notice on the fence...it could have been far worse for the Ford workforce.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #482
GT-spec15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Agreed, and to our detriment.
I am a bit torn really!

Dad's background is an engineering/toolmaking business, but I went down a different path, went to uni, and decided to wear suits for a living. So...I can see both sides.

It's sad to gradually lose what we have 'traditionally' done over the decades, but at the same time it's reflective of how our country has developed. Change is inevitable in life.
Old 23-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #483
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-spec15 View Post
It seems like all your 270 posts are in this thread!!

Edit: 276 now, they're going up by the second!!
Old 23-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #484
gsd112
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its good that Ford have given staff 3 years notice to find other employment and not gone in September 2016 oh were closing next month. Obviousely it would be better to not be closing but its business.
Old 23-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #485
Swedishmoose

Quote:
Well said Moose

A healthy export deal or two would have gone a long way towards keeping the Falcon ticking.

I am pretty sure export is the ONLY reason Caprice can still exist, given they sell about two a month here!

Thanks mate....

when my family came over from Germany to visit, my brother said..
quote:

"Why doesn't Ford sell the Falcon in Germany....its a brilliant car...I like it a lot!"

And when I moved to Australia long time ago, I didn't want a showoffy German car or a Japanese car (don't get me wrong, they are also good cars), I wanted a Falcon. That pretty much sums it up a bit I guess.
We love our Falcon and we will keep it for generations.

cheers

The Moose
5 users like this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #486
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnamg View Post
I wonder how long before Holden makes a similar announcement.This is not a good sign for the continued local manufacturing of cars in Australia.
Holden is hanging in there for a few years at least. Toyota have also announced they have no plans to stop local production:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/232498/h...-announcement/
Old 23-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #487
GT-spec15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
The Ecoboost Falcon is the biggest loss of all in my opinion...it could have been so much more. People aren't afraid of large four cylinder cars anymore...Subaru, Mazda, Toyota, and Honda don't lose sales because they're "only" four cylinders. With a good advertising campaign, it could have been marketed at people considering "foreign" cars.
They should have pushed...hard...the fuel economy and cheaper running costs.
Indeed...I found it quite annoying that there was almost no marketing push behind such an impressive development.

But no doubt there were beancounters at Broadmeadows who ran the numbers and decided that with the way Falcon was going, it simply wasn't worth the outlay to push it. Makes you wonder why they bothered developing it at all?
Old 23-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #488
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our "Australian motor industry" for many many decades consisted of bolting together CKD kits from overseas makers...any reason it can't again...?
Old 23-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #489
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
Holden is hanging in there for a few years at least. Toyota have also announced they have no plans to stop local production:

For the manufacturing industries sake lets hope that's true.
Old 23-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #490
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
I am a bit torn really!

Dad's background is an engineering/toolmaking business, but I went down a different path, went to uni, and decided to wear suits for a living. So...I can see both sides.

It's sad to gradually lose what we have 'traditionally' done over the decades, but at the same time it's reflective of how our country has developed. Change is inevitable in life.
Agreed, change is inevitable, but the move to a service economy isn't sustainable. It will bite us in the backside way more than it has done so far.
This user likes this post:
Old 23-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #491
GT-spec15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridenJoy View Post

There's a handful in classic too....my XP is a learning curve and a half!

I honestly don't intent to offend anyone, but this is huge news and as a car nut, I am keen to discuss.
Old 23-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #492
GT-spec15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Our "Australian motor industry" for many many decades consisted of bolting together CKD kits from overseas makers...any reason it can't again...?
Wages, for one.

Why have your CKD kit assembled by Australians when a SE Asian country can do it for far less?
Old 23-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #493
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridenJoy View Post

Steady up, he has been arond here a lot longer that you have, we all feel the loss, even us Kiwi's that have not had car manufacturing for a long time.

Ford did assemble here once upon a time
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
Old 23-05-2013, 04:48 PM   #494
JG33

Had to happen eventually...sad to see it finally happen. I hope those who lost their jobs will find another quickly, being out of a job sucks big time.

RIP Ford Falcon
Old 23-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #495
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
I honestly don't intent to offend anyone, but this is huge news and as a car nut, I am keen to discuss.

Then go for it, get it off your chest.
Old 23-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #496
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASYBOSS View Post
Steady up, he has been arond here a lot longer that you have, we all feel the loss, even us Kiwi's that have not had car manufacturing for a long time.

Ford did assemble here once upon a time
No, you steady on. You have no idea how long I have been around here, don't let the join date fool you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8

I like this bit:

Journalists crowded around a Holden VF Commodore, with Devereux in the front seat, listening via the car’s Bluetooth connection to the announcement that Ford will close its manufacturing operations in Australia from October 2016.

Old 23-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #497
qwiksix

Sad and angry at the news.

Most of all feeling for the workers both at Ford and other suppliers. Keep your chin up guys and gals. Cars and companies can come and go, but we need people like you.
Old 23-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #498
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Such a shame, they make such good car really but i think their biggest mistake is no export program, holden and toyota export more then they sell here which is why they are still going and in the case of holden im not just talking about cars but their engineering the Omega platform is what almost every large car in the GM network is now based on.

I keep my territory as long as i can, am very sad that there wont be a new one, its the best of its kind and am grateful to the Aussies that built it thats its not just another over gadgeted usual story but a real capable drivers car.

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
Old 23-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #499
fordv8!

very very sad day , australia has lost an icon today the Mighty Ford Falcon!
Old 23-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #500
Ibanezteve
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having driven / owned many falcons over the years this is very disappointing news. May aswell sell the falcon now and buy a Nissan Z.
Old 23-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #501
I6DOHC

Someone earlier said they felt gutted & empty. That is exactly how I feel.

RDMR/Boss and all those ford workers affected by this, I truly feel for you guys. When watching the press conference live, and seeing those guys interviewed who were visibly shattered...it was truly gut wrenching. You can tell they put their heart & souls into what they do. After all Geoff Polities did what he did in resurrecting things with the BA/Territory, this is truly a sad way to see things end. Not casting aspersions (as I like American's), but an American announcing the end of Australian manufacturing and the falcon just doesn't feel quite right to me.

As much as I am bemoaning the loss of the Falcon, the impact on me is relatively minimal in the scheme of things. I won't be able to buy the best large car for Australia come Nov 2016 anymore. I for one would like to say again that I appreciate the passion of the ford workers in what they do. That passion is visible in the FG sitting in my driveway and every time I drive it. I will be for sure grabbing both a new ute & another turbo before the falcon's time is up so I really hope Ford management are true to their word in keeping it until 2016 as some serious saving has to be done first.

At this point in time I just can't see another car being purchased after that.
Old 23-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #502
Bonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry Re: Major Ford announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWI-1 View Post
The irony is that Ford US have trimmed back summer holidays due to increased demand.
http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i..._summer_b.html
Ironic alright.
If the yanks got to test drive and really experience the superiority of the FG, they (Ford) would need another plant to meet the demand!!!! Then they could export back to us, at a lower cost........
Very sorry for the workers and their families, been there (BHP 1982).
Hang in there guys.....(& girls).

Jaguar XJ-S: Eaton S/C, I/Cooler, Haltech, DB7 rims, 1:15 Wakefield.

Jaguar XJ6 Wife's daily :2006 Quartz Metallic, FORD Duratec 3.0 V6, ZF 6sp

Previous relationships: FG GT, FG XR8 (+BA XT 5.4, BA AU, EF, EB, EA, EA & XF work cars)
Jags XJ12 & XJ6, BMW E39 Wagon, BMW F11 M-Sport wagon, 20 of GMH FC-HQ
Old 23-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #503
GT-spec15

Anyone here know the reason why the Falcon never found an export home in USA?

At least up until very recently, our Commodore/Falcon have been vastly better than what they put together in terms of 'midsize' sedans...
Old 23-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #504
Trump
bitch lasagne

I am at a loss to explain how the Yanks are able to buy so many new cars with unemployment so high. Is credit that easy to obtain over there???
Old 23-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #505
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Perhaps we should prop up an artificial wool industry too.
Industries come and go. Australia is now a service-based country and manufacturing has moved to other more viable countries.
Don't get me started on the wool industry bucko!...
The one thing it does have in common with our beloved local car industry is the fact that Govco stuck there uneducated noses into both of these iconic "golden gooses" hoping to milk the cream...
Only to succeed in obliterating both with tarriffs and total disregard to common sense!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 23-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #506
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well my take for what its worth is ..
Having purchased 3 new Fords in 2012/13 Ford is part to blame for there own demise.
Our 3 recent purchases are enginneered in Aust and Built in Thailand.

If we have to let go of Falcon and Territory , Lets hope F series make a come back along with the new Mustang & Explorers but that will not help all those workers out of a job of course in 2016.
Old 23-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #507
BJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The last Falcon off the line...I wonder who will get that one.
Old 23-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #508
GT-spec15

Ford might keep it.
Old 23-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #509
Bonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford Rebel View Post
So what will happen to V8 supercars?? If there's no Falcon teams I aint watching or going to anymore events... Could never switch to another team. Yuck!!

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/f...o-v8-supercars

Putting on a brave face, but who knows??????

Jaguar XJ-S: Eaton S/C, I/Cooler, Haltech, DB7 rims, 1:15 Wakefield.

Jaguar XJ6 Wife's daily :2006 Quartz Metallic, FORD Duratec 3.0 V6, ZF 6sp

Previous relationships: FG GT, FG XR8 (+BA XT 5.4, BA AU, EF, EB, EA, EA & XF work cars)
Jags XJ12 & XJ6, BMW E39 Wagon, BMW F11 M-Sport wagon, 20 of GMH FC-HQ
Old 23-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #510
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

The end of an era for Australia. This will also end GMH too.

While there won't be any local manufacturing from 2016 on, nothing can change the legacy that Ford leaves behind. I've only ever owned Australian Fords and I doubt that will change. I'll just keep mine running forever.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
3 users like this post:
Closed Thread