Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 14-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Are we car enthusiasts being weeded out?

The younger generations like Gen Y are more into Jap imports, and the Gen Ys on this forum most likely won't back me up on this because we're all on this forum for one particular reason.

Having worked in the industry, how many P platers do you see in N/A versions of Skylines, Silvia, Imprezza, Supra, etc? There is a tonne of them getting about with P plates.

Fast and the Furious generation

I'm into American utes, Jap imports, hot hatches and anything diesel, not interested in old school muscle or high powered sedans, Falcon and Commodore are old mans cars, and I own a Falcon, its good for nice comfy highway cruising and fitting in 4 people in comfort, thats about it.

I guess if you've got the XR8s with the 5.4, something with a 5.0 or an XR6T its real fast in a line, which is another thing you can add to the list.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 14-12-2013 at 11:26 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #32
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
...and what's stopping you (or others) from remaining to be a Falcon enthusiast?

Zilch...

This is the stupidest dribble I've read. Perhaps its time to tell P76 owners to stop be enthusiast while we are going?
Because there won't be any new ones to look forward to.
Old 14-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #33
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
The younger generations like Gen Y are more into Jap imports, and the Gen Ys on this forum most likely won't back me up on this because we're all on this forum for one particular reason.

Having worked in the industry, how many P platers do you see in N/A versions of Skylines, Silvia, Imprezza, Supra, etc? There is a tonne of them getting about with P plates.

Fast and the Furious generation

I'm into American utes, Jap imports and hot hatches, not interested in old school muscle or high powered sedans, Falcon and Commodore are old mans cars.

My mates have all sorts of stuff, the only thing common is the love of the car.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
This user likes this post:
Old 14-12-2013, 11:23 PM   #34
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
Because there won't be any new ones to look forward to.

...and?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 14-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #35
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax View Post
Yeah, because a well refined, well sorted and extremely high powered Euro is rubbish in comparison. Or are you one of those who call it rubbish as it doesn't fit into your budget?
Did I say Euro's are rubbish? Don't put words into my mouth. I said they were the best replacement for our rwd sedans but are unaffordable for the average person. How did you translate that into 'rubbish?'
Old 14-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #36
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Did I say Euro's are rubbish? Don't put words into my mouth. I said they were the best replacement for our rwd sedans but are unaffordable for the average person. How did you translate that into 'rubbish?'
Well you did refer to all other cars as generic, soulless rubbish.
Old 14-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #37
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKnee View Post
Well you did refer to all other cars as generic, soulless rubbish.
Yes, to be more specific I was referring mainly to the fwd buzz boxes and other generic rubbish that the Australian public seems to be infatuated with these days. If you look at the vfacts figures there is barely a desirable car to be seen in the top 20.
Old 14-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #38
jamies

Quote:
This is only true for the last couple of years. Prior to this Falcadore enthusiasts made up the overwhelming majority and you are making a mistake by underestimating this.
I have zero interest in Jap or other car scenes. I cannot change what is in my blood.
Damn man... It sucks to be looking out of your window, the world you see is akin to a scene out of the walking dead.. Miserable and negative. Car enthusiasts are into cars all types, if we where a dying breed we wouldn't care about the 60's 70's and 80's classic cars. We choose to be enthusiasts and support the scene by going to car shows,buying and restoring cars. Having car clubs, I've been in the scene along time and met a lot of friends. Shouldn't matter what type of car it is, a true enthusiast admires and respects all models.even when it's not your preferred taste you can still appreciate and respect.
Old 14-12-2013, 11:49 PM   #39
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Yes, to be more specific I was referring mainly to the fwd buzz boxes and other generic rubbish that the Australian public seems to be infatuated with these days. If you look at the vfacts figures there is barely a desirable car to be seen in the top 20.
Thats because most people just want a car, but genuine car enthusiasts have a wealth of choice. And hotted up fwd hatchbacks can be very fun cars.
4 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2013, 11:51 PM   #40
superyob
Banned

I will put my head on the chopping block here. I completely understand where Stevs is coming from. When a product has been the backdrop to your life and inextricably intertwined with your cultural understandings of Australian identity, telling that person that that product which was so dominant for so long is gone because it’s an inconvenience in the new world global economy smacks of hypocrisy by all who claim to love Australia, but won’t buy the cars we manufacture here because they don’t have laser operated Venetian blinds or some other useless junk gadget.

The constant referral to our cars as being inferior, nothing more than taxis or whatever else they can be falsely accused of is irritating and unfounded. We once stood proud as Aussies and we bought Aussie cars…

Chop away…
4 users like this post:
Old 14-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #41
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
I will put my head on the chopping block here. I completely understand where Stevs is coming from. When a product has been the backdrop to your life and inextricably intertwined with your cultural understandings of Australian identity, telling that person that that product which was so dominant for so long is gone because it’s an inconvenience in the new world global economy smacks of hypocrisy by all who claim to love Australia, but won’t buy the cars we manufacture here because they don’t have laser operated Venetian blinds or some other useless junk gadget.

The constant referral to our cars as being inferior, nothing more than taxis or whatever else they can be falsely accused of is irritating and unfounded. We once stood proud as Aussies and we bought Aussie cars…

Chop away…
Perfectly said
Old 15-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #42
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
maybe the Australian public see Australian made cars as rubbish??? did you ever think of that??
Old 15-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #43
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6_benito View Post
With the commodore and falcon being retired, i cant but think that car enthusiasts are also being thrown out with the bath water.

Still fast cars but likely to leave them in factory spec due to lack of aftermarket support, or excessive cost to custom modify.
First of all, being a car enthusiast doesn't mean being a Falcon or Commodore driver. Car enthusiasts drive a wide variety of cars.

Secondly, car enthusiasts do not all choose to modify their cars. I would prefer a factory spec car, original in every way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6_benito View Post
Agreed that enthusiasts exist anywhere but in this country the overwelming majority are falcodore enthusiasts. Decades of models to confirm this support. Decades of selling at number 1 on the sales charts. A proud history and heritage to support. The au model showed that drastic change would not be well received. (Despite how good the au is)

to go cold turkey on them? They dont just pick another model and carry on.
That's the past. Falcon and Commodore are no longer the number 1 selling car in Australia. Yes, they both have had a proud history in Australia, but that's about all.

Another thing: while Falcon and Commodore were undoubtedly best sellers a decade or two ago, how many of those were bought by fleets? Taxis, police, car rental companies etc - all of which have inflated its sales figures. Yes, any sale is a good sale, whether it's to a fleet or otherwise, but once fleets started looking elsewhere, Falcon and Commodore sales started to drop. Now, private buyers are also starting to look elsewhere because they have no need for a Falcon or a Commodore.

Quote:
The ironic thing is that people keep harping on that the car makers are responding to markets by giving people cars they want to buy, when in reality they are taking away what is the only choice for many of us and giving us cars we don't want.
Your definition of "many of us" clearly doesn't constitute a majority.

Quote:
The constant referral to our cars as being inferior, nothing more than taxis or whatever else they can be falsely accused of is irritating and unfounded.
On that point, I agree. Falcons are much more than just taxis; they are magnificent cars and for the same money, I don't think there's a better large RWD sedan. There are better cars, but not for the same money.

Trouble is, though, that the market for large RWD sedans is shrinking.

I didn't buy a Falcon because it is built in Australia. I bought a Falcon because I like Falcons. I like having a large, comfortable car with "enough" power for the odd occasion when I just want to floor the accelerator, or when I need to overtake. I don't need a Turbo, I don't need a V8, I don't need 20 inch rims and big wings. I value a softer, comfortable ride over a loud V8 and a subdued, elegant appearance over look-at-me wings and skirts.

I can live without the Falcon just as easily - the Mondeo is nearly as big, just as comfortable, has a bigger boot, and with the Ecoboost engine, it has enough power for my needs (I do hope that they don't de-tune the Mondeo's Ecoboost engine in the next model).

From where I'm sitting, the Falcon is not irreplaceable.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)

Last edited by NX74205; 15-12-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 15-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #44
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:

Chop away…
I think you'll find in alot of cases people buy imports because they're alot cheaper, yet better spec'd and are the cars people want thesedays. Globally the large car market has shrunk, people want SUVs or small cars.
Old 15-12-2013, 12:15 AM   #45
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Damn man... It sucks to be looking out of your window, the world you see is akin to a scene out of the walking dead.. Miserable and negative. Car enthusiasts are into cars all types, if we where a dying breed we wouldn't care about the 60's 70's and 80's classic cars. We choose to be enthusiasts and support the scene by going to car shows,buying and restoring cars. Having car clubs, I've been in the scene along time and met a lot of friends. Shouldn't matter what type of car it is, a true enthusiast admires and respects all models.even when it's not your preferred taste you can still appreciate and respect.
I consider myself to be true enthusiast and I do sometimes try to get a little interested in Euro/Jap offerings but it just does not happen. It's like trying to appreciate my wife's sewing machine...
Old 15-12-2013, 12:18 AM   #46
jamies

Quote:
I consider myself to be true enthusiast and I do sometimes try to get a little interested in Euro/Jap offerings but it just does not happen. It's like trying to appreciate my wife's sewing machine...
I agree with you,I'm a falcon fan and have had a lot of fords over my time. Japanese and any other make might not be my cup of tea. But in the end we all have one thing in common the love of our cars.
Old 15-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #47
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There will always be car enthusiasts Stevz. When you think about the cessation of Falcon/Holden production come 2016 or whenever it happens it's just another small part of an ongoing evolution for all sorts of manufactured products and not just cars.

There are clubs for all sorts of vehicles that haven't been available for years and they will remain as long as the cars are around. I was a member of the Packard Automobile Club of Australia not that long ago and only sold my Packard a couple of years ago, but that club will endure. They made the last Packard in about 1958.

When you think about it, you never actually own a classic car - you are only its custodian until it's passed on to the next owner. They'll still be around long after we've all been turned into worm castings.

Just think if you were a bit of a music aficionado and lived in the 40's or whenever it was they stopped making wind-up gramophones. Do you think you would have said, "That's it - I'm never listening to music again." I don't think so.

I like Harley-Davidsons and I can remember people lamenting the passing of the kick start lever on the H-D models around 1985. Should have heard them, "Oh that's it, I won't be buying one of these new things without a kick start, that's not a real Harley!"

I kind of wondered if all their cars and utes had crank handles!

We move on mate.

Russ
Old 15-12-2013, 12:24 AM   #48
OwnTheRoad
T Series Club AUST.

It's not just about loosing the car ( falcon/commodore) its also about pride as an enthusiast and that we can no longer look at our Aussie sedans and say damn I'm impressed with the way we can make a fantastic big sedan knowing that Aussie ingenuity and skill produced such a great machine . This loss to me is the most dissapointing .
3 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2013, 12:30 AM   #49
jamies

I've read in other threads that a lot of people wouldn't of classed a brand new falcon a classic it's new and boring and has no heritage... Now the falcon is finished, there's all this who haaa.. Once the falcon is officially finished I know I'll still be proud as punch knowing I've got an Fpv.. I've owned XT v8's, esp 351's and many more.. So I'll ways remember the classics.
Old 15-12-2013, 12:32 AM   #50
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
They will be too busy doing up Hyundais and Kias to even care
So those people aren't car enthusiasts ???

As far as the topic goes, went to a small Friday catch up with a few enthusiasts last night. Unfortunately only 3500 could fit int the car park and the other 1000 odd had to be turned away. Along with about 10,000 odd people just to sticky, I would say the scene will survive with no probs!!!!!!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
9 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #51
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
So those people aren't car enthusiasts ???
No, they are appliance enthusiasts.
Old 15-12-2013, 12:35 AM   #52
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

..... And the others are Taxi enthusiasts ????

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 15-12-2013, 12:38 AM   #53
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

You'd be surprised what some of those little cars can do. Jesus Falcodore is not the pinnacle of performance. Biggest problem with the scene has always been Falcodore enthusiasts acting like they are race breed supercars sold to mum and dads to taxi the kids around.
Old 15-12-2013, 12:50 AM   #54
wookie836
Highway wanderer

if you think life ends at falcons/commodores going down the gurgler and thats it for you, being a car enthusiast, you are limiting yourself.
Theres a great chance that one day a car will pass you, or you find yourself in said car one day and go wow i like this, i never thought and bam, youre enthusiastically buying the new sporty hyundai and not looking back.

tastes change, of all the car manufacturers and models available to us theres something for everyone that can make you change your mind. if you guys really care so much about owning a falcon or a commodore, are you seriosuly going to by a new FG or VF, or just going to lament the loss of a company? i certainly wont because i have a falcon they built over 30 years ago and im building it to suit my tastes more than i can with a factory ordered one today that costs as much as a deposit on a house, no tears for ford or holden from me and thousands more. im even starting to modify my jeep. tastes change.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2013, 12:59 AM   #55
fte50
T3FTE -099. OnTemp Loan

The enthusiast wont die, but he will have to work 3 extra jobs to for go the F6 for an M3, then sell his wife on ebay come major service time.

Warning - This users posts are classified (G).

G (General) – Contains material intended for general viewing. The content is very mild in impact.
IT IS STRONGLY ADVISED SENSITIVE ADULTS VIEW IN THE COMPANY OF CHILDREN
2 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2013, 01:03 AM   #56
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fte50 View Post
The enthusiast wont die, but he will have to work 3 extra jobs to for go the F6 for an M3, then sell his wife on ebay come major service time.
Or just buy an WRX, Evo, Skyline, Mustang etc.

Its funny how so many complain that the Aussie market is over saturated but are now complaining that there's not enough choice...make up your mind people.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2013, 01:11 AM   #57
stevz
Banned

Quote:

Its funny how so many complain that the Aussie market is over saturated but are now complaining that there's not enough choice...make up your mind people.
What if we don't want a 2 door car or a cramped little buzz box?
Old 15-12-2013, 01:14 AM   #58
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
what if people don't want a fuel guzzling 4 door overweight taxi??
Old 15-12-2013, 01:15 AM   #59
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I just think people don't like change
2 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2013, 01:15 AM   #60
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Evos/WRXs really aren't that cramped for the average person. You can still buy second hand Falcodores or anything else as well.
Closed Thread