Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #31
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Nokia Apps and Widgets Review

App Name:NetQuin MGard
Reviewed on: Nokia N8
Source: http://www.netqin.com/en/guard/symbian/
Homescreen Widget:No
Cost: Free

This touts itself as being antivirus for Symbian, but is much more
I can filter your SMS, preserve them in a secure directory, provide backup, and scan your phone for unknown applications. It can help you monitor you Internet traffic (to catch malicious apps, or just managing you data allowance)
It can give you better management of you applications - especially in stopping then from getting run at startup
This last feature it what I wanted most - and I was able to route out a few apps that thought they needed to run every time I booted my phone
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #32
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just an update from me...the nokia n8 is the biggest pos i have ever had the pleasure of smashing into the ground, throwing against the wall and bighting in half.... it froze up one too many times two days ago and suffered a fate worse than death.... a beige hissy mangulation and **** me if the alarm still hasnt gone off the last two mornings still (tough ph.. err it doesnt really resemble a ph much anymore).. So i have proceeded to smash it into the ground both mornings until alarm ceases....... Stay away from them EVEN IF THEY COME INTO YOUR LIFE FOR FREE.... nothing in life is free BUT A NOKIA N8 will certainly give you the ***** FOR FREE... end of rant.. Thankyou... *note* this has been tapped out on old faithfull nokia slider...
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #33
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry about your bad experience - but the comment is off topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
Old 01-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #34
Jimmyd
Banned

Been happy with my N8-00 - it is the only 12mp camera with a phone option on the market.

App Name: Nokia Panorama by Nokia Project
Reviewed on: Nokia N8-00
Source: www.ovi.com
Homescreen Widget:Yes

beats similar apps on my Ipod Touch hands down - just have to take care with vertical angle to minimise curviture

Cheers
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #35
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have to admit i made a terrible mistake keeping faith in nokia. Its a terrible phone. Ok let me fix that, the software is terrible bringing it down. That being said im stuck with it for another year or so.

So on topic.

App Name:WRC APP
Source: OVI STORE

As nokia is a major sponsor of the WRC they made this app especially for it. If the internet on the phone actually worked half the time when i wanted it too it would be a decent app. Shows all the results and calender and is quite useful, considering i dont get much time to follow WRC like i used to.
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2011, 12:33 PM   #36
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
Sorry about your bad experience - but the comment is off topic.
thankyou for reminding me for being offtopic... take it as a community service announcement / warning to the broader AFF community of my experience..... on topic - angry birds
Old 01-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #37
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman
I have to admit i made a terrible mistake keeping faith in nokia. Its a terrible phone. Ok let me fix that, the software is terrible bringing it down. That being said im stuck with it for another year or so.
I agree, great phone let down by really poor software. Pitty you can't put a different OS on it.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:27 PM   #38
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Sorry man - OT
If people want a "I hate N8s" thread, please start one.
This thread is about and Apps that run on Nokias, and not only Symbian, and not only N8
Old 02-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #39
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

Quote:
Just an update from me...the nokia n8 is the biggest pos i have ever had the pleasure of smashing into the ground, throwing against the wall and bighting in half.... it froze up one too many times two days ago and suffered a fate worse than death.... a beige hissy mangulation and **** me if the alarm still hasnt gone off the last two mornings still (tough ph.. err it doesnt really resemble a ph much anymore).. So i have proceeded to smash it into the ground both mornings until alarm ceases....... Stay away from them EVEN IF THEY COME INTO YOUR LIFE FOR FREE.... nothing in life is free BUT A NOKIA N8 will certainly give you the ***** FOR FREE... end of rant.. Thankyou... *note* this has been tapped out on old faithfull nokia slider...
sorry to hear about your bad experience with your ex Nokia n8 sounds exactly the same as n97 problems, i'm a n8 user myself Ive had about 6 N8's in the past year , when i signed up with crazy johns for a new contract, there were 3 N8's that were faulty, i just left Crazy Johns just resently so i had to hand my Phone back to them , then when i signed up with optus my n8 screwed up again which was 5th n8, i could've easily got a different phone when i signed up with Optus but there aren't many phone thats caught my attentaion and features that n8 offer i love , this will be my final nokia ever as Nokia will be going with Microsoft with their phones from now on, for aff members using N8, watch out Software upgrades in the next few months will be coming out, Anna will be soon relased very soon, plus Belle the biggest Software update ever for Nokia n8, it will completely transform your Menu on the phone it probably would't be out out until next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd
Been happy with my N8-00 - it is the only 12mp camera with a phone option on the market.

App Name: Nokia Panorama by Nokia Project
Reviewed on: Nokia N8-00
Source: www.ovi.com

beats similar apps on my Ipod Touch hands down - just have to take care with vertical angle to minimise curviture

Cheers
them photos look amazing

Quote:
thankyou for reminding me for being offtopic... take it as a community service announcement / warning to the broader AFF community of my experience..... on topic - angry birds
gota love Angry Bird ive got 3 verions of it on My phone

Angry Birds
Angry Bird Open Season
Angry Bird Rio
Old 02-09-2011, 09:30 PM   #40
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralliart
sorry to hear about your bad experience with your ex Nokia n8 sounds exactly the same as n97 problems, i'm a n8 user myself Ive had about 6 N8's in the past year , when i signed up with crazy johns for a new contract, there were 3 N8's that were faulty, i just left Crazy Johns just resently so i had to hand my Phone back to them , then when i signed up with optus my n8 screwed up again which was 5th n8, i could've easily got a different phone when i signed up with Optus but there aren't many phone thats caught my attentaion and features that n8 offer i love , this will be my final nokia ever as Nokia will be going with Microsoft with their phones from now on, for aff members using N8, watch out Software upgrades in the next few months will be coming out, Anna will be soon relased very soon, plus Belle the biggest Software update ever for Nokia n8, it will completely transform your Menu on the phone it probably would't be out out until next year.

them photos look amazing

gota love Angry Bird ive got 3 verions of it on My phone

Angry Birds
Angry Bird Open Season
Angry Bird Rio
mate you are so going to get a smack on the dicky with a frilled neck lizard by the OP for being OT... much more patience than me bud i only killed one (alarm didnt go off this morning it appears i have smashed my NOKIA N8 TO DEATH).. *note* this is a warning and public service announcement to fellow AFF users... On Topic.. Angry birds rio ftw
Old 03-09-2011, 07:43 AM   #41
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I have had mine for about 9 months or so now I think. Haven't had any problems with it. It could be a bit quicker, and I wish it had the signal strength of an E51 (blue tick phone), but other than that it is pretty good.
Old 28-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #42
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you have not signed into Nokia Store recently do so soon.
There are 20 (roughly) apps for free as a "Gift".
Seems to be a different range for each phone.
Chance to get an app, that usually costs money, for free.
Old 28-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #43
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

There was a big update for the N8. Phone seems to be slower. The early versions seems to have had no improvement. For newer versions its a bit better (but runs slower). One problem I've noticed is that it won't get rid of the message indicator when you go into a sms...well it does it once you go into the message 2-3 times.

I think I might just go buy a HTC and use that for the rest of the contract.
Old 29-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #44
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

trt - understand your grief .... please open a thread complaining about the N8. If you need to unload it I will gladly take it off your hands - ping me when you next commute as far north as Sydney.

I have installed Anna
Performance has improved.
The initial establishment of GPS location has halved its time.
The text input is improved.
The Maps solution has taken a mammoth step forward.

Symbian Anna is the ducks nuts.
... but this thread is about Symbian Apps, so please disregard all except the comments about the Nokia Navigator.
Old 29-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #45
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

I've got a Nokia N8.
From my own personal experience the phone is slow and just generally terrible when I've got over 1500 text msgs roughly on my phone.
Once I delete them all then the phone is perfect.

IMO the best thing about the N8 is it's camera and video recording.
At concerts and clubs it does a very good job with the sound
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #46
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

j0nni - please append to the vztrt's thread (if and when)

I am not commenting on your experience, rather the appropriateness to a thread on Nokia Apps.
Old 29-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #47
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
trt - understand your grief .... please open a thread complaining about the N8. If you need to unload it I will gladly take it off your hands - ping me when you next commute as far north as Sydney.

I have installed Anna

... but this thread is about Symbian Apps, so please disregard all except the comments about the Nokia Navigator.

I only posted to say there was an update (as it doesn't need a new thread IMO). I was hoping for better results and as the other half and both have N8's so I can see if either are improved.

Not gonna start a whinge thread (as I've done it enough on here). I'll just get a good phone.
Old 29-11-2011, 11:11 PM   #48
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I only posted to say there was an update (as it doesn't need a new thread IMO). I was hoping for better results and as the other half and both have N8's so I can see if either are improved.

Not gonna start a whinge thread (as I've done it enough on here). I'll just get a good phone.

I am amazed people still bother with buying so called 'high end' nokias these days....

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #49
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

Quote:
There was a big update for the N8. Phone seems to be slower. The early versions seems to have had no improvement. For newer versions its a bit better (but runs slower). One problem I've noticed is that it won't get rid of the message indicator when you go into a sms...well it does it once you go into the message 2-3 times.

I think I might just go buy a HTC and use that for the rest of the contract.
i updated to to anna twice before it got released, its a good update but not the best , still slow, they added a new keyboard to the qwerty keybord the portait view when messaging which is great feature except the keys need to be bigger , maps has been updated best maps ever ,

draw back of the new software is the battery and it slows down when you have heaps of messages, which i haven't noticed as of yet as i only have 150sms

the new software of the N8 is going be sweet its Belle and preety much a android look like on the home screen it will way better than anna except it probably won't be out until the new year

Quote:

I have installed Anna

agree 100% on them points

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nni
I've got a Nokia N8.

IMO the best thing about the N8 is it's camera and video recording.
At concerts and clubs it does a very good job with the sound
that was my main reason why i got the n8 to start with

Last edited by Ralliart; 01-12-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Ralliart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #50
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

App Name: Best Profiles
Source: Ovi Store
Cost: $4

I tried ovi situations and found it too feature rich for what I wanted.
This one allows you to schedule profile changes - and return to previous state based on a calendar.
I have several "No interruption" meeting each week, and have set these up as silent, and every evening switch to "Beep and Vibrate" for me sleep time.
Also has ability to use GPS or cell data to change the profile (I have not tried this yet)
Old 04-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #51
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had noticed that "Microsoft communicator" had found it way onto my startup tasks - not sure if this was Anna, or something I installed.

I used the below app to disable it at startup time.
I have seen my battery life bump up a little (to 26hrs from 24), and the phones reboot time dropped.

Quote:
App Name:NetQuin MGard
Source: http://www.netqin.com/en/guard/symbian/
Caution using NetQin: It will put itself in autostart, and keep running until your next reboot (even if you exit) - probably what you want from a virus scanner but I use its "settings" to disable its auto start.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #52
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

App Name: Cricket Scores (by gcell)
Source: Ovi Store

This is a good app to setup scores for tons of matches and tournaments around the world. It looks a bit primitive but very stable and you can get plenty of info.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #53
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just bought an N9 and regretting not buying an iphone 4s because of the software.

Can anyone point in the direction of some good apps?

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #54
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys
Just bought an N9 and regretting not buying an iphone 4s because of the software.

Can anyone point in the direction of some good apps?
http://store.ovi.com/