Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-10-2016, 11:27 AM   #31
xr6turboford

Default Re: Greatest falcon? My 2 Cents.

To me their all great but my personal favourite was my XBGT Coupe if I could own another one I would in a heartbeat.
xr6turboford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2016, 02:27 PM   #32
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

I've had quite a few "Falcons" over the past 33yrs... Sedans, Utes & Wagons... 6s & V8s... Manuals & Autos... Column & Floor shifts... Base, Sports & Luxury models... Short & Long Wheelbase. Several XBs, an XF, an EB & ED... ZF, ZG & NL Fairlanes... a BA, BF & BF2. They have all been great, in their own ways and for the time !

I still own the EB 4.0 Fairmont Wag, NL 5.0 Fairlane Ghia, & BA 4.0 Falcon Wagon... and will never sell the NL... but the best Falcon I've ever owned is my BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon....

IMG_0542 by Gothe Falcon, on Flickr

Sure... it's had "a few" modifications since it left the Factory ()... but they are all from the Ford Aus parts bin !

For me... this truly is "The Great Australian Road Car"... and dirt road car... and off road car... and no road car too !!

In the past 4yrs I have travelled to and through every State & Territory in this great & vast country of ours (inc Tas)... I've been on the best freeways, the most average interconnectors and the worst dirt tracks on offer here... covered around 230,00ks in that time... and the FAWD has never let me down !

I appreciate that we will all have our own favourite... for our own reasons etc... but this is mine and it too, will stay in the stable until I go

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2016, 02:46 PM   #33
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

I'll surprise everyone and say I think the greatest Falcon is actually the AU. Especially the series 2/3.

Those cars are so well put together, and i should know as i have pulled apart close to 50 of them, it needs to be seen to be appreciated. Easy to work on, parts are plentiful and cheap, handle very well and are no slouches, they're easily the most reliable and enjoyable Falcons to own, unfortunately they're under appreciated though. At Blue Sunday the AUs (other than a couple of T3s) never really attracted the attention other Falcons got, but those who know them well can appreciate the well kept ones.

Because they are so reliable i often see them being driven by people who have no idea how to look after and maintain cars and see them in shocking condition, but they still keep going. Bulletproof they are.

I have had XEs, ELs, AUs, BAs, BFs, FGs and FGXs and i still think the AUs are the pick of the bunch.

Second choice for me is the XE. Last of the old school V8s, modern rear suspension meant it handled better than any falcon before it and a V8 XE ESP with the nolathane suspension, bigger sway bars and Bilstein shockers, all from factory means it handled better than Falcons many many years newer.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2016, 03:03 PM   #34
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day...I'm a dufus...I was in a rush this morning to take my XR6 for a wheel alignment and added to the '2 cents worth' thread..Imagine my horror when I read it back this arvo..I put somehow not a good health check for the trannie..
It should have read 'got a good health check for the trannie'.. cos it did.
Yet another typo.. In actual fact , the guys were amazed how clean and metal particle free she was..considering she hadn't been touched in 14 years at the time..Clean as ...The magnets / filters were in great nick , no leaks what so ever...Something else that is good and bad..We should have done the plugs at 150,000 but she's now got 192,000...still original plugs and still doesn't miss a beat BUT...heard that sometimes plugs in that long can be fair buggers to get out if they bind on the threads...
Yep , I rate the AU right up there.. The XR6 was way way out in the wheel alignment too..miles out toe out I was told..no wonder she was chopping the insides of the tyres and the rears were out a bit too although the adjustment is fairly limited ..All fixed now but she'll need new shoes soon..
Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2016, 03:12 PM   #35
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridenJoy View Post
I'll surprise everyone and say I think the greatest Falcon is actually the AU. Especially the series 2/3.

Those cars are so well put together, and i should know as i have pulled apart close to 50 of them, it needs to be seen to be appreciated. Easy to work on, parts are plentiful and cheap, handle very well and are no slouches, they're easily the most reliable and enjoyable Falcons to own, unfortunately they're under appreciated though. At Blue Sunday the AUs (other than a couple of T3s) never really attracted the attention other Falcons got, but those who know them well can appreciate the well kept ones.

Because they are so reliable i often see them being driven by people who have no idea how to look after and maintain cars and see them in shocking condition, but they still keep going. Bulletproof they are.

I have had XEs, ELs, AUs, BAs, BFs, FGs and FGXs and i still think the AUs are the pick of the bunch.

Second choice for me is the XE. Last of the old school V8s, modern rear suspension meant it handled better than any falcon before it and a V8 XE ESP with the nolathane suspension, bigger sway bars and Bilstein shockers, all from factory means it handled better than Falcons many many years newer.
G'day...Very very true...Only on one point would I slightly disagree..There are some that attract A LOT of attention like these..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlqUZ6OwKw8 ..Nothing looks a great deal better than the amazing T Series...and not a bad little 5.6 litre donk either....Cheers Rod...

Last edited by roddy1960; 03-10-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:03 PM   #36
superfly
Go the Hogster!

For me it's the FG but I always did like the look of the Cobra.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:03 PM   #37
superyob
Banned

The greatest Falcon was a Fairlane...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2016, 09:10 PM   #38
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

From a reliability standpoint, I'm giving AU the shared number 1 spot with the FG.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2016, 09:27 PM   #39
Falcman0o7
Banned

I have 5 kids that all came home in a falcon
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2016, 09:29 PM   #40
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

I pick the FG falcon. For the spread of engines and models.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2016, 09:52 PM   #41
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, I was going to say XY (range, racing history, great road car) or AU (fully marketed range, engineering, reliability, handling) but...

...wait for it...

the greatest Falcon is actually the Territory.

Ford Australia did the market research and recognised where the market would shift, and delivered a fantastic design right when the market volume of SUV overtook passenger cars for the first time - 2004-5. Backed by the great Geoff Polites, they designed a better looking car than the American Freestyle, took this to Dearborn, got approved and went and diversified the Falcon platform to something that would sell, in a growing segment, and something that could be exported.

By benchmarking the X5, and through international handling testing, they delivered something the segment/price did not have - great handling. Now a family wagon could be fun. Dad could still have some driving enjoyment.

Then, they delivered something else - choices. You could choose 7 seats. 5. You could choose AWD, or as many people revealed they didn't use it, you could save some coin and have the RWD version. The RWD was an even sweeter steer. Its important to note there really wasn't a split 2wd/4wd option in SUVs before this; now most manufacturers offer it.

Then, they topped it off with a multitude of storage options. And amazingly priced it at Falcon wagon entry price.

All of a sudden, here was a replacement for people movers, traditional wagons, and truck-like 4wds in one easy, affordable package. No wonder it sold in the mid 2000s, and based on these strengths has continued to sell right until nearly the end.

(PS - then Ford Australia did it again, doing the same segment busting reinvention with the Ranger in the dual cabs. Which incidentally, took off as they released it. Bravo Ford.)
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2016, 10:50 PM   #42
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XR falcon one of the best looking falcons of all time. but its so hard to choose they pumped out so many awesome models .
Sar4890 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2016, 11:59 PM   #43
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the EB XR6 was the best falcon, good handling ride compromise, went well was good on fuel when driven normally.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2016, 08:19 AM   #44
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day..I've already posted my answer on this thread but something I got to add on Falcon in general..
The one VERY SPECIAL feature many of our wonderful Falcon model runs used to have was this at one time..

SEDAN
COUPE
UTILITY
STATION WAGON
PANEL VAN
LIMO/EXECUTIVE Fairmont Ghia , Fairlane , LTD, Marquis etc..
Later on there was Territory and RTV's all with very strong family links to the Falcon unit..
When the dust settles this is going to be something to be really really proud of..That's Aussie ingenuity at it's absolute best Dearborn..You're losing that..
Your loss....
Cheers Rod...
This user likes this post:
Old 04-10-2016, 10:55 AM   #45
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

The greatest, it would have to be the one you owned which gave the best service, caused you the least trouble and fitted you to a T.
As has been said, it is very subjective.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2016, 12:36 PM   #46
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had a few Ford Falcons, the first was an 1989 EA S 3.9L MPI, 5-speed manual - load of rubbish and couldn't wait to get rid of it ...... and into ......

A 1992 5.0L EB II, automatic and white. Loved that car but sold it when I went to Brunei to work in 1993.

Enter 2001 and I'd returned to Australia and got an AU II XR8 220kW - loved that car too and put quite a few k's on it - all reliable.

I traded that for a 2003 BA Series I GTP - 5-speed manual. This was my favourite "Falcon", I kept her for 9 years and cried when I sold her. Had a full Herrod system on it and it sounded great.

The greatest "Falcon" I owned was my 2012 R-Spec 6-speed auto - what a rocketship, a true unguided missile!!! The push in the back it gave when you nailed the throttle was exhilarating!!

So to me - greatest 2012 R-Spec but my favourite was the 2003 GTP!

I'm just glad I owned a few Falcons over the years - any Ford I've had with a V8 has been totally reliable. (I just hope the Mustang lives up to its older Ford brothers.)

My aim when I get closer to retirement is to maybe get a good well looked after F6 - the Ford inline 6 needs some redemption in my eyes and that might be just the ticket.

Come this Friday - what a sad, sad day!
Old 04-10-2016, 01:08 PM   #47
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
I traded that for a 2003 BA Series I GTP - 5-speed manual. This was my favourite "Falcon", I kept her for 9 years and cried when I sold her. Had a full Herrod system on it and it sounded great.

The greatest "Falcon" I owned was my 2012 R-Spec 6-speed auto - what a rocketship, a true unguided missile!!! The push in the back it gave when you nailed the throttle was exhilarating!!

So to me - greatest 2012 R-Spec but my favourite was the 2003 GTP!
The 03 GT-P is my favorite too.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2016, 02:18 PM   #48
Craig@AUDI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7 View Post
I have 5 kids that all came home in a falcon
Were they made in the Falcon too?

Craig@AUDI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2016, 03:52 PM   #49
StefD

My family have had numerous Falcons over the last 30 years. My uncle when he moved here from the UK bought an XT Falcon 500 wagon in white. My other uncle has had the following as company cars;

EF Futura
EL Futura
AUII Fairmont Ghia (which he subsequently bought post-lease for my aunt to drive till it got written off)

also he bought a AUII Forte Sedan post-lease for my cousin to drive and a Forte Wagon which my grandfather drove till he couldn't drive anymore, and has since been passed on through the family (another cousin of mine owns it these days.

Dad had an AU Futura company car at one stage too.

I echo Sprintey's sentiments RE: Territory, owning one myself. The fact that Ford spent the time and money on R&D to build it and price it the way they did, and it being based off a Falcon, it makes sense.

I like all the models. If the money was there I would have a decent collection of Falcon's. One powerball as they say...

I think the FGX Sprint models are the ultimate modern-day Falcon, purely because it is the best of the lot, and my thoughts are the XY GT/GTHO is the ultimate olden day Falcon.
LS XR5T - Performance Blue
LV XR5T - Frozen White
MC Titanium TDCI - Panther Black
SZ TX RWD 7 Seater - Glow
StefD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2016, 09:12 AM   #50
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Hi guys, the greatest Falcon for me is the Au Falcon (surprise, surprise not lol!) because it ticks a number of certain boxes for me. While its luck on the racetrack was not there, the AU's on road abilities was on display to anyone who drove one. It was the ultimate old school Falcon, a culmination of all the good things the E series were renowned for (especially series one AU). When it comes to the AU series, don't judge a book by its cover especially if you haven't driven or owned one.

I have good memories of the Xp, Xt, Xy, Xc & Xd Falcons over the years that I've owned or was in the family but my favourite old school Falcon is the Xa model in both guises. Something about the taillights & rear end that look just right to me, not to mention its bruiser overall looks.

I actually like all post Au Falcons, some more than others but the main thing for me is they carried on the legacy in their own ways by continuing to innovate new features, dominate on the racetrack again & titillate its drivers (wow factor). I'd be happy to own any of them for sure!!!

I agree the Fgx is the ultimate final Falcon in all its forms & I hope it sells out before the Falcon nameplate is gone sadly forever. Dynamically & atheistic wise its a ripper, Ford & its tireless local Aussie workers deserve a well earned send-off, if I had the cash I would certainly have one over the 'Stang first.

Thanks to Ford Australia & it's loyal local workers for producing & providing the BEST bang for buck vehicles Australia has ever seen, the fruits of your hard work will be seen on the roads for years to come. That is the final & best testament of all the blood, sweat, tears & love ❤ you put in every Ford produced in this great country. God bless you all & thanks for the awesome motoring memories!!!! All the best in your future endeavours & good luck!!!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)

Last edited by Maka; 07-10-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2016, 03:55 PM   #51
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The model is definitely debateable. So many choices. The engine for me there is no doubt. The barra turbo six cylinder was just awesome. I miss mine everyday, it just had everything!!!
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2016, 07:02 PM   #52
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

The greatest Falcon ever?? Who can possibly say but in the context of my ownership experience for me the greatest Falcon ever (that I have owned) is.........

XA GT Sedan.

The best car I ever had.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2016, 08:30 PM   #53
Snake Bite

Attachment 94222

Cobra, followed by all XA to XC Hardtops

Last edited by Snake Bite; 30-04-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Snake Bite is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2016, 09:18 PM   #54
jobeli

*Best ever Falcons would have to be the BA (and turbo) series of the early 2000s. I'm only going on my memory of how all the motor reviewers AT THAT TIME absolutely raved about it, like they had never done before or since in my recollection.
*Best looking must be the XA XB XC coupes surely. Even XB GT sedans are beautiful.
*Most desirable of course is the XY GTHO Ph 3.
*Best engine would be the turbo I6 or (don't laugh) the ECOLPI.
jobeli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2016, 09:39 PM   #55
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Thanks to Ford Australia & it's loyal local workers for producing & providing the BEST bang for buck vehicles Australia has ever seen, the fruits of your hard work will be seen on the roads for years to come. That is the final & best testament of all the blood, sweat, tears & love ❤ you put in every Ford produced in this great country. God bless you all & thanks for the awesome motoring memories!!!! All the best in your future endeavours & good luck!!!

cheer's, Maka
Hear, hear. Well done all of you, I am so proud of you.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2016, 09:54 AM   #56
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I read that the XA was the first all Australian Falcon so that will be my first vote.
The AU although flawed through some eyes helped launch the COTY BA Falcon.
XA followed by AUII. Thanks for ride FordAus.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2016, 01:05 PM   #57
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Its funny. I used to have an AUII and it was the worst car I've ever had. A decent problem every 2000kms (which clocks up fast In my fleet). Now all that remains are parts of it in the shed.
The best is my clapped out EAII. Contrary to the general consensus that EA wasn't that great because it was a fresh model.
This car has done 351xxx (great number haha) and I've had it for 10,000 kms. When I got it. Everything leaked, the steering rack ends were shot wicked ways and bleeding ps fluid like no tomorrow, timing chain rattled like you wouldn't beleive, every bush was shot and some had bits missing, the body has seen a few learner drivers and the paint has been destroyed by the brutal Perth sun, there is no heater, no air con, the transmission slipped... It's generally what every calls totally ********d.

So I changed the oil and all filters, jacked it up, put some fat muddies on and drove it till about a month ago. I haven't done a single mechanical thing to it to this day apart from a water pump and wheel bearings! Things that were not even remotely an immediate concern. It's strong as too, roo's just bounce off, small trees and scrub are no issue to drive through either.
It was daily driven, has done the locally popular Mundaring power line track and tonnes of tracks down Busselton way. It's been my tow car taking loads up to 1t (Very slow but it did it). It is now parked in the backyard having a well earnt rest awaiting an engine rebuild, new transmission and a suspension refresh and rtv drop boxes.

What makes it the greatest, is that it's totally totally stuffed, but it keeps going even after 10,000 kilometres of torturous driving. This is what makes Aussie Fords the greatest! It's what makes mine the greatest to me.

Also, the word in the bush with people who take cars out to thrash till the car dies is that the AU series is the best for it, the cars simply don't die untill crashed.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2016, 02:55 AM   #58
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
It was daily driven, has done the locally popular Mundaring power line track and tonnes of tracks down Busselton way.
Interesting, our ED sedan had to be used on my work for some telco rock tracks when my 4wd was being serviced. It did the tracks superbly. There were a couple of sections where I had to get out and remove rocks in the way, but overall... such a comfortable honourary 4wd! I expect an RTV or Outback would be awesome
Old 11-10-2016, 04:47 AM   #59
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

So hard to pick one ... have had a few here and there ... and enjoyed every one of them (I'll also add Territory in there as it's really an AWD B-series anyway).

Wish I had the chance to own/drive more ... I may but funds do not really allow at the moment.

There's still a few out there that's I'd like to experience yet ... and hope to at some point if i find the right one.

I could go on about each of them and how great they are/were ... I'm just thankful I have been able to experience/enjoy them in my lifetime at least.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2016, 08:39 AM   #60
blk6t

I wouldn't say that it should all boil down to 1 car, I more look at an era or series. Given i'm 33, I only really got into cars when the AU surfaced and my "P" plater car back in the day was an AU Series 2 XR6, white and it was immaculate.

I loved that thing back then and that's what really got me into my Fords.

But of course, the BA hit the scene in 2002 and you would have to say it was a pretty big deal, Ford revived itself from the shadows of the AU and a truly world class RWD platform was created that set the path all the way to the FGX.

I was in awe of the BA as a young "P" plater, and Ford just kept on rolling with the punches:
- Birth of the XR6 Turbo
- New V8 in the XR8 that at the time matched HSV's Clubsport
- Birth of Ford Performance Vehicles which led to the revival of the GT badge again and the birth of the XR6 Turbo's bigger sibling...the F6 Typhoon.

Ford was also recording some pretty big sales numbers with the BA and it wasn't just the showroom where Ford was kicking goals...the race track is also where magic was happening...Marcos Ambrose was showing the V8 Supercar world what the Ford and their teams could achieve.

I actually loved the XR6 Turbo that much at the time, I flogged my beloved AU off and got into a demo BA XR6 Turbo ute, black, leather, hard lid....AND still on my "P's"..this was all before the restrictions came into play.

Sadly like most, I loved my BA but had annoying little quality issues...issues that definitely hurt Falcon's reputation.

For me though, I think the car that stood out the most was the BF. A lot of the issues that plagued the BA were ironed out and the Falcon became more polished in a lot of areas. I owned 2 BF's, an XR6 Turbo manual and one of the last BF2 XR8's. Both cars I absolutely loved.

FPV also delivered some great models in the BF range and I still think the BF FPV's are some of the toughest looking Fords ever to hit the showroom floor.

So for me, it's the BF that sits pretty high on my list as one of my favourites...still fundamentally a BA at heart but it was just a more refined model and it delivered some great memories and cars. Awesome looking FPV models (GT Cobra..GT 40th Anniversary & RSpec Typhoon) and colour combos, one of the best 6 speed auto's and I think it competed pretty well against the VE at the time, might have been older but still held it's own.

That's my 2 cents.