Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-05-2011, 05:07 AM   #31
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ecoboost V6 Accounts for 36% of all F150 Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Add a bit extra for the torque inherent in an I6 and you've got a ball tearer.

I wonder how that experimental Barra I6 diesel went...
A while ago, I remember reading a question about the possibility of a 3.7 EB, and the response was that the turbo tuning had so much potential, that the extra few cubes wouldn't make much difference. I just wonder how much potential that engine has.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #32
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
A while ago, I remember reading a question about the possibility of a 3.7 EB, and the response was that the turbo tuning had so much potential, that the extra few cubes wouldn't make much difference. I just wonder how much potential that engine has.
The 3.7 is a bored out version of the 3.5, I think there would be sealing issues with head gaskets.

The Cyclones seem to predate Ford's full commitment to FWD/AWD in cars and utilities,
so maybe if they had their time over Ford would have chosen different displacements
but never the less the 3.5 does a fine job muscling around the bigger Fords and we've
yet to see the aftermarket tuners get to work exploring the limits of power and reliability.

I keep imagining a "fully sick bro" 500 hp Ecoboost I-4 Falcon throwing down
and scaring the ever livin' out of HSV's latest wow go faster V8 toy.....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #33
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
The real question is why can't we get one here??
yeah that's weird, i mean we have redneck and tradies that would be interested in the F series.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #34
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The 3.7 is a bored out version of the 3.5, I think there would be sealing issues with head gaskets.

The Cyclones seem to predate Ford's full commitment to FWD/AWD in cars and utilities,
so maybe if they had their time over Ford would have chosen different displacements
but never the less the 3.5 does a fine job muscling around the bigger Fords and we've
yet to see the aftermarket tuners get to work exploring the limits of power and reliability.

You mean a "Fulleh seck broo". Definitely a kiwi would be the first to do that.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #35
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Add a bit extra for the torque inherent in an I6 and you've got a ball tearer.

I wonder how that experimental Barra I6 diesel went...
Yeah, i reckon the BARRA i6 diesel would've punched out 200kW@4500rpm /700Nm@1750pm. Easy!

NB The Ford 4.4L TDV8 outputs are 235kW/700Nm.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #36
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Yeah, i reckon the BARRA i6 diesel would've punched out 200kW@4500rpm /700Nm@1750pm. Easy!

NB The Ford 4.4L TDV8 outputs are 235kW/700Nm.
Mmmm.... with enough money put into Barra...you'd have one hell of a dynamic engine.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #37
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/03/v...ales-in-april/

Quote:
V6 offerings make up 50% of retail Ford F-150 sales in April

by Chris Shunk (RSS feed) on May 3rd 2011 at 5:29PM

Ford sold 45,435 F-150s in April, up 11 percent versus the top-selling truck's April 2010 totals. That's a solid month for truck sales with soaring fuel prices, but the finer sales details show that truck buyers are very mindful of prices at the pump.

Ford announced in its monthly sales totals release that V6-equipped F-150s accounted for 50 percent of retail sales, up considerably from the 40 percent mix in March. The 3.7-liter V6 offers truck buyers 305 horsepower and 23 miles per gallon on the highway, so it's not surprising that some owners are opting for the smaller mill.

But the more popular V6 offering is the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6, which boasts 365 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque. Ford says 75 percent of those V6 sales are of the EcoBoost variety, which makes sense, given the fact that the boosted mill accounted for 36 percent of all F-150 sales in April. The EcoBoost F-150 gets up to 22 mpg on the highway, which is still as good as or better than the other pickup trucks on the market.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #38
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/02/f...ing-v8-models/

Quote:
Report: Ford F-150 V6s outselling V8 models

by Zach Bowman (RSS feed) on Jun 2nd 2011 at 9:31AM

Ford hit a milestone with its F-150 pickup last month. According to PickupTrucks.com, the Blue Oval sold more trucks with V6 engines than V8 mills. Forty-one percent of F-150 sales left the lot with the company's 3.5-liter Ecoboost six-pot under the hood. That number is up four percentage points compared to last month.

Additionally, the base, naturally-aspirated 3.7-liter V6 engine took home a 14 percent slice of the total mix, bringing the grand V6 total to 55 percent of all F-150 sales. The news comes as little surprise to anyone who's spent time in the full-size truck.

The twin-turbocharged, direct-injected 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 engine provides more power and better fuel economy than the 5.0-liter V8 alternative. While it carries a $750 premium over the larger displacement engine, buyers are keenly aware of just how much a few extra mpgs can save at the pump. As PickupTrucks.com points out, fuel prices are currently a dollar higher right now than they were at the same point last year.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #39
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So let me get this straight - the dumbarse Yanks thing "going green" is buying a zillion tonne car with a slightly smaller engine to get a whopping 22MPG (WOW!) and that's great and that's going to same them fuel money & save the planet.

Ace. They sure are rocket scientists. That's why NASA is there I suppose.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:06 AM   #40
kpcart
Banned

that percentage is staggering! american pickup truck drivers are stereotypical v8 lovers... and so many are buying the higher priced eco boost option! Ford Australia needs to get that motor over here as soon as possible. they should put the v6 in the falcon not the 4 cylinder.
kpcart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2011, 08:12 AM   #41
kpcart
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80

thats a lame comparison, at 500hp it would be crazily after market modded. do the same to a hsv and it will make 900hp... broo. the ecoboost would not be marketted versus a hsv, and modding it to beat a hsv would be as practicle as modding a corrolla to beat a hsv, it is just stupid and only for the dullest of dull brained "cash-up-bogan-who-hates-holden". maybe you broo.
kpcart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #42
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888
So let me get this straight - the dumbarse Yanks thing "going green" is buying a zillion tonne car with a slightly smaller engine to get a whopping 22MPG (WOW!) and that's great and that's going to same them fuel money & save the planet.

Ace. They sure are rocket scientists. That's why NASA is there I suppose.
Maybe you should also blame the "dumbarse yanks" for your V8 options too.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #43
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcart
thats a lame comparison, at 500hp it would be crazily after market modded. do the same to a hsv and it will make 900hp... broo. the ecoboost would not be marketted versus a hsv, and modding it to beat a hsv would be as practicle as modding a corrolla to beat a hsv, it is just stupid and only for the dullest of dull brained "cash-up-bogan-who-hates-holden". maybe you broo.

Got another one guys.

Obviously you have no grasp of the concept of SARCASM.....

Last edited by jpd80; 04-06-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #44
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

May sales of F Truck (F150 + Super Duty) = 42,399

F150 is approx. 2/3s that figure and
F150 sales breakdown is reported as:

V6 = 14%

Ecoboost = 41%

V8 = 45%
Old 11-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #45
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/10/f...by-v6-engines/

Quote:
Ford reports F-150 sales are being overrun by V6 engines
By Jeremy Korzeniewski RSS feed
Aug 10th 2011 8:59AM

We can't say we're surprised. After our first sampling of the latest Ford F-150, which received four brand-new engines for the 2011 model year, we signed out the two V6 offerings as the ones most worthy of buyer's consideration. And, lo and behold, Ford F-150s equipped with V6 engines are outselling their V8 counterparts for the third month in a row and the first time since 1985 that V8s weren't the dominant powerplant option in Ford's full-size pickup.

So far in 2011, Ford has sold 313,183 units – an eight-percent increase over last year and enough to keep the F-series the best-selling vehicle in America for the umpteenth year running. Of the two six-cylinder engine options, it's the EcoBoost V6 that's truly stealing the show, and with good reason. With 365 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque compare very favorably with its competitor's top V8s, and it handily outperforms them in EPA-rated fuel mileage (16 city, 22 highway).

Also worthy of consideration from buyers is the base 3.7-liter V6, which accounted for 16-percent of F-150 sales in July. With 302 horsepower, it offers more ponies that its most direct competitors' base V8s, and it scores 17 mpg city and 23 highway. These two Ford V6 options represent a rather astounding 80 percent of the full-size V6-powered pickup market in America, besting the likes of the Chevrolet Silverado, Ram 1500, GMC Sierra and Toyota Tundra by massive margins.

PRESS RELEASE

Two New V6 Engines Dominate Ford F-150 Sales

F-150 EcoBoost® V6 outsells all other competitive V6 pickups combined
F-150 3.7-liter V6 outsells all other competitive V6 full-sized trucks
F-150's two new V6 engines account for nearly eight out of every 10 V6-powered full-sized trucks sold

Next two Ford EcoBoost-powered vehicles, Edge and Explorer, on track for fall debut
DEARBORN, Mich., Aug. 9, 2011 – With its powerful and fuel-efficient 3.5-liter twin-turbocharged V6 engine, the 365-horsepower Ford F-150 EcoBoost® is outselling all other competitive six-cylinder trucks combined.

The new EcoBoost V6 is one of four new fuel-efficient engines Ford introduced in the F-150 for 2011. Another of those new engines – a 3.7-liter, 302-horsepower V6 – also outsells all other competitive V6 engines in full-sized trucks from Chevrolet, GMC, Dodge and Toyota.

According to sales data from J.D. Power and Associates, both new Ford truck V6 engines accounted for 79.5 percent market share of V6 full-sized trucks sold in July.

The Chevrolet Silverado takes second place with 12.1 percent market share, followed by the GMC Sierra with 4.0 percent, the Dodge Ram with 3.5 percent and the Toyota Tundra with 0.9 percent. Nissan does not offer a V6 in its Titan pickup.

In July, Ford sold 49,104 F-Series trucks. The EcoBoost V6 accounted for 40 percent of the mix, while the 3.7-liter took 16 percent of sales. This is the third consecutive month that V6s have outsold V8s in the F-Series. The last time the V6 outsold the V8 in America's most popular truck was 1985. Year to date, the F-Series has sold 313,183 units, 8 percent higher than a year ago.

"Both of our new V6 powerplants are changing the way customers think about truck engines," said Doug Scott, Ford's truck group marketing manager. "The 3.7-liter has more horsepower than two of the three V8 engines we offered in last year's F-150. The 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 engine, at 365 horsepower and 420 lb.-ft. torque, is in a class of its own – no one has anything even remotely close to this engine, which can tow as much as 11,300 pounds and deliver 22 mpg."

Fuel efficiency, along with best-in-class performance, is another reason the two new Ford F-150 engines are rewriting the book on V6 truck sales. The 3.7-liter F-150 carries an EPA rating of 17 mpg city and 23 mpg highway, while the F-150 EcoBoost is EPA certified at 16 mpg city and 22 mg highway, making it the most fuel-efficient truck with more than 350 horsepower on the market.

The hot-selling F-150 EcoBoost is now the highest volume vehicle in Ford's growing global family of cars, trucks and SUVs available with the company's patented fuel-saving technology.

EcoBoost combines engine downsizing with turbocharging, direct injection and other technologies to deliver both performance and fuel efficiency gains as high as 20 percent over the larger engines they replace. Ford holds more than 125 patents on its EcoBoost technology and has launched a family of EcoBoost engines globally in sizes ranging from 1.6 liters to 3.5 liters.

The next two models scheduled to receive EcoBoost engines are two of the company's top-selling utility vehicles, the Edge crossover and the Explorer SUV. Both will offer a 2.0-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine and deliver class-leading fuel efficiency of 30 mpg and 28 mpg highway, respectively. Edge and Explorer EcoBoost go on sale this fall.

Overseas, Ford EcoBoost engines are also a hit, with the 1.6-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder optional in the European C-MAX multi-activity vehicle virtually sold out. Sales volume is nearly 50 percent higher than projections.

News Source: Ford
Old 11-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #46
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Ecoboost is racking up the sales! Let's hope it does the same for Falcon sales!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #47
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Ecoboost is racking up the sales! Let's hope it does the same for Falcon sales!

Ecoboost F150 is more powerful and more torquey than the V8 so can Justify the $750 premium.

Ecoboost Falcon will have less power and torque than the I6 and carry a $1500 (?) premium.

Having said that I hope the Ecoboost Falcon sells up a storm, it sounds like a great engine. I think it would be good to have the Ecoboost as the standard engine and the I6 with more power and torque an optional extra.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2011, 09:39 PM   #48
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Ecoboost F150 is more powerful and more torquey than the V8 so can Justify the $750 premium.

Ecoboost Falcon will have less power and torque than the I6 and carry a $1500 (?) premium.

Having said that I hope the Ecoboost Falcon sells up a storm, it sounds like a great engine. I think it would be good to have the Ecoboost as the standard engine and the I6 with more power and torque an optional extra.
Ford initially said the Ecoboost would have a $1000 to $1500 premium over the I6, but with the aussie dollar being so strong it may be down as low as $500.

I'm amazed the V6 Ecoboost only does 1mpg less than the NA V6. Impressive.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #49
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Ford initially said the Ecoboost would have a $1000 to $1500 premium over the I6, but with the aussie dollar being so strong it may be down as low as $500.
Let's hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I'm amazed the V6 Ecoboost only does 1mpg less than the NA V6. Impressive.
Maybe due to the fact the atmo struggles/labours with the truck's weight.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:41 AM   #50
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The ideas of converting the 4.0 I-6 to diesel and EcoBoost keep getting thrown around like it should be an easy add on, like adding extra cheese on a hamburger. Petrol engines that have been converted to diesel have not worked in the past. GM probably hopes nobody remembers the old 5.7L V8 diesel. The 6.2 and 6.5 were not much better either. Ford already makes fantastic diesels. The 3.2L I-5, 3.0L V6, 4.4L V8, and 6.7L V8. There is no reason to make a converted diesel out of the 4.0 I-6. The 3.5L V6 EcoBoost was designed and built for its application. Ford made the truck 3.5 using stronger components so that the engine would survive the abuse. Unless Ford redesigns the 4.0 from the ground up, it is not going to work as well.
Old 13-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #51
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The you tube link i saw about the this new EB F truck on this site months ago was VERY impressive.... Testing was arduos to say the least and they even did a world first 'live' strip down at some motorshow over there and all tolerences were well within spec... That was after log hauling in the woods and then desert racing in the umm , desert....

Just goes to show what some cam phasing and high boost can REALLY do..... The yanks have been burning way too much for way too long and need to opt for exactly this type of engine and tech ... just like us here with the EcoLPi ...We have the technology....Go Ford!!!!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #52
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6
The you tube link i saw about the this new EB F truck on this site months ago was VERY impressive.... Testing was arduos to say the least and they even did a world first 'live' strip down at some motorshow over there and all tolerences were well within spec... That was after log hauling in the woods and then desert racing in the umm , desert....

Just goes to show what some cam phasing and high boost can REALLY do..... The yanks have been burning way too much for way too long and need to opt for exactly this type of engine and tech ... just like us here with the EcoLPi ...We have the technology....Go Ford!!!!
indeed that was a truly punishing set of tests, the best one was i reckon was freezing the engine then running it at full throttle over and over again.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2011, 01:00 AM   #53
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No way... The Baja desert test after like 100,000 'miles' did it for me....very impressive to say the least...

Last edited by GASWAGON; 14-08-2011 at 01:09 AM.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post