Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #31
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
That falls under doing the job badly
Yep that's our council.
Old 30-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #32
74_XB_Ute
See..Everybody Loves Ford

A mate of mine posted this on facebook

"In the 1970s 2 blokes would fix a pothole in 30 mins on their way to the pub for lunch (50 bucks). Now it takes 4 traffic controllers, 6 workers, 5 onlookers, a candidate from the Environmental Protection Agency, 200 witches hats, an excavator, steamroller and bobcat a month for a 50cm pothole at a cost of 5 grand.......outscourcing really works......not"

maybe slightly exaggerated....but still funny!
74_XB_Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #33
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

We had a successful claim when driving through some road works in the wet the ute fell into a trench they had cut into the road. I mean it fell into it so deep the chassis hit the road surface.

Turns out they had cut a trench in the road and then at the end of the day they just filled it with gravel. Anyway in the heavy rain the gravel go washed out and because of the rain you could not see it easily. Travel through at the posted speed and a hell bang as the front and then the rear right side wheels fell into what felt like the grand canyon.

We claimed on our insurance and then our insurance company went after the company doing the road works as they considered the road surface to be substandard and directly leading to the damage.

We got two new wheels, two new tyres, wheel alignment and a thorough inspection of the suspension without any cost to us. The Super Pursuit was 2 weeks old at the time.

The difference here is in our situation it was road works and they knew what they had done. I wish you luck with a pot hole but I don't like your chances. No harm in trying though.
Old 30-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #34
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74_XB_Ute
A mate of mine posted this on facebook

"In the 1970s 2 blokes would fix a pothole in 30 mins on their way to the pub for lunch (50 bucks). Now it takes 4 traffic controllers, 6 workers, 5 onlookers, a candidate from the Environmental Protection Agency, 200 witches hats, an excavator, steamroller and bobcat a month for a 50cm pothole at a cost of 5 grand.......outscourcing really works......not"

maybe slightly exaggerated....but still funny!
You forgot a road works speed limit of 40 km/h in a 100 zone for 3 km 24 hrs a day for that month, even when they are not working on it.
Old 30-11-2010, 08:36 PM   #35
74_XB_Ute
See..Everybody Loves Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
You forgot a road works speed limit of 40 km/h in a 100 zone for 3 km 24 hrs a day for that month, even when they are not working on it.
haha...exactly....
74_XB_Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #36
bareknuckle

from all the stories ive heard its pretty doubtful that i will get anywhere.they had that lane blocked off all day to fix the pot holes,there was about 15 of them in a row streched out over 50 meters or so.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:05 AM   #37
BomberXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareknuckle
from all the stories ive heard its pretty doubtful that i will get anywhere.they had that lane blocked off all day to fix the pot holes,there was about 15 of them in a row streched out over 50 meters or so.

Yeah it took me 30 mins to travel 1.5 KM on Monday morning at 09:00...stupid Vic roads....could have done it on Sunday with no peak hour traffic...but no that would have been sensible.
BomberXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #38
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

From news.com.au

Quote:
POPPED a tyre in a pothole? Chances are the council won’t refund you the repair costs. Unless you’re in one particular area. Blog

A survey of Greater Sydney’s local governments reveals only 12 of 84 claims against 14 councils were successful last financial*year.

And eight of the 12 were paid by Penrith, which seems to have a simpler and less*legalistic*approach.

A Penrith spokesman said: “Obviously I can’t comment on other councils, but this is our process to ensure fairness and*balance.”

Kogarah paid three claims. The other payout was by the City of*Sydney.

Penrith had the most claims - 25. The second highest was the Hills Shire. It paid*none.

Read John’s blog: How to make a claim over the damage a pothole caused to your*vehicle

A Hills Shire spokeswoman said: “The reason that the Council has not paid any claims in the period is because investigations have found that the Council has fixed the relevant potholes within its required time*frames.”

Hawkesbury received 13 claims. It didn’t pay any*either.

“Under Common Law principles of*negligence, Council cannot be held liable for damage caused as a result of road failure or a pothole, unless the failure or pothole was caused directly by Council in some way,” said Hawkesbury’s risk manager Greg*Finnie.

“While Council is responsible for the maintenance of local roads within its area, Council is entitled to rely upon legal immunity under the Civil*Liability Act*2002.”

Parramatta City Council hasn’t paid out any of the 35 claims sent its way since 2005 while Marrickville did not pay either of the claims it received in*2009-10.

That doesn’t augur well for ratepayer John Hammon, who crashed and wrote off his 1996 Honda Rebel motorbike after hitting a pothole in Dulwich Hill on Friday. But Mr Hammon is*determined.

“Council has to be liable for this,” Mr Hammon*said.

“I am going to make them responsible for the*repairs.”

He said the pothole was repaired the next day. He also reported the accident to*police.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #39
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Add rock-hard suspension and rubber band tyres to a two tonne family car... then blame the council when there is damage done by pot-holes.

No offence, but council rates are high enough without having to cover damage done to cars which at times are simply impractical.

There has to be some responsibility for drivers to accept that some vehicles will be prone to this type of damage. With tens of thousands of kms sealed roads in metro Australian cities, we just cant expect billard smooth roads everywhere.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #40
bareknuckle

not everybody wants to drive around in 4x4s,it is there job to maintain roads.
i understand back roads get little attention but a freeways with a speed limit of 110 and pot holes big enough to fit bowling balls in come on.it was lucky i didnt loose controll and take other vehicles out.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #41
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Kev hit one on the way back from Corowa last weekend at the Tallarook exit (Vic) it took out 1 tyre and buckled 2 rims (Ford19s) and has since had conversations with Vic roads the bloke he spoke with was fairly helpful BUT they stated that the first $1200 is on you then they will pay the balance , which sucks big time. the Saga continues

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #42
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So we pay taxes and rego to drive on roads which are meant to be safe. We get hammered daily about speeding, drink driving, mobile phones and so on and are dealt with like a criminal if we break those laws. But when it comes to governments and councils not upkeeping roads which should be their duty of care they are very slow to do so. Now all the people that have only come out with damage to wheels and tyres are lucky. I wonder what would happen if there was a fatality due to poor road surfaces?? Its just like if our car was unroadworthy and killed someone. Im sure we will be charged to the full extent of the law.
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #43
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

so joolz, what are you saying? LOL
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #44
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Add rock-hard suspension and rubber band tyres to a two tonne family car... then blame the council when there is damage done by pot-holes.
I think you need to realise that many of the cars that are having wheels damaged by pot holes on a regular basis are stock standard factory cars. I know our SP was, it was 2 weeks old (with factory suspension and 245/35 19's).

Another example of road maintenance and design not keeping in tune with vehicle design and standards. Just like those kerbs in parking areas to stop people from parking too far forward, council standards are often 150 mm in height yet the legal standard for vehicle height is 100 mm. Why can't the kerbs be 90 mm in height so it is the tyre that hits it and not $5000 worth of FPV front bar? Any idiot that can hit a 90 mm curb and not realise it is time to stop should not be driving, it does not have to be 150 mm in height. The result for FPV owners from these is we often park too far away from them so we don't hit the things, leaving the back too far out, especially in utes.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #45
fmc351
let it burn

Where does the government gets its money from? Any money it pays out to people, comes from the people.

As has been pointed out, if youre happy to have your rates raised, rego raised, licence fees raised, fuel taxes raised, then maybe we could drive on perfect surfaces. Yes yes, they raise them now, you're missing the point if thats what youre thinking.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 11:08 PM   #46
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Add another one to the list , my young brother got caught in his v8 soarer last week, comeing across from Drummond(Malmsbry) to Lancefield , it was his first time going that way and he did`nt take notice of the street sign, anyway he`s joined the pothole club with a badly damaged wheel, quite a rare type too, 9" x 18" in size, he said the crash of wheel hitting the pothole was horrendus, we should keep this thread alive, if we get enough hits in one area we might be able to do something about it.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #47
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I think you need to realise that many of the cars that are having wheels damaged by pot holes on a regular basis are stock standard factory cars. I know our SP was, it was 2 weeks old (with factory suspension and 245/35 19's).
I've only realised this in the past few weeks while looking for a set of secondhand 17" or 18" rims .. most are damaged to some degree. Many had been "straightened" or welded .. which according to Vicroads website I think is illegal?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #48
mrfordfairmont
351 clevo

you guys in vic think you have potholes look at this one

2004 territory ghia
click here for pics
work daily ke laser ghia RIP
click here for pics
Daily EF II fairmont wagon RIP
click here for pics
XD 351 clevo lowered
click here for pics

thanks to
p.e.a.c.h performance at stafford
http://www.peachperformance.com
mrfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #49
mrfordfairmont
351 clevo

tonight on today tonight there is a segment on the potholes in qld

2004 territory ghia
click here for pics
work daily ke laser ghia RIP
click here for pics
Daily EF II fairmont wagon RIP
click here for pics
XD 351 clevo lowered
click here for pics

thanks to
p.e.a.c.h performance at stafford
http://www.peachperformance.com
mrfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #50
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can always obtain tyre and rim insurance. A 3 year cover costs approx $450 ($150/yr). Due to the condition of our roads and running FPV 19's outside metro areas, I have recently set up this insurance on my car.
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #51
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfordfairmont
That's just a rumble strip to help prevent the driver from dozing off behind the wheel.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #52
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Obviously not enough traffic to be profitable for a speed camera
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #53
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfordfairmont
Other than the wrecked armco railing, looks like most of the Hume Fwy I drove on in NSW up to Holbrook
NSW roads are bad all the time ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post