Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-05-2011, 10:26 PM   #31
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

Default Re: New Camry coming - watch out Holden and Ford?

all i read was Camry then fell asleep....
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #32
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanBatman
Toyota build the best air conditioners is all I'll say!

Damn G6E with it's pretend a/c
Look under your bonnet. I'm pretty sure your Air Con compressor will have 'Denso' written on it, unless Ford have changed suppliers since BA/BF. Denso is a subsidiary of Toyota .
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #33
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Camry drivers are the new Volvo drivers.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2011, 11:26 PM   #34
Chopped
as in chopped

You might as well get a Aurion (same car/diff eng).
Old 23-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #35
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

I heard you get a brown cardigan with every Camry......
GTP-RPD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #36
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Jeez they are a conservative bunch if thats anything to go by.
Duh, that's toyota's mantra

should holden/ford be afraid. i think so. yes
Old 23-05-2011, 05:34 PM   #37
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will the Aurion be killed of ??? Its selling worse than FG!! and have the V6 as an option in the Camry??
Old 23-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #38
ray38l

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6
Can't beat Toyota for reliability.... ie Corrolla, Camry, Hi Lux, Lancrusier.... Top Gear proved it with the Hilux remember..... Just turn the key and go everytime....A standard Ford should be very envious of!
BS! I brought a corolla with 140000k's on it. Full Toyota service history. Did a service on it, went to do a round trip to qld and on the way home it died in a big way. Haven't opened the engine yet but the number 3 piston isn't moving at all.
That's the first and last Toyota i ever buy. Pieces of crap
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #39
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray38l
BS! I brought a corolla with 140000k's on it. Full Toyota service history. Did a service on it, went to do a round trip to qld and on the way home it died in a big way. Haven't opened the engine yet but the number 3 piston isn't moving at all.
Yeah, because you can judge a whole brand on the fact that your second hand 140,000km Corolla failed. When you spend $5k on a car that's what can happen.

I do agree with you however that Toyotas are not indestructible. Anyone who takes their automotive knowledge from the highly scripted entertainment show Top Gear needs a reality check.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #40
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Will the Aurion be killed of ??? Its selling worse than FG!! and have the V6 as an option in the Camry??
*psssst*...it's the same car. I'd wager it costs them bugger all to develop over and above the Camry (and the Borion is made elsewhere in Asia so development costs get spread out)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
Yeah, because you can judge a whole brand on the fact that your second hand 140,000km Corolla failed. When you spend $5k on a car that's what can happen.
Well people say the exact same thing about Fords on this forum so what he's saying is little different!

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #41
ray38l

Well it leaves a bad taste about a car brand that is supposedly the most reliable and it dies within 3000k's. From now i will stick to what i know. No toymotor for me ever again
Old 23-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #42
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Lol toyota smash Ford with regards to build quality...

Shoulda bought one ages ago :(
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #43
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

love my ford ute, but if you are in the rough stuff constantly there is no substitute for the toyota 79 series utes, nothing as strong for constant rough road use. not real comfortable and i spend alot of time at work in one but u have to be extremely unlucky or stupid to not make it back to camp in one. i love our prado at home aswell, but i havent given up on life yet, so i wont be getting a camry any time soon. A RWD Aurion with factory TRD supercharger might be OK though, have one of them if they made it that way!
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #44
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash again
love my ford ute, but if you are in the rough stuff constantly there is no substitute for the toyota 79 series utes, nothing as strong for constant rough road use. not real comfortable and i spend alot of time at work in one but u have to be extremely unlucky or stupid to not make it back to camp in one. i love our prado at home aswell, but i havent given up on life yet, so i wont be getting a camry any time soon. A RWD Aurion with factory TRD supercharger might be OK though, have one of them if they made it that way!

I have driven some of the late model Toyotas and they drive like ***. My Ford is 47 years old, and with koni shocks handles as good as modern Toyota machinery. Toyota just build cars with no power so it can't break anything.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #45
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
O.k so in your instance you got a bad one which i find very suprising....especially locking a cylinder.... Does'nt mean you can write the whole brand off.... It's well known that Landcrusiers are tough as in the outback and have been the benchmark for years.... How many Territory's are out there lol!
And what car do the taxi service use in Darwin because the other two 'local' brands can"t stand the hot conditions.... Camry.... learned that when i was there a few years ago! Mind you I do think the later Camry's styling went VERY bland but this new one may change that???

Last edited by GASWAGON; 23-05-2011 at 08:01 PM.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #46
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I wonder if this model will be fitted with Toyota's patented new technology where putting on an indicator immediately clears all vehicles in the lane where the driver wants to go. I certainly hope they make the seat height adjustable too so people can see over the dashboard, and I really hope they have the Sunar Traffic Channel TM which tells the driver the speed limit they are travelling, and when to get out of the fast lane. Most of all though, I hope the brakes are the type which prevent the idiot driver from stopping in the middle of flowing traffic because the idiot behind the wheel is lost/wanting to turn etc.

Why don't they just call it the "all new Toyota ****", after what every person who encounters one on the road says.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #47
MexicanBatman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
Look under your bonnet. I'm pretty sure your Air Con compressor will have 'Denso' written on it, unless Ford have changed suppliers since BA/BF. Denso is a subsidiary of Toyota .
It's not who supplies the parts, but it is the idiots who spec the parts... It's no seceret the FG has a smaller cooling capacity than earlier models, it even has a capacity of less than 400g or refrigerant, a fair bit less than earlier models with a/c that's cold... My 1991 hilux single cab had a/c that was so cold that on a 40deg day you'd get brain freeze after a highway run and the drinks in the cup holder in front of the ctr vents would chill!!
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #48
ray38l

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6
O.k so in your instance you got a bad one which i find very suprising....especially locking a cylinder.... Does'nt mean you can write the whole brand off.... It's well known that Landcrusiers are tough as in the outback and have been the benchmark for years...
Toyota's only selling point is there supposed reliability. Considering the only Toyota i have ever owned turned out to be the least reliable car i have ever owned its easy to see why I've decided they are crap. Maybe if they had some other kind of redeemable feature i might change my mind.
Landcruisers are good for what they are but i would pick a patrol over them any day. Too many of my mates have broken diffs in cruisers offroad.
Old 24-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #49
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Cruiser diffs aren't too good but Patrol 3 litre diesels are absolute junk as well. The number of them that have blown is just staggering. There's a serious design fault in the oiling system.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #50
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snout
I had to get the pin code for my Radio from the Toyota dealer last year.

The Toyota guy got out from behind his desk, walked to the car with me and put the code in himself, then gave me the code for free. No waiting, very friendly.

210000 kms, no mechanical issues or warranty claims, friendly service.

I'll be trading in the next 6 months. Ford have a hard time trying to match my experience with Toyota for my business.

My 03 Sportivo V6 is on 122k, I have had it 2 yrs and apart from the previous owner not servicing the trans and the dealer not giving a rats when they sold it, it has had nothing but services performed. Even the coolant has not been touched. It is still the same deep pink it was when I picked it up and has never needed topping up. My mechanic said until there is an issue he won't touch the coolant. The dealer service was to be desired. I must admit but, when I gave the dealer principal the invoice for my transmission service as I had complained it wasn't right, he refunded me.

I did a comparison against my 07 Fairmont and they are about the same. Although my sig says to kill me if I ever buy another one, I can't fault the thing except for styling and power. My Fairmont is so much nicer to drive. In summer but I prefer the camry, I have it set at 22 and on a 40c day it is freezing in the car within 30 seconds and you are turning the fan down to low and never touch it again, the fairmont never seems to cool down.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #51
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanBatman
It's not who supplies the parts, but it is the idiots who spec the parts... It's no seceret the FG has a smaller cooling capacity than earlier models, it even has a capacity of less than 400g or refrigerant, a fair bit less than earlier models with a/c that's cold... My 1991 hilux single cab had a/c that was so cold that on a 40deg day you'd get brain freeze after a highway run and the drinks in the cup holder in front of the ctr vents would chill!!
A/C is a bit hit and miss, ive driven Rav4s with terrible A/C, Aurions with fantastic A/C, Camrys with awful A/C, Hiluxs with great A/C.
Also driven FGs with great A/C and average A/C

Oh and a 1991 Hilux would have had the older R12 gas, which was better than the current stuff.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #52
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Toyota = the benchmark of boredom
As for the perception of their quality the last couple of years have seen quite a few recalls of their products.
Old 25-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #53
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

New carmy looks quite nice...makes the base FG look bland and grandpa-ish

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2011, 09:50 AM   #54
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Landcruisers are good for what they are but i would pick a patrol over them any day. Too many of my mates have broken diffs in cruisers offroad.
hmmm, i bought my first Landcruiser in 1980 and have had one every day since and never broken a diff, not only that but when we were racing limited sprint cars we used Landcruiser diffs as the quick changers where to expensive, 500hp through a dog box, only ever broke one and that was after a big hit with the concrete wall....

NOBODY used Patrol diffs as they would explode after a couple of weekends...

Apologies for the off topic...

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #55
ray38l

I can only comment on what i have seen. Everyone i know is in 4*4 clubs and when you ask them what they would prefer to own its always patrol and when you ask why there answer is they're "bulletproof" cruisers and hilux's are still good but the patrols better when you're getting serious offroad.
I've got a mates 98 hilux in my driveway that's on its third new diff in 6 months. He was going to put a patrol diff in the hilux but decided to just buy a patrol. The patrol cruisers over things that were breaking diffs in the Toyota. Off topic i know but i just get sick of people saying toyota's are the best for four wheel driving.
Old 25-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #56
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
No, the Aurion is being continued. Should be released first or second quarter in 2012.

Quote:
Toyota's only selling point is there supposed reliability.
Unlike Ford, Toyota has the ability to claim that for every one of you who are stuck on a negative experience with the Toyota brand, there are thousands of people who have a positive experience. I would wager Ford's ratio is smaller.

The other selling point that I feel works for Toyota at this point is the Toyota Service Advantage fixed price servicing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
I have driven some of the late model Toyotas and they drive like ***. My Ford is 47 years old, and with koni shocks handles as good as modern Toyota machinery. Toyota just build cars with no power so it can't break anything.
I'd have to argue that your experience driving late model Toyota's is about the same experience I've had in driving late model Porsche's. I've only driven two of them. But I base my experience and everything I say about Porsche is based on those experiences, but I can certainly still say I've driven "some" of the late models.

I would recommend you have a driven of the following Toyota products to base your opinion in relation to your power related comment:

200kw Toyota Aurion (sure, it's handling is perhaps debatable, but when you speak of power this is what I'm referring to.)
204kw Toyota Rav4 ZR6 - to say this car is actually over powered would not be a lie
204kw Toyota Kluger - I had one for 6000kms early this year and it is a fantastic car in terms of power.

Whilst these three cars utilise the same engine, it is still a strong example that Toyota sells products that have power.

As far as ride goes, I feel you're still being pretty critical. With the exemption of the FWD Camry and Aurion products, I think they all handle pretty well actually. As you'd expect of most new cars. The Camry and Aurion I would argue do handle a little poorly, with the FWD being to blame I suspect, but my point is that you are being a little too harsh on the Toyota product.
Old 25-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #57
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
New carmy looks quite nice...makes the base FG look bland and grandpa-ish
Seriously? I have stated previously that I find the FG Falcon unsightly, but it's nowhere near as bland as the new Camry, which rivals the VT Commodore. I'd rather an ugly car than a bland car... especially if the ugly car drives much better.

Not may buy the base FG. Most fleets and private buyers go for the XR6.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #58
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaneman
Seriously? I have stated previously that I find the FG Falcon unsightly, but it's nowhere near as bland as the new Camry, which rivals the VT Commodore. I'd rather an ugly car than a bland car... especially if the ugly car drives much better.

Not may buy the base FG. Most fleets and private buyers go for the XR6.

Im the opposite, I think the new Camry looks more styled. The FG looks anonymous, like the picture of the badge-less generic car you see on car-shampoo bottles.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #59
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
It's not the car's fault Ford failed at marketing it. I've driven a couple of Mondeos and for most things except power, they crapped all over my Falcons.
Everyone is using the lack of marketing as the scapegoat for all sales results. If you need to constantly remind someone that a car model exists then unfortunately the car probably doesn't have the right stuff - for the Mondeo I think it's more about price and equipment lists.
With the exception of the annoying Camry Hybrid ads, I can't remember the last advert I have seen for a medium sized car apart from the Hyundai I45. The Accord, Mazda 6 and Maxima have not been advertised for quite a period of time.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #60
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
I'd have to argue that your experience driving late model Toyota's is about the same experience I've had in driving late model Porsche's. I've only driven two of them. But I base my experience and everything I say about Porsche is based on those experiences, but I can certainly still say I've driven "some" of the late models.

I would recommend you have a driven of the following Toyota products to base your opinion in relation to your power related comment:

200kw Toyota Aurion (sure, it's handling is perhaps debatable, but when you speak of power this is what I'm referring to.)
204kw Toyota Rav4 ZR6 - to say this car is actually over powered would not be a lie
204kw Toyota Kluger - I had one for 6000kms early this year and it is a fantastic car in terms of power.

Whilst these three cars utilise the same engine, it is still a strong example that Toyota sells products that have power.

As far as ride goes, I feel you're still being pretty critical. With the exemption of the FWD Camry and Aurion products, I think they all handle pretty well actually. As you'd expect of most new cars. The Camry and Aurion I would argue do handle a little poorly, with the FWD being to blame I suspect, but my point is that you are being a little too harsh on the Toyota product.
200 kw in a modern motor vehicle is not a lot for an engineering team. These cars also don't have lots of torque at low revvs which is what really kills drivelines. Ford, Holden and most other makes have to engineer all of their chassis to handle well over 300kw and a bucket load more torque. Even my 47 year old ford is pushing about 280kw at the fly through the stock 47 year old gear box, diff, and axles.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post