Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #31
XR8putts

I'm not a big fan of the Aussie Cricket team (as some of you know :P), but I'm a massive fan of Matty Hayden - It sucks to see the one of the best, and fairest, players you guys have retire without a propper farewell.

I hope the media are happy, bunch of tossers. He didn't deserve that kind of grilling. I was hopeing he got a century or atleast a fifty in that last test but I guess it wasn't to be. The media did it to Skaife, and now they've done it again.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 06:34 PM   #32
XR8putts

I know it's unlikely, but I've got my fingers crossed that MH will play in the 20Twenty tonight..
Old 13-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #33
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Sad to see him go, definelty one of the best ever!, to bad he didn't go out with a big one tho!
Old 13-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #34
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Its a Travesty when a player has played as many games as he has and still has an average of 51 that he has to justify his worth to the Media. What a crock.

A Great Queenslander, Australian and Embassador of the Willow!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #35
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
I'm not a big fan of the Aussie Cricket team (as some of you know)
WTF? Oh, I see. You're from across the pond

and just got done by WI

Seriously, good luck when your team comes out later for the ODI ×5
Old 13-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #36
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
The Big fella has called it quits.
An absolute legend of the game, will be missed, one of our all time greatest batsman.
Congrats on an absolutely fantastic career.!

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...78-661,00.html
This is an end of an era for Ozzie cricket
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #37
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
Its a Travesty when a player has played as many games as he has and still has an average of 51 that he has to justify his worth to the Media. What a crock.

A Great Queenslander, Australian and Embassador of the Willow!
exactly! before gilly retired his average was low 30's having slid from 50+. its a bit different as he was primarily a keeper, but haydens poor run of form wasn't really as bad as we were led to believe.

media bagged australia because we lost in india. in the history of the game, with as good a sides as we've had, australia only won a series there for the first time 5 yrs ago. winning in india is a tough ask and shouldn't be made to look like a failure.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 07:31 PM   #38
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
exactly! before gilly retired his average was low 30's having slid from 50+.
Gilly's average was 47.60 on retirement. 35ish in ODIs
Old 13-01-2009, 07:35 PM   #39
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hords
WTF? Oh, I see. You're from across the pond

and just got done by WI

Seriously, good luck when your team comes out later for the ODI ×5
It was a light-hearted comment mate, did you miss the :P that followed that comment? My post had nothing but praise for MH.

Oh, and New Zealand just won the series against the WI, an hour ago (yet we 'got done' according to you?). Lets see if Australia are still capable of the same.
Old 13-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #40
itchy brother
Windsor Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer_Me
This is an end of an era for Ozzie cricket
Shame to see Matt go in this way, but it's also great to see that another top young left handed opening batting prospect has been unearthed in the 20/20!
Keen to see how he goes!
Old 13-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #41
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

I don't get it a couple of weeks ago he said he loved cricket and had absolutely no plans to retire. Now he gets dropped from one day and 20/20 and then he retires.

Nice to see some fresh faces in the side even though Hayden was a legend in his prime.

Seeya Haydos!!

Hellooooooooooo David Warner!!!!
Old 13-01-2009, 10:17 PM   #42
BFYOOT

aust can be a harsh place with the media; they love to jump on any band wagon when they're winning, but love even more to stick the boot in when they are having a patch of poor form. i think he was pushed to retire, considering the "meeting" the crick aust fella had with him earlier in the week.
do agree but, good to see some new faces coming through,
BFYOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #43
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Just watched him on the 20/20 game sayin his goodbyes...Thanks for all the great things you did for the game! You were great to watch and served the Aussie cricket team well!
Old 14-01-2009, 12:08 AM   #44
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Just watched him on the 20/20 game sayin his goodbyes...Thanks for all the great things you did for the game! You were great to watch and served the Aussie cricket team well!
Yep, was an awesome mustang too :
Old 14-01-2009, 12:45 AM   #45
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MH always put the team first, even when he was down on form, he went down swinging, as that was what the team required at that stage. He was boned because of it by the media.... if only people can see the bigger picture.

Well done Matty, may the fish bite, and the books sell.

Who can forsee Haydos and Roy making a fishing show together in the not to distant future, ET did it, and his fishing prowess wasnt as well known when he played league...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
He was soo gracious for his entire career... and as much as people from other states love to hate him, coz he is a qlder... he has given everything possible for the australian team

Oh, I work with the bloke that owned that Stang.... man he had that thing looking shiny tonight...
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 01:04 AM   #46
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Hayden?

Who did he drive for?
Old 14-01-2009, 01:29 AM   #47
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
It was a light-hearted comment mate, did you miss the :P that followed that comment? My post had nothing but praise for MH.

Oh, and New Zealand just won the series against the WI, an hour ago (yet we 'got done' according to you?). Lets see if Australia are still capable of the same.
Mine was 'meant' to be light hearted too. I misinterpteted the news (playing in the background whilst still at work). All I emenber is Gayle gettin' off to a flyer and I thought they said he seeled it. Appears good 'ol Duck/Lew had other ideas and you guys clinched it. I still remember you guys flogged us 3-0 prior to the last World Cup in NZ. You'se have the potential to forge another upset even over here. Bring it on...
Old 14-01-2009, 01:35 AM   #48
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEL2XR8
Reality soon caught him too! I'm glad though, 'coz he's only gonna come back stronger.
Old 14-01-2009, 01:56 AM   #49
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

sad to see Haydos go..he was surely one of the greats...

and Dave Warner...i used to play against him during highskool...that dude was awesome...he would hit you for a six batting left handed and then he would bat right handed and the same result...he could play the quicks easily and had difficult with the spinners...bt he does see the ball like a beachball and has great timing..good on him! hope to see more from him soon...
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 08:36 AM   #50
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEL2XR8

am i the only one who was so damn glad to see him fail?

I couldnt stand the hype surrounding his one innnings!!! yes it was a good one, no doubt.

But it was 1 freakin' innings, and everyone is going "omg this bloke needs to be in the 1 day side, test side, prime minster of australia, father to my wifes children!"
Old 14-01-2009, 03:25 PM   #51
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
am i the only one who was so damn glad to see him fail?

I couldnt stand the hype surrounding his one innnings!!! yes it was a good one, no doubt.

But it was 1 freakin' innings, and everyone is going "omg this bloke needs to be in the 1 day side, test side, prime minster of australia, father to my wifes children!"
he should never have been selected. the bias has always been toward nsw players. there's a bloke playing for the redbacks at the moment (ex vic) by the name of michael klinger, who has a much better record than warner and is having a much better season. he's also a lot more experienced.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #52
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
i reckon its B/S.

the bloke got looked over for so many years while mark taylor did crap all, then he has 1 bad season and is run out of town.. what the hell
1 bad season?! Short memory. Look at his run of scores over the last 3 seasons. Only the odd big score made it look respectable. He seemed to pull a ton out of the hat just when the tongues were wagging for him to step aside.

He was a hell of a batsmen and paired with Langer quite easily the best opening combination Australia has ever had but he put himself before the team the last few seasons and tried to hang on, IMO selfishly.

Mark Taylor was given a lot more latitude due to his captaining ability I would say. He did have a longer patch of poor scores but the team didn't suffer for it, they were still conquering all. Hayden has given us poor starts vs India and South Africa and we lose both series. I'm actually surprised he survived this long without being given the nudge.

His dominance on the field will be remembered, especially those that had to bowl at him when he was ontop of his game, but his best years are well and truly behind him and it's sad that he didn't go out on a highnote but had to be given the shoulder after 2 series losses on the trot.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 06:52 PM   #53
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of my enduring memories of him at his peak was the arrogant way he'd take guard half a meter out of his crease and walk down the pitch to club who ever was bowling back over their heads... he was a truly intimidating batsman... by ability and stature.

Old 14-01-2009, 10:06 PM   #54
Boss 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
One of my enduring memories of him at his peak was the arrogant way he'd take guard half a meter out of his crease and walk down the pitch to club who ever was bowling back over their heads... he was a truly intimidating batsman... by ability and stature.
He bludgeoned a lot of bowling attacks, may he enjoy his retirement. A sad end to a stellar career, maybe the IPL will see him playing again & flaying his detractors, as much as he flayed the bowlers.
Boss 302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 11:33 PM   #55
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Great player, had to happen sometime though.
I dont see it as a negative however, like gilly, warne, mcgrath etc. he's given years of service to his country.
His retirement is only from the aussie colours, he'll be a lot better off playing in the IPL, $$ wise and on a personal/family level.

Good luck big fella.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post