Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #31
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Could Ford ever make a Territory truck? (Hilux competitor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
I think an uber-lux spec Territory with different styling (perhaps badged as an LTD?) could be a goer, with the wick turned up on the 2.7 diesel.
The had a proposal to do a Territory LTD back when it was released in 2004, along with an RTV and turbo diesel, and turbo petrol. They could choose 2 of the four proposals and they chose the 2 turbo versions instead. TD was put on hold by Gorman half way through as you know.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #32
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

I wonder what kit they would have had in mind for a territory LTD?

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
GhiaEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #33
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Better quality Howe leather, embrodiered with LTD logo, sunroof, chrome trim etc. at a guess.
Old 31-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #34
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
One Ford doesn't allow product duplication. A Territory dual cab would be nearly an exact duplication of Ranger dual cab...
Correct. So what do you think the Ranger based SUV spin-off will mean to the future of the Territory

...and without the Territory adding production volume to the Falcon as well
Old 31-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #35
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Although in saying that, the Territory dual cab (let's call it the Ford Expedition just for shts and giggles) will have car-like handing and smoothness without the kidney smashing antics of a body on frame pickup.

But Ford simply can't splash precious R&D funds on something that has no hope of being a volume seller.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #36
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Although in saying that, the Territory dual cab (let's call it the Ford Expedition just for shts and giggles) will have car-like handing and smoothness without the kidney smashing antics of a body on frame pickup.

But Ford simply can't splash precious R&D funds on something that has no hope of being a volume seller.

Also size... The new generation of dual cabs are getting very long and would be intimidating to women to park etc. A territory dual cab with the same length but with a more versatile rear end would make a great family car during the week for mum and a family camping/fishing/Ikea delivering vehicle on the weekend.

I have started seeing Mums migrating to Tritons, Hiluxes and Rangers. A Territory Sport would blow them away for driveability. I can see dual cab recreational vehicles being eventually 1 in 5 sales in this country (up from 12%)

Offer it in diesel only, in XLT and Limited trim, 2wd and Awd.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #37
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

It's nice to dream (and why shouldn't we?) but they'd never let it happen.
But, this idea sort of reminds me of the Cadillac Escalade EXT/Chevrolet Avalanche twins. They are both huge dual cab utes ('Sport Utility trucks' for the yanks) but the rear section behind the rear seats can be folded up, window removed and seats flattened down and it turns into a longer tray ute. Really cool idea. It even has 3 removable panels that go over the rear tray.
I've only ever seen this 'convertible SUT thing' on those models though.

Shame we'll never see a 4x4 ute built here in Australia. The closest we'll ever get is the Holden/Ford ute we currently have.
BFZ Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #38
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The had a proposal to do a Territory LTD back when it was released in 2004, along with an RTV and turbo diesel, and turbo petrol. They could choose 2 of the four proposals and they chose the 2 turbo versions instead. TD was put on hold by Gorman half way through as you know.

Turbo version was the best idea ever!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #39
bigdude1011

What about dual-range AWD on the current Territory? Would be something different to the Kluger and Captiva, and would open the Territory to compete with the Prado/Challenger/Pathfinder. Then again, it would probably eat into the Everest's (I'm assuming that that's what FoA will call the Ranger 4WD) category.

Last edited by bigdude1011; 31-01-2012 at 10:32 PM. Reason: spelling
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #40
dkpioe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
And in come the wave of 'it can't be done' ers.
i agree if you put this on another subject, but for the territory, i give you a big LOL
dkpioe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #41
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
Correct. So what do you think the Ranger based SUV spin-off will mean to the future of the Territory

...and without the Territory adding production volume to the Falcon as well
Its not a direct product duplication, the Everest would be a true off roader with low range gears, good ground clearance and a seperate chassis, like Prado. The Territory is a cross over vehicle with sedan like dynamics and limited off road ability with a monoque chassis, like Kluger (except for dynamics which it doesn't have).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Turbo version was the best idea ever!
It was a good idea until petrol went over $1 a litre, thats when sales really dropped. It started off well and would have continued to do so if petrol stayed cheap.