Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-10-2009, 10:10 PM   #31
buickman
buickman

I wash and vac all the family cars once (4 cars) a week but after 3months of using the local car wash with no bucket washing between certain hours.
I installed a 5,500 litre water tank 3 days of rain and it was overflowing.
have been washing my cars at home for the last 12 months without making a career out of waiting at the car washes and no DIRTY FILTHY MUDDY 4WD”S that leave mud in the bays at cost you a dollar just to hose the mud down the drains before you start washing down your car
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 10:15 PM   #32
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mine get washed everytime they come out of the shed.often out there cleaning/polishing at midnight or later its great therapy out on your own chilling out with the radio on
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 10:28 PM   #33
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Back in 2002 - 2004 when i had my AUIII XR6 and my BA XR6 i use to wash those cars every 2nd or 3rd day.. But when water restrictions came in and we couldnt waste water I went back to weekly washing, now im so busy with work and life im lucky to wash my cars montly now.. The GT hasnt been washed for probably 2 months.. ekkk
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 10:29 PM   #34
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Yep, , Im addicted to washing my White BA, , , I have done it twice this year, , both times with a broom !
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 10:55 PM   #35
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I guess it depends on how much you like your car and how much time you make for it. Each to their own.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 11:11 PM   #36
orsm8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wash my XR at least 3 times a week. Being a black car doesnt help.
orsm8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 04:17 AM   #37
quirdan

I give it a spray and rinse whenever there's debris, like dead bugs and bird poo or any other substance that is important to remove as soon as possible.

About once a month or after a long drive that has dirtied the car significantly I'll do a proper wash to remove all the road grime/film and clean the brake dust off the alloys.

It's amazing how glossy the car looks once you remove the road film/grease/grime properly. You forget how good it can look.
quirdan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 08:52 AM   #38
nobbystang

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
Agree 100% with everything stated. Microfibre is definately the way to go.....for everything - wash mitts, polishing cloths, drying towels.....USE MICROFIBRE IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO SCRATCH YOUR CAR...
Waffle Weave Drying Towel is one of the best purchases I've made, makes drying the car so easy and being microfibre less chance of scratches

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 09:01 AM   #39
Corzza

I wash mine once a week.

If its coming down with rain I give it a hose down to get all the grime off

Race 2 Clipsal 500 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NOZvWBp4Eo

"I plucked her into first, gave it some jandal and F@#$ Yeah!" - Scott McLaughlin
Corzza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #40
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

When i can't see clearly outa the windscreen, then it gets a wash....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #41
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wash my BA weekly usually, and I am a bit with a 4" thick layer of polish on it. My other dirty little car habits are being obsessed with the cup holder thingo, the flap must be closed and it must be clean inside, no cup "goop" marks and as my car is a manual I am somewhat obsessed with the position of the stitching on the leather sock thing on the gear shift knob, also if the car is parked the steering wheel must be straight, if it is not I cant stand it.

AAH I feel better now (a little) don't you judge me damnit! I am normal my therapist says so :

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 01:42 PM   #42
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm lucky to wash my cars once every couple of months - too lazy and don't really care about aesthetics...
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #43
vandrsxr6
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
I wash my BA weekly usually, and I am a bit with a 4" thick layer of polish on it. My other dirty little car habits are being obsessed with the cup holder thingo, the flap must be closed and it must be clean inside, no cup "goop" marks and as my car is a manual I am somewhat obsessed with the position of the stitching on the leather sock thing on the gear shift knob, also if the car is parked the steering wheel must be straight, if it is not I cant stand it.

AAH I feel better now (a little) don't you judge me damnit! I am normal my therapist says so :
I do exactlly the same with my gearknob. Must run straight with no twists.

I also have to leave the stearing wheel straight. Can't stand seeing cars with the wheels at full lock when their parked. I just wanna brake in a change it.

310rwkw and always chasing more

Now with 6th Gear

RAPID PERFORMANCE

ORSM FORD CRUISER
vandrsxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 02:44 PM   #44
MGR

I didn't realise there were so many cash wash addicts. Maybe I should set up some sort of 'car wash crack house' and charge you addicts to wash my XR6T and Territory Turbo.
MGR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #45
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Thats the thing, there are 3 cars in our garage & Im only addicted to washing my OWN car. Never anyone elses. :P

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 12-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #46
FPV GT40
Banned

Wash mine whenever its dirty, no real set days...

Interior must be spotless at all times though more so than outside, will vacuum the inside several times a week if needed, as it only takes 2 minutes after work if you keep on top of it, just vac up any stray bits of dirt.

All vents must be aligned and straight, steering wheel must be straight, as well as gear knob and seat belts not twisted, no spills or dirt anywhere, especially the cup holder.

No crap around the interior either.

Every now and then I will wash the cars fully, ie wheels off on car stands, wash wheel wells, brakes, suspension, inside of rims etc etc. Its a bit of a spring clean for the car once or twice a year.

Only ever use a microfiber washing mitt to wash, with quality car wash and polishes, and microfiber towel to dry as well, only ever wash at home, never a commercial car wash or pressure hose, as these get water where it was never supposed to go, like inside diff and gearboxes, inside dizzies and even engine sumps, as they will blast water straight past any seals...

I also have 2 dedicated buckets I use for car washing only, that no one is allowed to touch or use for anything else or there will be hell to pay, and they know it

My wife recons its an illness, I say it relaxes me, I have the radio cranked up in the garage, enjoying the sunshine and the task at hand...and at the end of the day my cars always attract looks and positive comments wherever they go.

My neighbour looks at me as well like I am weired, but he is a fat slob that sits on his front step smoking and drives a $h!t box that never gets washed...so who is the weird one there :

Last edited by FPV GT40; 12-10-2009 at 03:11 PM.
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #47
blueoval
Critical Thinker

I hate it when people just say "Its just a car". They just dont understand. :togo:

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 12-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #48
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine gets a wash about once a month, proper polish etc maybe once every couple of months when the last lot has come off and water doesn't bead off the body work anymore.

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #49
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandrsxr6
I do exactlly the same with my gearknob. Must run straight with no twists.

I also have to leave the stearing wheel straight. Can't stand seeing cars with the wheels at full lock when their parked. I just wanna brake in a change it.
glad its not just me, altho I care little for the straightness of the front wheels, just the straightness of the steering wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GT40
All vents must be aligned and straight, steering wheel must be straight, as well as gear knob.
I also do this one :

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #50
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I wash mine when it needs it. Every second weekend. A good thorough inside and out clean, takes me 3-4hours.

Dirty windscreen is my pet hate. I almost lose my lolly if my windscreen is dirty.

Missus thinks I am mad, although she owns a VL =P

Oh and for those who use foaming brushes, DON'T, stop it, now.
I washed mine once with a foaming brush...never again, the paintwork suffered greatly.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 03:13 PM   #51
aannese
Starter Motor

in summer/spring ill normally wash it at least once a week but in winter only once every couple weeks caus it gets dirty straight away anyway

like others have said, I find it relaxing and look forward to doing it...
Old 12-10-2009, 03:20 PM   #52
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

my car was allways cleaned when i 1st got it in 2008 now it gets a wash maybee once a fortnight maybee longer iv gotten lazy lol it will get a 6 hour wash if there was a cruse or something
Old 12-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #53
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t

Got a mate with all the same habbits. Plus a few extra you might wanna try out if obsession is your thing:
:1. Climate control must be set at an EVEN number and strictly no HALF DEGREE increments.
:2. All vents must be in the ON position and straightened perfectly, regardless of whether or not this directs the air in the desired direction.
:3. Both front seats must be exactly parralel in position, of equal height and degree of recline.
:4. If one window is down, all others must be down the same amount (thankfully for him, he has power windows all round)

Needless to say, riding in the car with him is serious business.. I put my window down a bit.. he must adjust all others to match.. obviously i then alter my window just a bit more. So don't despair, you're certainly not alone!

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 04:52 PM   #54
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

Hay Dan289 where are you???

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 05:57 PM   #55
Chopped
as in chopped

Water restrictions cured my addiction to washing / now I couldn't be arsed !
Old 12-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #56
[JET-260]
I SMELL FRIED RICE !

i wash mine about 2-3 times a week i cant stand to see it dirty makes me sad:( haha i love knowing that when im driving its spotless in and out
FULL EXHAUST SYSTEM..TWIN 2 1/2"
[JET-260]
[JET-260] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #57
adrian302

i wash my car every saturday morning gets the full works including vacum and tyre shine i love driving a clean car also i wipe off the splash from the gaurds off my car as soon as there is a bit of dirt
adrian302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #58
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian302
i wash my car every saturday morning gets the full works including vacum and tyre shine i love driving a clean car also i wipe off the splash from the gaurds off my car as soon as there is a bit of dirt
That is also my motto. It makes me feel good, and shows others I have respect for my vehicles appearance.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 12-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #59
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

i generally wash it every weekend...with a half-arsed vacum & armor all job too

once a month (sometimes once a fortnight) it gets the full hardcore wash, wax, polish, windex, tyre black, engine degrease, heavy vacum, pull off interior panels & clean real well like you just can't get when it's fitted in the car.
I go nuts monthly. a good 5 or 6 hour car clean. I love it...play some music, drink some beer & clean my baby.
Halfmo Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #60
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I gave mine 4.5 hours worth of clay bar, polish, and wax yesterday and the result is amazing. Usually Ill give the car $3 worth of car lovers once a fortnight (just soapy pressure wash) while hand washing and quick details are well worth the effort, I just dont have the time to 'go the whole hog' week in week out.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post