Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-02-2006, 03:42 PM   #31
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
mum said that spoon was as old as my brother (37 at the time). I cracked up laughing, so did the kids... I tried not to but couldnt help it.
The bloody things break too easy :

Well apparently they just aren't made for smacking on to other things.. not even ones made 'all those years ago' :
You do realise you lost all credibility with the kids the moment you started to laugh... :
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 03:54 PM   #32
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Casper, I know how that couch felt. I've had one or two break on me!

I was hit (nothing major), wooden spoons when the open slap didn't solve the problem. I've grown up fine. Well, sorta fine.

The problem is, if they take too long to give parents the rights back it's gonna be too late. What would the majority of teenagers know about respect? You've gotta know it to teach it.

God help the teacher who tells my kids their rights. If my kids want to play by adults rules they can damn well go to prision when they stuff up. At this rate I won't be having any for their own sake.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 04:12 PM   #33
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when my youngest girl was 11 she started acting like a little turd (Terrible Twelves)stayed like that for 4 years where my eldest girl played up for around a year when she was 12 to 13,anyway the young one came home 4 hours late with family and friends searching the streets for her,when my wife told her off she said My Teacher said if you hit me i will tell Police and you will be locked up,so my wife slapped her in the face harder than i had ever seen and told her to go show her teacher and tell her that the next slap was for teacher,that was the end of any trouble for the next 3 years.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 04:23 PM   #34
KEV EB XR8
XR8 v Lee. love you Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
I won't be having any for their own sake.
If you have a child, you will be a rich man :ymca:

Dont let all this deter you from children, they are the greatest gift after all.

As original from showroom floor with all options
Additions - Pacemakers turbo400 3" exhaust
Custom cai prototype No 4
Stage 1 shift kit with neck brace
Still to come DIVORCE
KEV EB XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 04:37 PM   #35
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
Well apparently they just aren't made for smacking on to other things.. not even ones made 'all those years ago' :
You do realise you lost all credibility with the kids the moment you started to laugh... :
meh, credability was lost that night when I picked it up and saw them look at me in shock.. I started to laugh then and was desperatly holding it in.. they already knew I was losing it by the time it went snap. Only person upset at the end was mum (and what was left of her spoon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas
when my youngest girl was 11 she started acting like a little turd (Terrible Twelves)stayed like that for 4 years where my eldest girl played up for around a year when she was 12 to 13,anyway the young one came home 4 hours late with family and friends searching the streets for her,when my wife told her off she said My Teacher said if you hit me i will tell Police and you will be locked up,so my wife slapped her in the face harder than i had ever seen and told her to go show her teacher and tell her that the next slap was for teacher,that was the end of any trouble for the next 3 years.
A moment of pain (I know your wife would have been devistated all night and you would have copped it too... that how it works, how we cope) for 3 years of pleasure. Who knows, that slap may have saved you from having a 14 year old mother on your hands. You just never know. Certainly didnt "scar her for life" I'm betting.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 06:29 PM   #36
shane3
FPV GT 0915

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
shane3: The drink is never a good thing. Sounds like she's an alcoholic. Alco's aren't people you want around especially at a wedding. I know my wifes biological father is an alco and so were 2 of my grandparents.
Because of her being an alcoholic, my wife and I had a dry wedding, but some of Chris’s friends brought there own alcohol and mum found it :
The wedding ceremony was at 3.30 (15min) and (the party) was ment to go until 8pm, buy 5 pm she was starting to cause trouble so my sister had to take her home.
On my 18th B'day we (dad, mum, sister and myself) were asked to leave the comedy club because she (mum) was drunk and causing trouble with the staff and other patrons.
I have grown up with her like this since I was 7yo and she still won't admit that she has a problem, she will drink untill the day she dies it's as simple as that.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 06:48 PM   #37
Gunns
Banned

Gowing up with a military back ground, kept me inline. I am sure I was taught to eat, drink and ИИИИ by the numbers.
I dare not step out of line and today I look at my cousins that have been brought up in the 2K generation and they get away blue murder. If I dare speek back to my parents it would have copped a hand accross my ***.
As soon as the kid knows all you have is an empty threat, your gone!
The sooner the rights of the perant are restored to bring up their child as they see fit the better!
Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 07:57 PM   #38
Penelope Pitstop
Can't get enough of this.

Location: Standing on the driveway sobbing because I don't have a PINK ute anymore :0(

My parents believed in instilling a healthy fear into us.

We were smacked if we misbehaved but only if we were really bad or did something to jeopardise our safety and I don’t think it harmed my brother and I at all. We respected our parents enormously, still do – my parents would give us “the look” and we would know to settle down or else….

If we were being really naughty all my Mum would have to do is count… 1, 2 ….. and we would bolt – she never belted the living daylights out of us but the threat was there and that was enough to have us running down to the back of the farm.

My Dad didn’t use the counting method he would simply say – Do I have to get my belt… the ones with nails and razors on it…. Now neither my brother nor I ever saw this belt that was apparently in the back of the wardrobe – we were never even sure it truly existed but the mere mention of it would make our knees shake and have us behaving ourselves in record time. My Dad still insists that belt is hidden in the back of the wardrobe and that we aren’t too big now for him to use it on us if we are too cheeky! :voldar02:

If I ever breed I will adopt this method of child rearing as I think it is the only way that works.
Penelope Pitstop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 09:40 PM   #39
FordFan86
meow

I'm in a similar position to brenx, and agree with what he and other's have said here...
I was hit as a kid, if i did something wrong... I knew about it pretty damn quick (usually the leather belt) It got to the point where my old man would go to talk his belt off and that would be enough for me to have learnt a lesson. I remember being made to sit in my room for hours on end for screwing up. My twin sisters where also brought up in a similar way, tho they didn't get hit as often. I also had several wooden spoons broken over my legs/arms by my mother if i did something bad enough...
My mum wouldn't hit me now because i'm twice her size (and I'm 19 lol) and I have enough respect for her and my father (who's twice my size) for the way they brought me up to respect authority and know what's what...
My 3 youngest sisters however, rarely, rarely get hit (ages 8-13) And there is a major attitude difference between the youngest 3 kids and the oldest 3 kids in the family. In my opinion this is the cause of the hollow threats that is yelling and swearing which is all they get. I think my parents have gone soft in their age and this is showing in the way my youngest 3 sisters have been raised, they back chat and do not do as they are told... when I was young that was a good enough reason for a quick slapping and I soon learnt.
I've rambled on a bit here... so in short..
I beleive parents have had way too many rights taken from them. Look at all the kids with no respect for anything or anyone, you can guarantee they where never hit as kids... or in extreme cases they may have been hit to much (read: abused)
IF I have kids they will be brought up the same way I was, and ИИИИ whichever government official tells me how and what I can and can not do.
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 10:13 PM   #40
phoon
BOLLOCKS

"Wait till your father gets home" is what kids in my family used to get told, and boy did we s#it ourselves, the anticipation of waiting till he got home, was far worse than the smack he used to give us, in fact the smack was a relief.
phoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 10:42 PM   #41
Decadentia

My childhood was pretty much the same, Only ever remeber physically being hit once or twice by my dad, It only took intimidation all the other times. If I ever have any kids it's the same way they will be brought up, A healthy respect for everyone, Including themselves.

Sometimes I wake up and can't believe that this country, which is supposed to be a democracy, Is run by people who're of the notion that the population need to be hearded with rules as if we are sheep, as we're obviously not able to make sound decisions about how we carry ourselves in life.
Decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 05:54 PM   #42
vanessa0305

Parents today as so afraid of the law (as we were brought up to have respect for the law) and we find ourselves unable to discipline our children and yet are criticized for having kids with no respect. I have 4 children and after a long talk with my parents over the pros and con's of giving a child a well deserved smack I decided (with a nine year old son giving cheek) that a good smack the next time he gave lip would do him the world of good. It was a hard decision to make..if he went and told his teacher we could get charged with assault. But to have a nine year old boy being disrespectful is not on. I did what I had to and so did my husband but it gave us a lot of sleepless nights over it. Since we have made the decision to give a smack when the kids are being naughty our 3 year old has pulled up his socks...My husband tells him he will have a hot bottom if he doesn't do as his told..I count to 3!
vanessa0305 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 01:32 AM   #43
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kids need discipline....its called hard loving...it works.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 01:49 AM   #44
Kapn_Kiwi
It is hard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirtekGirl76
If we were being really naughty all my Mum would have to do is count… 1, 2 ….. and we would bolt – she never belted the living daylights out of us but the threat was there and that was enough to have us running down to the back of the farm.
My Mum didn't know what she'd do if she ever got to 1 (She counted down from 10)
My parents only had to smack me for a short while. Then they got onto the threats. Once I got too big, they'd instilled enough respect in me, and were casual enough normally, that I knew the rules. And I also knew that if I constantly broke them, there'd be repercussions. If I pushed past them a little because I thought a rule was silly, they don't actually mind too much. Because at least I'm not as bad as they were.
Old 24-02-2006, 06:28 PM   #45
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoon
"Wait till your father gets home" is what kids in my family used to get told, and boy did we s#it ourselves, the anticipation of waiting till he got home, was far worse than the smack he used to give us, in fact the smack was a relief.
Oh god you just brought back a lot of memories from my childhood I had forgotten! What you explained above is word for word how I would have described every second day of my childhood lol. It was much easier when the old man was present and you could cop it and move on...
stockel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post