Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-01-2006, 07:26 PM   #31
Tiga_EL
Banned

Apparently all of the people who got injured have been released from hospital now... But still with people doing that kind of stuff on gravel or whatever it was, i sure as hell wouldnt be standing behind a fence of that kind.. Prolly concrete barriers or something at least.
Tiga_EL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 07:28 PM   #32
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They need the grog banned. I saw guys at 9 am walking around with plastic cups filled with beer. Get rid of the alchol, and I'm sure a majority of the losers would stay at home.

I guess maybe its difficult for them as Jack Daniels bought the Jac Daniels bar truck. Carlton Draught had their truck with their bar.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 07:31 PM   #33
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just saw the report on the news,they say that all the injured are OK and have all been released from hospital. What i'd like to know is why they had drift cars on a trooting track in the first place.Drifting is a motorsport and should be kept on the racetrack where it normally is. I hope they kick the organisers ИИИИ big time, cause they thoroughly deserve it.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 07:35 PM   #34
trikee
overdriven

i was there myself. IMHO, i think its the driver of the utes responsiblity to have driven to the conditions and his own capabilities. i dont know whether he was trying to prove a point or what but after he lost it the first time he should've backed off for the rest of the show.
i saw the whole thing and well yeah it shouldn't be put on the entrants shoulders. it was a promotional thing that CAPA, Chic Henry and other promoters need to look at for future reference.
trikee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 07:36 PM   #35
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
They need the grog banned. I saw guys at 9 am walking around with plastic cups filled with beer. Get rid of the alcohol, and I'm sure a majority of the losers would stay at home.

I guess maybe its difficult for them as Jack Daniels bought the Jac Daniels bar truck. Carlton Draught had their truck with their bar.
I agree with you there Buck. But this is where Chick Henry needs to look at what he has at stake. The greater majority would love to see this event go down ( me included ) as for the alcohol i think the drink companys should take some of the blame for the way some of the spectators behave don't you think. I know the ACT have been looking for a reason to give this one the flick.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 07:36 PM   #36
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I too will not go to Summernats because of the amount of drunken idiots who harrasse people especially good looking women. What's weird is that for a long time now the message of many road safety advertisements has been alcohol and cars don't mix, yet an event specifically focussing on cars, facillitates alcohol consumption.

The only reason IMO they banned BYO grog is so they could make more money otherwise they would ban it completely.

Back on topic now, I just saw the story on the news and to me it didn't look as bad as it's has been made out to be but then again people were hurt and as much as possible has to be done if the event is to go ahead.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 07:36 PM   #37
Barry_v
rocknrolla

I didnt drink at all when I went... beer in a paper cup isnt to my tastes. it is a shame that the event is spoiled by drunks.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 07:38 PM   #38
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to know the boys and anyone esle injured is alright. I agree drifting is for the track and track only.
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 07:45 PM   #39
trikee
overdriven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
those 2 trucks weren't selling anything. i was actually in the carlton draught truck talking to the guy in there and for legal reasons and promotional legal reasons, they werent aloowed to sell either product. so they cant be blamed,

its the little cafes and bars around the the whole grounds that open early and the VB Bar opens at 10am so its fairly early to start drinking.

i dont like the drunkeness myself as i was down there with 5 other entrants and cruising around in the cars with drunken idiots cramming up against the car isnt good. needless to say we did end up running over several feet and got verbally abused for it but what else can you do. others did however move out of the way when they saw peoples feet getting run over..
Old 08-01-2006, 07:47 PM   #40
trikee
overdriven

the injured people are however, released from hospital are doing fine
Old 08-01-2006, 08:04 PM   #41
Sundeep
Banned

My first Summernats and I have to say, it wasn't all too bad, except for the rip-off entry fee and crackdown on standstills around the outside path.

I was directly across from where the ute hit and we went over to have a look afterwards. It was an accident waiting to happen, but for the people in the firing line, they probably had at least 20 seconds to move. You could tell the safety factor wasn't there when the ute driver's weren't wearing helmets and looked liked they'd been picked for the stunt straight from Thomastown maccers.

Either way, it wasn't good enough. Small cyclone fencing with a big crowd behind and a ~1200kg ute drifiting at speeds up to 80 kays in front don't mix.

I probably won't be going back.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 08:08 PM   #42
EB_5.0_WAGON
Formerly known as NUDGE

Everyone is blaming the CAPA cars for drifting on a gravel trotting track.

The way i see it (and i know im going to get blasted for saying this) is that.

1. The drivers should have had a lot more practice and training to drift on gravel.

2. Drifting cars on GRAVEL is what the old HDT Stunt drivers( Stormriders i think they call themself now) have been doing for about the last 20 odd years with no major accidents that i can ever recall.

3. If the drivers had the same level of training as the Stormrider drivers this would NEVER have happened as the guys driving the stormrider cars are all EX RALLY drivers who have had years of experience drifting cars on gravel.

In my opinion i think they should have at least provided those water filled barriers around the outside of the track area just as a safety precaution and im amazed they didnt have them.

As far as the drinking inside summernats is concerned i am in total agreement with everyone else in that alcohol should be banned totally from the event and anyone caught drinking alcohol or who appears to be drunk should be removed from the premisis immediately.
2004 Toyota Prado GXL
EB_5.0_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 08:18 PM   #43
Brutus
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nudge
In my opinion i think they should have at least provided those water filled barriers around the outside of the track area just as a safety precaution and im amazed they didnt have them.
Likewise, I'm surprised that there was no safety barriers inplace. During the ROC (Rally Of Canberra) when a SS is run on the same trotting track, many of those water filled barriers are placed around the track, just in case.

Why wasn't it the case during this event?

IMHO a supercharged V-8 ute on dirt is an accident waiting to happen!
Brutus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 08:20 PM   #44
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

Just back from the nats, I was in the middle getting phoptographs when it happened (media passes rock!)

It seemed that the ute was pushed high on the bowl by the other ute trying to overtake it, and in doing so lost it and went thru the fence. There should have been no overtaking allowed, nor should it have been done with only a flimsy wire fence... there has got to be a lot of concrete bollards left from the gmc 400 that could have been used around the outside to add a decent level of safety...

for mine the biggest dissapointment about the deal was chic henry on the PA system reminding people about the disclaimers about motorsport being dangerous on the back of their tickets....

Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 08:20 PM   #45
Yellow Fire
Cleveland Powered

I was there so I'll throw my 2c in with the others. I don't really see what booze or hoons have to do with what happened with the ute. The CAPA boys were supposed to be professional drivers. Everyone around me had trouble understanding why they were going so fast in the first place. Part of being a professional is knowing your limits. Sure it would have been safer with a better fence, but the only one to blame for the crash was the guy behind the wheel.

With regards to the rest of the event, I'd say Friday & Saturday nights were some of the quietest I've ever seen there. Security didn't hesitate to close the cruise route early if they thought things were getting out of hand.
Yellow Fire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 08:28 PM   #46
Steffo
LPG > You

It was my first summernats ever... I went on thursday and friday with a mate who entered some airbrush work for frinday's airbrush comp. Didn't see much on Thursday... but at about 5pm on Friday afternoon... just near where the dominos pizza thing was... there were a bunch of girls flashing their tits... and LOTS of drunk morons being... morons.

Ban alcohol and it would be a 100000000000000000000000000x better event. Drunk bogans + stupid bogans + other drunk idiots = not good. I'd go again... but... only to see some cars and then leave.

Summernats has NOTHING on a round of V8 Supercars or ANDRA Nitro Champs if you ask me. And I'm pretty damn sure that a Formula 1 round would be a whole lot better too.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 08:33 PM   #47
Choca
Falcon Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickin
yes.. we were there, seen it happen unfortunatly...
It was the CAPA stunt show...
There was 2 CAPA utes and the Drift Monaro doing drifting displays on the dirt area after teh supercruise and they pretty much couldnt do it on the dirt... they lost it a few times and then one just lost it and ploughed straight through the wire fence and into the crowd (not good at all) and at the speed they were going it was always gunna happen... it was really dangerous... dont know how they allowed it in the first place!!!
ИИИИ off! they were doing like 80 at the most and thier professionals, it was just an unfortunate accident, comments like yours hurts the summernats. Sh1t happens it was bad and I hope the 4 people are ok but I don't think it was anymore dangerous than the stunt dude going around the track on two wheels, did you see how close he was coming to the fence personally i would prefer the get a bump from a ute then have a corolla land on me.
Choca is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 08:37 PM   #48
Choca
Falcon Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
This event has been getting further and further away from its roots every year! I hear "Death Bells" for all Summernats driving events soon!

A small boy injured, Disgraceful!

Any new news about his condition?
You too! take a look at the pic, that fence is to fifths of F#ck all and he has only just gone through it! Death Bells my ИИИИ, the media just makes it look worse than it is. Plain and simple accident!
Old 08-01-2006, 08:40 PM   #49
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choca
ИИИИ off! they were doing like 80 at the most and thier professionals.

there not that professiona if ИИИИ like that happens when it could have clearly been avoided
Old 08-01-2006, 08:42 PM   #50
Choca
Falcon Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSMXR
Mate if you have been before l think they came out just after the supercruise sp thats why the kids a so close to the fence and to be honest what they where doind was very unsafe at anytime as the fence is only a little waist high cyclone fence.....

At the end of the day this just gives the Government more ammo to cann the event once and for all as they have been trying to shut it down now for the past 5 years.....
They won't can it, it brings to much money into the nation. "They've"never tried to shut it down on individuals and groups have
Old 08-01-2006, 08:44 PM   #51
Choca
Falcon Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_XC
there not that professiona if ИИИИ like that happens when it could have clearly been avoided
Mate everyone makes mistakes, the bloke did well to not launch right into the crowd
Old 08-01-2006, 08:46 PM   #52
Choca
Falcon Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
yeah, i was bein stupid, i know why the kids were so close, i havebeen once, and i am NEVER going again!!

It will probaly be shut down soon, a few mre little things like this and it will!

( fingers crossed )
Mate just because you don't like it doesn't mean it should be clossed down, if you don't like it then don't go!
Old 08-01-2006, 08:47 PM   #53
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Dont know why people are blaming the drivers, its a stunt show, alot of people come to these EXPECTING crashes!

The only two issues that were obvious was the driving etiquette eg. overtaking shouldnt have been alowed

and the fact that they were using a chain link fence for protection WTF how could noone see this as a serious OH&S issue?

Even in DriftNats at Calder where there was a 2 metre high concrete wall the spectators still werent allowed to stand at that big surve into the stage lanes.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 08:48 PM   #54
Choca
Falcon Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
The sooner they can this event the better, it's not about the vehicle's anymore, like other's have said this is a slow dying event.
Yeah mate thats why hundreds of thousands of people go every year dying event my ИИИИ
Old 08-01-2006, 08:52 PM   #55
Choca
Falcon Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikGan
I was also there, only meters from where it came through the fence. The car didnt really get that far through the fence to tell ya the truth, the front wheels only just got over the gutter under the fence, it was the horizontal pipe elements of the fence that went into the crowd.

There were 3 cars performing the stunts, 1 car seemed VERY in control and aVERY good driver display, while the other 2 didnt seem as confident, infact the accident happened when the capable drive tried to drift under one of the lesser drivers on the last turn before the stadium straight.

I think there might have been something to say for the skills of the driver in question but hypothetically if all 3 drivers displayed the skill of the one good one, there would be very little chance of there being an accident, all be it theres alway a small chance.

Friday and friday night are good still, and sunday is GREAT, its basically the best of the best all day. Saturday during the day is just fine also, saturday night, well... I can see what everyones on about, but its just like a small city, if you walk down dark alleys you might get into touble and thats the same at the nats there are areas that are obviously less safe than others, less lighting, less staff, more hoons, but if u stay clear of those places (if thats not your thing) and stay around the main ground and the pavilions then you'll be right, I always think it gets a bad beat up. Ive only been the last 4 years now but I still think its a good show, and I even take the misses I think its that safe.
Thank you finally someone who can tell it how it really is
Old 08-01-2006, 08:53 PM   #56
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Choca man god dam stop flaming ppl. there giving there view ok, if u dont like what they have to say live with it.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:57 PM   #57
Yellow Fire
Cleveland Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choca
Mate just because you don't like it doesn't mean it should be clossed down, if you don't like it then don't go!
This sums up my thoughts on Summernats. I'm not having a go at anyone, but it's been around for 19 years now so most people know what it's about.

Our campsite & the surrounding 5 or 6 were full of families having a great time. We catch up every year, talk about cars, share a BBQ, test our driving skills on the grass, & check out all the events. There's plenty of other car events on during the year if Summernats isn't for you.
Yellow Fire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 08:58 PM   #58
Choca
Falcon Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_XC
Choca man god dam stop flaming ppl. there giving there view ok, if u dont like what they have to say live with it.
And i'm giving mine is it a crime. I find it really annoying when people pass comment when the have no real back ground on the subject
Old 08-01-2006, 08:59 PM   #59
Choca
Falcon Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fire
This sums up my thoughts on Summernats. I'm not having a go at anyone, but it's been around for 19 years now so most people know what it's about.

Our campsite & the surrounding 5 or 6 were full of families having a great time. We catch up every year, talk about cars, share a BBQ, test our driving skills on the grass, & check out all the events. There's plenty of other car events on during the year if Summernats isn't for you.
Thank you
Old 08-01-2006, 09:12 PM   #60
335JET
@jas_23_

i was there at the summernats and i saw the accident happen, it was about 150m from where i was so i saw it all quite clearly.
the driver driving the v8 supercar like monaro was definately a pro, however the the drivers driving the ss utes must have never driven on gravel before, they were very average. both of them had lost it before the accident had occurd. the fences were useless, and the guy on the speaker system tried to make the crowd ignore what had happened buy getting the crowd to do the mexican wave.
there was no thought of safety what so ever
335JET is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post