Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-04-2010, 08:39 PM   #31
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
Thank you for your post. It's good to get some feedback that isn't of a smartass nature, and actually offers some insight into the debate as apposed to nothing. I can definitly see your point by the way, these options would add cost. But their marketability is greater.

I suppose all I can really say is have a look at what the top spec Mondeo Titanium or XR5T has and compare it with the G6E Turbo. It makes the Falcon seem quite old hat.
i have sat in a mondeo ,i like the interior, i would say its almost pretty lol , that said i think big falcon has a pretty good interior (i still prefer the falcon overall), but i see your point,
back on topic, the power upgrade in the commy v6, it might go ok but i don`t think it it will help the economy of this engine(and economy is their selling poit) that already needs to be reved to make torque, if it needs to go out 5100 rpm for max torque, i think i`d be using it for a boat anchor.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #32
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1183
As far as I'm aware, the 200kw rule is still in for all states, IE. if it makes more then 200kw regardless of weight it is classed as a performance 6 and is banned.
Not here in Victoria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
125kw/ton still exists in Victoria, as well as no V8/turbo rule.
Fortunately, it doesn't, it went out with the new rules in 2007 or with the introduction of turbo exemptions last year.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 10:41 PM   #33
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Won't happen. The manufacturers (FCAI) have already stated their case and made the government aware of the lead times required to engineer the cars for future emissions targets and the costs involved.

2012 is too short a time frame.
Its always confused me as to why passenger cars are trailing behind the truck & bus industry in regards as to when new emissions/noise standards apply...

Ie: EURO4 for trucks was 1st Jan 2008, and we go to EURO5 on 1st Jan 2011...

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 11:01 PM   #34
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Won't happen. The manufacturers (FCAI) have already stated their case and made the government aware of the lead times required to engineer the cars for future emissions targets and the costs involved.

2012 is too short a time frame.
I wouldn't be so sure, the government is pressing forward with harmonization of Euro specification
including emission regulations. Most manufacturers make vehicles in other regions where
these regs are already in place or even tougher like US Tier 2 Bin 5 regs.

I think there will be concessions granted but Ford in particular has been at the forefront of
stalling on Euro III and Euro IV.So it's not surprising they balk at Euro V and VI, I believe
Holden's engines already comply to Euro VI especially the V6 engines.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 11:17 PM   #35
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deco28
Wrong. Camaro is on regular.
GM recommends Premium fuel for Camaro SIDI, you can use regular but it won't make optimum horsepower.

It is not the same tune as Commodore SIDI - that engine is tuned for regular.
Old 13-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #36
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

A HUD would be a nice touch; the '94 Nissan Bluebird SSS had it and it was very handy.

It's a good selling point.
Old 13-04-2010, 03:16 PM   #37
Deco28

I reckon the Commodore will have HUD. They've has in there R&D subpage on their website for years.
Deco28 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #38
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Camaro V6 not for Commodore

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2577040017D37E

Quote:
Revised outputs for North America’s Commodore-based Camaro not relevant to Oz

13 April 2010

By MARTON PETTENDY

CHEVROLET has announced increased performance outputs for its 2011 Camaro V6 in North America, but don’t expect the changes to lead to an upgrade for GM Holden’s Commodore V6 in Australia any time soon.

The Australian designed and engineered Camaro coupe is based on the same large rear-drive Zeta chassis architecture that underpins Holden’s VE Commodore and both cars also share the same direct-injection SIDI 3.6-litre version of GM’s global V6.

News that GM will commence production of an upgraded 2011 version of the Camaro – which will include a more powerful 230kW-plus V6 variant – at its Oshawa plant in Canada from June 7 has led to speculation a more powerful 3.6-litre V6 could also be on the cards for the Commodore.

However, Holden has confirmed that the V6 Camaro’s revised power outputs, which are based on North America’s new SAE certification testing regime, apply only to the Camaro V6, which has produced maximum power of 227kW since launch.

Thanks to different engine calibration, that’s already significantly more than the 210kW output, as measured by the ECE standard now common in Australia, of the SIDI 3.6 V6 that debuted in the MY10 Commodore released in September last year.

GM says that, according to the voluntary J2723 SAE power and torque certification procedure, which Chevrolet is the first brand to employ, the 2011 Camaro V6 outputs will be officially rated at 312 horsepower (233kW) at 6500rpm and 278lb-ft (377Nm) of torque at 5100rpm.

That’s 8hp (6kW) and 5lb-ft (7Nm) more than the 2010 Camaro V6 and a significant increase on the Commodore’s 210kW/350Nm 3.6 V6, which produces its peak power and torque figures at much lower 6400 and 2900rpm engine speeds.

GM acknowledges it under-quoted the official output of the 2010 Camaro V6, which is now listed as being more powerful despite undergoing no mechanical changes.

“The 304 horsepower in the 2010 Camaro was actually a conservative rating on our end,” said GM V6 chief engineer Tom Sutter. “But we knew already that this award-winning engine produced at least the amount of power we stated, but now we’ve gone the extra step in certifying the engine for this application and have verified an additional eight horsepower.”

While the upgrade in the Camaro V6’s power output is therefore of little relevance to the Commodore’s six-month-old SIDI 3.6, Holden also says new 2011 Camaro features such as a head-up display and lime-green ‘Synergy’ exterior paint will also remain specific to the North American market.

As we’ve reported, a number of the Camaro’s lurid paint colours are similar to those worn previously by Australia’s Commodore, but so far there is no confirmation Australia’s favourite car will also wear the Camaro’s Synergy hue, which has been expanded from limited-edition status to be available across the 2011 Camaro line-up.

The lime-green colour scheme, which will be a $US325 ($A351) option across the 2011 Camaro range, first appeared on the Camaro Synergy Special Edition at North America’s largest aftermarket show in Las Vegas last year.

“When we looked at the overwhelmingly positive reaction we received from SEMA attendees and consumers on Synergy Green, making the colour available across the board was pretty much a no-brainer,” said Camaro marketing manager John Fitzpatrick.

The 2011 Camaro’s new head-up display – only the second system of its type to appear in a Chevrolet model – displays a range of more easily viewed information to the driver, including vehicle speed, engine speed, mileage, automatic gear position, compass, outside air temperature, satellite-navigation, audio and phone functions, turn signals, high-bean indicator and other vehicle messages.

“Head-up display has been a very frequent customer request,” said Camaro product manager Cheryl Pilcher. “People familiar with the HUD system simply love it. It truly enables drivers to keep their eyes on the road.”

The Camaro – recently named Best Car Design of the Year – has out-paced GM’s own sales and profit forecasts since it was launched in the US in April last year by attracting more than 80,000 US customers.

That’s almost double the number of Commodore sedans and utes sold in Australia in 2009, allowing the Camaro to easily out-sell its most direct North American rivals in Ford’s Mustang and the Dodge Challenger.

“We are pleased with Camaro’s success in the market during its first year of production,” said US vice-president of Chevrolet marketing Jim Campbell. “The 2010 model year has been a banner year for us and we plan to build on this momentum.”
Old 13-04-2010, 08:39 PM   #39
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

How surprising this report ^^ has come out. As if the original report EVER had any chance of providing useful info....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #40
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
How surprising this report ^^ has come out. As if the original report EVER had any chance of providing useful info....
....and the Mustang V6 is still quicker - fancy that

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 10:05 PM   #41
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inducted_Breeze
A HUD would be a nice touch; the '94 Nissan Bluebird SSS had it and it was very handy.

It's a good selling point.
A had a '94 Bluebird LX which didn't have the HUD. Apart from that and the stereo, they were mechanically identical. Excellent car, but boot entry was tiny.

Anyway, the HUD fitted windscreen was $3-4,000 if it needed replacing. That alone was enough to make for a big difference in premiums. Probably cheaper with todays tech, but i just see it really as a bit of a rhymes with crank...

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #42
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Camaro V6 not for Commodore

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2577040017D37ECamaro to easily out-sell its most direct North American rivals in Ford’s Mustang and the Dodge Challenger.
Well, the tables have since been turned with the new 2011 year model 3.7L & 5.0L Mustangs having significant waiting times and production spike. YTD Camaro is holding a small lead, but by years end Mustang will once again be on top.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 12:05 AM   #43
Deco28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
....and the Mustang V6 is still quicker - fancy that
Meh, all to do with the weights of the cars and more aggressive gearing for the tested Mustangs I believe.

Mustang is 300lbs lighter???
Old 14-04-2010, 12:49 AM   #44
CobraJet351

Quote:
Not Fords problem
CobraJet351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 01:12 AM   #45
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Being lighter than the competitor and using that as an advantage is neither a bad thing nor a reason to talk down fords product. Just good engineering really.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 07:14 AM   #46
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deco28
Meh, all to do with the weights of the cars and more aggressive gearing for the tested Mustangs I believe.

Camaro V6 is 3800 lbs, roughly the same weight as Commodore SV6...
Mustang V6 is 3500 lbs, 300 lbs lighter than Falcon XR6

There's a lot to think about in those two statistics...
Of course the Mustang wins, it's lighter because it's not based on a sedan...
Old 14-04-2010, 09:00 AM   #47
Outback
Banned

Quote:
What will all the bogan p-platers do??
They will stick to driving Fords like they have always been doing.
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 09:25 AM   #48
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback
Thought crummydores were "the ********" for p platers.. well in sydney anyhows...
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #49
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

LOL, your seriously mistaken if you think Bogans only drive Commodores, they drive any cheap powerful car they can get their hands on. Commodores, Falcons, Valiants, skylines, even V6 (and 4 cyl) Magnas now.

In fact these days you also have the Ecobogan, who get around in their share of 4 cyl small pot machines. A lot of the time they would be ford Lasers and Telstars to with the odd Daewoo, and corolla in the mix.

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 10:16 AM   #50
Chopped
as in chopped

^ With honesty like that you must be a troll !
------

The New Mustang V6 and V8s are doing some impressive numbers. I think I read a 12.7 1/4mile for the NA V8 !.

Camaro is a fatty ! (looks nice though and makes a cool transformer)
Old 14-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #51
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

2012 news headlines: "GM underquotes Camaro output AGAIN, announces mechanically-unchanged 241kW V6 engine...."

Are we going to see Holden make a press release that their 3.6 SIDI was underquoted, and is actually good for 216kW?

Lukeyson
Old 14-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #52
Deco28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraJet351
Not Fords problem
I was just saying that as someone seemed to be implying because of the time differences, Ford's V6 is better then Gm's.
Old 14-04-2010, 06:19 PM   #53
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback
Yet you drive a Holden.