Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-04-2010, 01:20 PM   #31
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

without wider and stickier rear tyres, all of this supercharged V8 power is wasted.
Ford really need to fix this, it's responsible for those bad launches and ordinary times against Holden V8s.

And while they're at it fix those darned diff bushes and skinny axles that are prone to stick slip.
They're not a problem now but when you get a good blown engine hanging of them, look out
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #32
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
without wider and stickier rear tyres, all of this supercharged V8 power is wasted.
Ford really need to fix this, it's responsible for those bad launches and ordinary times against Holden V8s.

And while they're at it fix those darned diff bushes and skinny axles that are prone to stick slip.
They're not a problem now but when you get a good blown engine hanging of them, look out
Pretty sure the tyre issue is being sorted. Have read about 9" or 9.5" wheels on this forum several times.

Whole driveline and all bushes will need a serious overhaul if the numbers I've heard are true.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 01:46 PM   #33
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

While i understand what you're trying to say the fact remains the G6ET can get high 12's, yes albeit with all the stars aligned, right air temp on a sticky track etc with a single spinner diff through the factory 245's...
So "traction issues" are a complex mix of circumstances..

There's more to it than just tyre width, the suspension geometry will also dictate how it puts its power down..
Better compounds, better ratios and better rear suspension geometry will help.. not just 1 element in isolation...

Old 07-04-2010, 01:55 PM   #34
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
There's more to it than just tyre width, the suspension geometry will also dictate how it puts its power down..
Better compounds, better ratios and better rear suspension geometry will help.. not just 1 element in isolation...
If you couldn't change anything else, the wider tyres would certainly help a bunch.
They did for Holden..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #35
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you couldn't change anything else, the wider tyres would certainly help a bunch.
They did for Holden..
They'd make bugger all difference if they used the same compound as they currently do....
The person controlling the right pedal will dictate how much traction they do or don't have...

Old 07-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #36
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

They could just add it as an option, or make a set of really good street tyres standard on the XR and FPV series?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #37
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR
I'M glad the xr8 is getting blown not na. But 315kw is a bit soft the gt need to be 350-375. The new Nissan patrol has 300kw. Working on scale the fpv shold have 450kw.
Once again , like 4Vman has said people place to much emphasis on number's "badged".
Even if the Patrol has 300kw, ask yourself, do you see a Nissan Patrol outdoing or blowing away a XR8 powered coyote ???.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 05:19 PM   #38
magoo66
JAFO

Quote:
The GT is not 315kw.. the XR8 is, have you ever driven a 450kw car?
Oh.. and the new Nissan patrol is 180kw....
Yeah, (a mate's Camaro 450rwkw) they're a lot of fun!!!
magoo66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 05:43 PM   #39
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo66
Probably not a lot of fun for FoMoCo to engineer to a sufficiently high standard without them spending time in the Ford Service Centres undergoing warranty repairs though
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 08:44 PM   #40
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The power figures just don't add up...
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #41
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

a few questions have been popping up in my head of late, and one of those was this: with a fairly exponential curve upwards of power from early 90's to now(read: V8's starting around the 160kw mark and progressively gaining more as the years go on, 200 by mid AU, then T series 220 and 250, XR8 260 and XR6T 245, F6 270 GT 290, then swap those high numbers for even higher ones, 310 and 315, 302 for the specials, and 290 and 270 become the norm for lower spec) how long is it before they just can't make anymore power? i dont think theyre going to "run out of puff" so to speak. you can make monstrous power if you want. but Gov wont let them and at some stage, economically, it will not be viable. the constant upgrading of transmissions and drivelines, researching new and improved bushes and the like, will mean that these peak power and torque figures should plateau at some point...shouldn't they? far be it from me to hope that they do in the near future...i'd love to see a production car built in Aus with 500kw in 10 years time...but surely its going to be stopped at some point?

point two, and that is, while reading an old street machines magazine, it had a bit on 9inch alloy diffs for VT and VX commodores. swap em over, retain the IRS etc and you have a bullet proof diff assembly. should ford research a 9inch alloy diff to slot into the control blade IRS to make it a nice strong diff for the power upgrades planned from factory for coyote? and beyond?(probably a bit late for FGII release.) the units i was reading IIRC where around 5500 bucks. now, if that was a cost spread throughout the cost of the whole car, then obviously bulk buying power or whatever, would reduce the cost further...well, is this a good idea??
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 09:19 PM   #42
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
a few questions have been popping up in my head of late, and one of those was this: with a fairly exponential curve upwards of power from early 90's to now(read: V8's starting around the 160kw mark and progressively gaining more as the years go on, 200 by mid AU, then T series 220 and 250, XR8 260 and XR6T 245, F6 270 GT 290, then swap those high numbers for even higher ones, 310 and 315, 302 for the specials, and 290 and 270 become the norm for lower spec) how long is it before they just can't make anymore power? i dont think theyre going to "run out of puff" so to speak. you can make monstrous power if you want. but Gov wont let them and at some stage, economically, it will not be viable. the constant upgrading of transmissions and drivelines, researching new and improved bushes and the like, will mean that these peak power and torque figures should plateau at some point...shouldn't they? far be it from me to hope that they do in the near future...i'd love to see a production car built in Aus with 500kw in 10 years time...but surely its going to be stopped at some point?

point two, and that is, while reading an old street machines magazine, it had a bit on 9inch alloy diffs for VT and VX commodores. swap em over, retain the IRS etc and you have a bullet proof diff assembly. should ford research a 9inch alloy diff to slot into the control blade IRS to make it a nice strong diff for the power upgrades planned from factory for coyote? and beyond?(probably a bit late for FGII release.) the units i was reading IIRC where around 5500 bucks. now, if that was a cost spread throughout the cost of the whole car, then obviously bulk buying power or whatever, would reduce the cost further...well, is this a good idea??
It is reaching a point where enough is enough.. ANY regular production car under 100k that can accelerate 0-100 in under 5 seconds and has 325ish kw is bordering on enough.

I see the future of performance vehicles in reducing weight, fuel consumption and improving handling over wholesale power increases.

Hell even my N/A FG XR6 is as fast as my AU220XR8 was..... For a base model engine its extremely lively and feels as fast as the best from Ford/Holden only 10 years ago...
The power upgrades can't keep on climbing at its current rate because human reaction skills and driving abilities havent kept up with technology....

Old 08-04-2010, 01:36 AM   #43
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
While i understand what you're trying to say the fact remains the G6ET can get high 12's, yes albeit with all the stars aligned, right air temp on a sticky track etc with a single spinner diff through the factory 245's...
So "traction issues" are a complex mix of circumstances..

Plus the fact the boss powered cars are quite nose-heavy; not the best for 60 footers. Alloy v8 should mend that problem a little.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #44
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal

With regards to the XR8 I think they have gone to hard to early

Are you kidding me? You cannot win with some people - they do nothing, add a few KWs they get criticised for not doing enough, now they put a fantastic engine in it like this one and you think they've done too much?!

:
Old 08-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #45
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Are you kidding me? You cannot win with some people - they do nothing, add a few KWs they get criticised for not doing enough, now they put a fantastic engine in it like this one and you think they've done too much?!

:
Yes... I think he's more concerned about the restoration of the pecking order than looking at the bigger picture and the benefits it brings to Ford or the brand....

Old 09-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #46
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Quote:
I'M glad the xr8 is getting blown not na. But 315kw is a bit soft the gt need to be 350-375. The new Nissan patrol has 300kw. Working on scale the fpv shold have 450kw.
I'm not saying I want a factory 450kw car. What I'm saying is that if you scale the power of the current patrol and fpv gt by the same percentage you would end up with a 300kw patrol and a 450kw gt.

Also Im well aware that the 315kw power output is for the xr8. Which is the model I'm planing on purchasing.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #47
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo66
I have experianced 450kw also it was a blown maloo. Although that was fwkw.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #48
xr8ted

I personally dont see what all the fuss is about the FWKW rating. I would have been happy to see a 300kw XR8 with improved low/mid range torque. To me 315kw for an XR8 sounds very exciting, and I am not fussed at all that is only a few kw up on the mustang. If it has a meaty low to mid range, with a nice top end to matched (which supercharged 8s normally seem pretty good at doing), then I will be wrapped.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:32 AM   #49
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm not saying I want a factory 450kw car. What I'm saying is that if you scale the power of the current patrol and fpv gt by the same percentage you would end up with a 300kw patrol and a 450kw gt.

Also Im well aware that the 315kw power output is for the xr8. Which is the model I'm planing on purchasing.
HUH??

If you scale the power of a GT to the same as a new 300kw Patrol (KW/Tonne) you'd end up with 196KW GT......

Old 09-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #50
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

I think it's safe to say that Ford/FPV wouldn't waste significant investment, development and time on an engine program for only a handful of kilowatts and no performance/economy advantage over the out-going model.

I think we should wait and see how things pan out before judging what this 315kw number really means.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #51
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
I think it's safe to say that Ford/FPV wouldn't waste significant investment, development and time on an engine program for only a handful of kilowatts and no performance/economy advantage over the out-going model.

I think we should wait and see how things pan out before judging what this 315kw number really means.
exactly!
We are getting a supercharged 5.0 v8 that is almost certainly underrated by at least 30-40kw. We KNOW it will be much faster, lighter and more economical. It will be backed up by one of the worlds finest 6speed automatics and we're complaining about the specified power output number in the brochure????? :

Cant wait to see what the aftermarket is going to do with this engine OHHHH BABY!
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #52
Transfiguring R

Well said there, Ghiadude. 25 more badge kws than the current XR8, lighter, better power delivery due to forced induction (more torque at low rpms), better fuel economy. This is a huge win for Ford. The XR6T is a great car, now the XR8 will match it at the least. People shouldn't be complaining (no one complains about the XR6T...), they should be rejoicing.

Put it this way. This new XR8, by the sounds of it, will compare to HSVs in terms of performance. This is very exciting news, especially if this upgrade is an indication of what FPV have in store.

The only things I would be worried about is rubber and brakes, which are already a problem for the XR6T and the current XR8.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #53
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfiguring R
The only things I would be worried about is rubber and brakes, which are already a problem for the XR6T and the current XR8.
Standard brakes...

Front : 355x32
Rear: 328x26
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #54
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
IF YA DONT LIKE THE THREAD THEN DONT READ IT. I HAVE NOT SEEN IT AND NEVER LOOK IN THE COYOTE SECTION EITHER AND DONT GET ON EVERYDAY LIKE SOME PEOPLE.

BIT OF A WORRY IF THE V8 S ARE NOT READY BY THE END OF JUNE,SINCE THEY WONT BE ABLE TO SELL THE 5.4 ANYMORE, DO YOU THINK THIS IS POSSIBLE ?
If you have nothing to ad dont post either, oh btw the caps button can be turned off too. And for your info no matter how often you get on here the Coyote power section is always on the main page.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 02:50 PM   #55
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am already piecing together in my head a new XR8 - first mod exhaust to get the V8 note, then pulley to get the supercharger whine. Dark argents transferred off my current XR6T and lowered. Exciting times for Ford.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 03:23 PM   #56
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
Standard brakes...

Front : 355x32
Rear: 328x26
FG GT spec, yeah baby!
Old 09-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #57
Transfiguring R

Cheers JPFS1.

Good bloody knews that, even if it increases the price of the XR8 some!

Makes it a bit more likely that the Pursuit and Super Pursuit might go, I'm thinking (NB: I can't remember if that has been confirmed or not yet...).
Old 09-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #58
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm. Sounds like Coyote will be a sweet engine in S/C form, but I wouldn't be popping the champagne quite yet for wildly improved 0-100 times. Wonder how many torque tags will be built into the engine management software to save drivelines?

This engine is more likely to shine in the areas of allowing better handling (less front end weight), rolling start responsiveness, and ease of day to day driving when at low to middling revs.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #59
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Dark argents transferred off my current XR6T and lowered. Exciting times for Ford.
Fg's have different offset. You can put fg wheels on au-fg but not the other way around.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #60
Falcman0o7
Banned

Some people are never happy.

I would have a supercahrged XR8 ANY DAY! i wouldn't care if it made 250KW! Give it to me!

Poor Ford...Even it's fans winge.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post