Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #31
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: GT Buyer's Beware

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I wouldn't be worried about what a car left the factory with as options...many years ago when cars were a little easier to slap things onto, many people used to go back in the years after purchase to get things fitted that they couldn't afford or didn't realise they wanted when they bought it.
the old man I bought this clevo xd ghia off had the bonnet badge fitted by the dealership around a year after he bought the car brand new

I'd like to keep the data on the compliance plate the same as the configuration of the car, but stuff that doesn't make it onto there wouldn't bother me
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #32
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
I cant understand why you couldnt get your deposit back??
Most people i suppose would think a deal is done once a deposit is paid,and dont like to get stuffed around
Now depending on the deposit,around 10 % is the norm, if its any less i wouldnt give it back either
A $500 deposit on a car thats lets say 10 large or more isnt a deposit,its an insult
A decent deposit would be required
A deposit is good for 3 months by law, so even if it was returned it could take 3 months,if the seller wanted
Hence why i absolutely loath deposits,as many buyers think it becomes some sort of payment plan
Seems to be more to the story than whats really happened ...
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #33
PIG-351

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351hardtop
Interesting that you got a verification letter. When I was looking at a car recently, I called Ford about getting one and they said that unless I was the registered owner and sent proof, they wouldn't give me a verification letter. Seems I got a bum steer.
I got the apprentice on the phone perhaps, I had to send proof of ownership plus a copy of my drivers licence to get the letter.

I sent the licence copy plus a copy of the receipt for the deposit I left on the car which had the seller & buyers details & signatures.

Motivation determines what you do . . . .

Attitude determines how well you do it

05/2008 FG mk1 XR6 Turbo auto sedan in Sensation

12/2015 SZ mk2 Territory Titanium RWD diesel in Emperor

08/2015 PX mk2 Ranger XLT dual cab 4wd auto in True Red
PIG-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #34
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIG-351
I got the apprentice on the phone perhaps, I had to send proof of ownership plus a copy of my drivers licence to get the letter.

I sent the licence copy plus a copy of the receipt for the deposit I left on the car which had the seller & buyers details & signatures.
You have put a big statement out there in the OP, and have not responded to any of the responses!!

So what is actually the problem with this car??? Is it still listed as stolen or has it been recovered and it was just stolen and located some time ago??? What was the car advertised as?? How much was/is the car??

Is there any links to the add as it sounds like a good buy to me??

I and most people here still don't understand what the supposed issue with the car is.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #35
PIG-351

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
I too read the above twice and can not see what is wrong with the car unless I am missing something, from what you said it's a genuine XB GT with a few extra factory options added??? So just how did you dodge a bullet??

How exactly did it LOOK like a highly optioned car?? What was it advertised as???

I have had cars stolen in the past and recovered and how does that make a difference to the car?? It's getting rebuild anyway by the sound of it.

When you put it back together just put the options you want on it and enjoy the car, not sure why you lost your deposit and what the actual problem is!?!?!

PS Good Bye means 'see you later" bye bye while 'good buy' is to buy or purchase something.
It looked like a highly optioned car because it was advertised that way & all the options were stated in the advert, plus an 8000rpm XA GT tacho & a heap of extra parts to go with the car.

Because I have decided not to go ahead & BUY the car as it is hiding a few secrets that I wouldn't be happy living with & the fact that the seller didn't disclose them, the seller has decided to keep my deposit which is NOT what I am warning everyone about.

PS:- OOOPS . . . . my bad, typo error, so bye bye again for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFORDNUT
Sorry is car stolen or was it stolen and recovered in the past,if recovered why is it a problem that needed to be disclosed to buyer( if owner even knew),so its got more options added why is that a bad thing? am i missing something here?
Stolen & recovered in the past.

It isn't a bad thing that the car now has a few extra options at all.

The vin number in the tower is barely legible even with all the paint removed from that area. It could have all the extra options due to a wheel barrow conversion (cut & shut with the rear of another car) or be a complete re-shell . . . . either are not my desired GT Falcon.

The owner has had the car since 1991, he is now 38, that means he would have been 17 or 18 when he purchased the car. I asked to see pics of the car from all those years ago to which I was told he never ever took any pics of the car!!

I still have pics of my 1st car, a rusted out, bogged up 250 column auto XB Futura sedan that the old man handed down to me.

Something seems fishy if a kid who owns a GT Falcon never takes pics of it, could it be that he doesn't want to show pics as the buyer might see the car is not what he has advertised it as . . . . a GT with factory windback, etc, etc!!

Old 26-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #36
AU Mont
Banned

so you left a deposit on it, then decided everything about the car was fishy?
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #37
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

8000rpm tachos are a 1972 XA GT characteristic

Not an option

Always makes me laugh how people get excited by an extra 1000rpm on a dial!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #38
PIG-351

Quote:
You have put a big statement out there in the OP, and have not responded to any of the responses!!

So what is actually the problem with this car??? Is it still listed as stolen or has it been recovered and it was just stolen and located some time ago??? What was the car advertised as?? How much was/is the car??

Is there any links to the add as it sounds like a good buy to me??

I and most people here still don't understand what the supposed issue with the car is.
It was advertised on Gumtree with a not neg price of $15,000 & without any pictures as he apparently doesn't own a computer or have internet access . . . . & also I guess because he NEVER EVER took any pics of his beloved XB GT.

It was listed as stolen at some time in the past & a member of 1 of the GT clubs found this out for me after quizzing the options list.

Faint vin number & engine number stampings plus extra options like the sunroof, which doesn't appear to be added by a roof cut & no sign of holes being filled in at ends of rear quarters, front guards or doors where protector stripes locating stud holes once were made me think re-shell or wheel barrow cut.

It isn't the sought of GT that I would be happy with in the future even though it might be a good buy to yourself or others.

I was attempting to warn people about the dodgey goings on out there with some sellers & to protect yourself 1st & foremost.

Old 26-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #39
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no need to hammer the OP.. big deal he backed out of the sale.. it was his money not yours....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #40
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
The owner has had the car since 1991, he is now 38, that means he would have been 17 or 18 when he purchased the car. I asked to see pics of the car from all those years ago to which I was told he never ever took any pics of the car!!
FWIW, I had an XW GT when I was 22 which is ~20 years ago. Owned it for about 5 years, had it completely resprayed and a fair bit of engine work done on it and I never took a single photo of it.

When I had my Golf R32 I took a few pics under protest on a camera phone. The only pictures I've ever taken of a car I've owned. Some people just can't be bothered taking pictures.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #41
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
8000rpm tachos are a 1972 XA GT characteristic

Not an option

Always makes me laugh how people get excited by an extra 1000rpm on a dial!
and a $2 shop clock is more accurate...
Old 26-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #42
JG33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
Some people are funny about smoking in cars. Would you have to disclose that too?
Lol...Hey I'm just going by what peoples attitudes are.
Only reason sellers don't disclose their car was stolen at one time is because it is less chance for them to sell their car.

Don't bother me, my ute was stolen & recovered 11 years ago, I still bought it.
JG33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #43
PIG-351

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
no need to hammer the OP.. big deal he backed out of the sale.. it was his money not yours....
Yeah, thanks for that, I agree totally.

Old 26-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #44
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
so you left a deposit on it, then decided everything about the car was fishy?
what else would he do
he sees a car that he believes is a gt and is relatively happy with it - he leaves a deposit because if he doesn't, someone else might buy it
after the deposit is given, he gets serious and looks thoroughly into it

seems common practice to me
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 12:21 AM   #45
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It looked like a highly optioned car because it was advertised that way & all the options were stated in the advert, plus an 8000rpm XA GT tacho & a heap of extra parts to go with the car.

Because I have decided not to go ahead & BUY the car as it is hiding a few secrets that I wouldn't be happy living with & the fact that the seller didn't disclose them, the seller has decided to keep my deposit which is NOT what I am warning everyone about.

PS:- OOOPS . . . . my bad, typo error, so bye bye again for now.

Stolen & recovered in the past.

It isn't a bad thing that the car now has a few extra options at all.

The vin number in the tower is barely legible even with all the paint removed from that area. It could have all the extra options due to a wheel barrow conversion (cut & shut with the rear of another car) or be a complete re-shell . . . . either are not my desired GT Falcon.

I still have pics of my 1st car, a rusted out, bogged up 250 column auto XB Futura sedan that the old man handed down to me.

Something seems fishy if a kid who owns a GT Falcon never takes pics of it, could it be that he doesn't want to show pics as the buyer might see the car is not what he has advertised it as . . . . a GT with factory windback, etc, etc!!
That does seem a bit dodgy, no photos of a car he owned for all that time, and no computer or internet???

Was he living under a rock all these years, I don't think you can get a phone these days that does not have a camera of some sort...

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 12:25 AM   #46
XAGSV8
Member 178

From what the OP has described I would have backed out as well. The price as well seems fishy and would have rung alarm bells for me.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #47
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That does seem a bit dodgy, no photos of a car he owned for all that time, and no computer or internet???

Was he living under a rock all these years, I don't think you can get a phone these days that does not have a camera of some sort...
im 38.. bought / brought my first laptop last year and only have a couple happy snaps of my XA GT from twenty years ago....
Old 27-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #48
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
what else would he do
he sees a car that he believes is a gt and is relatively happy with it - he leaves a deposit because if he doesn't, someone else might buy it
after the deposit is given, he gets serious and looks thoroughly into it

seems common practice to me
for arguments sake the process you described, its called being a time waster.

leaving a deposit means you ARE buying it and dont intend on backing out, hence leaving a non-refundable deposit, unless you like throwing money away.

ive never heard of using a deposit to buy more time to get "serious" about thinking about buying a car
Old 27-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #49
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^^ Happens quite often with property, prospective purchaser leaves a deposit while due diligence is done. Sometimes inspections will turn up something not readily apparent. Why should a car, particularly vehicles from this era, which might involve significant cost to a prospective purchaser be any different?
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #50
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

leaving a deposit means you ARE buying it and dont intend on backing out, hence leaving a non-refundable deposit, unless you like throwing money away.

ive never heard of using a deposit to buy more time to get "serious" about thinking about buying a car
bought a GT lately..??? its not like buying an old corolla.. look at a deposit as more of a holding deposit whilst you ensure its not a car with issues...
Old 27-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #51
AU Mont
Banned

fair enough, people have different ways of purchasing stuff, its their money.
Old 27-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #52
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

There are more people who dont have internet access than you mite think
I know many people who like to do trasactions and enjoy the thrill of finding that elusive car,part,whatever the good ol fashion way

I understand many mite put a deposit on something perhaps sought after,and lots and lots back out of deposited deals all the time,for whatever the reason either by the purchaser or the seller changes their mind, but i cant fathum how its a warning to another buyer than a car thats got more options or extras than it had from new is hardly worthy of a warning,or that one time in its life it was stolen or recovered,or even that the seller is dodgy as hell because he/she doesnt get hung up on taking a gazzillion pics of their ride

It could be dodgy , but why not post the links or contact details of it and let someone else check it out ???

Dont start me on mobile fones , the things you ring people with that takes longer to make a call due to all the other gadgets it has,that i dont want
There a fone not a mobile computer,nothin annoys me more than pumped up mobile fone sales piches, oh i does this , it does that
How about something that makes a fone call

Last edited by 302 XC; 27-08-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 27-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #53
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the no pics would not be an issue with me (some people just aren't into pics) but other things ring alarm bells. if you feel it is a reshell or a cut and shut illegally done get the cops involved. they will investigate the car and if it is dodgy he will be charged and you will get your deposit back

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #54
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no pics is not unusual i havn't got any of the xb gt coupe i used to own mind you the ex wife burnt them all ! the lovely girl i still miss her damm my bad aim
Old 27-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #55
gtxb67

Quote:

if the seller was honest and up front about the car then there would be no problem would there
having never tried to buy a gt i imagine it would go something like this

you see an ad
you go and look at the car
if it is what you want, you work out a price that is good for both of you
and then you leave a holding deposit - generally with the condition that it is a genuine gt and the owner will allow you to get it checked by someone who can verify what it is
if the car is as advertised, then there is no problem. if it is a re-body or not as advertised, then you either don't buy it or you negotiate a lower price

not much different to signing a contract when buying a house and putting in the conditions, like subject to finance, and subject to a building/electrical inspection etc.

if everything is as it should be, then there is no problem
if the seller is a time waster, then there begins the problem
Old 28-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #56
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
I did not hammer him i asked fair questions about his post and his answers show he made a post that really needed more facts ,his first meant to me he was just whinging but finally he says it had filled holes where non gt car should not so maybe it was a reshell,(was legal 20 years ago)but something id be wary of too, funny important fact to toss about now after being questioned,id have used it in my first post as its way more important than the fact it had extra goodies fitted and was once stolen and recovered
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #57
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
if the seller was honest and up front about the car then there would be no problem would there
having never tried to buy a gt i imagine it would go something like this

you see an ad
you go and look at the car
if it is what you want, you work out a price that is good for both of you
and then you leave a holding deposit - generally with the condition that it is a genuine gt and the owner will allow you to get it checked by someone who can verify what it is
if the car is as advertised, then there is no problem.
Your assuming that the seller know whats he/she is talking about ???
IF you were selling a genuine GT, you would surely track down as much history or info on the car as you could possibly get to help sell the thing
Not saying really that the seller is dodgy,maybe they are,maybe their not
But how many people actually buy a car in the first place because its what they want,not on the ID plate for future profit
The seller had the car for many years and maybe he is only goin on what he was told or could remember from the previous owner ???
Or he could be dodgy as hell
My XC Fairmont Rally pack wasnt bought because of that, it was because i wanted the car,i didnt even check what is was or wasnt or that it was even a rally pack
The previous owner didnt even know what a rally pack is, to him it was a ford V8,and he owned the car since 81
Not every person in the world gets hooked up on options and ID plates,some people actually drive the things, not pamper them
Old 28-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #58
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
Your assuming that the seller know whats he/she is talking about ???
IF you were selling a genuine GT, you would surely track down as much history or info on the car as you could possibly get to help sell the thing
Not saying really that the seller is dodgy,maybe they are,maybe their not
But how many people actually buy a car in the first place because its what they want,not on the ID plate for future profit
The seller had the car for many years and maybe he is only goin on what he was told or could remember from the previous owner ???
Or he could be dodgy as hell
My XC Fairmont Rally pack wasnt bought because of that, it was because i wanted the car,i didnt even check what is was or wasnt or that it was even a rally pack
The previous owner didnt even know what a rally pack is, to him it was a ford V8,and he owned the car since 81
Not every person in the world gets hooked up on options and ID plates,some people actually drive the things, not pamper them
true - buying from an ignorant but well meaning owner is another reason for a holding deposit depending on the car being the real deal