Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-08-2005, 05:28 PM   #31
nat_daly
Nat D

man id love one on each side for sure but yeah tell me about both and roughly how much you think it would cost...
cheers,
nat_daly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2005, 05:29 PM   #32
benXaGt

Heres some pics of my car

http://photobucket.com/albums/b100/benxagt/XA%20Sedan/

http://photobucket.com/albums/b100/benxagt/XA%20COUPE/
benXaGt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2005, 05:32 PM   #33
benXaGt

It wouldnt cost much either way it would be easier to get a quote from a muffler shop remeber its free to get quotes at most places

I had my twin system done extractors back for $500 at a proper muffler shop
Old 07-08-2005, 05:33 PM   #34
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

I personally think making a cars exhaust loud does not make it sound betterA good note does not need to be loud to sound good :
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2005, 05:34 PM   #35
nat_daly
Nat D

that is awesome.. how fat are those tyres? damn!
so you know anything about those exhausts and how hard it is to convert the single pipe to either and prices?
Old 07-08-2005, 05:35 PM   #36
benXaGt

Each to there own mate i prefer to be able to hear if my car is running
Old 07-08-2005, 05:37 PM   #37
nat_daly
Nat D

oh ok! so how about tips?? if i just want a 2.5 inchh tip attached to the end of the exhaust? that wouldnt cost much would it? its just the old one looks really shocking..rusted and all..
Old 07-08-2005, 05:38 PM   #38
nat_daly
Nat D

[QUOTE=351xafairmont]Each to there own mate i prefer to be able to hear if my car is running[/QUOTE
agreed!
Old 07-08-2005, 05:46 PM   #39
benXaGt

not much at all just go down to the shops buy the tip u like make sure its the same size pipe and cut yours off and 'U' schackle it on youl probably do this for around $30 its really easy to do
Old 07-08-2005, 05:48 PM   #40
nat_daly
Nat D

so no welding required? someone told me welding was needed
Old 07-08-2005, 05:52 PM   #41
benXaGt

i wouldnt bother welding it cause its just a tip by the time the exhaust gasses reach the tip it wont really matter if it leaks gasses. Different story if you were joining the extractors to the exhaust. But yeah im sure you can get some sort of sealant to go around the join on the tip ifd you were worried
Old 07-08-2005, 05:56 PM   #42
nat_daly
Nat D

thanks.. so when i shackle it? where do i get the u shackle from? and how does this hold it on? lol im a wiz as u can tell
Old 07-08-2005, 05:56 PM   #43
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

whethers its clamped or welded it must not leak at all or can be another un rwc item on the list :hihi:
Old 07-08-2005, 05:59 PM   #44
benXaGt

how can they check for leaks that far down the exhaust? im sure a metal bonding sealant would prevent any leaks
Old 07-08-2005, 06:00 PM   #45
BJ
Banned

XC Fairmont 387 stroker the exhaust is thus. 1/78 headers into 4 inch collectors in to 3 1/2 inch pipe on to 3 inch mufflers that dump at the diff. I run it like this so i don't have to pull my whole exhaust of at the drags.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2005, 06:02 PM   #46
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351xafairmont
how can they check for leaks that far down the exhaust? im sure a metal bonding sealant would prevent any leaks
putting a rag over the end of the exhaust will show any leaks in the system and it is compulsory that all exhaust gases exit only at the end of the exhaust system.

You can buy exhaust sealers, maniseal is one
Old 07-08-2005, 06:05 PM   #47
benXaGt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH7472
XC Fairmont 387 stroker the exhaust is thus. 1/78 headers into 4 inch collectors in to 3 1/2 inch pipe on to 3 inch mufflers that dump at the diff. I run it like this so i don't have to pull my whole exhaust of at the drags.

That makes things easy not having the exhaust going over the diff. Id imagine you unbolt the flanges at the extractors and drop them straigt out?
Old 07-08-2005, 06:08 PM   #48
BJ
Banned

yep could not be easyer.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:10 PM   #49
BJ
Banned

The best thing for sealing your exhaust is good old salastic hi temp. Use it all the time and never have any leaks.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:10 PM   #50
nat_daly
Nat D

how does it sound? must be loud..being a pretty striaght system and all
Old 07-08-2005, 06:10 PM   #51
Biggoggs
Rider on the storm

Come on, the only benefit I can possibly see by having a 100dB+ exhaust is 0.5kw and a `hey... hey... look at me!' effect. To those little lawnmower Civic owners, their car sounds good, just like yours does.

How about you make your car as quiet as possible, then you can do your disruptive thing without waking the neighborhood up...
Biggoggs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2005, 06:15 PM   #52
nat_daly
Nat D

if you want a quiet car go buy a toyota prius..
Old 07-08-2005, 06:16 PM   #53
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why not have a powerfull car that is also quiet ?
Old 07-08-2005, 06:16 PM   #54
benXaGt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggoggs
Come on, the only benefit I can possibly see by having a 100dB+ exhaust is 0.5kw and a `hey... hey... look at me!' effect. To those little lawnmower Civic owners, their car sounds good, just like yours does.

How about you make your car as quiet as possible, then you can do your disruptive thing without waking the neighborhood up...

Yeah thats one thing i take into consideration. Theres a time and place to open it up and thats not at night time or in the suburbs. I open it up on the freeway and out in the bush
Old 07-08-2005, 06:20 PM   #55
nat_daly
Nat D

yeah i certainly wouldnt be keeping it at fullthrottle through suburbs.. i just want to hear it idling nicely..etc.. i wouldnt be driving around suburbs at night at all...
Old 07-08-2005, 07:05 PM   #56
nat_daly
Nat D

ok well does anyone know how much a good mufller is? that has a loudish grunt..
all help is appreciated.. :
Old 07-08-2005, 07:28 PM   #57
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggoggs

Come on mate...when an old GT cruises past with nice loud exhaust you can't say that doesn't sound good. I want mine to sound like that and so do most people.

As for 4 cylinder owners with loud exhausts...its just plain wrong!
Old 09-08-2005, 12:10 AM   #58
Biggoggs
Rider on the storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_daly
yeah i certainly wouldnt be keeping it at fullthrottle through suburbs.. i just want to hear it idling nicely..etc.. i wouldnt be driving around suburbs at night at all...
You don't drive your car at night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citric XR6
Come on mate...when an old GT cruises past with nice loud exhaust you can't say that doesn't sound good. I want mine to sound like that and so do most people.

As for 4 cylinder owners with loud exhausts...its just plain wrong!
I can hear a nice engine just fine at a comfortable volume, sounding nice and sounding loud are two different things. My gf lives next to a popular road, so I don't `enjoy' any vehicle that tries to resonate further than the next car at late hours of the night.
I like to hear an old Cleveland or Windsor like any other Ford enthusiast, but I'm saying that those riceboxes like to hear their engine as much as you do yours, making a 5.0 v8 at 120dB just as good or bad as a 1.8 or 600cc at 120dB. The people with riceboxes put 6" exhausts to make up for the lack of manhood, the v8's put bigger exhausts to `out-resonate' the riceboxes, and then the motorcycles put bigger exhausts to overcome the noise of both while they overtake in the `striped lanes'

Last edited by Biggoggs; 09-08-2005 at 12:16 AM.
Biggoggs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 12:39 AM   #59
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

I still think exception should be made for V8s...
Old 09-08-2005, 11:44 AM   #60
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like my legal system and the power I have. It annoys me when I can't hear my radio. Just because a car's loud doesn't mean it's powerful. It's just got the come book my **** thing about it. Screw that. Legal is less hassle.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post