Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #31
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Default Re: Ford Announces 8 speed Transmission and Split Cooling Technology

Also, something i read further in the article is that Ford will be casting the extractors into the cylinder head, something tuners probably won't be happy with.
Now wondering how long it'll take before we this happening to either the I6 or the current crop of v6 engines of Ford US.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #32
Rodge
Banned

My Merc has a 7 speed box and I've come to really like it although its not appreciably better than the six speed auto in my FPV its just that the seventh gear is slightly taller for improved cruising economy.

I drove a Lexus GS460 with the eight speed auto which some jurno's have reported is a bit prone to gear hunting, and so it proved, that said if the new 8 speed box is anything like the new 8 speed ZF they're said to be very good. I'm pleased its coming, the extra efficiency can't be a nad thing provided its programmed to avoid too much gear hunting like early Lexus 8 Speed boxes are prone too.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #33
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6
Agreed. My FG STARTS in FIRST no matter how much throttle is used.. I thought BF models started in second though?
My FG starts in 2nd...

Getting back to the THREAD TOPIC. Add, 8spd auto, stop-start, EPAS, smart aternator, improved aero, split cooling and you have 8L/100km economy from the 4.0 i6.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #34
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
My Merc has a 7 speed box and I've come to really like it although its not appreciably better than the six speed auto in my FPV its just that the seventh gear is slightly taller for improved cruising economy.

I drove a Lexus GS460 with the eight speed auto which some jurno's have reported is a bit prone to gear hunting, and so it proved, that said if the new 8 speed box is anything like the new 8 speed ZF they're said to be very good. I'm pleased its coming, the extra efficiency can't be a nad thing provided its programmed to avoid too much gear hunting like early Lexus 8 Speed boxes are prone too.
The Lexus 8 speed isn't very good. The ZF 8 speed is one million times better from all reports, you can't even feel it change gear.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #35
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya
Also, something i read further in the article is that Ford will be casting the extractors into the cylinder head, something tuners probably won't be happy with.
Now wondering how long it'll take before we this happening to either the I6 or the current crop of v6 engines of Ford US.
I6 will never have the exhaust manifold cast into the head, its just too big to do and its a 2 piece cast iron hunk.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #36
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The Lexus 8 speed isn't very good. The ZF 8 speed is one million times better from all reports, you can't even feel it change gear.
So what did you not like about driving a Lexus ISF?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #37
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
So what did you not like about driving a Lexus ISF?
I've read about 3 or 4 reviews about it and they all say the same thing, that the Lexus 8 speed hunts around.

So get off your high horse, and don't tell me you've never commented on a car you haven't driven.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #38
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya
Already happening with GM SIDI 3.0 V6 and set to extend 3.6 SIDI.
It's all part of cooling the exhaust enough to recirculate it in higher
compression engines or higher boosted engines.

Ford Ecoboost V6 in F150 uses 12 psi boost and 11:1 compression with standard fuel,
you can only do that if you have good detonation control and lots of safety margin.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #39
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've read about 3 or 4 reviews about it and they all say the same thing, that the Lexus 8 speed hunts around.

So get off your high horse, and don't tell me you've never commented on a car you haven't driven.
No I specifically do NOT make comments on the operation of cars I have not driven as I have discovered that quite often reports in the media tend to be somewhat biased.

I have not found the ISF to "hunt around" any more than the DSG in a M3 or 335i, the DCT in a Golf R or even the ZF in the various BF/FG/Terris that I have driven.

But then I have read countless reviews stating that FG falcons are dead, crap, doomed and slow, terrible to drive, bad seating whatever.

I don't be believe them and the only problem I have with FGs is the blind spots. That is, the blind spots I noticed while DRIVING them......
Old 05-06-2011, 08:47 PM   #40
Bossxr8
Peter Car

So you've never made a comment on a car you haven't driven. Sure mate.

If a number of reviews say the same thing then you can assume its probably true, if only one person says it and no one else does then you can view it with suspicion.

All reviews of 8 speed ZF equipped cars have been very positive towards it. If only the Falcon could have it, but it would be very pricey at the moment being so new.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #41
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Why, the 6 speed auto used in the F series is the same one used in the Territory diesel, which is near identical to the one in the Falcon, so if the F series gets it then it won't be hard to fit it in Falcon, depending on when they start making it of course.

The gear spread is only a bit larger in 7 and 8 speed autos, all the other gears are just stacked closer. The diff ratio can be lowered to bring the higher gears into play for Australian conditions.

The 6 speed ZF already defaults to start in 2nd gear.
I've been saying for a while now. And 8 speed gearbox for the Falcon.

Makes sense. Eco minded twits would pay to option an economy device, such as the 8 speeder. This is clearly for engines that can handle the spread though, like the Big sixes and eights. But it might even find it's way onto the back of the EB 2.0

Either way, I'm excited to see an adaption of this locally.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #42
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
No I specifically do NOT make comments on the operation of cars I have not driven as I have discovered that quite often reports in the media tend to be somewhat biased.

I have not found the ISF to "hunt around" any more than the DSG in a M3 or 335i, the DCT in a Golf R or even the ZF in the various BF/FG/Terris that I have driven.

But then I have read countless reviews stating that FG falcons are dead, crap, doomed and slow, terrible to drive, bad seating whatever.

I don't be believe them and the only problem I have with FGs is the blind spots. That is, the blind spots I noticed while DRIVING them......
Surely you must be a journo, or aspiring journo... or you write for your local rag or something. Because who else would seek to drive so many vehicles? Let alone rent them?
Old 05-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #43
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Surely you must be a journo, or aspiring journo... or you write for your local rag or something. Because who else would seek to drive so many vehicles? Let alone rent them?
So you don't test drive vehicles when you are interested in buying them?

Or swap cars with your friends for a day to see what each others is like?

Having several dealer principals as friends comes in handy as well.

I LIKE driving and take every opportunity to broaden my experience, maybe you should try doing the same.

The only above mentioned vehicle that was rented was a FG XR6 I drove for several thousand KMs in NZ.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #44
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Must like wasting dealers time test driving vehicles he has no intention of buying, or has no life.

But forget the idea of the 8 speed ZF being used in a Falcon within the next say 5 years. Its only been used in mega expensive cars so far and the price per unit would more than likely add more than a few thousand to the price of a Falcon.

But I think Chrysler are planning on using it in the 300C?
Old 05-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #45
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Must like wasting dealers time test driving vehicles he has no intention of buying, or has no life.
OR

Currently own 6 vehicles and have bought almost 100 including quite a number of NEW Falcons and FPVs.

I have held a drivers licence for 35 years and driven well over a million kilometres in every state and territory of Australia as well as many other countries.

How about you.........
Old 05-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #46
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:

But forget the idea of the 8 speed ZF being used in a Falcon within the next say 5 years. Its only been used in mega expensive cars so far and the price per unit would more than likely add more than a few thousand to the price of a Falcon.

But I think Chrysler are planning on using it in the 300C?
Yeah.... that's why they do the development work, drive it round Aus for a bit more, and then tell people they can option this gearbox for an extra $3-4k.

You may have to order it, and have one on the lot... but I think some would be interested in going that few extra grand for some low cost premiumness. Which is a new word I have just made up.

Quote:
So you don't test drive vehicles when you are interested in buying them?

Or swap cars with your friends for a day to see what each others is like?

Having several dealer principals as friends comes in handy as well.

I LIKE driving and take every opportunity to broaden my experience, maybe you should try doing the same.

The only above mentioned vehicle that was rented was a FG XR6 I drove for several thousand KMs in NZ.
I couldn't afford a new car mate... so I would just be wasting some poor blokes time for my own kicks... that wouldn't sit too well with me.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #47
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I couldn't afford a new car mate... so I would just be wasting some poor blokes time for my own kicks... that wouldn't sit too well with me.
Yes but one day you will be able to afford a new car, will you test drive them then?

I did not have a lot of spare money to buy cars when I was your age either but I did take every opportunity to drive anything I was offered.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #48
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Some more info (or even speculative info) on this 8 speed box would be handy.....

Increase in the price ?
Cost of servicing ? (lifetime sealed ?.... I've never been convinced of that one)
Potential cost of a re-build ?
Potential cost of a new replacement out of warranty ?..... $12K at a rough guess?

How do these potential costs stack up to a 6% fuel saving and a smoother ride ?
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #49
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I don't think the price premium would justify the small economy saving, not when the 8 speed has only been on the market for less than a year, because it would come with a premium price tag. The current 6 speed has had all its R&D paid for a long time ago, and the purchase price would reflect that.

I'd hate to know what one would cost new from a dealer. Double a 6 speed?
Old 06-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #50
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanBatman
why does everyone say the ZF starts in 2nd

i have owned my ZF car since day one brand new and its never taken off in 2nd, only when you manually select 2 it takes off in 2nd

maybe pre FG they did this but not anymore
My FG starts in 2nd.

Don't see the point in an 8 speed, anything below 80 in the 6 speed and I have to force my box into 5th, let alone 6th.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #51
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

If Ford's current 6 speed ZF-copy is anything to go by they can stick this 8 speed where it belongs.

Bring on the Dual Clutches, not this nancy fancy I've-got-more-gears-than-you woftam.

Fair enough, you're in the right gear all the time but it defeats the purpose now that most torque curves are flat lines thanks to forced induction where forced induction is now becoming the norm.

DCT all the way.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:15 PM   #52
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For me the benefit of going 8 speed is not there at all even with the tad better fuel economy and tad better shifting........

The more technical the trans the more SH%T that can go wrong.........

Imagine the cost just to service thetrans let along rebuild it.......