Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Closed Thread

Old 24-04-2008, 12:27 PM   #31
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowog
There is a guy on the drive blog claiming that the Clio is a super car and better than the FG XR6 Turbo. The guy has most certainly driven over to many rough roads in his Clio because he has a brain injury.
i will say that i would much rather an fg falcon over a clio... but then again i would much prefer a focus over a falcon. Just my personal preference.

Old 24-04-2008, 01:25 PM   #32
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
There is a guy on the drive blog claiming that the Clio is a super car and better than the FG XR6 Turbo. The guy has most certainly driven over to many rough roads in his Clio because he has a brain injury.
Supercar? Not quite...

Its a mid-high 14 sec hot hatch with handling far beyond anything FPV or HSV have ever made.

It could out-brake an FG XR6 Turbo (a touch over 30m to stop from 100km/h - equivalent stopping distance from 100 to a Ferrari F360 Modena and better then a GT-R R34 Skyline - being light is good) and out corner one. It would still lose on any track with a decent straight or two on it, like Eastern Creek, for example... because of the sheer power disadvantage. On something tight where the XR6 Turbo can't stretch its legs, the Clio would probably beat it.

Every other hot hatch in its class though (Polo GTI, Fiesta XR4, 207 GTi, Cooper S, Punto Sport, Swift Sport etc etc) would be put behind and never get close. And that precisely why I bought one. I was going to get an XR4 to replace my Fiesta Zetec... but...
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 24-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #33
mowog
Discovery 4

On the drive blog there is a link to a You Tube video of a production car race. There is a great battle between a Clio and a Mitsubishi 380. It was very interesting to watch. The blog also includes links to Clio's crashing in Rally comps also very entertaining. The common issue seemed to be the suspension being to stiff and a failure to control body motion on poor surfaces.

The blog

http://blogs.drive.com.au/2008/04/fa...os_chan_1.html
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
Old 24-04-2008, 06:04 PM   #34
KenLee
supercarclub.com.au

I've gotta say, the RenaultSport Clio has got the best performance in the supermini class. Nothing comes close to it.
Old 25-04-2008, 01:29 AM   #35
Ben85

I've never driven a renault clio, but i have driven and own a VE R8 Clubsport, and i tell you wat, if this renault out corners it i'd be very surprised!!!! I also have a subaru liberty 04 model and even that doesnt come close to the handling ability of the Clubsport!!!

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Old 25-04-2008, 02:53 AM   #36
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben85
I've never driven a renault clio, but i have driven and own a VE R8 Clubsport, and i tell you wat, if this renault out corners it i'd be very surprised!!!! I also have a subaru liberty 04 model and even that doesnt come close to the handling ability of the Clubsport!!!
Are... you... serious?

Any FPV or HSV ever built will lose badly to a Sport Clio (or Fiesta XR4 or Polo GTI or 207 GTi or any other hot-hatch) in anything resembling a handling competition. The big Aussies are yachts in comparison. Your Liberty is a worse handler then your Fiesta... so I don't know why you're even using it as any sort of benchmark?

Here's some results from Wheels' 2006 "Handling Olympics"

Lateral G -
RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup - 0.90
HSV Clubsport R8 (VZ) - 0.86
Subaru Liberty GT - 0.74
Ford Fiesta Zetec - 0.84
BMW M3 Competition Pack (E46) - 0.90
Subaru Impreza WRX STi - 0.88
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo9 - 0.91

Slalom -
RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup - 27.86 sec @ 46.52km/h avg spd
HSV Clubsport R8 (VZ) - 29.79 sec @ 43.51km/h avg spd
Subaru Liberty GT - 28.29 sec @ 45.82km/h avg spd
Ford Fiesta Zetec - 27.99 sec @ 46.3km/h avg spd
BMW M3 Competition Pack (E46) - 26.79 sec @ 48.38km/h avg spd
Subaru Impreza WRX STi - 26.25 sec @ 49.38km/h avg spd
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo9 - 26.05 sec @ 49.76km/h avg spd

100-0km/h Braking -
RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup - 37.62m
HSV Clubsport R8 (VZ) - 40.68m
Subaru Liberty GT - 40.05m
Ford Fiesta Zetec - 39.41m
BMW M3 Competition Pack - 36.83m
Subaru Impreza WRX STi - 33.43m
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo9 - 35.10m

The Liberty was never in the chase, it got crushed by the Fez. As for HSV vs Clio... the VE has not improved enough over the VZ to bring it the Clio's level. Also it should be noted that we're talking about a $65,000 HSV against a $34,990 hatchback.

I'd love to see this test re-done with the new Sport Clio, the Fiesta XR4, the new Clubsport, new EVO, new STi and new M3.

:
Old 25-04-2008, 10:59 AM   #37
mowog
Discovery 4

Steffo

These facts are 2 years old the world has moved on. I think you should as well.
Lotus Trooper.
Old 25-04-2008, 01:18 PM   #38
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

I know it's old but, that was a WP Zetec in that test. If they had a WQ with the lower suspension & close ratio box, it might have taken the Clio in the slalom. Guess we'll never know.
Old 25-04-2008, 05:47 PM   #39
Ben85

They are pretty old statistics u've got there. The new clubsports have better suspension, better brakes, bigger front and rear tyres, better balance because the motor is set further back. I agree that its comparing apples and oranges, one is $70000 and the other is $34000, but u brought up the comparison.

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Old 25-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #40
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Steffo

These facts are 2 years old the world has moved on. I think you should as well.
x2.. im with you on that one.

So much to say that i think that is quote material!!!!

Old 26-04-2008, 05:33 AM   #41
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben85
They are pretty old statistics u've got there. The new clubsports have better suspension, better brakes, bigger front and rear tyres, better balance because the motor is set further back. I agree that its comparing apples and oranges, one is $70000 and the other is $34000, but u brought up the comparison.
And I guarantee you that the VE isn't that much better then the VZ as far as sheer handling performance goes. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if it got worse, thanks to the 200kg weight gain. However it would feel 500x better to drive, the VZ was... getting old to say the least.

You'd be very surprised if you got your WQ Zetec and a VE R8 and threw them in a slalom, skidpad g test and figure 8 against each other at how poorly the 1800kg HSV would do against the 1050kg Feztec.

:
Old 26-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #42
whooligan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another pointless car comparison thread. Apples and Oranges, folks.
Old 26-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #43
KenLee
supercarclub.com.au

What if I like mangoes?
Old 26-04-2008, 12:39 PM   #44
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

I like how to bogans are complaining about the comparison because they get killed by a $16,000 econo box. lol
Old 26-04-2008, 03:41 PM   #45
fiesta8u

mmmmmmm mangooo.....
Old 27-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #46
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
I like how to bogans are complaining about the comparison because they get killed by a $16,000 econo box. lol
2nd that.
Old 27-04-2008, 09:53 PM   #47
RS027
Perth XR5'er

This is the strangest thread eva.
Ford Rallye Sport Club of WA; Member#64:

Barbagallo Short: 1:01.1779
Barbagallo Long: 1:12.4649
Collie: 55.90

K&N Gen2 57i CAI / 2XS RIP / Airtec Gen3 IC / Mongoose Dump Pipe / Outlaw 200cpsi Cat / Milltek Ultimate Race Catback / Whiteline 24mm RARB / Whiteline FALK / BC Racing BR-Spec Coilovers / RSR Rear Camber Arms / Ferodo DS2500 Pads F&R / Goodridge Braided Brake Lines / Elevate Torque Mount / DS MOD C / MkII RS Clutch & DMF / Quaife LSD
Old 28-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #48
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS027
This is the strangest thread eva.
I thinks its all because I dared to have a differing opinion on the XR4. Then it started the minor side debate on the Clio as hot hatch. Then Steffo dragged up the old Sportivo connection. Then it just got plain silly.
Lotus Trooper.
Old 28-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #49
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
I thinks its all because I dared to have a differing opinion on the XR4. Then it started the minor side debate on the Clio as hot hatch. Then Steffo dragged up the old Sportivo connection. Then it just got plain silly.
yahuh... all cause of steffo.

Old 28-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #50
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
[joking sarcasm voice]Get it right... I brought up the Sportivo before the Clio![/joking sarcasm voice]

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
yahuh... all cause of steffo.
Have a cry honey. :

:
Old 28-04-2008, 08:55 PM   #51
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
[joking sarcasm voice]Get it right... I brought up the Sportivo before the Clio![/joking sarcasm voice]

Have a cry honey. :
What ever its all in the detail, but I think most agree its your fault Steffo :
Lotus Trooper.
Old 29-04-2008, 02:24 AM   #52
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
What ever its all in the detail, but I think most agree its your fault Steffo :
Hey, the HSV vs RSC & Zetec isn't my fault!! :

:
Old 29-04-2008, 11:28 AM   #53
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:

Have a cry honey. :
hehehe cry... sure why not. ill cry due to the sheer amount of laughter im experienceing at your cost.

And Yes Mowog,

I agree with you that you agree with every1 else that its all his fault

Old 29-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #54
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
hehehe cry... sure why not. ill cry due to the sheer amount of laughter im experienceing at your cost.

And Yes Mowog,

I agree with you that you agree with every1 else that its all his fault
Sean the E-Warrior is at it once more!

:
Old 29-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #55
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Sean the E-Warrior is at it once more!
Says the Keyboard Warrior who ruins threads by comparing a Commodore to a clio when the thread is about a Ford Fiesta XR4? ohh and something about a sportivo?
:

Old 29-04-2008, 10:44 PM   #56
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Ladies ladies ladies, put the handbags down & step away from the keyboard...

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Old 29-04-2008, 11:08 PM   #57
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Says the Keyboard Warrior who ruins threads by comparing a Commodore to a clio when the thread is about a Ford Fiesta XR4? ohh and something about a sportivo?
:
Its funny that you call me a keyboard warrior, yet in real life, when people (myself included) openly make fun of, and laugh at you... you do nothing... except sit there and pout... ocasionally mumbling something to yourself in your high pitch squeaky voice. Nice work mate.

Also pay attention to the conversation, I did not bring up the HSV, somebody else did. I brought up the Sportivo when mowog said the XR4 is "too slow for him," in jest... since he was over the moon with his Sportivo which is a slower car then a XR4.

I keenly await your unintelligible response. Or maybe you'll just start pouting and mumbling to yourself in that high pitched voice of yours again??

:
Old 29-04-2008, 11:24 PM   #58
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Old 29-04-2008, 11:28 PM   #59
rodderz

No point this going any further
Closed Thread